The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 10 October 2018, 04:56 AM   #91
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by T435 View Post
That is so frustrating. Definitely more needs to be done by TRF to ID sellers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, mods are not interested in policing the sales forum, it's a marketplace where the buyer must beware.

Sounds like the OP deviated from his trusted screening practices and went for a too good to be true buy. Lesson for everyone.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 05:02 AM   #92
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Nope, mods are not interested in policing the sales forum, it's a marketplace where the buyer must beware.
Yeah, I have to agree. OP learned a tough lesson here and seems another in this thread. Buy The Seller. Email references, poor listing and limited history, combined with attractive prices to save a few bucks = red flags. My intention here is not to rub salt in the wound as this has been covered already but instead to hammer home this lesson for other readers of the thread to see. Once TRF is notified of a scam or malicious post, they seem to jump quickly on marking it, that's really all I could ask from them.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:02 AM   #93
Gtecko
"TRF" Member

This is quite unfortunate -- hopeful your bank will help and as much as these events are sickening to everyone' stomach, those are good story to share, I didn't know about this fake courier website, something to watch out for next time.
Cheers, keep up posted !
Gtecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:05 AM   #94
Auto16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexOmegaPanerai
Suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlps View Post
For everyone saying to only buy from trusted members you make a fair point, but at the same time I am trying to sell my watches on here like everyone else, and I have no trade history. Am I going to rule out others when I myself want to begin building a trading relationship here? It's a murky area. Feel for the op since he obviously sent a fair bit more than me.
I really feel for anyone a victim of these scams. I would say if you are trying to buy/sell on the FS section and don't have "trusted " status just stick to face to face transactions to be safe.
Auto16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:38 AM   #95
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by T435 View Post
That is so frustrating. Definitely more needs to be done by TRF to ID sellers.

Disagree. Up to the buyer to read the "sticky" in the for sale forum and do "due diligence". We are all adults, and it is our responsibility to vet the seller before wiring thousands of $$
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 06:43 AM   #96
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblu10 View Post
disagree. Up to the buyer to read the "sticky" in the for sale forum and do "due diligence". We are all adults, and it is our responsibility to vet the seller before wiring thousands of $$
+1
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 07:28 AM   #97
Patrick361
"TRF" Member

I'm pretty new here and have done a lil cruising through the for sale section. I'm not rich, each one of these watches for me is hard earned blood sweat and tears. I'm pulling for you OP. This whole mess on my second day here is very disheartening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Patrick361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:02 AM   #98
pjaffe
"TRF" Member

There are probably 5 people I'd buy a watch from on here (add me to the countless positive votes for DavidSW). This just makes me sick to my stomach for OP.
pjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:32 AM   #99
kowill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Hello all,

I haven't been on here in a long time, and to come back and see something like this happen to good people is just so disheartening. This is just horrible and i hope you can at least recoup some of your money, as unlikely as it may be. Best of luck to OP.
kowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 08:46 AM   #100
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post

Sounds like the OP deviated from his trusted screening practices and went for a too good to be true buy. Lesson for everyone.

One minor change to our rules that might really help is a hand written screen name and date with all sales. Might help to prevent people listing watches they don’t actually have. That’s what happens on another forum i use (Scotty Cameron putters) and in 10+ years i can’t recall many scams. It’s a simple modification that anyone who is actually selling a watch should be happy to incorporate. As a buyer, i would certainly feel more confident.

Too good to be true, walk away. I always check a sellers posts too see if they are a legit member or just boosting post counts. I probably wouldn’t even consider buying a watch from someone without them being a member for multiple years with multiple references. It’s too much money.

Pulling for the OP but with bankwires are tough to recover money from.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:17 AM   #101
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
One minor change to our rules that might really help is a hand written screen name and date with all sales. Might help to prevent people listing watches they don’t actually have.
Won't give any additional assurances. They are easily falsified via photoshop. Buyer should request a unique identifying feature or set a particular time on the watch then photographed.
Old 10 October 2018, 09:31 AM   #102
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanAdian View Post
Dont think it is TRF's responsibility. Buyers take on all responsibility and risk when they decide to use a seller. TRF provides adequate tools and resources to do some due diligence on the seller.
Agree that it's not TRFs responsibility but I think the transaction goes both ways regarding the risks. I'm just as wary as a seller as I am as a buyer as there's always someone out there looking to take advantage. But with a fair amount of due diligence it is safe and I've been fortunate to have very good experiences with all of my forum transactions. 🤞
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:33 AM   #103
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
One minor change to our rules that might really help is a hand written screen name and date with all sales.
Great idea!
Old 10 October 2018, 09:37 AM   #104
Patrick361
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipereaper30 View Post
Great idea!
I think so as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Patrick361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 09:56 AM   #105
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Again, a handwritten screen name and date is NOT going to save you from falling victim to a scammer.

Case in point.
https://www.watchpatrol.net/?username=vval4

Original ad on chronocentric is gone but if you scroll through to the last photo you'll see what I mean. The pics are of 2 different watches. First few are the hesalite sandwich. The ones at the end are sapphire sandwich. Note the incorrect wording on caseback. Seller provided a fictitious reference on TRF (now taken down by mods) that the scammer planted a couple of months ago.
Old 10 October 2018, 10:03 AM   #106
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Concerned: Am I being scammed by a seller on TRF?

Why not add PayPal as an option? For the extra 3% you have insurance. eBay is flawed but it protects buyers!! I’m NOT recommending eBay, just making a point.

I have read too many of these sad stories on the internet. Rolex is a scammers paradise whether you buy from a retailer or anywhere.

The legit Trusted Sellers should protect their turf. There should be some form of stamp of approval.

I’m a consultant and deal with similar issues in other industries.

I am very sorry for this buyer’s drama!

seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:16 AM   #107
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
So sad hope you get your money back
Old 10 October 2018, 10:24 AM   #108
roaddog359
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy
This is why I once again say NEVER wire anyone money. You have ZERO protection and the seller has a watch (maybe) and ALL your money. I do not care who you are and how trusted you may think they are I will never wire anyone money. You are basically handing a stranger a stack of cash with no recourse. Even people I have purchased from multiple times will never get a wire out of me. I would rather pay 3% to afford me some protection not to mention cash back points. lol. DON'T DO IT!
roaddog359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:25 AM   #109
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 124060
I am so sorry that the OP has been scammed.

I'm even more surprised that so many people posting in this thread do not understand wires. A wire can never be reversed. Once a wire is gone, it is gone. It is a nonreversable transaction. I have cut and paste this quotation from the Wells Fargo Bank website:

"A wire transfer is an immediate form of payment. Once a scammer has obtained the funds you wired, the wire transfer cannot be reversed, even if it is fraudulent."

https://www.wellsfargo.com/financial...ire-transfers/

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:37 AM   #110
nektar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Op did a mistake, and I am really sorry about the unfortunate outcome. Do not start to judge him now. Nobody is perfect. I hope that he is wealthy enough not to really care about that loss.

nektar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 10:40 AM   #111
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

Wires. In theory yes but there are exceptions:

"There are exceptions when a wire transfer can be reversed, in the event of a fraud or erroneous wire transfer, and provided the money on the recipient side has not been disbursed.

In this case, both the banks would have to agree that the transaction was a fraudulent (or in error) and it will be reversed, minus any charges, etc. that may have occurred on the transaction network (e.g. SWIFT, etc.)."
Old 10 October 2018, 12:06 PM   #112
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch out gents and ladies and be cautious but there's no cause for alarmism. For example, today received a couple of PMs expressing interest in one of my sales here. The sender included a link that was 99.9% designed to hack my account. The folks here at TRF deleted the PM before I could even have a chance to make a mistake and open and click on the phishing attempt so THANK YOU to TRF for everything you do that's unseen to protect us.

Now I could say it's too risky so I'll never sell or buy here but then I'd be missing out on part of what makes this hobby so fun. Not to mention incredible deals that wouldn't be available elsewhere. So I feel terrible for those who have been scammed but it won't deter me from trusting other members here who are perfectly trustworthy.
Old 10 October 2018, 12:08 PM   #113
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorradoBrit View Post
Again, a handwritten screen name and date is NOT going to save you from falling victim to a scammer.
Nothing is perfect but it would be an additional deterrent and help build the whole picture when buyers are trying to figure out legitimate listings and sellers.
Old 10 October 2018, 12:09 PM   #114
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

How does this post help the OP?

Old 10 October 2018, 12:09 PM   #115
JacksonStone
Banned

What's the latest on the delivery? It was supposed to arrive today.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2018, 12:11 PM   #116
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Watch out gents and ladies and be cautious but there's no cause for alarmism. For example, today received a couple of PMs expressing interest in one of my sales here. The sender included a link that was 99.9% designed to hack my account. The folks here at TRF deleted the PM before I could even have a chance to make a mistake and open and click on the phishing attempt so THANK YOU to TRF for everything you do that's unseen to protect us.

Now I could say it's too risky so I'll never sell or buy here but then I'd be missing out on part of what makes this hobby so fun. Not to mention incredible deals that wouldn't be available elsewhere. So I feel terrible for those who have been scammed but it won't deter me from trusting other members here who are perfectly trustworthy.

The issue is the OP

Old 10 October 2018, 12:15 PM   #117
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabreeze60 View Post
The issue is the OP

The OP only made a mistake which could happen to anyone. The problem is people out there trying to take advantage of others so 100% the scammer is the issue here.
Old 10 October 2018, 12:21 PM   #118
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The OP only made a mistake which could happen to anyone. The problem is people out there trying to take advantage of others so 100% the scammer is the issue here.

We’re talking about a $17,000 purchase. You can’t make a mistake!!! I do this for a living.

Old 10 October 2018, 12:23 PM   #119
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Quote:
We’re talking about a $17,000 purchase. You can’t make a mistake!!! I do this for a living.

Transactions must be secure and safe!

Old 10 October 2018, 12:31 PM   #120
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Concerned: Am I being scammed by a seller on TRF?

Quote:
Why not add PayPal as an option? For the extra 3% you have insurance. eBay is flawed but it protects buyers!! I’m NOT recommending eBay, just making a point.

I have read too many of these sad stories on the internet. Rolex is a scammers paradise whether you buy from a retailer or anywhere.

The legit Trusted Sellers should protect their turf. There should be some form of stamp of approval.

I’m a consultant and deal with similar issues in other industries.

I am very sorry for this buyer’s drama!

PayPal might not always be an option. I have even seen trusted sellers not accept PayPal, not because of the 3% but the chance they could be scammed. There are ways to move money really quick or hack a PayPal account or the simple filing a claim. Most times the seller has zero protection.

I used a trusted seller a couple years back and only accepted wire. I bought the seller and no issue. I did notice they do accept PayPal now but from verified members.

I wish there was a way that buyers and sellers had equal protection on financial transactions.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote