The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 May 2020, 11:33 PM   #1
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swatch
Negotiate at Rolex boutique

Hello friends

Quick question, have a rolex explorer 214270 the first one (bought it in 2013 from a grey market dealer for less then retail). Always loved it, even when that new edition came out with lume in the numbers (3,6 & 9).

But now all of a sudden I fell in love with the newer one and want to switch up. Have a friend who wants to take my old one for a fair price, and I'd get the new one from a boutique. What I'm wondering though is this still a watch you could negotiate on or should I be happy paying retail? Before this corona lockdown happened I know for a fact that the boutique I popped in had it in stock?

If its possible to talk about the price, what should I expect? Retail is 6200 euro now, just bump it down to 6000 or what?

Or would it be smarter to pay full retail and build a connection with the store?

Thanks for your future input

:)

Stay safe
Old 2 May 2020, 11:36 PM   #2
N2theCAPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sky-Dweller
It doesn't hurt to try and get a discount, definitely try!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
N2theCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:38 PM   #3
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If you don't ask you don't get.

Ask an AD, Ask several. Then you'll know.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 May 2020, 11:53 PM   #4
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I doubt you’ll get a discount on a SS professional model at a boutique, but I suppose stranger things have happened.

Ask away
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:10 AM   #5
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Shoot me for saying it, but I think in some cases, asking for a discount can almost sour a relationship (when SS Sports from an AD).

You can judge yourself whether you wish to ask, but I am certain the answer will be no anyway.

Good Luck :)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:21 AM   #6
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Give it a go they can only tell you to fudge off
Old 3 May 2020, 12:24 AM   #7
Angi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116506
From my experience they almost seem insulted when you ask for a discount now. Seems to be this way for a while too. The only way is if you have a personal relationship with someone in the store, and then at this point they would be risking there job. I barely even seeing it happening on known undesirable models. Your best best is to ask for a free Jacket or cool gift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Angi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:26 AM   #8
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!

i think you would get a small discount off an Explorer....they all seem to have them in stock these days!i was offered one a couple of weeks back but said no as not really a fan,
anyway...wheres the harm in trying
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 12:35 AM   #9
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I guess it depends on the AD and your relationship with them. I have been able to get a discount on every single watch I've purchased except my DaytonaC all purchased from AD. Keep in mind though my last watch purchase was Dec 2017 (DaytonaC at MSRP) so slightly different times and right at the front end of the perceived "SS shortage" so my data point is slightly skewed.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:19 AM   #10
Citystar31
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Shoot me for saying it, but I think in some cases, asking for a discount can almost sour a relationship (when SS Sports from an AD).

You can judge yourself whether you wish to ask, but I am certain the answer will be no anyway.

Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn’t sell it to you alone on principal.. I honestly find it comical when people ask this question! If you need $200 off then I’m sorry but you can’t afford the watch....
Citystar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:53 AM   #11
joshua.pearl3
"TRF" Member

Luxury item in times of devastation.
Less popular than other pieces.
I'd ask for a min 10% off. No point asking for 200, they'd know you don't really care about one.
If the boutique refuses, just go somewhere else. We are heading for a huge recession and you're gonna pay list???
joshua.pearl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:54 AM   #12
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.pearl3 View Post
luxury item in times of devastation.
Less popular than other pieces.
I'd ask for a min 10% off. No point asking for 200, they'd know you don't really care about one.
If the boutique refuses, just go somewhere else. We are heading for a huge recession and you're gonna pay list???
+1
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:55 AM   #13
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Always negotiate.

We are talking about mass produced luxury items here that no one needs.
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 01:56 AM   #14
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
In general, this is transparent bunk. They may, probably will, say "no", but they'll still try to profit from you. And from their inventory. Emotions aren't a big part of the AD's side of the coin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
Exactly my thoughts! I wouldn’t sell it to you alone on principal.. I honestly find it comical when people ask this question! If you need $200 off then I’m sorry but you can’t afford the watch....
Wow. Citystar, you've had a Rolex for roughly three months, right? Seriously, if you have to actually work retail and sell watches, you can't afford to be snobby. You may choose to hold back a unit for a full-price package-deal, but that's not principal other than "maximize profit."
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:00 AM   #15
wilbur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos+Friends
Go for a discount my friend got his for 5200 euro in october last year. About 800 off at the time. He had no purchase history and was his first ever swiss watch. No harm in trying.
wilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:11 AM   #16
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Oh I can afford the watch thats not the issue at all...

The question kind of comes down too do if I want to risk ruining a potential relationship with an AD, (because this would be an AD that I'd potentially buy more from in the future) or just shut up and pay a little more.
Old 3 May 2020, 02:15 AM   #17
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Yes, that would be the only downside that comes up in my mind, "ruining" a potential relationship with an AD for a couple hundred bucks (potentially) :)
Old 3 May 2020, 02:31 AM   #18
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterling View Post
Oh I can afford the watch thats not the issue at all...

The question kind of comes down too do if I want to risk ruining a potential relationship with an AD, (because this would be an AD that I'd potentially buy more from in the future) or just shut up and pay a little more.

I think you can do both at the same time: ask for a discount and still build a potential relationship. It’s just a matter of showing respect and the right attitude. As always in life, not just on buying Rolex.

BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 02:42 AM   #19
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterling View Post
Hello friends

Quick question, have a rolex explorer 214270 the first one (bought it in 2013 from a grey market dealer for less then retail). Always loved it, even when that new edition came out with lume in the numbers (3,6 & 9).

But now all of a sudden I fell in love with the newer one and want to switch up. Have a friend who wants to take my old one for a fair price, and I'd get the new one from a boutique. What I'm wondering though is this still a watch you could negotiate on or should I be happy paying retail? Before this corona lockdown happened I know for a fact that the boutique I popped in had it in stock?

If its possible to talk about the price, what should I expect? Retail is 6200 euro now, just bump it down to 6000 or what?

Or would it be smarter to pay full retail and build a connection with the store?

Thanks for your future input

:)

Stay safe
Just don’t ask over the phone, they’ll always say no.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 04:46 AM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

If someone cannot negotiate without pissing the other party off, then they don't know how to negotiate. Best to just stump up and let them take the maximum margin.

Who pays the asking price for that fully loaded S Class? Not rich people. They know how to keep as much of their money as possible and still buy expensive things. It's a knack.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:26 AM   #21
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

Nothing wrong with respectfully asking as a serious/interested buyer... Worst they can do is say no.

Offering a discount is also a gesture of Goodwill from a seller and a good way to earn repeat business

It's a two way street imo...
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:31 AM   #22
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry but that’s a ridiculous statement. In your world nobody negotiates on any purchase.

Is it any different bidding under the asking price on a house?

Go for the discount OP. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 05:39 AM   #23
qikbert
"TRF" Member

I feel the best SA's know that sales benefit them, period. The best SAs will work with you to consummate a deal, whether that involves a discount based on market rate, or no discount based on market rate. If you walk away, he/she doesn't make a sale. It's only business, and I wouldn't worry about souring them on you.
qikbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 06:19 AM   #24
upsidedownbelt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116618LB
Quote:

What a ridiculous thing to say. Just asking for a modest discount means you can’t afford it? Seriously?
upsidedownbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2020, 11:29 PM   #25
Chesterling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogdanS View Post
I think you can do both at the same time: ask for a discount and still build a potential relationship. It’s just a matter of showing respect and the right attitude. As always in life, not just on buying Rolex.

Wise words, thank you
Old 4 May 2020, 12:28 AM   #26
RyanO
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: LVc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angi View Post
From my experience they almost seem insulted when you ask for a discount now. Seems to be this way for a while too. The only way is if you have a personal relationship with someone in the store, and then at this point they would be risking there job. I barely even seeing it happening on known undesirable models. Your best best is to ask for a free Jacket or cool gift

Have to second this. Boutiques don't discount...You're better off getting some cool swag and building your purchase history.
RyanO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:28 AM   #27
TeddyBallGame
2024 Pledge Member

Like a lot of folks have said, there’s nothing wrong with negotiating when done right. One way that might help with a discount is if you can pay with cash. Typically retailers pay 2-3% of the sales price to credit card companies as a service fee. If you can offer to pay cash, that saves them those fees and hopefully they’ll pass some of that savings to you. Might not be the whole 2-3%, but it might help get you a small discount. It’s worked for me.
TeddyBallGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:33 AM   #28
Podmornica
Banned

As I understand you can get the 2% OFF any watch if paying in cash instead of CC since they do not have a cost of processing the card payment .. Am I right regarding this one?
Podmornica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 12:44 AM   #29
captJON
Banned

it doesn't hurt to ask
you might never know
captJON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2020, 01:09 AM   #30
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Go for it, who knows for sure how they will react. Friendly conversation with a few facts thrown in should not get anyone upset. I mean, it’s not a blue dial Sky D, right!?

Tags
214270 , europe , explorer , rolex