The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 February 2019, 10:14 PM   #31
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
I have the same size wrists, they are flat and broad, but my arms are 16 inches and forearms around the same. ROO look tiny against my size and frame.

If you are a small person, you will look like a clown.

Having said this, this has not stopped anyone
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:53 PM   #32
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4one View Post
I have a driver and they indeed are large. You need to find the perfect fit since it's really top heavy. I've been wearing my Batman which is easier to wear. Also if you have small arms, the wide width of the rubber straps on the diver might bother you, it still bothers me. Kinda wish they used a tapered strap.

I guess the diver is a "divers" watch and is meant to be worn over a wet suit, hence the wide straps.
Weird how differently people view things. I love the wide straps which I think are perfectly designed for the purpose, whereas if they were more tapered or narrow they'd look much too small to balance visually, and probably wouldn't keep the watch steady on the wrist either.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2019, 10:59 PM   #33
jessicawhite
"TRF" Member

I have the exact same size wrist as yours, and this is the 15450 I got 2 weeks ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d3c.jpg (156.5 KB, 337 views)
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1d3d.jpg (207.3 KB, 339 views)
jessicawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 12:44 AM   #34
yoast
"TRF" Member

Great pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
She is being well taken care of over here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 9 February 2019, 02:13 AM   #35
aa909
Banned

I use a simply test, hold my palm facing towards me and if I can see the lugs of the watch extend beyond the edge of my wrist then it's too big. with that said, it comes down to personal taste, and you have to be comfortable wearing the watch. For example the above pic looks perfect IMO
aa909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 02:15 AM   #36
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicawhite View Post
I have the exact same size wrist as yours, and this is the 15450 I got 2 weeks ago
Wow. The 15450 looks great on you.
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 04:10 AM   #37
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post
I have the same size wrists, they are flat and broad, but my arms are 16 inches and forearms around the same. ROO look tiny against my size and frame.

Yep - arm and overall body size makes a huge difference.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 04:14 AM   #38
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
I've a slightly larger wrist than you. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

I would have to say close up wrist shots and wrist shots in general will make the watch appear larger than it is. A couple things you have to factor in is where are you optically judging the size of the watch.

If you are looking from a distance, say someone across a few feet from you, I highly doubt anyone will notice a appropriate size of the watch and therefore a larger watch on a smaller wrist won't make too much of a difference.

If you are up close in person and staring at the watch from down above (which usually is just you). Then I say as long as the lugs don't reach past the diameter of your wrist. Optically in a photograph, it will always appear larger than seeing it and trying it on in person.

What matters to me is the comfort. The lug to lug, I believe I can pull off on the Diver. However, my own hesitation is the thickness of the watch. Combining that with the lug to lug length and the rubber strap (not broken just yet) it might not be comfortable.

If you choose to go for it, you will require a short strap 100% and for your full experience, may have to wait until the rubber has been broken in. I find the alligator more comfortable and fits the smaller wrist better. I tried the Diver and the 42 Chrono side by side and it was strap that made the most difference in terms of comfort.

(other factor you should consider is that the ROO line is meant to wear a bit larger than a standard watch. We don't have to kid ourselves, it's suppose to look like a big watch. And therefore if it is appears slightly oversized, it's 100% meant to be (other than if it looks like a dinner plate on your wrist).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 05:10 AM   #39
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post

I think this is very true................assuming you wear the watch with sleeves rolled up/short sleeves, it's more about your forearm and arm size.

I don't have your 16" pythons, but I still have more muscular forearms relative to my tiny 6.5" wrists.............lol.
Therefore, I've been told my bigger watches (like my panerai 1312) don't look foolish on me.
Despite that, I'm still a bit wary about pulling the trigger on a ROOC, despite the fact I really want one.

I'm choosing a ROOC over the diver b/c I think the chrono will give the appearance of wearing a bit smaller (much the same way the 26331 does that relative to the 15400), but who knows? Plus the lack of the internal bezel pusher on the other side also helps.....I think
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2019, 02:44 PM   #40
ppalasthira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nastie View Post
I've a slightly larger wrist than you. Again, it comes down to personal preference.

I would have to say close up wrist shots and wrist shots in general will make the watch appear larger than it is. A couple things you have to factor in is where are you optically judging the size of the watch.

If you are looking from a distance, say someone across a few feet from you, I highly doubt anyone will notice a appropriate size of the watch and therefore a larger watch on a smaller wrist won't make too much of a difference.

If you are up close in person and staring at the watch from down above (which usually is just you). Then I say as long as the lugs don't reach past the diameter of your wrist. Optically in a photograph, it will always appear larger than seeing it and trying it on in person.

What matters to me is the comfort. The lug to lug, I believe I can pull off on the Diver. However, my own hesitation is the thickness of the watch. Combining that with the lug to lug length and the rubber strap (not broken just yet) it might not be comfortable.

If you choose to go for it, you will require a short strap 100% and for your full experience, may have to wait until the rubber has been broken in. I find the alligator more comfortable and fits the smaller wrist better. I tried the Diver and the 42 Chrono side by side and it was strap that made the most difference in terms of comfort.

(other factor you should consider is that the ROO line is meant to wear a bit larger than a standard watch. We don't have to kid ourselves, it's suppose to look like a big watch. And therefore if it is appears slightly oversized, it's 100% meant to be (other than if it looks like a dinner plate on your wrist).
Thanks for your insight. An interesting one indeed. The only thing to do is to go and try it out I guess.
Old 10 February 2019, 02:11 AM   #41
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppalasthira View Post
Thanks for your insight. An interesting one indeed. The only thing to do is to go and try it out I guess.
when I try on a watch at a dealer, one of the first things I do is find a full length mirror and see how the watch looks in the context of my entire body and not just my narrow "time telling" perspective. It also gives you a good idea of how it looks from an observer's perspective.
Old 13 February 2019, 06:21 PM   #42
ppalasthira
Banned

I went to try the Diver on today. What a beauty! And the heft! It felt like a full gold Rolex! But as you can see from the pics, the watch is totally overpowering my wrist. I dunno, what do you guys think?

I also tried on the 15450 (they only had ones with the diamond bezel). It was a good size. The proportions were correct for my wrist size.

The salesperson told me to wait for the 38mm ROC which is going to come in around fourth quarter of 2019.

The waiting game begins I guess.
Old 13 February 2019, 09:23 PM   #43
yoast
"TRF" Member

Looks big indeed... I'd hold out for the new 38mm ROC
Old 13 February 2019, 11:07 PM   #44
duc888
"TRF" Member

Far too big....
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 12:36 AM   #45
Mainewatchman
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Patek
Looks too big! I had one and didn't enjoy wearing it at all, larger size watches I think will start fading out more and more over time.
Mainewatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2019, 12:57 AM   #46
aa909
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhutch View Post
Looks too big! I had one and didn't enjoy wearing it at all, larger size watches I think will start fading out more and more over time.
LOL!! good luck with that
Old 14 February 2019, 04:19 AM   #47
Burlington
"TRF" Member

It really is a beautiful watch ! But agree it is perhaps a touch large, more so on the width of the strap somehow.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:57 PM   #48
ppalasthira
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
It really is a beautiful watch ! But agree it is perhaps a touch large, more so on the width of the strap somehow.

I know that it is overpowering my wrist a little. But it doesn’t look too bad when I’m standing in the mirror from a distance.

It’s one of those watches that I know I’d lose a bit of money over. Buying the watch out of passion. Eventhough I know that the watch is slightly big for my wrist. If am in luck, I’ll probably eventually learn to love it. But if I’m outta luck, I’ll end up flipping it and losing a bit of money. The latter tends to happen.

A more reasonable choice would be 15450, 15300 or even a 15400. But those ain’t the Offshore. It’s been a long time since I had a watch with a rubber strap. Of course, there’s also the 5167a. But my budget doesn’t allow for that at the moment. Plus, it is quite similar to my 5711.

Dunno. If a good used deal does come up for the Diver, I might pull the trigger. I ain’t gonna buy new this time cuz it would too expensive for an experimental impulsive buy. It might even consider the 15703 just to keep the costs down.