The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 February 2019, 12:13 PM   #31
greywolf617
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawil2002 View Post
Date is great.
Lol, Rolex outdone by Tudor.
greywolf617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:25 PM   #32
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I always would choose a date watch before one without. But in certain cases, when there’s no option, I’ll choose the watch I “want” first (Daytona). You get used to it quickly, and remembering the date, if you put your mind to it on a daily basis, isn’t that difficult to do once you make an effort.
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:39 PM   #33
fordmechanic
"TRF" Member

I have at times found myself glancing at my 114060 to check the date, and those few times I have wished it was there. But the vast majority of the time I look at it, I'm admiring the clean, symmetrical face which would be ruined by a cyclops, and I'm glad it's not there. Make sense...?
fordmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:58 PM   #34
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

What exactly do you like about the date complication? Is it for the look or function?

I don’t understand why people need to check the date on their watch. Unlike the time of day, who needs to constantly look for the date? I would think once per day should be sufficient. Plus I have calendars on my phone, laptop, work PC, and 2 paper calendars in my office. I would think many would be in the same boat.

If it’s for the look / aesthetic, then I get it. I also understand the convenience to some degree. But I honestly don’t understand the “need” to check your watch to determine what day of the month it is.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:22 PM   #35
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
I don’t understand why people need to check the date on their watch.
I never know when I might want or need to know the date. I don't check a calendar at the start of the day, try to imprint the date on my brain, and hope it will suffice for the remainder of the day. My mind just doesn't work that way. In fact, several times over the weekend, in casual conversations, I had occasion to want to know the date, and was able to glance at my wrist to find out. To have had to stop and consult another source would have been an annoyance. Evidently enough people feel a date feature is a desirable attribute in a watch that it's considered a very common inclusion; that's borne out by the fact most of Rolex's models have dates, as do offerings from many other luxury brands.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:27 PM   #36
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
I never know when I might want or need to know the date. I don't check a calendar at the start of the day, try imprint the date on my brain, and hope it will suffice for the remainder of the day. My mind just doesn't work that way. In fact, several times over the weekend, in casual conversations, I had occasion to want to know the date, and was able to glance at my wrist to find out. To have had to stop and consult another source would have been an annoyance. Evidently enough people feel a date feature is a desirable attribute in a watch that it's considered a very common inclusion; that's borne out by the fact most of Rolex's models have dates, as do offerings from many other luxury brands.
Fair enough. That makes sense.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:30 PM   #37
Psijason
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seamster 300 Green
I personally like having a date. Nice to look at my watch vs pulling out my phone.
Psijason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:40 PM   #38
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What exactly do you like about the date complication? Is it for the look or function?

I don’t understand why people need to check the date on their watch. Unlike the time of day, who needs to constantly look for the date? I would think once per day should be sufficient. Plus I have calendars on my phone, laptop, work PC, and 2 paper calendars in my office. I would think many would be in the same boat.

If it’s for the look / aesthetic, then I get it. I also understand the convenience to some degree. But I honestly don’t understand the “need” to check your watch to determine what day of the month it is.
It's purely for convenience. I just don't like having to take my phone out to find the date if I need it. It's easy to be on your phone too much these days so I do what I can to limit my screen time.
MordinSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:41 PM   #39
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I never know when I might want or need to know the date. I don't check a calendar at the start of the day, try to imprint the date on my brain, and hope it will suffice for the remainder of the day. My mind just doesn't work that way. In fact, several times over the weekend, in casual conversations, I had occasion to want to know the date, and was able to glance at my wrist to find out. To have had to stop and consult another source would have been an annoyance. Evidently enough people feel a date feature is a desirable attribute in a watch that it's considered a very common inclusion; that's borne out by the fact most of Rolex's models have dates, as do offerings from many other luxury brands.
Agreed
Old 19 February 2019, 01:42 PM   #40
greywolf617
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I have to sign and date paperwork numerous times a day, and I am very bad at remembering what date it is. I’m usually at someone else’s desk/on the fly when they ask me to sign something too. I can see where your coming from though.

Plus its such a pleasant opportunity to admire whatever watch is on the my wrist that day.
greywolf617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:48 PM   #41
412Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Cartier
It’s habitual for me to reference my watch for the date frequently throughout the work day. This will likely sound crazy to most folks but I found it quite disappointing when I chose a Daytona as my daily wearer. I have since fixed the issue with my Sky Dweller.

The Daytona was my first ever non date Rolex. No date just is not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:52 PM   #42
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Technically, that's half a circle. Full circle would be going from finding a date to be a must, to preferring no-dates, to going back to finding dates to be a must.
Not if it's a Rolex; most of their watches are round watches and therefore full circles!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 01:55 PM   #43
F1polesitter
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The same could be said about the time really. It’s displayed in your car, on your desktop, on your office phone, probably on a clock hanging on the wall, and definitely on your phone. It’s like saying “I don’t understand why people need a watch to tell time”. So why do you wear a Rolex?

F1polesitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:00 PM   #44
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
At the office, I sit in front of a computer with Outlook running all day.

Not sure I’m buying it when people say they need the date function for work. Do they not use computers? That’s almost unheard of nowadays.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:36 PM   #45
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
At the office, I sit in front of a computer with Outlook running all day.

Not sure I’m buying it when people say they need the date function for work. Do they not use computers? That’s almost unheard of nowadays.

Yeah but using that logic you don't ever need a watch either. And certainly not a Rolex. F1polesitter had a good response along those lines above. It's not so much about needing a date. As many people have stated here, you can find the date somewhere eventually. It's more about the convenience of having a date when you're not in front of a computer and of how much it would bother you not to have a date on your watch if you're used to it.

What you said makes total sense when you're near a computer, but you're not always near one.
Old 19 February 2019, 02:58 PM   #46
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Technically, that's half a circle. Full circle would be going from finding a date to be a must, to preferring no-dates, to going back to finding dates to be a must.
You are absolutely right my friend, I went a half circle :)
Thanks for pointing it out

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:30 PM   #47
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolextellstime View Post
You are absolutely right my friend, I went a half circle :)
Thanks for pointing it out
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 04:37 PM   #48
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Yeah but using that logic you don't ever need a watch either. And certainly not a Rolex. .

Not really, because I typically need to know the time a lot more during of the course of the day than the date. Plus, wearing a Rolex is really cool.
:)

For some people, the date function is a deal breaker for them. For me, the date function is a non factor. If there’s a watch I really like that has a date, then fine. If there’s a watch I really want that has no date, then that’s fine too. However, if given a choice, I’d probably go with the no date option. Btw, I’m currently wearing a Submariner 114060.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:17 PM   #49
ilovethiscity
"TRF" Member

Watch: the days go by
I do love the date on my watch but if I had a PM Daytona I’m sure I could come around pretty quickly
ilovethiscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:22 PM   #50
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Love the cyclops, it only comes with a date
Old 19 February 2019, 05:41 PM   #51
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Love the cyclops, it only comes with a date
im the opposite, the cyclops is not my favorite and all things being equal i could do without.

It could be used so you can read all the lines of text though, so it doesn't only have to be for the date models
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:45 PM   #52
RHJ

Watch: 214270 Mk1
I love my 214270, because I must never unscrew the crown without date...
And unfortunately I always know what date it is...
RHJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:58 PM   #53
Paul H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2001 Explorer ll
In all the years I have had a SD I have never relied on the date function. Never look at it. Now I am going to move onto a different watch, one that reflects my inner passions. An Explorer. Probably a 114270. This is because of its cleanliness and simplicity of function. The 114270 probably represents the best of the series from a functional point of view. The 214270 MK ll is a very seducing piece and sits so comfortably on my wrist, the upgraded bracelet is engaging but the overall presence ( with regard to size) is not what I am looking for. Forget about a 1016, particularly the R & L series. These are all to costly and many of the older models are not in good operational condition or are adulterated because of value. This is leaving the 14270 and 114270. The 114270 has the advantages of the improved 3130 calibre over the 14270 3000, has SEL but most important from my view point, does not have those annoying WG quarter Arabic numerals. It certainly would be nice to have the Luminova on these but I find that this is acceptable with this model. Not perfect but probably the best choice for me. I wouldn't be to concerned about the date business, the importance and convenience I feel is very much overstated.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 07:01 PM   #54
bob78h
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610
I went the opposite way, owned 36 and 39mm Explorers and a no date Sub before getting my Sub Date. Honestly I don't think having a date is critical (when I didn't have it I didn't miss it too much as you can always check your phone/computer) but having it is certainly very convenient. With that said, I wouldn't let lack of a date function stop me from getting a watch I really like (ex. Daytona).
bob78h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 07:03 PM   #55
peterpl
Banned

I'm one of those guys that NEED a date complication at an absolute minimum. That is why I dont own a Daytona, OP, ND Sub or anything on those lines.

A watch without a date feels naked to me and its probably the MOST useful complication on any watch other than of course telling the time.

I've learnt from past experience I cant do ND watches and I've lost a lot of money in the past learning that the hard way. No matter how hard you try if your a date guy you will never satisfy with a watch without a date imho.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 11:05 PM   #56
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Not really, because I typically need to know the time a lot more during of the course of the day than the date. Plus, wearing a Rolex is really cool.
:)

For some people, the date function is a deal breaker for them. For me, the date function is a non factor. If there’s a watch I really like that has a date, then fine. If there’s a watch I really want that has no date, then that’s fine too. However, if given a choice, I’d probably go with the no date option. Btw, I’m currently wearing a Submariner 114060.

Yeah, wearing a Rolex is pretty cool

The 114060 is such a well balanced watch too.
Old 19 February 2019, 11:07 PM   #57
MordinSolus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
In all the years I have had a SD I have never relied on the date function. Never look at it. Now I am going to move onto a different watch, one that reflects my inner passions. An Explorer. Probably a 114270. This is because of its cleanliness and simplicity of function. The 114270 probably represents the best of the series from a functional point of view. The 214270 MK ll is a very seducing piece and sits so comfortably on my wrist, the upgraded bracelet is engaging but the overall presence ( with regard to size) is not what I am looking for. Forget about a 1016, particularly the R & L series. These are all to costly and many of the older models are not in good operational condition or are adulterated because of value. This is leaving the 14270 and 114270. The 114270 has the advantages of the improved 3130 calibre over the 14270 3000, has SEL but most important from my view point, does not have those annoying WG quarter Arabic numerals. It certainly would be nice to have the Luminova on these but I find that this is acceptable with this model. Not perfect but probably the best choice for me. I wouldn't be to concerned about the date business, the importance and convenience I feel is very much overstated.
You've summed up exactly why I chose the 114270 over the other models. The biggest advantage to me is the SELs. I really can't stand HELs.
Old 20 February 2019, 12:02 AM   #58
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I really enjoy the date feature and miss it terribly when I'm wearing a no date watch. That said, there a few watches where I can overlook that and enjoy them even though they don't have it.

I never really get used to it, though.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:04 AM   #59
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I never got used to it with my Black Bay blue, which is one of the reasons I purchased the Black Bay GMT. Everytime I wore it I would find myself searching for the date several times a day. You don't realize how often you use your watch for the date until you don't have one. Yes many watches look better without a date window, but it is REALLY useful to have.
samson66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 February 2019, 12:23 AM   #60
Maiden
"TRF" Member

My first Rolex was the 114060 after years of wearing date watches. I was worried I would miss it to. Here is what I did. I am sure it will work for you.

When I get up in the morning I check the date on my phone. I say aloud, "today is the 19th. Remember that. Lo and behold I do.
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote