The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 November 2017, 11:24 AM   #61
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

I've mentioned this before but what exactly do they think they're going to stop by removing the stickers on them?

Let's say from now on they managed to enforce that and they have their way, every new Rolex can only leave the dealer this way. Ok, so what does that mean to the grey dealers?? Nothing! If that's how even Rolex sell them 'new' what difference is it going to make that the grey dealers are now selling them 'new' without the stickers?

Why can they not see this?

If anything it makes grey dealer's lives easier as the playing field is more level and Rolex dealers have nothing potentially over grey.

And the funny thing is Joe public gets punished and can't desticker his virgin watch and there will still be underhand Rolex dealers selling to grey dealers and you'll have the even more comical situation of grey dealers having "fully stickered" watches when the Rolex dealers can't even offer that lol.
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 11:30 AM   #62
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
So, an AD removing "your" stickers is a concern, but a RSC KEEPING (stealing) "your" replaced parts is ok .....................

Old 12 November 2017, 11:57 AM   #63
charger
Banned

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkalicious View Post
Complete BS.
You know this how?
charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:12 PM   #64
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
There is a great joy (to me) in peeling stickers off a virgin watch... if true, more reason AD’s will force buyers to Grey Dealers.. DSW always has stickers on his new ones
Lately the hot models he has all say "new condition/dealer removed protective plastic". So I guess the rumors are true.
Old 12 November 2017, 12:20 PM   #65
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKDaytona View Post
I just bought The Hulk recently and was told by AD that Rolex requires all plastic stickers taken out before leaving the shop to avoid potential resales.

Is it true or is it just BS from AD?
Did they take your stickers off that Hulk? If they did it must be true.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:20 PM   #66
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
So, an AD removing "your" stickers is a concern, but a RSC KEEPING (stealing) "your" replaced parts is ok .....................

Nobody is forced to use the RSC. There are plenty of independent CW21's that don't practice that nonsense.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:25 PM   #67
T435
"TRF" Member

Yeah that’s correct picked up a subc last week everything had to be removed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
T435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:27 PM   #68
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
I've mentioned this before but what exactly do they think they're going to stop by removing the stickers on them?

Let's say from now on they managed to enforce that and they have their way, every new Rolex can only leave the dealer this way. Ok, so what does that mean to the grey dealers?? Nothing! If that's how even Rolex sell them 'new' what difference is it going to make that the grey dealers are now selling them 'new' without the stickers?

If anything it makes grey dealer's lives easier as the playing field is more level and Rolex dealers have nothing potentially over grey.

And the funny thing is Joe public gets punished and can't desticker his virgin watch and there will still be underhand Rolex dealers selling to grey dealers and you'll have the even more comical situation of grey dealers having "fully stickered" watches when the Rolex dealers can't even offer that lol.
There is a premium charged for stickered watches as this gives the end buyer full confidence that the piece is BNIB rather than LNIB
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:30 PM   #69
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.D.BeanCounter View Post
Yes, I too got the treatment on purchasing the BLNR recently. It was a little distasteful, as they waited until after I bought and paid for it to drop the news. I have owned many Rolex watches over the years, but this was my first brand new, my name on the card. Even if the stickers had to be removed before leaving the store, I thought I should have reserved the right to absorb the full experience of removing them myself... Not allowed. The salesman said, they have to do it themselves.
I eventually got over it, but it's a little offensive being treated like a criminal when spending that much hard earned cash.
Yep. Brings a new dimension to the coveted “AD experience “...which increasingly seem to involve getting offended and annoyed!
Old 12 November 2017, 12:31 PM   #70
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKDaytona View Post
I just bought The Hulk recently and was told by AD that Rolex requires all plastic stickers taken out before leaving the shop to avoid potential resales.

Is it true or is it just BS from AD?
Congratulations on the pick up!

Did a HK AD sell it to you?
Old 12 November 2017, 12:33 PM   #71
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Islandboy View Post
There is a premium charged for stickered watches as this gives the end buyer full confidence that the piece is BNIB rather than LNIB
And in the life of the watch doesn't mean much especially if the warranty is ticking. Working with a trusted seller should give one enough visibility into the watch; if you can't trust them then they aren't trusted sellers. The only reason I can think of keeping stickers on is for flipping.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 12:53 PM   #72
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post

Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 01:06 PM   #73
Allanmodel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Still Looking....!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman View Post
I picked one up a few days ago with all stickers intact.
Same here!

