The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2019, 03:07 AM   #1
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Moving to London

Hey all,

I am moving to London just after the new year. For all members living in London, is there any advice or recommendations for me as to which AD to go to or how to better my chance to get a SS sports model with no purchase history?

Thanks!
DJBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 03:22 AM   #2
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You are kidding
Old 25 December 2019, 03:33 AM   #3
watchmaker
TechXpert

Looking for a professional model in London is a fools errand.

London ADs undoubtedly receive a higher number of watches allocated to them compared to other UK cities, but the number of clients per AD (both existing clients and random walk ins) is exponentially higher than other UK cities; the net result being that it’s harder, not easier to find what you want in London.

My advice is keep in touch with your current local AD.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 04:04 AM   #4
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBAT View Post
Hey all,

I am moving to London just after the new year. For all members living in London, is there any advice or recommendations for me as to which AD to go to or how to better my chance to get a SS sports model with no purchase history?

Thanks!

Yeah - let me know too!

The increased spend requirements for living in London with 8m other people (some of whom are rich/have previous history) is too high for my tastes and as I don’t like jewellery the best thing to do is to go grey for your needs. Or wait a longggggggg time with no guarantees. I am on a list for a Daytona and expecting to get the 126500 in 2030! Personally I’d rather pay the mark up to get the watch when I want it. This only starts to be an issue if you are trying to build a collection (although I am making my peace with this too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 04:04 AM   #5
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Don't go to an AD in any big City, they are over-run with people looking for non existent SS Sports models. Find a small out of town AD and work with them, or as others have suggested, stick with those that you know.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 04:11 AM   #6
Razorbackrolex
"TRF" Member

Small town is where its at. Locally owned Mom and Pop store. I have seen (and passed) on hulk, black daytona, multiple subs, etc this year at my little local store. Also theres not multimillionaires in there everyday buying $100k worth of jewelry etc. Once they decide youre a nice guy and not a flipper youre in...
Razorbackrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 04:19 AM   #7
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Looking for a professional model in London is a fools errand.

London ADs undoubtedly receive a higher number of watches allocated to them compared to other UK cities, but the number of clients per AD (both existing clients and random walk ins) is exponentially higher than other UK cities; the net result being that it’s harder, not easier to find what you want in London.

My advice is keep in touch with your current local AD.
I am moving 6 time zones away haha so flying back to pick up a watch is not realistic.
Old 25 December 2019, 04:21 AM   #8
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Don't go to an AD in any big City, they are over-run with people looking for non existent SS Sports models. Find a small out of town AD and work with them, or as others have suggested, stick with those that you know.
I see your point. Do you think me being not local to any out of town AD would hinder my chances to establish a relationship?
Old 25 December 2019, 04:23 AM   #9
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Lol, London Rolex ADs don't sell Rolexes, they're just a bunch of 2nd rate sales people with Napoleon complexes. Buy in Germany or Spain if you want any chance of getting what you want.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 04:27 AM   #10
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
Lol, London Rolex ADs don't sell Rolexes, they're just a bunch of 2nd rate sales people with Napoleon complexes. Buy in Germany or Spain if you want any chance of getting what you want.

Old 25 December 2019, 04:47 AM   #11
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

I’m more optimistic than some others on here, due to my personal experience. Other people’s mileage obviously varies. I don’t believe you have to be a VIP, huge spender or bundle/buy jewellery to get in demand watches from a London AD, but you probably do have to do some legwork and get lucky.

What watches are you after?
Old 25 December 2019, 04:55 AM   #12
jamesthejeweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: PLATONA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I’m more optimistic than some others on here, due to my personal experience. Other people’s mileage obviously varies. I don’t believe you have to be a VIP, huge spender or bundle/buy jewellery to get in demand watches from a London AD, but you probably do have to do some legwork and get lucky.

My PE fund had majority interest in a fair few ADs, we moved out of this position as the grey market killed the Rolex AD business and turned the staff into nazis. I have distinct dislike for the UK Rolex market. I'll only buy in mainland EU or US now. I can share with you the mandate given to my local AD in Windsor Berks, and this is verbatim, was "... we only sell steel sports models to people to spent £150k a year with us..." totally gross ethics, but when the market corrects they may feel rather sheepish.

J-T-J
jamesthejeweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 05:06 AM   #13
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesthejeweller View Post
My PE fund had majority interest in a fair few ADs, we moved out of this position as the grey market killed the Rolex AD business and turned the staff into nazis. I have distinct dislike for the UK Rolex market. I'll only buy in mainland EU or US now. I can share with you the mandate given to my local AD in Windsor Berks, and this is verbatim, was "... we only sell steel sports models to people to spent £150k a year with us..." totally gross ethics, but when the market corrects they may feel rather sheepish.

Fair enough, it’s pretty obvious just from reading these boards that a lot of AD’s conduct their business in a way that excludes all but the super wealthy from acquiring certain models. It isn’t all AD’s though. That’s where the luck part comes into it.
Old 25 December 2019, 05:11 AM   #14
R G
Banned

Moving to London and wanting advice on AD’s?

There’s bigger problems in London town than wondering about AD strategy.

Good luck.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 05:15 AM   #15
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
A number of London based AD’s have SS professional models on their premises, or have access to them.

You’ve got to be a big spender to be told about it, that is all.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 05:21 AM   #16
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yeah I guess. From the other threads I have seen that some people do in fact get lucky however I noticed that most of them are in the US. It makes sense that a major city like London with a lot more people who can afford the watches would make it harder to "get lucky" and find a sports model.

I am looking to get a Hulk.
Old 25 December 2019, 05:31 AM   #17
Zakalwe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess. From the other threads I have seen that some people do in fact get lucky however I noticed that most of them are in the US. It makes sense that a major city like London with a lot more people who can afford the watches would make it harder to "get lucky" and find a sports model.

I am looking to get a Hulk.
It’s all speculation, so take my view with as many pinches of salt as you can stomach, but I’m not sure about that. AD sports model allocation is, I understand, proportional to sales volumes, so London AD’s may have a lot more potential customers but they also get more stock.

That being said and despite my previously professed optimism, getting that watch with no history and no intention to be a repeat customer will be tricky.

Personally I love going into watch shops when I’m out and about so I’d still try and just strike up a conversation with various AD’s -I’d probably avoid the central London stores - and see whether or not they laugh you out the door. You may judge that your time is worth too much to you to try that.
Old 25 December 2019, 05:40 AM   #18
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s all speculation, so take my view with as many pinches of salt as you can stomach, but I’m not sure about that. AD sports model allocation is, I understand, proportional to sales volumes, so London AD’s may have a lot more potential customers but they also get more stock.

That being said and despite my previously professed optimism, getting that watch with no history and no intention to be a repeat customer will be tricky.

Personally I love going into watch shops when I’m out and about so I’d still try and just strike up a conversation with various AD’s -I’d probably avoid the central London stores - and see whether or not they laugh you out the door. You may judge that your time is worth too much to you to try that.

I do have the intention to hopefully be a repeat customer but I mean it would be hard to convince the SA of that while asking for a Hulk as a first purchase.

I will definitely go into as many ADs as I can! Just from what I have read in this forum Central London ADs tend to not even want to put any walk in client on "the list".
Old 25 December 2019, 05:41 AM   #19
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I do have the intention to hopefully be a repeat customer but I mean it would be hard to convince the SA of that while asking for a Hulk as a first purchase.

I will definitely go into as many ADs as I can! Just from what I have read in this forum Central London ADs tend to not even want to put any walk in client on "the list".
Old 25 December 2019, 06:12 AM   #20
DJBAT
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Old 25 December 2019, 08:59 AM   #21
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
Work on building a purchase history.
It takes time but will reap rewards.

London has HUGE spenders and VIPs, so don’t expect it to be easy
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 10:18 AM   #22
Rol3xe
"TRF" Member

Pm me I have a wonderful london AD who has been incredible - would give me pleasure to introduce you.
Rol3xe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 11:18 AM   #23
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I think hulk as your first purchase will be a challenge anywhere in the world

If you have to ask and not ready to drop $100k to build some relationship then you’re probably not getting one at AD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 05:22 PM   #24
Soultime
"TRF" Member

Where is OP moving from, to go to London?
May help with more meaningful replies. Comparison with current location etc.
Soultime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 05:36 PM   #25
Panych
"TRF" Member

Try to go to AD located faraway from the city. In June when I was in London I saw some ss sports at the AD at Westfield.
Panych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 05:41 PM   #26
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultime View Post
Where is OP moving from, to go to London?
May help with more meaningful replies. Comparison with current location etc.
It says he’s moving from 6 time zones away.

It’s kind of irrelevant where he’s coming from. More relevant that he’s asking about buying “steel sports models” with no purchase history in London.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 07:21 PM   #27
massie8250
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, 124270
Not the most sought after model, but I recently collected an explorer from Bucherers Covent Garden having only been on the wait list for 3-4 weeks. If you’re trying to get any of the more sought after models I’m sure you’ll be waiting much longer / struggle to get on a list.

As others have suggested, I’ve resorted to contacting AD’s within the london commuter towns as opposed to central london. I’ve been “accepted” on a couple of lists for a sub however still anticipate this being difficult to obtain with limited purchase history, and considering the extensive wealth still within these areas! Strike up and good relationship by going in frequently and the process should be more efficient
massie8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 09:34 PM   #28
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Spend lots otherwise don't even bother.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 09:52 PM   #29
Ihatecheese
Banned

Not the place to be buying those type things. As others stated you're up against many people who circle these shops like buzzards, attempting to build relationships with shop assistants who have about as much inclination as the person selling TVs in bestbuy
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 10:52 PM   #30
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
I see your point. Do you think me being not local to any out of town AD would hinder my chances to establish a relationship?
‘Relationship with an AD’ is doublespeak for ‘spend money on things that aren’t high demand/flippable models’.

With that in mind, no it doesn’t matter if you are not local to the out of town AD.

Paying a visit to an out of town AD once per month to say hey, never buying anything and asking them to keep you in mind for a Daytona (or whatever) isn’t going to work.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
availability , london