The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 26 May 2020, 10:00 AM   #1
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Safe recommendation?

Only own a handful of watches...seems like a heavy safe is better than a bolted safe... so heavy safe is large safe... which means... who is actually bringing the multiple hundred pound safe into your house? Any specific brands? Digital or all mechanical? TIA!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
If you’re willing to get a heavy safe, a friend bought a Fort Knox and it was a beast. I think they are primarily sold a gun safes, but bel;i eve they have options to make it into whatever you want.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:26 AM   #3
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
A bolted safe is a heavy safe.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:31 AM   #4
Citystar31
Banned

Regardless of the type or size of safe it should always be bolted to the ground!
Citystar31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:33 AM   #5
burneyr
"TRF" Member

Diebold TL-30 mechanical lock - size is to your needs.
burneyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:34 AM   #6
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Any TL 30 safe will do. Best to bolt it down against a corner. No need to go overboard. Any safe can be compromised given enough time.
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:47 AM   #7
Aquaholic_user
"TRF" Member

Any safe will do, but definitely consider fire and water rating. A couple hundred pounds safe with a hand truck and 2 guys can be moved alot easier than you think. Up and down the stairs. Best is to position in a space that makes it difficult to pry and move, like a closet. Secure with some bolts. Many say to put safe in basement, it will end there in a fire, but I'd rather be close to my sidearms.
Aquaholic_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 10:47 AM   #8
AvGeek
2024 Pledge Member

You will want a real safe, B-rate at the minimum, C-rate and above if your floors can take it. B-rate is minimum 1/4" solid steel, not composite, on the sides and 1/2" on the door. Keep an eye out on the fire protection, most use drywall/fiberboard - some use concrete - you want the latter.

Take a look at AMSEC, Graffunder, or Brown, don't even bother with the rest.

I have a Graffunder myself, they really are something else.
AvGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:02 AM   #9
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Thanks Gents, I knew this forum would be well researched and knowledgeable in this subject! I will look into your suggestions!

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:10 AM   #10
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citystar31 View Post
Regardless of the type or size of safe it should always be bolted to the ground!
Or wall studs.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:31 AM   #11
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

Definitely bolt it to the structure of your house. I think that is more important than the rating. Its very unlikely that someone is going to burglarize your house with power tools like you see in the movies.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:36 AM   #12
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay-dweller View Post
Definitely bolt it to the structure of your house. I think that is more important than the rating. Its very unlikely that someone is going to burglarize your house with power tools like you see in the movies.
This.
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:43 AM   #13
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Costco.com has a lot of good ones. Don't forget how much shipping will be, and Costco usually includes it in the price. Also, when in doubt, go bigger than you think. You'll use it for more than you think.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:51 AM   #14
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaholic_user View Post
Any safe will do, but definitely consider fire and water rating. A couple hundred pounds safe with a hand truck and 2 guys can be moved alot easier than you think. Up and down the stairs. Best is to position in a space that makes it difficult to pry and move, like a closet. Secure with some bolts. Many say to put safe in basement, it will end there in a fire, but I'd rather be close to my sidearms.
Yes, I have a 220 pound safe, when I bought it into the house I placed it onto a rug, and pulled it around no problem at all. Once I had it where I wanted it, I bolted it into the floor. It stands to reason that a criminal could do the same in reverse, add a trolley jack and I'd say you could get a 200 pound safe out of a house and onto a ute within five minutes. Then they have all the time in the world to crack it.

You basically want enough things to go in your favor that it's too difficult to rob your house, and if they do break in you want to make sure they don't have enough time to compromise your safe.
  • Good external lighting
  • Deadbolts on doors
  • Window locks
  • House alarm
  • CCTV
  • Remote monitoring of CCTV / Alarm
  • A good safe - bolted to the floor and in a non obvious place

As bad as it sounds, just want to make your neighbors house to look like the easier target.

Investing in a good safe is a great idea, not just for the watches, but think about your passports, official documents, important items etc.
interestedwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 11:55 AM   #15
Ensign
"TRF" Member

You don’t need to go overboard with a safe.

