The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 October 2019, 05:19 AM   #31
LigerBelair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 50th A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
Sure, the forum can help you. Strangers know exactly what you are thinking. Best of luck
OP asked for people's advice. Seems like a reasonable thing to do imo on an on line forum about watches.

Some people gave him their thoughts but a number of people refused to give him a genuine response instead claiming some version of "only you know what will make you happy" (if life were only so easy!) or lamented the monetization of the hobby. None of those responses were what the OP was looking for and in a face to face context those responses would be considered quite rude.

For some reason you doubled down on the rudeness trend by insulting me when I told the OP what I would do and then sarcastically wished me the "best of luck".
LigerBelair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 05:41 AM   #32
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigerBelair View Post
OP asked for people's advice. Seems like a reasonable thing to do imo on an on line forum about watches.

Some people gave him their thoughts but a number of people refused to give him a genuine response instead claiming some version of "only you know what will make you happy" (if life were only so easy!) or lamented the monetization of the hobby. None of those responses were what the OP was looking for and in a face to face context those responses would be considered quite rude.

For some reason you doubled down on the rudeness trend by insulting me when I told the OP what I would do and then sarcastically wished me the "best of luck".
OP should buy the watch if he wants it and pass if he doesn't want it. I read the OP as "I don't know if I really want this watch, but maybe I should buy it anyway just because it might be hard to get".

And to answer OP's question, I doubt you'll make any money flipping it, if that's what you're looking to do.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:55 AM   #33
Rawb15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
I should clear up the fact that I planned to add the Sky Dweller as my next watch, 1st preference is blue face but #2 is black. I'm happy to wear the black dial now and maybe trade for a blue if one becomes available in future. They are both beautiful pieces imo. I was only trying to get a sense from other members if they thought these are somewhat "rare" or difficult to get because that is what I have been hearing about SS Sky Dwellers.
Rawb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:31 AM   #34
Little machines
"TRF" Member

The Skydweller is unique and is the most complicated movement Rolex has made . I’ve purchased one and enjoy it . You’re not going wrong with that watch . Good luck!!
Little machines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 09:04 AM   #35
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawb15 View Post
I should clear up the fact that I planned to add the Sky Dweller as my next watch, 1st preference is blue face but #2 is black. I'm happy to wear the black dial now and maybe trade for a blue if one becomes available in future. They are both beautiful pieces imo. I was only trying to get a sense from other members if they thought these are somewhat "rare" or difficult to get because that is what I have been hearing about SS Sky Dwellers.
They aren't easy to get, but not as hard as blue dial or Daytona, BLRO. If you want the blue and buying the black won't delay your chances of getting the blue, go for it I guess.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 09:39 AM   #36
Rawb15
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your reply, I was only asking for an opinion from people and felt this was the place to do it... I'm not buying only because rare or to sell etc... in a way I am settling on black face because I do not want to wait for a blue face.. when a blue comes along and hoping it does, I will sell the black face... it seems like these are not to hard to sell historically speaking
Old 31 October 2019, 09:41 AM   #37
Rawb15
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 31 October 2019, 05:25 PM   #38
Goonthree
"TRF" Member

Blue sky dweller is the hardest of the 4 ss watches to get for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191031_57526.jpg (116.4 KB, 395 views)
Goonthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 05:28 PM   #39
Bigsoftee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite DD40
Amazing movement
Bigsoftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 06:29 PM   #40
akilis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116695SATS
Quote:
Hello all, I have an opportunity to purchase a SS Sky Dweller from my North American AD (black face) and wanted to get some feedback from my Rolex Forum friends as to how rare these pieces are? Is this an opportunity that should not be passed up?
I think white dial should be easy to find or put you on the list
akilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:12 PM   #41
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivicorsi View Post
Over priced?...not so sure, compared to other year calendars ,it is good value, and very innovative. I would say it is by far the best value for money in the Rolex price range.
And the blue is rare by Rolex standards. Rarer than a daytona.
Totally agree. The best value Rolex - certainly not overpriced.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:15 PM   #42
lutzwinky
Banned

Watch: 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrole View Post
It saddens me to see questions like this. It's the problem with Rolex as a brand, people buying them because of hype and potential financial gain and not because of heart.
I totally agree with you on this.
lutzwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 07:36 PM   #43
JasonBetts
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm with you.

OP: before pulling the trigger, make sure you try it on in person and see if you're comfortable with how it sits on your wrist and if you like the black dial.

I had a chance to get a skyD myself but after trying it on, I passed. Here's to put the size on perspective. I have a 7.5inch wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JasonBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 08:08 PM   #44
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
I'm with you.

OP: before pulling the trigger, make sure you try it on in person and see if you're comfortable with how it sits on your wrist and if you like the black dial.

I had a chance to get a skyD myself but after trying it on, I passed. Here's to put the size on perspective. I have a 7.5inch wrist

That's excellent advice. In that photo the SkyD looks ridiculous. Whilst the Daytona is much better balanced.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 10:31 AM   #45
Rawb15
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 59 View Post
That's excellent advice. In that photo the SkyD looks ridiculous. Whilst the Daytona is much better balanced.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice and I did try this on before buying to make sure it didn't look out of proportion. It looked fine but it's certainly larger than my Sub.
Old 1 November 2019, 11:17 AM   #46
JeromeAD
"TRF" Member

I see more Ceramic Daytonas than Oyster Steel SkyDwellers. It is the rarest of them all. I’ve never had an Oyster Steel version for more than an hour.
JeromeAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 12:16 PM   #47
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

I don't think if it's the end of the world to have the opportunity to try out a watch when there is limited to zero monetary downside. That's what draws a lot of people to Rolex in the first place. Flipping is more common than not and nearly every watch person on the planet advises buying "smart" by getting used, at a discount etc. before prices blew up.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 01:43 PM   #48
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
Get it. Nothing else
To say
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2019, 10:30 PM   #49
scubadds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonBetts View Post
I'm with you.

Wow! I didn't envision such a difference when compared to a Daytona; The SD was on my list as the next one...gotta think on it now
scubadds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 09:46 PM   #50
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadds View Post
Wow! I didn't envision such a difference when compared to a Daytona; The SD was on my list as the next one...gotta think on it now
How can you make purchasing decisions like this anyway without even going to try watches on? :)
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 10:04 PM   #51
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Giving the benefit of the doubt that asking about 'rare' is more about wanting to not run into too many other people wearing the same time piece, I'd say fairly rare, especially when I'm in settings with high density of Rolex wearers. I've seen more white or black Daytona's than I've seen all colors and PM combinations of Skydweller combined.

The one SkyD Blue I've seen in person was worn by someone that wanted it, but didn't really understand how rare it was (just thought it was a cool looking watch) and it was a business gift from someone else.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 10:36 PM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I passed on one last year. Great looking watch, but the moment I put it on, I knew it wasn’t for me.

In the watch game I try never submit to the FOMO.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2019, 10:52 PM   #53
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Sorry for the late response.....I did not mean to be rude to you by wishing you good luck. If you can help him, that is great. I cannot help the OP because I do not know many things about him that I would consider in a purchase of a watch. Perhaps he has a few black dial watches already? So a white dial might be a good idea to be different. I still stand by my initial comment that it is hard for a lot of strangers to help someone with this question. You also seem to be upset that some people did not give him an answer to pick a specific watch, perhaps they cannot also help the OP. As I said earlier, if you have the ability to do so, that is great.
BillA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 02:19 AM   #54
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
Pass on it. If you liked it you wouldn’t be asking lol. Let someone who truly wants this combo have it. I think the opportunity to buy any Sky-D at MSRP is fortunate enough as it is.

Sky-D is classified as a Classic model FYI, but very difficult to obtain like some professional models.
+1
I love the SkyD but only in blue so I would pass also. I have too many black face watches anyway.
Tavli3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2019, 04:21 AM   #55
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was in a similar situation as yourself. I decided to get the SS black SkyD instead of waiting for a blue. The reason is simple. Given the current SS drought, a blue SkyD is about as hard to get as a white DaytonaC and I won’t pay above list.

As for rarity, no modern Rolex watch is technically “rare”. The better term would be “hard to get”. These are watches that Rolex currently produces with no current intention of stopping. However, the SS SkyD was only released in 2017 and given the complex nature of the movement, the absolute number of units are smaller than other rolexes.

I have really enjoyed this watch. I love the annual calendar and the bonus GMT feature (I was looking for an annual calendar). It wears well. However, it is easily scratched (PCL) when compared to my SubC. It’s unique enough where I have never seen another person with a SkyD.

So get it if you have a chance. I don’t think you will regret it.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2019, 06:36 PM   #56
xrole
"TRF" Member

This watch needs a future model of 40mm/12mm, then it will truly be the best overall watch in the Rolex collection.

Unfortunately at the moment it is too big and thick to comfortably wear as a business watch under shirt cuffs and that will always be a strike against it.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2019, 06:46 PM   #57
daOnlyBG
"TRF" Member

Watch: yes, it's hipster
Black dial is rare, but not as rare as the blue. The white's a little easier to get than both.

If you're asking us whether you should get the watch, I take it that you don't have the desire one would normally have for spending $13K or so on a watch- but rather you're asking us if you should buy it for monetary gain.

Well, you'll definitely make money by buying it and flipping it. But I highly recommend you let someone who enjoys the hobby buy it.
Old 3 December 2019, 07:39 PM   #58
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
Buy with your heart not with your head. Personally, I'd get it. Black is a beautiful dial and the SkyD is an exceptional watch. Only you can decide if it's for you.
Mr. Superlative is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 03:11 AM   #59
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbalster View Post
i am failing to see the "opportunity" here. Msrp $14.4k new and go in grey for what, $16-17k? Out the door in my state that's $15,660 after sales tax. Correct me if i am wrong but a grey will offer you less than that for a watch they sell for $16-17k.
+1
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2019, 04:07 AM   #60
zian
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM 116622
SS sky dweller is an amazing value watch, you get the most complicated rolex out there for amazing price, my problem with it is that the dial is so busy, so for me it's a no unless I consider to flip it
zian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , sky dweller