Walk out without removing it!
Allanmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 01:16 PM   #74
tng11
"TRF" Member

My AD today did not require stickers to be removed. Warranty card still left unnamed. My AD must be shaking in their boots for all these violations.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 01:18 PM   #75
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
And in the life of the watch doesn't mean much especially if the warranty is ticking. Working with a trusted seller should give one enough visibility into the watch; if you can't trust them then they aren't trusted sellers. The only reason I can think of keeping stickers on is for flipping.
Exactly my point - there is a premium offered and charged in the grey market for stickered watch.

I’m personally relaxed about whether or not a watch is stickered or not when buying from a trusted seller here. But Trusted Sellers and the buyers here represent a pretty small segment of the grey market overall
Old 12 November 2017, 02:03 PM   #76
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My AD today did not require stickers to be removed. Warranty card still left unnamed. My AD must be shaking in their boots for all these violations.
Well, that it's "your" AD makes it pretty clear why they'd be comfortable doing it. Obviously they know there's not going to be an issue with a familiar customer. But the other posts in this thread suggest that this new policy is being broadly practiced, and that it's starting to affect the GM watch pool.

If it's having even a small effect on grey marketers by preventing them from charging extra for stickered watches, then Rolex is probably happy with the result. If it's harder to find a truly "new" watch on the grey market, that will drive up the price of the remaining GM stickered watches (making new grey market watches less competitive with ADs) and also nudge nervous buyers to storefronts.

Personally, I'm happy to buy a "like new, technically not new" watch and save some cash, but I can understand why many buyers would want an inarguably new watch.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 06:10 PM   #77
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
When you view some grey dealer websites now, often you’re seeing now “unworn, but stickers removed by AD”

I’m not seeing that impact the price however so not sure it’s really working, although interesting seeing the non stickered “unworn” models filtering through.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 09:12 PM   #78
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
The policy apparently has just gone into effect. Might want to give it a little time before deciding if it is having an effect on price or not.

Price moves quickly for demand/supply issues, not so quickly for policy changes. Give it six months to a year and then it will be clearer what effect, if any, this policy is having.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 09:17 PM   #79
hulkalicious
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LVC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
How are you doubting this? You are from the UK where we have been living in a police state for over a year, or do you got Stockholm syndrome?

Taking stickers off or you lose your franchise is just the first step of four Rolex will use... just so you guys know what is coming.
Why? Because my Hulk, D-blue and BLNR had none of them taken off. The BLNR he said "would you like the stickers off?" and I said "no thanks" and that was the end of that. Granted that was all last year
hulkalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 10:28 PM   #80
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
When you view some grey dealer websites now, often you’re seeing now “unworn, but stickers removed by AD”

I’m not seeing that impact the price however so not sure it’s really working, although interesting seeing the non stickered “unworn” models filtering through.
Now that is funny. Just shows greys will find any way to not reduce their premiums.

Sticker-gate won't make much difference and hasn't in the UK, but if everyone here keeps saying it doesn't matter, then withholding the warranty card for 1 year will become normal practice, so probably best for members to be outraged at this minor invasion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkalicious View Post
Why? Because my Hulk, D-blue and BLNR had none of them taken off. The BLNR he said "would you like the stickers off?" and I said "no thanks" and that was the end of that. Granted that was all last year
Yes, last year was very different, it is this year that Rolex have really got at ADs to be far more proactive, esp with suspected flippers.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 10:32 PM   #81
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Now that is funny. Just shows greys will find any way to not reduce their premiums.

Sticker-gate won't make much difference and hasn't in the UK, but if everyone here keeps saying it doesn't matter, then withholding the warranty card for 1 year will become normal practice, so probably best for members to be outraged at this minor invasion.

Yes, last year was very different, it is this year that Rolex have really got at ADs to be far more proactive, esp with suspected flippers.
People are going to believe what they want to believe but its happening. The odd exception where it doesnt happen is just that, an exception. Getting AD's all on the same page is like herding cats so the fact its not applied uniformly isnt surprising but it does not mean that Rolex isn't pushing for it.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 10:33 PM   #82
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
The policy apparently has just gone into effect. Might want to give it a little time before deciding if it is having an effect on price or not.

Price moves quickly for demand/supply issues, not so quickly for policy changes. Give it six months to a year and then it will be clearer what effect, if any, this policy is having.
In the US it is all new, in the UK it is a year old and has had no effect on reducing resale prices which are rampant and SS stock is still invisible - it is just angering customers who are being inspected like Bouncers at a trendy club. Check out the 70 threads on life in today's Rolex UK.
Old 12 November 2017, 10:36 PM   #83
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
People are going to believe what they want to believe but its happening. The odd exception where it doesnt happen is just that, an exception. Getting AD's all on the same page is like herding cats so the fact its not applied uniformly isnt surprising but it does not mean that Rolex isn't pushing for it.
I think it was easier and quicker in the UK as there are far fewer ADs and the big greys like WF, Blowers were easy to trace back from. In the US many smaller ADs will probably not be told for months, they will target the big ADs with grey connections first where they know they or their customers are supplying them.
Old 12 November 2017, 10:37 PM   #84
Trazor
"TRF" Member

I have told my AD,the stickers stay on if you wish to sell me the watch.
No problems so far.
If you all stand your ground, then perhaps you will be treated like CUSTOMERS.
Trazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2017, 10:48 PM   #85
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazor View Post
I have told my AD,the stickers stay on if you wish to sell me the watch.
No problems so far.
If you all stand your ground, then perhaps you will be treated like CUSTOMERS.
No point causing a fuss, ADs are not going to risk losing their franchise to appease a few forum fanatics. If your watch is a popular SS model and you are not a whale then any AD would be crazy to risk losing his franchise for the sake of one very disposable customer.

Understand it is Rolex that are bullying the ADs, they are victims now, so no point adding to their troubles over this if you are not a flipper. Ask but don't insist or lose a purchase over this.
Old 12 November 2017, 11:47 PM   #86
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
So how will Rolex "enforce" this? Send spies into AD's during a watch sale to see what is taking place regarding the stickers? C'mon man!
I know what you are hearing may sound funny… Unless you have been around the Rolex watch market for some time. Rolex is a company that has an attorney on retainer in every major city in the USA. Rolex is also is a company that in the past and present has been known to buy grey market watches through customers/buyers to trace back to the originating dealers. Rolex has also through their attorneys put muilti million dollar lawsuits on unscrupulous sellers of counterfeit and modified Rolex watches over the years. Rolex still works with the U.S. Marshalls Office on the enforcement of their trademark infringement. Rolex implements adjustments and changes in various marketing and selling guidelines all the time. Some of the AD’s follow this and some may not. I know the sticker issue may sound petty but the marketing strategy Rolex uses and implements has also helped to keep Rolex the most demanded, collected and resold watch brand in the world.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 12:07 AM   #87
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
I know what you are hearing may sound funny… Unless you have been around the Rolex watch market for some time. Rolex is a company that has an attorney on retainer in every major city in the USA. Rolex is also is a company that in the past and present has been known to buy grey market watches through customers/buyers to trace back to the originating dealers. Rolex has also through their attorneys put muilti million dollar lawsuits on unscrupulous sellers of counterfeit and modified Rolex watches over the years. Rolex still works with the U.S. Marshalls Office on the enforcement of their trademark infringement. Rolex implements adjustments and changes in various marketing and selling guidelines all the time. Some of the AD’s follow this and some may not. I know the sticker issue may sound petty but the marketing strategy Rolex uses and implements has also helped to keep Rolex the most demanded, collected and resold watch brand in the world.
yep.

Having no shareholders to return profits to and no corporate tax liability due to their status as a "charity" gives them the extra cash to do just this. Any other company it would probably take too much away from their bottom line and profit for it to be worth it, but Rolex doesn't have that issue. Their entire purpose for existing is to protect the brand, and that is it. Their objective isn't necessarily monetary.
Old 13 November 2017, 12:14 AM   #88
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
As have I, and also had it dictated by the AD owner (who I know well). The exact wording I don’t remember but part of the rolex sale includes “sizing and sticker removal prior to leaving the store”, part of the “Rolex Way”.

However they seem to be flexible when they want, especially on non desireable models.

And with people they know aren’t going to flip it immediately and get the AD in hot water when Rolex can see the SN.

I have seen the letter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 12:29 AM   #89
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Now, unscrupulous seller can try to pass off LNIB as BNIB destickered by AD.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 12:31 AM   #90
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
Now, unscrupulous seller can try to pass off LNIB as BNIB destickered by AD.
either that or we are about to get an explosion of sticker sellers who can replicate Rolex's factory stickers and then selling them to grey dealers who then re apply them to new watches prior to selling