The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 March 2017, 11:50 PM   #61
FK77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT II BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Really? What is the going rate from an AD in Amsterdam for a SubC black dial/ bezel if you don't mind me asking?
The list prices are higher than the UK in Netherlands but if you get a discount that might change things. 2 years ago I was offered a 10% discount on a SS GMT II LN by the Rolex Boutique at Gassan Diamonds BV (NOT the Gassan store at Dam Square) which, if I remember correctly, would have brought the price below UK retail even at the lower UK prices back then. I put my name on their BLNR list and declined the LN as I was feeling adventurous and wanted to try my luck at Gassan Schiphol Airport for a better discount (effectively 18%). Gassan Schiphol don't reveal their stock over the phone/email (not to me anyway). They didn't have the GMT on display and denied having any stock. After a lot of persistence they decided to "check inside" and I returned to London with my first Rolex and about £1000 cheaper than UK retail! Earlier this year I bought a Lady DateJust from Schiphol for my wife and got even more discount over the standard 18% after a lot of haggling but it wasn't a SS model.

Oh and Gassan BV did call me a few months after my visit informing me they had a BLNR and I could have it. There was zero discount which combined with a trip to Amsterdam especially to pick it up didn't sound very attractive compared to the 2015 UK price. So I let it go and regretted later but less than when I saw one in the window readily available at Fraser Hart, Brent Cross in December 2015 and didn't buy I am a little wiser now.
FK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 02:24 AM   #62
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
. So I let it go and regretted later but less than when I saw one in the window readily available at Fraser Hart, Brent Cross in December 2015 and didn't buy I am a little wiser now.
Weird, I picked up my BLNR from Fraser Hart in Brent Cross in Oct 2015 and had to wait for months and months to get it. In the end I paid full list up front and they found another store with one and transferred it over. Seems strange to have such a big wait and then two months later the same watch is in the window.
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 02:47 AM   #63
FK77
"TRF" Member

It does sound strange. I even remember the exact date as it was my wife's birthday. They didn't give me any BS about it being reserved for someone etc. and I had never even bought anything from them before so obviously not a "preferred customer". I could have walked out with it that day if it wasn't for my indecisiveness. I guess those days are gone now because any gents' SS I have seen in AD windows lately are Milgauss, YM and can't remember if it was Air King or Explorer.
Old 9 March 2017, 02:52 AM   #64
wb55
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't buy another watch from FH. Very happy with the guy who sold me the BLNR but since he left they don't have anyone who likes their job or is into watches and it really shows.

I think for my next watch I will buy through an AD out of London or hope for something in duty free.
Old 9 March 2017, 03:29 AM   #65
FK77
"TRF" Member

Christian @ FH who me and the Mrs. discussed buying her watch with, towards end of last year, was very nice and knowledgeable. He did spend more time talking to me about the BLNR on my wrist and about the potential future value of D-Blue as a safe investment than he did about the Lady DateJust we were actually interested in. But he seemed to know his stuff. I actually felt guilty about wasting his time and not buying in the end ... although the feeling changed when I was able to make substantial savings buying the same watch in Amsterdam later

I can also recommend the FH guy who I should've bought the BLNR from back in Dec '15. I don't remember his name and don't know if he is still there.
Old 9 March 2017, 03:45 AM   #66
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Christian @ FH who me and the Mrs. discussed buying her watch with, towards end of last year, was very nice and knowledgeable. He did spend more time talking to me about the BLNR on my wrist and about the potential future value of D-Blue as a safe investment than he did about the Lady DateJust we were actually interested in. But he seemed to know his stuff. I actually felt guilty about wasting his time and not buying in the end ... although the feeling changed when I was able to make substantial savings buying the same watch in Amsterdam later

I can also recommend the FH guy who I should've bought the BLNR from back in Dec '15. I don't remember his name and don't know if he is still there.
Wasn't Chris by any chance? He's a great guy and used to work there.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 04:07 AM   #67
FK77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
Does ring a bell so possibly yes I am not very good with names.
Old 9 March 2017, 04:25 AM   #68
kelv_w
"TRF" Member

I was in Amsterdam last month and no popular SS at the window. It was looking very similar to UK ADs window display.

Gassan at Schipol Airport was slightly better with SD on display and a Milgauss and lots of DJs. Other than that SS section was pretty bare but the prices were really good at the airport.
kelv_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 04:31 AM   #69
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:

Yes it would have been Chris. Fantastic guy, very helpful and good to deal with.
Old 9 March 2017, 04:50 AM   #70
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
Yes it would have been Chris. Fantastic guy, very helpful and good to deal with.
He and his brother were good guys who knew their stuff and loved to talk. Not sure if he went to Watchcentre with Chris.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 04:52 AM   #71
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb55 View Post
Most likely if he was happy to talk watches all day long, great guy and now at Watch Centre (Bond St)
Old 9 March 2017, 04:53 AM   #72
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
He and his brother were good guys who knew their stuff and loved to talk. Not sure if he went to Watchcentre with Chris.
As far as I'm aware his brother is still at FH

Purchased my first ever Rolex from his families business.
Old 9 March 2017, 07:31 AM   #73
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
That's strange as every UK AD I have spoken to are not allowed to ship. Collection from store only, which is obviously a pain and restricts you to only deal with local AD's, unless you're happy to put the mileage in of course.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 07:46 AM   #74
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
That's strange as every UK AD I have spoken to are not allowed to ship. Collection from store only, which is obviously a pain and restricts you to only deal with local AD's, unless you're happy to put the mileage in of course.

It isn't just AD's, it's an insurance issue for the retailer as the transaction will (more than likely) be by card and chip and pin isn't used. If it turns out to be fraud the retailer isn't covered. Standard rules for cardholder not present transactions. I guess the yanks have different rules.

This is only for bricks and mortar stores, any type, not just jewellery.
Old 9 March 2017, 07:51 AM   #75
Baz99
"TRF" Member

I have seen Sub ND, explorer 2 in black and white, GMT 2 LN, all colours of Milgauss and TT daytonas sitting in shop windows over the last few months all in Scotland.
I put my name on a waiting list with 2 AD's for a BLNR on the 5th of January they both phoned me within 4 weeks to say they had 1 available, I had also tried to get my name on a list with Laings and they weren't even prepared to take my name after buying 3 watches from them in the last 2 years.
I would suggest avoiding the city centre AD's in Scotland and try the smaller ones.
Baz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 07:55 AM   #76
SC11
Banned

Chains will ship between stores and some AD's will ship if paid by bank transfer.
Old 9 March 2017, 08:05 AM   #77
Baz99
"TRF" Member

I have seen Sub ND, GMT 2 LN, Explorer 2 in black and white, all colour of Milgauss and 3 TT daytonas all in Scotland in the last few months.

I asked to get me name on the list for a BLNR in Laings Edinburgh, they wouldn't even take my name and I have purchased 3 watches from them in the last 2 years. I then put my name down with 2 local AD's for a BLNR on the 5th January, they both contacted me within 4 weeks to say they have 1 available, unfortunately there were no discounts available.
Baz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 08:10 AM   #78
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz99 View Post
I have seen Sub ND, GMT 2 LN, Explorer 2 in black and white, all colour of Milgauss and 3 TT daytonas all in Scotland in the last few months.

I asked to get me name on the list for a BLNR in Laings Edinburgh, they wouldn't even take my name and I have purchased 3 watches from them in the last 2 years. I then put my name down with 2 local AD's for a BLNR on the 5th January, they both contacted me within 4 weeks to say they have 1 available, unfortunately there were no discounts available.

A post like that really does make you wonder if it's worth having a relationship with an AD. Three watches in two years and he refused to even put you on the list when two local ADs did and got you the watch with a month. Shocking.
Old 9 March 2017, 09:53 AM   #79
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Quote:
Chains will ship between stores and some AD's will ship if paid by bank transfer.
I paid by bank transfer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 10:36 AM   #80
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Ive even had a Rolex dealer post to me outside the UK - yes its naughty but I guess they do if you have a good relationship!
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 10:43 AM   #81
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Ive even had a Rolex dealer post to me outside the UK - yes its naughty but I guess they do if you have a good relationship!
And what happens if the package doesn't arrive? A nightmare scenario ensues I can imagine.
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 10:51 AM   #82
nckwlch
"TRF" Member

UK waiting list - sport watches

Last year my local AD in London (Watches of Switz - royal exchange) told me all sport watches had a waiting list in UK. Last summer i joined waiting list for a Submariner ND and a bi-metal GMT II. Recently, After missing one phone call (apparently), they removed my name from list. By chance i visited the dealer last week and they had just received a Sub the day before - they let me buy it (!) at £450 increase over the price current when i put my name down for it. I paid £5450. I reckon it will be £6,000 before the year is out but it leaves a bad taste having to pay extra for waiting. No doubt brexit and the £ will be cited as the reason(s).
nckwlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 10:54 AM   #83
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And what happens if the package doesn't arrive? A nightmare scenario ensues I can imagine.
Dealer has their own private insurance so never a problem, I have to sign for it also

Ive had at least 15 watches posted to me from the UK with no issues, I know people here who get Pateks posted from London to the Far East which makes my purchase look like G Shocks!! :)
Old 9 March 2017, 07:01 PM   #84
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You don't have to travel in the UK, I got a tip from this forum of a Subc in Manchester and called them up, and they posted it to me RMSD the next day, easy as pie. There's no worries with an AD and a new watch. You won't get a discount this way but that is the norm now, altho I got a free tie so I technically got £100 back.

Unless you have Euros, EU is too expensive now.
Pics! Eat your heart out Parky.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 07:27 PM   #85
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Nope. Some ADs have shipped me watches using Royal Mail, and this was for a BLNR. But I had to pay by bank transfer and not credit card.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 07:51 PM   #86
defmix
"TRF" Member

Pop to Switzerland.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0225.JPG (104.7 KB, 120 views)
defmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 08:04 PM   #87
Twenty
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I wanted a BLNR and was told by my London AD that I was 6th on their list and they usually received one every 1 to 2 months... Six weeks later I got the call.

When I picked up the watch and asked why so quick they said, three didn't answer, one had already obtained one, and the other didn't have the funds.

Whether this is typical or not I don't know, but the moral of the story is, if you want one and have the funds get your name down.
Twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2017, 08:18 PM   #88
FK77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by defmix View Post
Pop to Switzerland.....
It was a population very similar to your pic where I got my BLNR from (Bucherer Lucerne)!
Old 9 March 2017, 08:19 PM   #89
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty View Post
I wanted a BLNR and was told by my London AD that I was 6th on their list and they usually received one every 1 to 2 months... Six weeks later I got the call.

When I picked up the watch and asked why so quick they said, three didn't answer, one had already obtained one, and the other didn't have the funds.

Whether this is typical or not I don't know, but the moral of the story is, if you want one and have the funds get your name down.

Yup this is typical I would say! So many people are time wasters
Old 9 March 2017, 08:33 PM   #90
wb55
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Yup this is typical I would say! So many people are time wasters

Six people on a list, one already bought elsewhere, one didn't have the funds and three didn't answer the phone. I only see one time waster.

Tags
availability , united kingdom