The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 November 2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Had no idea about the AP extended warranty!

Only through the forum did I stumble upon a thread that spoke about the AP warranty. One post mentioned registering online and getting an extended warranty, which I had no idea about. I simply logged on, created an account, which took 2 minutes, and now I have an extended warranty until 2022.

Funny thing is the big pitch from all the ADs were that yes, I might be paying a bit more through them but it's the only way to get a full 5 year warranty. So incase any others might be out there like me that were deceived, just don't know about this or just have not bothered to do so, it's absolutely worthwhile. Just downright deceptive of the ADs to do that.

Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 06:50 AM   #2
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
You lost me?

How was you deceived?

All models sold during 2017 and onwards come with a 5 year warranty but you need to register it online regardless of being from an AD or Boutique.
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post
You lost me?

How was you deceived?

All models sold during 2017 and onwards come with a 5 year warranty but you need to register it online regardless of being from an AD or Boutique.
I was being told repeatedly that the ONLY way I could get the full 5 year warranty was buying through the AD, which was not true.
Old 7 November 2017, 03:44 PM   #4
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

Thats true, only boutiques give 5 years. Extended warranty for non boutique bought adds 1 year to the usual 2 years so 3 years max.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 03:49 PM   #5
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
Thats true, only boutiques give 5 years. Extended warranty for non boutique bought adds 1 year to the usual 2 years so 3 years max.
Not true anymore...
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 06:03 PM   #6
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
I was being told repeatedly that the ONLY way I could get the full 5 year warranty was buying through the AD, which was not true.
But doesn’t the watches TS/Dealers sell also come from AD’s

I don’t know either way but can’t see how the online registration could stop this as all the watches originate from the same place and it only asks for DOP and serial numbers, the only issue would be in the event of an issue and AP SC asks for original proof of purchase and this is when they could enforce the policy.

However now they have introduced the warranty card this can be enforced easily.

But these big dealers/TS do work with AD’s so it wouldn’t surprise me a work around (which some already do) is the dealer sells the watch and then the AD swipes/registers the warranty.
Old 7 November 2017, 06:14 PM   #7
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I see enough confusion here to agree with Eric.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 November 2017, 10:42 PM   #8
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
Only through the forum did I stumble upon a thread that spoke about the AP warranty. One post mentioned registering online and getting an extended warranty, which I had no idea about. I simply logged on, created an account, which took 2 minutes, and now I have an extended warranty until 2022.

Funny thing is the big pitch from all the ADs were that yes, I might be paying a bit more through them but it's the only way to get a full 5 year warranty. So incase any others might be out there like me that were deceived, just don't know about this or just have not bothered to do so, it's absolutely worthwhile. Just downright deceptive of the ADs to do that.
Here is some info as there is some confusion on the warranty currently as well as previous warranties.

A. This is new, just in the last month when they changed the warranty so many AD's didn't know in advance

B. AD's never gave a 5 year warranty. Boutiques did (sometimes) at their "discretion" but not all boutiques did.People assumed there was an automatic boutique warranty when it was not the case.

C. 5 year boutique warranty was only good in years 4-5 at the boutique you purchased from so if you bought it at a boutique in Hong Kong but live in Canada the extra warranty was pretty much worthless unless you were going to ship the watch to the boutique you purchased from. I assume the regular warranty would allow you to get work done at any service center during the first three years and only restricted it in the last two years, but maybe not. Hence the confusion previously.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:25 AM   #9
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
C. 5 year boutique warranty was only good in years 4-5 at the boutique you purchased from so if you bought it at a boutique in Hong Kong but live in Canada the extra warranty was pretty much worthless unless you were going to ship the watch to the boutique you purchased from. I assume the regular warranty would allow you to get work done at any service center during the first three years and only restricted it in the last two years, but maybe not. Hence the confusion previously.
Thanks for describing my situation with my 15202 perfectly. I didn't realize that until after I had purchased the watch - but thankfully it's all moot now.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 01:21 AM   #10
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I used the new warranty extension for my pieces bought 2015 and 2016. In this new form I didnt need to enter purchase dates but it was rather fetched from their side. Interresting thing is that none of my "Warranty Ends" dates correlates to the purchasing date + 3 years. One was five month shorter, one was a few days longer and one a few days longer.

Are the dates related to when the AD or Boutique registered it?
Old 8 November 2017, 06:36 AM   #11
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
I used the new warranty extension for my pieces bought 2015 and 2016. In this new form I didnt need to enter purchase dates but it was rather fetched from their side. Interresting thing is that none of my "Warranty Ends" dates correlates to the purchasing date + 3 years. One was five month shorter, one was a few days longer and one a few days longer.

Are the dates related to when the AD or Boutique registered it?
So the 5 year warranty was applied to watches purchased in 2015 and 2016 as my understanding was it only back dated to 2017 purchases.
Old 8 November 2017, 06:46 AM   #12
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
So the 5 year warranty was applied to watches purchased in 2015 and 2016 as my understanding was it only back dated to 2017 purchases.
Sorry for being unclear. I understood that. But what I don't understand is why my 3 years warranty isn't counted 3 years from the original purchase dates of my time pieces.
Old 8 November 2017, 06:54 AM   #13
SC11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Sorry for being unclear. I understood that. But what I don't understand is why my 3 years warranty isn't counted 3 years from the original purchase dates of my time pieces.
Yeah interesting point as technically the info filled in by the AD at point of sale should be the starting date.

Maybe worth checking with AP?!
Old 8 November 2017, 12:01 PM   #14
aquatimerfla
Banned

According to APs website warranty is 2 years and you get the 3rd year when watch is registered.

Nothing has changed in this regard. As for 5 year warrantys, they seem to be boutique only.

All the information is available on APs website.
aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2017, 12:03 PM   #15
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
You lost me?

How was you deceived?

AP has no indication of this on their website

as of today on APs website:

How long is an Audemars Piguet watch guaranteed?

We guarantee your timepiece against all manufacturing and workmanship defects for a period of two years from the date of purchase shown on the invoice.For more detailed information, refer to the Customer Service general terms & conditions.You may benefit from an extended warranty (total of three years) by : Completing the form at http://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/service-portal before the end of the 2nd year of purchase.We recommend, however, that you proceed to a water-resistance control (free of charge) every year if your timepiece is frequently exposed to water and humid environments. If needed, a water-resistance service will then be carried out through our authorized network.
Old 8 November 2017, 12:14 PM   #16
aquatimerfla
Banned

My further research indicates many are getting 5 years. I have no doubt thats true. Why hasn't AP updated their website?

I got burned. lol. My AP was purchased Dec 18 2016. I only got the 3 years. I tried re-registering my watch to trick system. didnt work.
Old 8 November 2017, 04:49 PM   #17
SC11
Banned

Here

And my watch
Old 8 November 2017, 05:11 PM   #18
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Glad I wasn’t the only one that was a bit confused on this and appreciate the input. Regardless, was thrilled to see my extended warranty date when I registered on the web site. I was told just a few weeks ago by the AP boutique in Beverly Hills that the ONLY way I could get the full 5 years was to purchase through them. It sounded nice but wasn’t worth the extra $10k it would have cost me to go through them.
Old 8 November 2017, 06:21 PM   #19
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

I dont even have an invoice/receipt as I got mine from a grey dealer. But I based it on the date the AD indicated on the warranty. So I assume its 3 years from that date....is the date indicated in AP website..I need to check.
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 01:52 AM   #20
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
I dont even have an invoice/receipt as I got mine from a grey dealer. But I based it on the date the AD indicated on the warranty. So I assume its 3 years from that date....is the date indicated in AP website..I need to check.
Just jump on the website and enter your serial number, warranty number and you are done. I assume if not eligible it would say so but either way hopefully you would get your proper date.
Old 9 November 2017, 02:36 AM   #21
martfield22
"TRF" Member

That sucks that you had to find out through a forum but sometimes the ADs aren't as knowledgeable as we wish they were. Idk if you were deceived but maybe just a lack of awareness from the ADs part.
martfield22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2017, 08:50 PM   #22
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Does anyone knows if one purchase a pre-own watch but the original owner has either

1) not registered for third year warranty
2) already registered on the website

In both case will the extended warranty still apply? It's a 2016 piece.
Old 12 November 2017, 03:43 PM   #23
aleeboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Does anyone knows if one purchase a pre-own watch but the original owner has either

1) not registered for third year warranty
2) already registered on the website

In both case will the extended warranty still apply? It's a 2016 piece.
Yes. It will be automatically updated. As the screenshots show, there’s no buyer name linked to the watch’s serial and warranty number. Just enter your serial number and warranty number and see.
aleeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 04:18 PM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleeboy View Post
Yes. It will be automatically updated. As the screenshots show, there’s no buyer name linked to the watch’s serial and warranty number. Just enter your serial number and warranty number and see.
I assure you there is. It might not show on the customer facing side but AP knows the name of who bought the watch initially regardless of the fact a buyers name isn't on the "paperwork". The AD provides AP with the name of all buyers as you can't buy a watch anonymously. If you pay with a CC the AD has your name and if you pay with cash there is paperwork required and the AD has your name. All watches are linked with names of initial buyers, which are in a data base. That is how it was explained to my by AP.

The new warranty card with a RFID chip is moving in the direction of real time warranty activation so your details will be transmitted to AP from the AD in the future before you leave the AD.
Old 12 November 2017, 05:06 PM   #25
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
I assure you there is. It might not show on the customer facing side but AP knows the name of who bought the watch initially regardless of the fact a buyers name isn't on the "paperwork". The AD provides AP with the name of all buyers as you can't buy a watch anonymously. If you pay with a CC the AD has your name and if you pay with cash there is paperwork required and the AD has your name. All watches are linked with names of initial buyers, which are in a data base. That is how it was explained to my by AP.

The new warranty card with a RFID chip is moving in the direction of real time warranty activation so your details will be transmitted to AP from the AD in the future before you leave the AD.
So does this mean buying a pre-own AP, even if still under warranty, is technically void? That is, provided the watch is "re-registered" to the name of the new buyer?
Old 12 November 2017, 05:21 PM   #26
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
So does this mean buying a pre-own AP, even if still under warranty, is technically void? That is, provided the watch is "re-registered" to the name of the new buyer?
i have no idea. Currently it does not appear to be an issue but i have no idea if that will change. I was simply pointing out that AP does know who bought the watch initially. It isnt anonymous and they keep track.

I was told that the real time warranty activation in the future was so they could deny a sale to some person who has bought 10 15400's and is clearly a grey dealer. In theory.

It seems to fit with their consolidating dealer networks and exerting more control over the supply chain so it would not surprise me. There is a reason that the warranty the watch is sold with is still two years. The additional 3 is not part of the sale and could be made to be non transferrable because since its not a sales warranty it doesnt have to follow the watch. Doesnt appear to be the case currently, but there is a reason its not an automatic 5 year sales warranty.

What it does do though is add a major incentive to register as an additional 1 year wasn't doing the job and not a lot of people actually did register. Registering your watch for an extra 3 year warranty gives them more data as far as who bought the watch initially and then who registers it later. Its a brilliant way to track the after sales journey of the watch. Who bought it (what AD and when), who registered it later (where and when).
Old 12 November 2017, 06:07 PM   #27
SC11
Banned

I can confirm what T has written above, I believe he was told off the record pretty early on about the 5 year warranty and hinted as such on here.

A group of us have had a few conversations with AP UK and senior leadership there made it clear they are aiming to cut out flippers.

I was skeptical about this registering and back dating when I first saw it and the manner it which I was executed but since seeing the new cards come into play I can now see how they can monitor and if required control the sale at POS.

To what level they will/won’t control it is to be seen, but clearly steps have be made to monitor and possibly control sales.
Old 13 November 2017, 12:45 AM   #28
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
I just registered mine and I have warranty until Jan 2022. Very simple and easy to set up and register....I guess I can sleep at night a little better :)
1st amg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 01:51 AM   #29
Rmoor
"TRF" Member

Seems like a few greys keep inventory at their AP AD they work with and once they have a buyer for a certain piece, they have the AD ship the watch directly to the buyer from the AD. So I would imagine it would be easy to get around the buyers name as once the watch is sold, the AD can register the watch to the greys buyer. AP keeps track of dealer inventory so a grey dealers source may be able to cover themselves if AP ever questioned the sold inventory in stock as some AD do layaway.
Rmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 02:52 AM   #30
jumpmandk
"TRF" Member

Has anyone recently bought a watch from both the boutique and AD that they’ve tried to register online?

Somehow i see my watch in my online AP profile with the extended warranty info but after registering my boutique watch I see the warranty confirmation and extension but it doesn’t show up in my online account under My Watches.
jumpmandk is offline   Reply With Quote