The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 13 May 2006, 12:27 AM   #1
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Natures Bonsai Marvels.

Just a little hobby of mine I inherited most of my Bonsai trees from my Grandfather about forty odd years ago.They take up little space and the minimum amount of time.Just trim the roots about every four years and a gentle feeding,and a trim thats about it.Some people think that they are special dwarf trees.This is not the case,and if trees were planted back into open soil they would over the decades revert back to there normal size.Dont forget the oldest living thing now on this planet,(next to JJ.)is a tree approx 4000 years old.Have now 20 trees one old timer is over 170 years old.I have put it back into open soil for a few years to recover from a very hard root prune.All trees are approx 12inches - 16inches high.And when I go upstairs most probably down,my Sons will have them to pass down to there children.

Japanese Maple.about July leaves will be bright red 80 years old now approx.

Chinese White Pine approx 130 years old now.

Japanese Larch now approx 60 years old.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 12:32 AM   #2
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: the sunrise...
Just beautiful Peter How long do you keep 'em outdoors or are they always? I'm getting more and more amazed with this forum and its people

Last edited by Goodwatch; 13 May 2006 at 02:38 AM..
Goodwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 12:53 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

They are out side all the year Frans, but if very cold frost I just wrap the pots and cover the soil in bubble wrap.Just to stop the soil from freezing and expanding and cracking the pots.I have a few indoor one as well,but they go outside once the frost have gone.You can Bonsai most trees shrubs even take a seedling,from the wild at the right time of the year.You can go to your local garden centre pick up a small conifer,just trim the roots and put into a Bonsai pot. Then just trim,train, or wire lightly the branches to your desired shape.Or buy a young tree of around 8-10 years old,but old trees will cost hundreds sometimes thousands of pounds,for a very old Jap or Chinese tree.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 May 2006, 02:21 AM   #4
----

Great pics Peter.

I have bought one or two "ready made" Bonsai trees over the years, but they always end up dying......usually within a year or two of when I bought them.
Old 13 May 2006, 02:35 AM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Great pics Peter.

I have bought one or two "ready made" Bonsai trees over the years, but they always end up dying......usually within a year or two of when I bought them.
Thats a shame Al first were they outdoor or indoor trees.Most people tend to over-water if indoor trees.Your main problem would be winter,but as long as you protect pot and soil from freezing you should be fine.Now as temperature rises,Bonsai might want water 2-3 times a day very, little depth of soil to maintain the water,this is what kills most.A good all round tree is a Chinese Elm,quite hardy and a bit forgiving if un-watered.Will try and post a picture of one tomorrow still using 35mm film.All out-door trees can spend a little time indoors but no longer than 2 weeks,and acclimatised before placing back out doors

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 May 2006, 02:40 AM   #6
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56
still using 35mm film.
In darkest Wales still using steam camera Padi?
Old 13 May 2006, 02:48 AM   #7
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
In darkest Wales still using steam camera Padi?
Well in its day Frans The Cannon T90 was quite a camera, and still can give these digital upstarts a good talking to,and a good thrashing.Underwater used Nikon because they made a higher variety of true underwater lens.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 May 2006, 02:52 AM   #8
Atomic

Quote:
Thats a shame Al first were they outdoor or indoor trees.Most people tend to over-water if indoor trees.Your main problem would be winter,but as long as you protect pot and soil from freezing you should be fine.Now as temperature rises,Bonsai might want water 2-3 times a day very, little depth of soil to maintain the water,this is what kills most.A good all round tree is a Chinese Elm,quite hardy and a bit forgiving if un-watered.Will try and post a picture of one tomorrow still using 35mm film.All out-door trees can spend a little time indoors but no longer than 2 weeks,and acclimatised before placing back out doors
I've had the same luck as Al in this regard. Either over watered or underwatered. But I understand the Japanese Maple I planted in the back yard of my last house is flourishing.
Old 13 May 2006, 03:06 AM   #9
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well in its day Frans The Cannon T90 was quite a camera, and still can give these digital youngsters a good talking to,and a good thrashing.Underwater used Nikon because they made a higher variety of true underwater lens.
Stay nice this year, maybe under X-Mas tree:

Old 13 May 2006, 03:16 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwatch
Stay nice this year, maybe under X-Mas tree:

Cannon T90 first model was 1986 I think.