I don’t think there is a consumer grade safe out there which can’t be defeated with a battery powered grinder.

The best you can hope for is one to stop most burglars. That means a door that can’t be jimmied opened with a crow bar and is too big to be carried off without a hand truck. A built-in, hidden safe is a good option, too. This might work of just some watches.

Home alarms aren’t too expensive these days, either.
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 12:23 PM   #16
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Costco.com has a lot of good ones. Don't forget how much shipping will be, and Costco usually includes it in the price. Also, when in doubt, go bigger than you think. You'll use it for more than you think.
Yes. If only I had known.
Old 26 May 2020, 12:40 PM   #17
AvGeek
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign View Post
You don’t need to go overboard with a safe.

I don’t think there is a consumer grade safe out there which can’t be defeated with a battery powered grinder.

The best you can hope for is one to stop most burglars. That means a door that can’t be jimmied opened with a crow bar and is too big to be carried off without a hand truck. A built-in, hidden safe is a good option, too. This might work of just some watches.

Home alarms aren’t too expensive these days, either.
The point is to either completely deter a burglar or at least slow them down enough for police to respond. True, a grinder will be able to get through just about any safe, but the difference between a common safe like Liberty, Champion or god forbid a Stack-on and an actual safe like an AMSEC or Graffunder are huge. That difference could be the precious seconds between a burglar getting away with all your valuables, and them leaving empty handed because they couldn't break in fast enough before the alarm/police.

Not the mention the fire protection on most common safes are next to useless, even if the fire doesn't penetrate the drywall insulation, your watches and everything else inside will be cooked.

I'm sure most folks on this forum have 2-3+ high end watches, add in jewelry, gold, heirlooms, important documents, etc. and $50k+ isn't unreasonable. I would not skimp on the safe, it's just extra insurance.
AvGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 01:41 PM   #18
billfredericks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Milgauss
Quote:
Originally Posted by interestedwatcher View Post
Yes, I have a 220 pound safe, when I bought it into the house I placed it onto a rug, and pulled it around no problem at all. Once I had it where I wanted it, I bolted it into the floor. It stands to reason that a criminal could do the same in reverse, add a trolley jack and I'd say you could get a 200 pound safe out of a house and onto a ute within five minutes. Then they have all the time in the world to crack it.

You basically want enough things to go in your favor that it's too difficult to rob your house, and if they do break in you want to make sure they don't have enough time to compromise your safe.
  • Good external lighting
  • Deadbolts on doors
  • Window locks
  • House alarm
  • CCTV
  • Remote monitoring of CCTV / Alarm
  • A good safe - bolted to the floor and in a non obvious place

As bad as it sounds, just want to make your neighbors house to look like the easier target.

Investing in a good safe is a great idea, not just for the watches, but think about your passports, official documents, important items etc.
Yes—would like to echo the suggestions here.

Home alarm system with sensor for room/closet/area in which safe sits.
Window/door stickers noting alarm and/or yard signs (if applicable). Best to deter would-be robbers and thieves.
billfredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:14 PM   #19
P7M8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Like mentioned above layered security is very important. Buy the biggest size safe you have space for and don’t skimp on the price. You get what you pay for. Personally I love mechanical but there something to be said about the convenience of a digitial lock. You always end up finding other items to put in your safe as well so get bigger than you anticipate.
P7M8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2020, 03:49 PM   #20
newenglandpatriot
"TRF" Member

I have a liberty and has electronic monitoring that has temp, humidity, movement detection.
newenglandpatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:10 AM   #21
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
A bolted safe is a heavy safe.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:16 AM   #22
swils8610

I have some long items in I store in my safe. I have 2 Browning safes that I really like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 12:26 AM   #23
RichM

Watch: out now,take care!
I just bought a Liberty Colonial this year. Weights a little over 600lbs and has a 1 hour fire rating. Having dealt with a mechanical dial on my old safe, i went with electronic this time. So much quicker to open up. I also had the electric three socket outlet installed. I have a GoldenRod plugged in to help keep humidity down. It’s been raining here for the last three days and the RH inside the safe is 45%.

You do want to bold it down. It’s not so much that anyone will walk out with a 600 pound safe but what you are trying to do is prevent the safe from being tipped over. It’s easier for thieves to work on it when it’s on it side.

Also, as stated above, buy bigger than you think you need or want. You’ll be surprised how quick you’ll fill it up.

If you go with a Liberty safe that is not in stock at your dealer, it’s about a two month build/wait time. I ordered mine in late December and took delivery late February. That was before the virus. Good luck
TRF #139960
RichM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 04:00 AM   #24
cm10005

Watch: Rolex Hulk Sub
I second Fort Knox as mentioned above. Good fire rating and have a guarantee when it comes to flooding. Again, very heavy but should be bolted down. Took 4 men to get it inside in position. Fort Knox makes some that are very nice looking also so if it’s in a room where it’s visible it’s very nice looking.
cm10005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2020, 05:01 AM   #25
honkymf
"TRF" Member

I have an Orvis that doubles as a gun safe. I really like it. It's a great British racing green color. I picked it up at a safe outlet store for an awesome price. I'd definitely google that and see if you have some sort of outlet store around you.

Also, buy one that's twice as big as you think you'll need. I thought mine was huge when I first bought it. Now, it's busting at the seams.
honkymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 03:07 PM   #26
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
If your looking at any of your big box stores and this includes Costco your not looking at a safe. Manufactures of these so called safes are notorious for selling thick looking boxes that are extremely deceiving to those who have no clue. Just because Safe is printed on it doesn't mean it really is one. Bolting down something thin enough to be defeated by an axe still wont stop someone from getting into it with an axe.

If your considering anything large and it doesn't weigh more than 1600 pounds its not a safe. If it were why did they label it a residential security container. Thicker steel simply weighs more. Good security and a good safe will cost you a good chunk of change unless you find a used safe someone is trying to unload.

Do yourself a favor and do a bit of research and not just you tube. A safe alone isn't the answer but understanding what your really getting for your money is something I highly encourage. if you really want to get serious start with Amsec and Graffunder as they are good places to start. Commercial safes can sometimes be purchased used for a huge savings. Any good resource will not only cover the various ratings but often will recommend which rating for what dollar value you are looking to secure.

If your thinking a serious safe of any kind then start thinking $8000 and higher.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2020, 03:54 PM   #27
LordNewport
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdnb View Post
Only own a handful of watches...seems like a heavy safe is better than a bolted safe... so heavy safe is large safe... which means... who is actually bringing the multiple hundred pound safe into your house? Any specific brands? Digital or all mechanical? TIA!!

You are in so Calif.. take a look at Sun Welding ...Excellent quality safe made in America...No fake BS composite doors that look thicker than they really are...Just solid hardened steel plate body and doors.

Get one with 1/4 in steel plate body, 1/2 in steel plate door and a stainless steel liner to prevent torching into it with anything short of plasma torch.

https://www.sunweldingsafes.com/
LordNewport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2020, 04:56 AM   #28
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
I’ve missed these public discussions during down times with fraudsters lurking on the site.

Please, share more brand suggestions and location ideas.

(Don’t)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 03:02 AM   #29
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
being a competitive shotgun shooter I have 2 large safes (Canon), 700# each empty, with contents, well over 800# probably around 900#. Not too worried about them 'walking' away ..........
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2020, 03:06 AM   #30
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNewport View Post
You are in so Calif.. take a look at Sun Welding ...Excellent quality safe made in America...No fake BS composite doors that look thicker than they really are...Just solid hardened steel plate body and doors.

Get one with 1/4 in steel plate body, 1/2 in steel plate door and a stainless steel liner to prevent torching into it with anything short of plasma torch.

https://www.sunweldingsafes.com/
seems like a very nice product .....
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote