The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 October 2018, 09:44 PM   #31
ytsethunder
"TRF" Member

AD conversation today, Tudor scarcity

Here in the UK, there appears to be limited supply. Everyone I have spoken to has quoted into next year for delivery of a GMT.

I ordered mine in mid-June and collected it only two weeks ago. Another AD supplied me at the beginning of July after having taken my name down in March, but that was imperfect and had to be returned to Tudor. They said they’d offer me the next one delivered, but it appears they either haven’t had one or have ignored me. Probably the latter, but the former isn’t beyond the realm of possibility.

On the other hand, one retail group in Naples (two stores) had a 58 and a GMT (both SS) in the window when I went in September. It would appear, like others have said, the shortage isn’t everywhere. Important to note in the UK’s case that Tudor likely has a lower margin on goods sold here, such is the nature of exchange rates.

I believe the supply constraints aren’t to manipulate the market, but to ensure even supply throughout the lifespan of the model. It’s unwise to install just enough capacity to meet the initial demand, only to be left with extra inventory and unused production lines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ytsethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:27 PM   #32
onemany
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Called my AD today inquiring on the possibility of getting a Tudor GMT. She said she has seen a total of two GMT's come through their store since the release. She said newest Tudors have become nearly as scarce as the Rolex models. I'm on the list but who knows how long it will be.

She also commented that they have zero stainless professional Rolex models in stock and they have been told by Rolex not to expect anything in before next year.

Although the Rolex supply situation sounded very familiar, it was pretty surprising to here the issues they are having getting the hot Tudor models in stock as well.

Just figured I'd pass the info along...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
It's a business model that Rolex feels they are being successful with so why not try to replicate it with Tudor?

Personally, I feel that they are alienating part of their customer base but it would appear that false exclusivity activates other areas of their customer base.
onemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:58 AM   #33
|404|
Banned

Main Rolex dealer for my area also stocks Tudor and I asked about a 58 and she said she hasn't had any in for months... with no expectation of getting any until way after Xmas plus a waitlist of 11 people...

Same with another local Tudor dealer.
|404| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 12:59 AM   #34
novae500
"TRF" Member

hope this short supply will go away

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:10 AM   #35
2kbluer6
"TRF" Member

Wow. Saw all 3 variants of the BB58 in Dubai yesterday and the dealer was discounting as well.
2kbluer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:13 AM   #36
Eric-London
"TRF" Member

There are plenty about and a few hundred pounds premium will get you one instantly. Not fortunes.
Eric-London is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:17 AM   #37
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

I've been 'next' on waiting list for at least 2 months for a BB58 in UK.

I doubt there's been many instances in last few years where a Tudor AD has had anything on a waiting list? Probably a steady flow of BB's kept most customer bases happy in the past ...

Dunno, but with virtually every AD in the world having a list of a handful of buyers for GMT & 58s would be a massive increase in demand ? Not sure how you could increase production to cope with that kind of increase in demand ?? ... not in a few months anyway. ... or...would you actually want to ? (now we are in Rolex territory)
nigelUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 04:04 AM   #38
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
The gmt has issues with the date - this may be behind the slow supply to the market. If you look at what happened with the bronze and the LHD, they were like hens teeth for a year and trading at big premiums. Now they are in every window.

At this price point, I suspect they will become more available maybe after Basel next year. Else, all that will happen is that people will wander across to the omega display.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 04:08 AM   #39
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Figured I'd revive this thread just to give you and update. Been conversing with my AD for a couple months now trying to secure a Tudor GMT. No luck as of yet. She told me they received none in the most recent shipment. I inquired about leaving a deposit and got the following response:

"Hi xxxxxx. They won't let me take a deposit for the Tudor. It's so rare that we see one, and there are so many people that want it, they won't even let us order one! I'll keep you posted but it is going to be a very long time. Have a wonderful holiday!!"

Just thought I'd pass along since I'm not the only one trying to get a hold of this watch.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:44 AM   #40
rogerlu
"TRF" Member

It all depends where you are, I guess. I was able to acquire one with very minimum effort. I went in the store, asked about it, put down $1000 deposit (as the AD suggested), and the BB58 came in two weeks. I ended up passing it to another collector in the area for the watch didn't really sing to me. However, the wait is nowhere nearly as bad as the Rolex professional models.
rogerlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 05:57 AM   #41
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Figured I'd revive this thread just to give you and update. Been conversing with my AD for a couple months now trying to secure a Tudor GMT. No luck as of yet. She told me they received none in the most recent shipment. I inquired about leaving a deposit and got the following response:

"Hi xxxxxx. They won't let me take a deposit for the Tudor. It's so rare that we see one, and there are so many people that want it, they won't even let us order one! I'll keep you posted but it is going to be a very long time. Have a wonderful holiday!!"

Just thought I'd pass along since I'm not the only one trying to get a hold of this watch.
why not just buy this (or a similar offering)? i am confused.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=640774

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:03 AM   #42
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
why not just buy this (or a similar offering)? i am confused.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=640774
I looked at that same listing earlier today. Two reasons I guess, well three. Would prefer new with my name on warranty card, prefer to pay the MSRP of 3,900 instead of paying a premium, and I have some loyalty to this AD for some reason, maybe because I've probably been driving her crazy with all my emails.

The longer this goes, and the lower the grey prices get, the closer I am to pulling the trigger on one.
Old 21 November 2018, 06:05 AM   #43
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Here's another one at a good price if anyone else is looking to buy used:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=640797
Old 21 November 2018, 06:11 AM   #44
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
I understand the loyalty and wanting your name on the card. That being said the price listed in the above link is only $4,050 so unless you are getting your watch tax free you're still going to be under the cost of paying MSRP.

The price is a few hundred under what I paid for mine from my AD at MSRP plus tax.
Either way you choose I wish you luck and it's a great watch to own.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:37 AM   #45
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhayden View Post
I understand the loyalty and wanting your name on the card. That being said the price listed in the above link is only $4,050 so unless you are getting your watch tax free you're still going to be under the cost of paying MSRP.

The price is a few hundred under what I paid for mine from my AD at MSRP plus tax.
Either way you choose I wish you luck and it's a great watch to own.
I am getting it tax free.

I'm not in a huge rush so for now I'll sit tight. I suspect by the middle of next year these will become plentiful like most Tudor models. Or..... I could be wrong
Old 21 November 2018, 06:45 AM   #46
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I've wrote it a while ago but BB58s are readily available at AD's in (most of) Europe. Walked around again this past saturday and they are sitting in the windows.

Never seen a GMT though.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:51 AM   #47
Rolex85
"TRF" Member

my AD told me they got the same news from Rolex with regards to 'don't expect any SS until next year'
Rolex85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:52 AM   #48
avidflyer
2024 Pledge Member

some are listed for retail in the classifieds... saw a nib one today for retail
avidflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:56 AM   #49
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex85 View Post
my AD told me they got the same news from Rolex with regards to 'don't expect any SS until next year'
Add me to the list of people that have heard virtually this exact same verbiage from an AD. "We've been told not to expect any before the end of the year."

Meanwhile another AD here had an Exp, an Exp II, a SD and a YM.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 06:56 AM   #50
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash21 View Post
got my Tudor GMT a couple of weeks ago, having ordered in June. However today I have taken it back to the AD as it has the date wheel issue. Pretty poor.
Sorry to hear that, but I agree that's pretty poor and the reason I've been hesitant to buy one. There was a thread recently and I think 1/4 of the people polled had the date wheel problem. I've not heard anything bad about the BB58 which I assume runs well with it's simple complication. Hope you get it fixed quickly. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 07:00 AM   #51
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex85 View Post
Maybe the ADs are holding them back for the VIPs during the holiday shopping season so they can package them with other expensive high margin jewellery. My 2 cents.
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:36 AM   #52
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

I passed up my opportunity on a Tudor GMT last weekend after being put on a list a month ago. The GMT was not on display however they had a Fifty-Eight on a leather strap and another on NATO in the display for the first time in recent visits. I tried on the Fifty-Eight, they're beautiful and of a pleasing size. The Fifty-Eight does seem dainty against a Black Bay. Also, the coin edge does make the watch appear slightly smaller than the vintage Tudors with shiny saw tooth bezel edges.

Buyers seem to be loving the classic inspired designs lately. I feel the Pelagos series have fallen out of favour at the moment. The Bronze and LHD used to be very scarce but have since been readily purchasable.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:00 AM   #53
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I was trying to see a 58, waiting for two ADs to call me just to look at one but Tudor must still be trying to catch up with the date issue on the Gmts and I know many people are waiting for calls from my ADs, they're so hot..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:24 AM   #54
Fallranger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk (116610LV)
Looks like 3-6 month wait even on the grey market unless you’re at the right place at the right time.
Fallranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 10:33 AM   #55
Rilz
"TRF" Member

I don't believe the shortage, my AD has two.
Rilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 01:25 AM   #56
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Look at this lil nugget just sitting in the window, barely visible since it's a bit hidden.

I was having doubts, should I try it out or not, should I get it just because, but I didn't end up inside. I rather get a 16710.

Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 01:34 AM   #57
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Look at this lil nugget just sitting in the window, barely visible since it's a bit hidden.

I was having doubts, should I try it out or not, should I get it just because, but I didn't end up inside. I rather get a 16710.

If you want a 16710 you should hold out for a 16710. But I have owned both and for me I prefer the Tudor because for my wrist the dimensions of the Tudor fit me much better. The 16710 wears much smaller, so it's all in what fits you best.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Tags
availability , scarcity