The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2019, 09:32 PM   #1
Tobias
"TRF" Member

Why I’m not waiting for Basel to buy the Submariner

I popped in to see my AD last week. I’m on the waiting list for the 114060. My contact told me he is expecting to have the watch for me in the next few weeks. Here’s why I won’t wait for Basel for any potential changes to the Submariner.

When the maxi-case was introduced in 2012, my initial reaction was that of dislike and feeling somewhat disheartened. Rolex had gone ahead and made some fairly significant changes to one of their most iconic watches and my favourite watch model, and I didn’t approve.

Fast forward to 2019, and I am a big fan of the maxi case. I feel the current 114060 is the better watch in both form and function compared to the five digit 14060. So what changed?

Sometimes change doesn’t at first sit well with us. Before I sold it, I had been wearing a five digit Submariner for 10 years, and its form factor had become very familiar over time. I think it took a while for me to process the changes in shape to the Submariner. As I learn more about the history of Rolex watches, I’m struck by how much the current 114060 reminds me of the 5513 (the latter’s case and bracelet design creates a square-like form much like the six digit model).

If Rolex decides to soften the shape of its cases this year, I am sure that the new Submariner models will look great still. At some point in time, I’d like to acquire the 116613LB, and I’d quite welcome owning two Submariners with different looks to them. However for the 114060, perhaps the ultimate tool watch, I want the maxi case of today.

Image taken from Pinterest
Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:40 PM   #2
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
That's a great duo! I'm a fan of the maxi case as well. No sense in waiting to see what comes next when you know you love the current version.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:42 PM   #3
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I also prefer the six digit cases and I think it comes down to personal preference. I could see an update on the movement but not so much on the cases but you never know.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:44 PM   #4
nigelUK
"TRF" Member

All things considered I think the 114060 is the best iteration of the maxi case. Had to sell mine to fund a vintage piece and it's one of the only watches I regret selling. To me, it works better than the Date, Hulk, GMTs etc ... I can't put my finger on why..it just does.

I would certainly not wait for Basel.
Old 19 February 2019, 09:45 PM   #5
blufinz52

Watch: 116400GV 124060
I agree Congrats.
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:52 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I vacillate between liking the Super Case and preferring the narrower legs of the 5 digit (and modern SD43).

Like you, I’ve learned to appreciate the 114060. I think if they do reshape the Submariner case in the coming years, it will be something along the lines of the new GMT case ... which is pretty indescribable to me

Perfect duo, congratulations in advance
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 09:53 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Carpe before the Whales awaken is a good motto to live by now, and Basel is their ultimate alarm clock.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:18 PM   #8
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Case size will remain the same this year most likely, but the movement may indeed change like it has on other models (70 hour reserve)
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:35 PM   #9
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I disagree. When it comes to watches, my initial gut reactions have always held. If you have to “grow” to like a watch, it’s not for you. Chances are at that point you are tricking your mind and being influenced by others.
I’m not saying tastes can’t change, because they do, but what you describe sounds to me like something else changed your mind
Old 19 February 2019, 10:38 PM   #10
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

who knows what Rolex will have in store for us at Basel. whatever happens, 114060 is a real beauty and will give you many years of pleasure. I picked mine up a few weeks ago and absolutely love this reference.
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:42 PM   #11
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I like the fat case. The thin lugs didn't look so good on me, although the bracelets were more flimsy back then, which added to the insubstantial feel. I've got my fat siblings now. So Rolex can introduce whatever they like.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:47 PM   #12
Shaney
"TRF" Member

Larger case looks better I think.
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 10:48 PM   #13
Michigan_State
"TRF" Member

It’ll be interesting to see how the six digits and the maxi cases will age, given that Rolex really trims the cases down. I’m thinking of those bulky and chunky Mercedes cars from the 90‘s. Pretty much bullet proof but not exactly slick. Let’s see, time will tell. That said, I had the 114060 for some time (passed it on and kept the 14060) and it was a solid piece. You’ll enjoy it.
Old 19 February 2019, 10:59 PM   #14
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
I agree.
The supercase gives a nice frame to the bezel, and is more like a modern version of the original.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:09 PM   #15
a.l.merc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 116710LN
I had the same thoughts. I got my 114060 a week and a half ago and I couldn't be happier with the decision
a.l.merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:16 PM   #16
mr_gray
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMURF
i totally agree re: maxi case and the strong lug integration. what struck me about the subC at some point in my ~ 7 years or so of ownership, was how low the subC sits on wrist and hence how thin it appears and how it is very genta-esque (dial excludes that perspective to some degree i think).

even though i love 5 digit subs when it comes to buying one it is always something that makes me take the 6 digit alternative. usually glidelock.

one of the thing with prices and scarcity etc. is that i think it is fair to say that the 114060, as a good example, is an extraordinary value proposition at retail (to say nothing of a watch with the heritage and functionality of the 126710).
mr_gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:59 PM   #17
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Though I would appreciate a slimmer case, I am likely not parting with a ceramic / 3135 combo. The new 3235 doesn’t excite me.

I say that now. Hopefully I won’t be eating my words in a few months.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:09 AM   #18
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I wouldn't wait either.

Well, that's not technically correct. I am waiting...but it's because I've already blown the watch budget for this year.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:09 AM   #19
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Why I’m not waiting for Basel to buy the Submariner

The traditional Submariner is a timeless classic in ANY and EVERY form and iteration.

Any potential ‘upgrades’ (and I use that term very loosely) do not (or would not) give me the desire to wait for one if I didn’t have (or was about to get the current reference).

The new power reserve is definitely nice - but when you rotate watches during the week - it hardly makes a difference...and I really like opening my watch box and interacting with my watches (setting, and so forth).

You make the right choice in my book.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:55 AM   #20
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
The traditional Submariner is a timeless classic in ANY and EVERY form and iteration.
Plus 1,000

I love every single black dial Sub (the "traditional Submariner").

I can find flaws in every single Sub. I can say I wish X reference had Y feature. Wish this one had more text, this one less. Wish this one had a red line of text. This one ceramic. That one crown guards. Wish they all had Glidelock.

But in the end, I love them all and if I was a billionaire, would buy and wear every single black dial Sub I could get my hands on. And the Smurf, too, just for a pop of color.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 02:55 AM   #21
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
My first Rolex was the 14060 and when I saw the modern version in person I knew immediately that it was a way better watch. Sold my 14060 and am very pleased with the modern Rolex that are in my collection.
The bracelet and feel on the wrist and the quality of construction is far superior to older models. No question about it.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 03:26 AM   #22
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Very interesting to read your post, as that is exactly the reason that I ordered my 114060 a few weeks ago. Apparently it should be along fairly soon. For some reason, I have put off getting a Rolex Sub for so long, I finally decided that the time has arrived. Initially, I had ordered the SD43, but after thinking long and hard, my heart was with the 114060 which, after it had come out in 2012, my appreciation for the model grew over the years.

I compared side-by-side photos of both the SD43 and 114060, and also decided on the 114060, even with the super case which does not look as proportional with the ss bracelet. So there definitely is love there! And we won't really know what Rolex is going to do for another month. I don't want to be left wishing I had gone for the 114060. If they do modify the case and for some reason I do like it better, then I will just have to change it. The fact that it will likely get the updated movement is of no consequence to me.

I hope that our watches show up soon!

Cheers,
Carl
Old 20 February 2019, 03:34 AM   #23
AckAck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5204P
Great picture. Can really see how much larger the lugs and case is on the new version. Much chunkier and thicker. Interesting that they are both 40mm. The new version looks substantially larger.
AckAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 04:49 AM   #24
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Congrats!! That's a great watch as is and a very robust, reliable, proven movement.

I'd be shocked to see a new Submariner this year. Maybe a Platinum introduction, but not SS. Why would Rolex update a Submariner prior to the Explorer 2, Milgauss, YM 1. Just doesn't make any senses and i think people are getting overly excited about a low probability update.

Enjoy your awesome Sub!
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:16 AM   #25
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Sorry, in my opinion 10460 is way better looking than the 110460. But if you're happy with your choice that's all that matters.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:23 AM   #26
Indy11
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
As I learn more about the history of Rolex watches, I’m struck by how much the current 114060 reminds me of the 5513 (the latter’s case and bracelet design creates a square-like form much like the six digit model).

Image taken from Pinterest
Congratulations and agree very much with your comments. I think a lot of critics of this case shape miss what Rolex was intending to bring forward with this design. Hope you enjoy as much as I’ve enjoyed mine over the last couple years!
Indy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:44 AM   #27
jed11
"TRF" Member

Could not agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jed11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 05:47 AM   #28
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
I disagree. When it comes to watches, my initial gut reactions have always held. If you have to “grow” to like a watch, it’s not for you. Chances are at that point you are tricking your mind and being influenced by others.
I’m not saying tastes can’t change, because they do, but what you describe sounds to me like something else changed your mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
Sorry, in my opinion 10460 is way better looking than the 110460. But if you're happy with your choice that's all that matters.
Bingo! BTW nice pic OP!
Old 20 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #29
Tobias
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
The mind works in mysterious ways. As a younger man I would never have considered two-tone and solid gold watches, but today I consider many of these as stunning, and aspire to own one in the future.

In regard to the Submariner 114060, I believe what changed things for me was seeing and handling one in person. The 904L steel, the updated bracelet and glidelock, the gloss of the ceramic bezel, the more proportionate (IMO) dial as result of the larger markers - seeing these up close changed something for me.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 20 February 2019, 06:48 AM   #30
Tobias
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle3130 View Post
Bingo! BTW nice pic OP!
Thank you, but just pointing out that the image is not taken by me and do not own any Submariner models as of yet

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk