The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 August 2018, 07:26 AM   #31
green_dial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202, LVc, DSOTM
Good job on getting the Lv and BLNR.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar position. I'll have been waiting for 2 years in October for a Daytona C from an small independent AD that I've know for years and have bought from since being on the wait list. It was even indirectly confirmed that they prioritise people who have spent a lot with them, rather than going through the 'list'. For me at least, AD relationship counts for nothing.
green_dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 09:52 AM   #32
Orthogonal
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713LN
When we all retire and you get your Daytona, we should have a party. This is without a doubt one of the best threads on TRF right now.
Orthogonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 10:00 AM   #33
Brazicano
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710blnr
Wow You’re lucky you even got those 2 that fast. Probably a couple years on the Daytona, best of luck!
Brazicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 10:33 AM   #34
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_dial View Post
Good job on getting the Lv and BLNR.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in a similar position. I'll have been waiting for 2 years in October for a Daytona C from an small independent AD that I've know for years and have bought from since being on the wait list. It was even indirectly confirmed that they prioritise people who have spent a lot with them, rather than going through the 'list'. For me at least, AD relationship counts for nothing.
Not downplaying your experience, I lived that when I lived in PA. My recent experience has been the exact opposite. I moved to a new city and started a relationship with a new AD. I went in, introduced myself and told them what I wanted - the scarce Daytona C. They put me on the “list”. Over the next 18 months I visited often, talked watches, and gave them some business. Some small jewelry items for my wife and a SS sub date I gifted to a friend. The salesperson and I are now friends and I have an advocate with the owner who knows I am local, not a flipper and someone with whom more business was possible. 18 months in I got my Daytona C. The owner wanted to meet the guy he had heard so much about and handled the delivery of my new Daytona C himself. I don’t know where I stood on the list but I am 100% sure I was no where near a big spender for this store.
Two weeks later I picked up a SD43 when the 1st buyer turned it down and they put it in the case.
I value their consideration of my business and I think it’s fair to say they value me as a customer. I’m sure the Pepsi gmt won’t be far off.
Sorry for the long post, but I would suggest those still waiting for their scarce pieces to not underestimate the value of a relationship over pure spending.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2018, 10:59 AM   #35
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
6 months in and you already got 2 highly desired watches. There was a another guy on here with goals to get them 3 watches from AD's and he succeeded.

Here's the link
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=571886
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 07:21 AM   #36
green_dial
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202, LVc, DSOTM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Geezer View Post
Not downplaying your experience, I lived that when I lived in PA. My recent experience has been the exact opposite. I moved to a new city and started a relationship with a new AD. I went in, introduced myself and told them what I wanted - the scarce Daytona C. They put me on the “list”. Over the next 18 months I visited often, talked watches, and gave them some business. Some small jewelry items for my wife and a SS sub date I gifted to a friend. The salesperson and I are now friends and I have an advocate with the owner who knows I am local, not a flipper and someone with whom more business was possible. 18 months in I got my Daytona C. The owner wanted to meet the guy he had heard so much about and handled the delivery of my new Daytona C himself. I don’t know where I stood on the list but I am 100% sure I was no where near a big spender for this store.
Two weeks later I picked up a SD43 when the 1st buyer turned it down and they put it in the case.
I value their consideration of my business and I think it’s fair to say they value me as a customer. I’m sure the Pepsi gmt won’t be far off.
Sorry for the long post, but I would suggest those still waiting for their scarce pieces to not underestimate the value of a relationship over pure spending.
Good story! Sounds like you made yourself known with all the people that mattered and showed you were an enthusiast

I'll be visiting them soon, so we'll see how it goes.
green_dial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 07:32 AM   #37
Old Geezer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126619LB and more
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_dial View Post
Good story! Sounds like you made yourself known with all the people that mattered and showed you were an enthusiast

I'll be visiting them soon, so we'll see how it goes.
Thanks. I really hope it works out for you. I know how frustrating it feels fwhen you feel played by an AD or any retailer for that matter.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 October 2018, 10:11 PM   #38
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
September 2018 :

Visited my AD a few times in late Aug and Sept. Had 2 watches serviced with them and purchased some jewelry for the mrs and me.

Regarding SS prof watches, I saw YM and SeaDweller on display in Aug. Saw a Milgauss last month.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:33 AM   #39
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Why are you at your post?? TK421 do you copy?
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:39 AM   #40
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

To summarize, your quest for a Daytona has resulted in two AD purchases of watches you were not after and you will still buy a Daytona... Anyone think the Rolex strategy isnt working now?

congrats on the watches.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 October 2018, 12:45 AM   #41
Odie-r
"TRF" Member

At least you got two nice pieces so far. Congrats!
Old 9 October 2018, 05:53 AM   #42
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

thanks.

no. i was in the market for a 6 digit sub and gmt when they were offered to me. the dealer knew i was after a daytona from the start when we met.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
To summarize, your quest for a Daytona has resulted in two AD purchases of watches you were not after and you will still buy a Daytona... Anyone think the Rolex strategy isnt working now?

congrats on the watches.
Old 9 October 2018, 06:06 AM   #43
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDABBQ View Post
Why are you at your post?? TK421 do you copy?
ha. funny. thing is my BLNR's serial starts with "TK". i will never willingly depart with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1w90XSN3Tc
Old 13 December 2018, 11:08 PM   #44
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Hey folks,

Oct and Nov 2018 updates.

Still no Daytona. Wasn't expected it honestly. Maybe in 2019.

However, I did visit my AD multiple times these months to get watches serviced including a recently purchased Y-series 16710 GMT.

If I was in the market for a black 116610, one was available. I already own a 16610T and 116610LV so kindly passed. Also passed on a new non-JC DeepSea since I’m not really into thicker cases (as expected it sold quick).

I also sold a GMT 116710 LN to put more cash toward the Daytona if it ever arrives for my ownership :)
Old 13 December 2018, 11:19 PM   #45
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

I believe I got my ceramic Daytona by being charming...
I sent flowers and chocolate a fair few times

I wrote numerous poems, to the shop floor staff, that made them laugh and understand me...

One day, I was told how much it meant to them, and that I'd gone up several echelons in the list. Shortly after, a few more poems... I got the call...

Watch out tho

Buying the ones you've been offered does tend to suggest that things are going well on both sides ... But it can all blow up in your face - as I found out....

To be expanded on...
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:20 PM   #46
lenfried29
Banned

Watch: tick-tock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Hey folks,

Oct and Nov 2018 updates.

Still no Daytona. Wasn't expected it honestly. Maybe in 2019.

However, I did visit my AD multiple times these months to get watches serviced including a recently purchased Y-series 16710 GMT.

If I was in the market for a black 116610, one was available. I already own a 16610T and 116610LV so kindly passed. Also passed on a new non-JC DeepSea since I’m not really into thicker cases (as expected it sold quick).

I also sold a GMT 116710 LN to put more cash toward the Daytona if it ever arrives for my ownership :)
Less than 6 month and I got my DaytonaC two days ago with no prior history with now my AD. At the end of this June I walked in this AD and purchased my first Rolex(DSSD). Month later my second Rolex BLNR. And now I have DaytonaC from the same AD. Good luck on your Daytona hunting
lenfried29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 11:59 PM   #47
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

What I don't understand is buying watches you don't really like to be in the good graces of the AD. With the monies you paid for the 2 watches which you really don't like you could have had a SS Daytona from a gray dealer at a premium, been wearing it now for 6 months, with a big smile on your face.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2018, 02:43 PM   #48
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
What I don't understand is buying watches you don't really like to be in the good graces of the AD. With the monies you paid for the 2 watches which you really don't like you could have had a SS Daytona from a gray dealer at a premium, been wearing it now for 6 months, with a big smile on your face.
Never said I dislike (or not really like) the BLNR and Sub LVC. I said I disliked the Sub's green bezel but the rest of the watch is great.

Regarding paying the obsurd gray market price for a Daytona, that wouldn’t put a smile on my face. It would be more like throwing $8k away. That $8k saved pretty much paid for the Green Sub.

My objective from the get go was to get a Daytona for MSRP.
Old 7 February 2019, 04:06 AM   #49
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Here's just a quick update for Dec post.

I saw my AD 2-3 times since then. Dropped off my recently purchased 16710 for a much needed servicing (don't think it was ever serviced). The service went great and is back on my wrist.

No big 116500 Daytona updates other than answering if I would be interested in a black dial if one become available. I said "yes but do prefer a white dial as pretty much every watch in my collection is a black dial model".
Old 7 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #50
bmclaurin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
I believe I got my ceramic Daytona by being charming...
I sent flowers and chocolate a fair few times

I wrote numerous poems, to the shop floor staff, that made them laugh and understand me...
This makes chuckle. How did the poems go? I’m not much of a poet, but would something like this work?

Roses are red,
BLNR’s are blue.
I want a Daytona,
This much is true.

Rolex: SD 116600 | Submariner 114060 | GMT 126710BLNR | GMT 116710LN | Explorer II 216570 | Explorer 214270

Other: Vacheron Constantin | Panerai | Omega | Grand Seiko | Breitling
bmclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2019, 09:27 AM   #51
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

I love it! Awesome. I just go it’s put a green sub verse in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaurin View Post
This makes chuckle. How did the poems go? I’m not much of a poet, but would something like this work?

Roses are red,

BLNR’s are blue.

I want a Daytona,

This much is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 May 2019, 07:01 AM   #52
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Feb, March and April 2019 updates :

No news from my AD. No dice yet. I still check in every month or two.

In early Feb, I sold my 116710Ln to my ad. Broke Even. Ugh. Kinda sick about it's current far higher value but I did use the cash for another 16710 so its not too bad.
Old 8 May 2019, 08:18 AM   #53
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Great journey so far and good luck.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 04:57 PM   #54
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Perseverance pays off ... proof right here in OP. Keep going, you'll have a 500c and BLRO before you know it.
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 08:11 PM   #55
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer42 View Post
I can’t smile wide enough.

If only you guys knew the meaning of the word irony.
The AD I went into the other day (gave me the expected 2+ years others waiting longer than me chat....)

Said I could get a No Date Sub sooner - said I was OK and had that already covered - showed him my 5513 with a flick of the wrist - I could tell he thought I was wearing a Timex or something equally exciting...
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 10:07 PM   #56
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
Great read! Good luck with your quest!
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 11:27 PM   #57
whuang29
"TRF" Member

Great read.
whuang29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2019, 11:31 PM   #58
JayHantz
"TRF" Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Continuing to hope the best for you! Maybe June is your month!?

In all honesty, you have great patience and this is a great read for anyone trying to acquire a hot model from their AD.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2019, 03:28 AM   #59
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

This thread is a great idea, makes me think I should start one about waiting on the Pepsi.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 02:34 AM   #60
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
I think this will be more of a yearly entry type of diary!
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
116500 , daytona , jaisonline , rolex