The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 September 2018, 05:13 AM   #1
vipergts66
"TRF" Member

The Omega Experience

As we post about the “Rolex strategy” and lament about product releases and numbers, I wanted to share an experience I had with Omega.

As many of us know Omega has annual limited release editions that are limited by quantity produced and number allocated to each country worldwide.

I recently was placed on the order list for a very limited Speedmaster (500) release and it was a pleasant experience.

Omega USA knows exactly how many of each piece will be allocated nationwide and furthermore most boutique stores know how many they will get. In searching for this piece I did call about 4 boutiques before I was placed on a list. They take from 50-100% deposit, fully refundable, but if they take your deposit you are guaranteed the item and often times it’s shipped directly to you. They then have a secondary list in the event that reservation holders change their mind.

This transparency was refreshing as boutiques are in the know about the allocated pieces.

So I pose this question, do you prefer the way Rolex operates now which is anyone’s guess? Or Omega’s approach of full transparency?

Supposed we knew how many DaytonaC or SS BLRO will come to each AD nationwide; does that put us at ease if you’re #10 and you know your AD will get 4 a year?

I’m certainly no VIP anywhere but Omega made me feel that way, very willing to work with and find the piece. Truth or not they claim their VIP are merely alerted earlier when limited pieces are about to be released, and not that they are offered items over random walk-ins.
Apple Watch Series 1
vipergts66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:17 AM   #2
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Sounds very refreshing ! but...it won't lead to the hype Rolex have around the hard to get models which drives awareness and want.

Ultimately two different business strategies, but which is better depends on the perspective one looks with.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:22 AM   #3
Retrop
"TRF" Member

Personally speaking I do like that idea. I would imagine most people wouldn’t mind waiting 6 months, 1 or 2 years for a hard to get piece, it’s not knowing whether you will ever get it at all which is the killer.
I totally understand Rolex have a model which works (for them) do why would they change it. But sometimes the thought of having to work hard for a shed load of money then you have to kiss an AD’s a*** for over a year in the hope they will allow you to have it, does leave a sour taste
Retrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
It seems the way Rolex and Omega market is like night and day. Omega has so many special limited editions that nothing seems special. Rolex really has nothing special or limited but they all are. I like a few Omegas but not enough to own because I know they wouldn't get wrist time away from the Rolexs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:12 AM   #5
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
I like the transparency but I think many people on waiting lists for a Daytona knew for certain it will take 4 years to get one they'd move on to something else. They don't in part thinking, hoping, believing, they'll get one soon. Rolex has no incentive to be that transparent with their supply, it would risk sales. Or (god forbid) help the gray market.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2018, 07:55 PM   #6
roosvelt
Banned

Watch: 16613 serti 18078
Just recently I was TT a omega AD. who just lost his account with omega because he wasn't selling enough. His complaint with omega they lie about the numbers on limited series and that omega dumps their slow selling models to grays for stupid cheap then he can't compete with the grays prices since he his a brick and mortar AD with high overhead. Not bashing omega just thought it was insightful.
roosvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 12:27 AM   #7
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I can only state the three Omega Boutiques I've been in (local one in Houston, South Coast Mall near LA, and NYC) have all had full stock and very friendly personnel. My preferred Rolex dealer here and a few others I've stopped in to have always been nice to me...they just don't have any watches to sell to me. It's been debated ad nauseum but I think the whole "luxury scarcity strategy" is stupid. I buy things because I like them not because of some perceived exclusivity.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 01:42 AM   #8
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Omega knows how to do it.

They are great at taking care of their customers.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 02:32 AM   #9
bp1000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

100% agree.

My local boutique is extremely good.

I've been through a few Rolex AD's until i found a fantastic one which I will stick with.

But Omega boutiques (mine in particular) are another level. I enjoy just going in for a chat, they have some very knowledgable staff and they always sort me out with what i need.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 05:23 AM   #10
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post

sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2018, 07:42 AM   #11
FTX I
"TRF" Member

We are used to go after what we can't have. That's how it is. When a hot girl hits on you, you probably think she's crazy or got some illness but it's not necessarily true.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote