The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 November 2020, 01:44 PM   #1
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
What’s in a name?

Interesting interaction today. I met with a couple guys in my fantasy football league for an impromptu lunch this afternoon. There were about six of us there and I had only met one previously; all great guys and it was a nice time but to the point. A gentleman I met for the first time was wearing a Nautilus. I am not very knowledgeable on PP and couldn’t tell you which exact one it was, but a very nice looking timepiece. I asked him about it, he smiled broadly and we had a mini WIS conversation, he told me how he had coveted it for years, finally pulled the trigger and was enjoying the heck out of wearing it every day. The other gentlemen overheard us and referring to the PP, asked: “What kind of watch is that?” He replied it was a Patek, which drew blank stares from everyone else at the table. Then someone asked me what kind of watch I had and of course I replied: “It’s a Rolex”

Their faces lit up like Christmas trees. You could see the astonishment on their faces as if they were looking at the hope diamond. I kind of wanted to explain that the man sitting next to me had a watch that was at least twice as expensive, but he just smiled, actually, it was kind of a smirk.

It just brought up an interesting truth. We WISes understand the value of high end watches other then Rolex, PP, AP, etc, but to the general public, the Rolex is the most valuable timepiece in the world. You can credit Rolex marketing (I guess) but it was really interesting.

I am not sure if this is good, bad, for Rolex owners, for owners of other high-end timepieces, it was just interesting. I welcome your comments

(Oh, and my fantasy team sucks )
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:51 PM   #2
arcampado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
No surprise here... 99% of the population have no idea about watches. Take the remaining 1% and only the true WIS population can differentiate Rolex from Patek or AP or VC etc. etc.
arcampado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:58 PM   #3
Pete26
Banned

I hear you, I had a friend call me today for my birthday and she asked what I got. I told her a Rolex and she asked how much that cost? I politely declined to answer and she said was it more than $500? I said yes and she went on to say another friend of hers likes watches something starting with L. I said Longines? And she said yes, a gold one. He wears only gold including a chunky necklace.

I said that Longines is respected brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pete26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:58 PM   #4
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
Not a big surprise to me... until we got together, my girlfriend thought a Citizen was and expensive watch. She had never heard of AP, Patek or any other high end piece.
Old 26 November 2020, 01:59 PM   #5
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
I have a good friend that is also into fine watches. He wont buy a Rolex for this exact reason. When his wife found out that I have one, her eyes just about bugged out of her head. He buys every other brand that I can think of (including a very glashutte that he just got). He buys these because she has no idea how much they cost or what they are.

Well, things got interesting this year. She got him a watch for his birthday! It's a shinola. She was so proud of herself and he is being a good sport about the gift. It's just interesting to see this play out.
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 02:49 PM   #6
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete26 View Post
I hear you, I had a friend call me today for my birthday and she asked what I got. I told her a Rolex and she asked how much that cost? I politely declined to answer and she said was it more than $500? I said yes and she went on to say another friend of hers likes watches something starting with L. I said Longines? And she said yes, a gold one. He wears only gold including a chunky necklace.

I said that Longines is respected brand.

You are gracious and kind, Sir.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 02:53 PM   #7
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
I have a good friend that is also into fine watches. He wont buy a Rolex for this exact reason. When his wife found out that I have one, her eyes just about bugged out of her head. He buys every other brand that I can think of (including a very glashutte that he just got). He buys these because she has no idea how much they cost or what they are.

Well, things got interesting this year. She got him a watch for his birthday! It's a shinola. She was so proud of herself and he is being a good sport about the gift. It's just interesting to see this play out.

Haha love it

owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 03:36 PM   #8
dba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Some of it is the marketing. Some of it is people knowing only a wee bit about any one subject. Harley-Davidson does the same thing, only to a larger extent. Anymore, they seem like a clothing and marketing company that also happens to sell motorcycles.

Whenever I talk to someone who doesn't know me and the conversation moves to travel, I tell them about my motorcycle trips. Inevitably, I’m asked, “What model of Harley do you ride?” When I explain that I don’t ride a Harley, their face goes blank as if there is no other motorcycle maker in the world.

Rolex has the same effect on people.
dba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 06:05 PM   #9
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Good story. Can’t say Ive ever encountered such a situation.

What Rolex where you wearing out of curiosity? For the record the steel nautilus doesn’t excite me either!
JSolution is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 06:15 PM   #10
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcampado View Post
no surprise here... 99% of the population have no idea about watches. Take the remaining 1% and only the true wis population can differentiate rolex from patek or ap or vc etc. Etc.
+1
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 09:35 PM   #11
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

It's arguably the most well known luxury watch brand in the world that even the bad people want a piece of the action too.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:12 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m not surprised either Paul.

I think the beauty of owning a Patek, AP or VC is that relatively speaking, no one outside of the watch world no’s what they are.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:30 PM   #13
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Good story and I find the deeper you go with other brands other than Rolex or Omega the less you have knowledge from the average non WIS.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:38 PM   #14
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Most people don't know what one even looks like, let alone costs. Maybe a pre-ceramic Sub or GMT because they've seen them on their holidays to Turkey. Daytona, forget about it. Might as well be a Citizen.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:44 PM   #15
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Had a similar experience at a dinner party where another guest was wearing a PP calatrava in yellow gold.

Like it or not, it comes with the territory of wearing a Rolex!
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 11:39 PM   #16
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

This is the reason why I say the model-name and never the brand when someone non-WIS asks.

"Oh it's a Cosmograph" or "Oyster Perpetual".
VonSomething is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:50 AM   #17
04jtb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613, SMP
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
This is the reason why I say the model-name and never the brand when someone non-WIS asks.

I thought I was the only one that did this
04jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:12 AM   #18
owl.
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Citizen Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post

Smart!

owl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:17 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Great story; yes Rolex does have a name like no other watch. It used to be that many collectors used to look down on them. I've never really understood why, in truth. Although there are great Pateks they don't grab my interest!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:24 AM   #20
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Good story. Can’t say Ive ever encountered such a situation.

What Rolex where you wearing out of curiosity? For the record the steel nautilus doesn’t excite me either!
New steel Sub, 126610
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:25 AM   #21
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

You mean nobody bowed down to him because it was a Nautilus? Just kidding. Agree with your sentiments. He sounds like a cool guy who actually wants and enjoys the watch. Refreshing to hear that part too.

Imagine if he had an MB&F or Urwerk. Your other friends would have thought he bought a Diesel Jeans watch from a mall kiosk. But likewise I doubt he would care.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conspicuous consumption , prominent