Not for me at the moment Frans do most of my developing myself have a very small darkroom under the stairs.I just scan the negative into computer and then resize print or save to disc.And its very handy to hide from Mrs Padi when she is on the war path,and to hide ones naughty things and single malts.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 May 2006, 03:36 AM   #11
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Thought I took four pictures this is a Chinese Elm not 100% sure of the
age of this one.But I have had it over 40 years,and my Mother told me when
she was a young girl.She could remember it at her Fathers house so lets
say over 100 years old,in the Moyogi style semi informal.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 13 May 2006, 03:51 AM   #12
Goodwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not for me at the moment Frans do most of my developing myself have a very small darkroom under the stairs.I just scan the negative into computer and then resize print or save to disc.And its very handy to hide from Mrs Padi when she is on the war path,and to hide ones naughty things and single malts.
I always thought you as a well 'developed' man! Naughty things heh? Cartoon edition of the Kama Sutra?
Old 13 May 2006, 05:03 AM   #13
C.J.
"TRF" Member

edt

Last edited by C.J.; 25 May 2006 at 05:11 AM..
C.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 05:53 AM   #14
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Beautiful pics and plants, Padi...you must have a GREEN thumb!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2006, 07:42 AM   #15
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Love those trees Padi
Old 13 May 2006, 06:37 PM   #16
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani
Beautiful pics and plants, Padi...you must have a GREEN thumb!!
TREES TREES TREES TREES TREES: NOT PLANTS:: JJ.

This little Fig is a indoor tree,but can go outdoors in the warmer weather.This one I started myself from a few cuttings off my sons tree,and now its 3 years old.I will start to wire into the shape style that I want, this will take several years,cannot rush mother nature.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 14 May 2006, 06:44 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Now this one is a made one, and was originally a branch off the much
older tree below.I stripped a narrow band of bark around branch and
then covered and wired with a bit of soil and moss.Waited for about a year for the new roots to form.Then cut branch from the parent tree this was about 25-30 years ago,so suppose this is the
chip of the old block.

Chinese Elm branch of the one above approx 25-30 years old now.Chip off the old block.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 15 May 2006, 01:48 AM   #18
----

Quote:
I can't recall what the second tree was, but the first one was a juniper. We were given some information about care, and it did say that the tree should be outside in the summer months, but could not handle our winters outside.

There was certainly no indication that we had to water it as often as you suggest, so I suspect that they both died from a lack of water. I recall we used to water them by soaking them in a tub of water - container and all.

Thanks for the pics and information. We might give this a try again some time in the future.
Old 15 May 2006, 02:06 AM   #19
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Well Al yes when you water, rain water is best,just place Bonsai into water slightly below rim of pot.Then tilt slightly to drain excess water.Junipers are quite hardy but will not take to much hard frost.Best put in a frost free place but not indoors,much to warm.They just need a feed March,April,May,then October to give them a bit of feed though winter.Sorry you lost them but do have another go.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 January 2007, 03:22 AM   #20
Goldsplinter

Hey Padi here's a Bonsai Tree that I bought about a month ago at a wholesale store (BJ's)

I'm currently manipulating how it's growing... hopefully it comes out how I desire it too. I like the lil flowers it grew. It's like a lil big tree.
Goldsplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2007, 03:23 AM   #21
Goldsplinter

And do you talk to your trees? Ever read a book called "The Secret Life Of Plants"?
Old 5 January 2007, 04:13 AM   #22
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsplinter View Post
And do you talk to your trees? Ever read a book called "The Secret Life Of Plants"?
We guys here only talk to our watches!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2007, 04:18 AM   #23
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsplinter View Post
Talk to my trees well only when I have had one to many single malts.But I sometimes fall over as well,and talk complete bol#x,after a few alcoholic drinks, so my wife has told me.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 5 January 2007, 04:47 AM   #24
Goldsplinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Talk to my trees well only when I have had one to many single malts.But I sometimes fall over as well,and talk complete bol#x,after a few alcoholic drinks, so my wife has told me.
Old 5 January 2007, 07:56 AM   #25
Otis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega x 2
Just gorgeous Padi!
I'm always amazed by the majesty that they have, even though they are only small. There seems to be a bit of fantasy surrounding them. Very nice mate!
Old 17 January 2007, 05:14 AM   #26
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
My Bro In Law got his second Bonzai tree for Chrismas.
No pics, but his are about 12 inches tall.
How tall would yours be Peter?
At what height, do they not qualify as bonzai anymore? ie revert to "normal" trees?

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote