The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12 December 2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Polarbears
Banned

Watch: 16570
Tudor Black Bay Black ETA “Black Rose” how high will prices go?

6 Bids $3500 SOLD
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Tudor-Heritag...app-cvip-panel

How high can you imagine these things going?
Less than 3,000 made I could be wrong but I think $10,000 in the next few years is not unreasonable. There is a ton of demand and they seem to sell in seconds when you see them on the boards.

It’s my favorite watch and I will not be selling mine ever. But I do find the price insanity a fun thing to witness on any watch and rare Tudors seem to garner insane money at times.

Is there anything modern and comparable as far as rarity and price climbing? Maybe the Omega Snoopy?
Old 12 December 2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Uncle00Jesse
"TRF" Member

I love mine as much as the next guy.. but 10 grand in a few years? No way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 December 2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post
I love mine as much as the next guy.. but 10 grand in a few years? No way

That is gorgeous I own one and seeing others pics and each time it’s just as special. The $10,000 Number is arbitrary I based it on a few Tudor Subs I’ve seen sell.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:11 PM   #4
osamu
"TRF" Member

I can't see them selling for more than a brand new in-house model. I mean I love the ETA, but I'm not pay a premium for it. I do kinda regret not jumping on one like a year ago.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post
I can't see them selling for more than a brand new in-house model. I mean I love the ETA, but I'm not pay a premium for it. I do kinda regret not jumping on one like a year ago.
I passed on many ETA at first and bought two in house instead. I wanted the best and newest technology. Then I tried a friends on and was sold. The black Bezel just has charm that is hard to describe and I love the Rose logo so much more than the shield. Plus the ETA is thinner. It wears better than the in house. I must say I do like the rivet bracelet of the in house which is contrary to many but the best bracelet on the ETA Black Rose is the Ranger bracelet, so nice without the end links.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #6
Uncle00Jesse
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarbears View Post
That is gorgeous I own one and seeing others pics and each time it’s just as special. The $10,000 Number is arbitrary I based it on a few Tudor Subs I’ve seen sell.
Yeah, I think what is going to hurt this model for long term value is the faux vintage dial. I love it and I think it looks great, but not sure how desirable asthetically it will be later on.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle00Jesse View Post
Yeah, I think what is going to hurt this model for long term value is the faux vintage dial. I love it and I think it looks great, but not sure how desirable asthetically it will be later on.
That’s a good point how will the faux age? Might age really well or??
Old 12 December 2017, 12:37 PM   #8
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I don’t personally see it. I saw one new at an AD 6 weeks ago. It was on leather, not the bracelet, but if the watch was truly that hot, it would have been gone 6 months ago. And doesn’t the Black Bay currently retail at $3600? Selling below MSRP even with rampant speculation that it will be valuable in the future tells me the market just isn’t there for it.

The other limited edition blacks bays are going to hurt it as well: Harrods and the BBBBB.

But if the Black Bay launches Tudor to greater prominence, especially beyond the world of WIS, then it could certainly be very valuable in the future, as that would be THE Black Bay for collectors. It’s also a GREAT watch to wear in the meantime!
Old 12 December 2017, 12:44 PM   #9
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I don’t personally see it. I saw one new at an AD 6 weeks ago. It was on leather, not the bracelet, but if the watch was truly that hot, it would have been gone 6 months ago. And doesn’t the Black Bay currently retail at $3600? Selling below MSRP even with rampant speculation that it will be valuable in the future tells me the market just isn’t there for it.

The other limited edition blacks bays are going to hurt it as well: Harrods and the BBBBB.

But if the Black Bay launches Tudor to greater prominence, especially beyond the world of WIS, then it could certainly be very valuable in the future, as that would be THE Black Bay for collectors. It’s also a GREAT watch to wear in the meantime!

You will get a flood of PM’s asking where. I know firsthand. Love the Harrods green but it’s got the shield which imo is not as nice looking.
Old 12 December 2017, 12:56 PM   #10
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
I passed on many ETA at first and bought two in house instead. I wanted the best and newest technology. Then I tried a friends on and was sold. The black Bezel just has charm that is hard to describe and I love the Rose logo so much more than the shield. Plus the ETA is thinner. It wears better than the in house. I must say I do like the rivet bracelet of the in house which is contrary to many but the best bracelet on the ETA Black Rose is the Ranger bracelet, so nice without the end links.

Mmmmm Hmmmmm

Old 12 December 2017, 01:02 PM   #11
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Mmmmm Hmmmmm

Exactly! Thanks for posting that as I don’t have my ranger bracelet handy.
Old 12 December 2017, 02:12 PM   #12
bbressler
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp, GMTII, Sub
Got almost no offers on mine earlier this year and had to sell at a big loss to a trusted seller. One trusted seller wouldn’t even make an offer because he got several inquiries a week from people wanting to sell them.
Old 12 December 2017, 02:30 PM   #13
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

If ETA BBBs will be special, that is likely to take some time, maybe decades. And only if ETA becomes to Tudor BBBs what Zenith became to Rolex Daytonas in the eyes of collectors. Low production numbers are a plus, but only Tudor/Rolex know how many were made and they ain't saying.
Old 12 December 2017, 03:33 PM   #14
josephvman
Banned

I don’t see them hitting $10k, but by your logic are you saying that none of the old Tudors with their ETA movements should be selling for more than the new in-house models?

BTW, there are still plenty of brand new BB ETA’s at AD’s if you check around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osamu View Post
Old 12 December 2017, 03:43 PM   #15
liuk3
"TRF" Member

I love my ETA BBB, but I didn't buy it as an investment. I don't really care what others think that it is worth because I'm not going to sell it. That being said, it was not a very expensive watch and the cheapest of all my automatic watches, so I wouldn't expect it to be worth much in the future. But, I do love the look of it just as much as my Rolexes, and I guess that's what ultimately matters.
Old 12 December 2017, 03:57 PM   #16
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
I love my ETA BBB, but I didn't buy it as an investment. I don't really care what others think that it is worth because I'm not going to sell it. That being said, it was not a very expensive watch and the cheapest of all my automatic watches, so I wouldn't expect it to be worth much in the future. But, I do love the look of it just as much as my Rolexes, and I guess that's what ultimately matters.
Hey, they cost more than Subs did in the ‘60s, so who knows??
Old 12 December 2017, 04:32 PM   #17
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Hey, they cost more than Subs did in the ‘60s, so who knows??

Ha ha. 🤞
Old 12 December 2017, 08:59 PM   #18
perry731
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I don’t see them hitting $10k, but by your logic are you saying that none of the old Tudors with their ETA movements should be selling for more than the new in-house models?

BTW, there are still plenty of brand new BB ETA’s at AD’s if you check around.
Sorry, only the Black Bay Black ETA 79220N with bracelet had short production run and is collectible. Other Colors - Red or Blue BB are flooded in the market.
Old 12 December 2017, 10:28 PM   #19
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
I don't think they will sell for more than a brand new in house , recently David SW had a few for his thanksgiving sale for $2,475 , and there are still a few sitting at AD's, I saw one a few months ago at an AD in Miami (Mayor's) they had a mix of old ETA's and new in house, don't know if they still have them but back then the In house was a few hundreds more than the ETA.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:18 PM   #20
karmatp
"TRF" Member

Come on man, it will never happen. The demand will never be there.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:25 PM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Far too optimistic, even in these heady inflation days. Most excess demand I think comes form SM and forum hype so I think new hard to get models are the real risers.
Old 12 December 2017, 11:41 PM   #22
Smarties
"TRF" Member

I think it will take a long long time......Although it's kinda limited in quantity, Tudor is not as sought after as Rolex.....
Old 12 December 2017, 11:51 PM   #23
swisscheeses
Banned

This is interesting... The BBN (Noir) BBB (is the blue)... sorry to be picky... right I'll carry on... The BBN was only produced for a few months, not a special edition, just Tudor decided to change the movement, then at the same time the dial logo changed to the shield.

The generic ETA first generation was sold in there thousands, the vintage appeal and winning awards for it catapulted Tudor back in the spot light, then they launched, what fans had wanted all along... the Red triangle version!

Supply was short and these sold quickly at AD's, then over night the in-house arrived!! So, dealers had two versions in stock, same price... if you was a newbie to Tudor why would you have an older model, also some fan boys (not really knowing the history of the brand) got all excited over the inhouse... as a result some AD had a hard time selling the ETA version, some are still knocking around, but in strange far off places!

Now the future value... these ARE a rare watch, its not a limited edition, its just a VERY low production model... which for the collector is more important that a flashed up colour changed edition... values WILL go up and we are already staring to see prices slowly going up for the ETA's... when the Noir model does come up, they sell in hours! True fact... Watchfinder had two listed, within 2 hours both sold!!!

10k... never, but over 5k, I can see this happening sooner rather than later.

Watch (no pun intended) this space!
Old 13 December 2017, 01:09 AM   #24
Polarbears
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscheeses View Post
This is interesting... The BBN (Noir) BBB (is the blue)... sorry to be picky... right I'll carry on... The BBN was only produced for a few months, not a special edition, just Tudor decided to change the movement, then at the same time the dial logo changed to the shield.

The generic ETA first generation was sold in there thousands, the vintage appeal and winning awards for it catapulted Tudor back in the spot light, then they launched, what fans had wanted all along... the Red triangle version!

Supply was short and these sold quickly at AD's, then over night the in-house arrived!! So, dealers had two versions in stock, same price... if you was a newbie to Tudor why would you have an older model, also some fan boys (not really knowing the history of the brand) got all excited over the inhouse... as a result some AD had a hard time selling the ETA version, some are still knocking around, but in strange far off places!

Now the future value... these ARE a rare watch, its not a limited edition, its just a VERY low production model... which for the collector is more important that a flashed up colour changed edition... values WILL go up and we are already staring to see prices slowly going up for the ETA's... when the Noir model does come up, they sell in hours! True fact... Watchfinder had two listed, within 2 hours both sold!!!

This is a good overview and I think you are correct $5k very soon is easy to imagine.
Old 13 December 2017, 09:25 AM   #25
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
6 Bids $3500 SOLD

Less than 3,000 made I could be wrong but I think $10,000 in the next few years is not unreasonable. There is a ton of demand and they seem to sell in seconds when you see them on the boards.

It’s my favorite watch and I will not be selling mine ever. But I do find the price insanity a fun thing to witness on any watch and rare Tudors seem to garner insane money at times.

Is there anything modern and comparable as far as rarity and price climbing? Maybe the Omega Snoopy?
I'm thinking the blue one will be one to have as well. No forced patina

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 13 December 2017, 10:07 AM   #26
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
6 Bids $3500 SOLD

I watched that auction as well and was considering it when it was reasonably priced. At that price no way Jose. I have a hard time believing they'll ever really go much higher than that. From what I understand there are still some at the ADs.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 13 December 2017, 10:32 AM   #27
Danny83
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
It may be worth 5k in say 5-8 years
Old 13 December 2017, 11:12 AM   #28
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
All very interesting indeed! I've had my ETA BBB (black with braclet) since late 2015 and appreciated it's vintage vibe, but was surprised by the short run before the COSC version was introduced. If indeed less than 3000 were made worldwide, that's a pretty short run. Use of ETA movements, Tudor rose logo and the smiley "self winding" are part of the Tudor heritage. Prices might be higher now due to the Rolex sports model shortages with buyers seeking alternatives. Nice watch though with lots of character. I'll be keeping mine. Cheers!

PS: For those that didn't see the Hodinkee review (2015), here it is:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-by-john-mayer
Old 13 December 2017, 03:41 PM   #29
perry731
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscheeses View Post

There’s 3000 pieces of BBN worldwide..... seems it is still quite a lot. No? I think the price will go up to over US$5k in 5-10years and the price of a Rolex Sub no date will be the ceiling.
Old 13 December 2017, 03:57 PM   #30
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
It's plateaued. Maybe will drop back to $3k.

All you need is another 'it' model and the cash in these gets flipped to the next one, resulting in less demand and lower prices. Happened to many many Rolex Tudors in the last 10 years.
Closed Thread

Tags
black bay , black rose , eta , rolex , tudor