The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 November 2017, 12:34 AM   #91
KenU
"TRF" Member

Watch: u gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
I know what you are hearing may sound funny… Unless you have been around the Rolex watch market for some time. Rolex is a company that has an attorney on retainer in every major city in the USA. Rolex is also is a company that in the past and present has been known to buy grey market watches through customers/buyers to trace back to the originating dealers. Rolex has also through their attorneys put muilti million dollar lawsuits on unscrupulous sellers of counterfeit and modified Rolex watches over the years. Rolex still works with the U.S. Marshalls Office on the enforcement of their trademark infringement. Rolex implements adjustments and changes in various marketing and selling guidelines all the time. Some of the AD’s follow this and some may not. I know the sticker issue may sound petty but the marketing strategy Rolex uses and implements has also helped to keep Rolex the most demanded, collected and resold watch brand in the world.
Yes, and I suspect that part of their intelligence gathering network includes visiting this forum quite frequently, especially the For Sale section....
KenU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 12:51 AM   #92
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
And with people they know aren’t going to flip it immediately and get the AD in hot water when Rolex can see the SN.

I have seen the letter as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some of you may not agree with this but there are some dealers now keeping and sharing a list of know resellers who they will not sell to. Some AD’s are even holding back certain models from the showroom cases. An AD told me they had to tell a known reseller from out of town that showed up in person they could not sell to him because he was not in their sales area. No AD likes their name coming up on a watch that ends up being in a grey market resale.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 12:59 AM   #93
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
In the US it is all new, in the UK it is a year old and has had no effect on reducing resale prices which are rampant and SS stock is still invisible - it is just angering customers who are being inspected like Bouncers at a trendy club. Check out the 70 threads on life in today's Rolex UK.

The final price is the result of a lot of factors. This is just one.
SevenWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 01:06 AM   #94
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Some of you may not agree with this but there are some dealers now keeping and sharing a list of know resellers who they will not sell to. Some AD’s are even holding back certain models from the showroom cases. An AD told me they had to tell a known reseller from out of town that showed up in person they could not sell to him because he was not in their sales area. No AD likes their name coming up on a watch that ends up being in a grey market resale.

My AD will only sell to someone they know, who has a relationship with them, a bona fide local person. If they don't know you, you don't even get on the waitlist and they never talk price on the phone, even with people they know. Fifteen minutes after I bought my watch, Rolex knew all about me and the watch I bought. My AD sends people to Rolex USA for training and they said the databank Rolex keeps on every single sale is phenomenal.

Big Brother knows all about you these days!!
Old 13 November 2017, 02:26 AM   #95
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
Rolex knows nothing about me or that I own that specific watch until I send it into the RSC for service. When the warranty card is swiped at point of sale at the AD no buyer information is transmitted to Rolex. Only information that is sent is that the watch was sold by that AD on that day so Rolex knows when the warranty period starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenWays View Post
My AD will only sell to someone they know, who has a relationship with them, a bona fide local person. If they don't know you, you don't even get on the waitlist and they never talk price on the phone, even with people they know. Fifteen minutes after I bought my watch, Rolex knew all about me and the watch I bought. My AD sends people to Rolex USA for training and they said the databank Rolex keeps on every single sale is phenomenal.

Big Brother knows all about you these days!!
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 02:29 AM   #96
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Rolex knows nothing about me or that I own that specific watch until I send it into the RSC for service.
they do if you bought it at an AD. If not, they know who did buy your watch originally.
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 02:38 AM   #97
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcash0615 View Post
Rolex knows nothing about me or that I own that specific watch until I send it into the RSC for service. When the warranty card is swiped at point of sale at the AD no buyer information is transmitted to Rolex. Only information that is sent is that the watch was sold by that AD on that day so Rolex knows when the warranty period starts.
My AD said different. Just passing on what I was told.
Old 13 November 2017, 02:49 AM   #98
duc888
"TRF" Member

As I picked up my BLNR yesterday (in Germany) I asked exact this question. I there an order from Rolex to remove the stickers?
The answer was no. They do it on their own espacially if they sell one of the most wanted...Daytona, SD43, James Cameron etc.
I could have taken my BLNR home with stickers.
duc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 02:58 AM   #99
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
My local AD also insisted on having the stickers removed and the bracelet sized on the SD43. Luckily I managed to convince him otherwise. Bezel protector and hang tag were an absolute no. His words were he could run into serious problems if Rolex finds out.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 02:59 AM   #100
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc888 View Post
As I picked up my BLNR yesterday (in Germany) I asked exact this question. I there an order from Rolex to remove the stickers?
The answer was no. They do it on their own espacially if they sell one of the most wanted...Daytona, SD43, James Cameron etc.
I could have taken my BLNR home with stickers.
I only know what Rolex USA has instructed AD's to do. I can tell you that I have seen the letter. I can also tell you that whether AD's adhere to it will come down to themselves. Also for people AD's know well that's a different story. I will say my AD asked me not to post on forum or Instagram with stickers on after that letter came out which was in June if I remember correctly. Personally I don't think it is a big deal unless it is a grey dealer buying to flip which is exactly what Rolex is trying to stop.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 03:01 AM   #101
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
My AD said different. Just passing on what I was told.
Every AD has a different story.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 03:04 AM   #102
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
I only know what Rolex USA has instructed AD's to do. I can tell you that I have seen the letter. I can also tell you that whether AD's adhere to it will come down to themselves. Also for people AD's know well that's a different story. I will say my AD asked me not to post on forum or Instagram with stickers on after that letter came out which was in June if I remember correctly. Personally I don't think it is a big deal unless it is a grey dealer buying to flip which is exactly what Rolex is trying to stop.
It will get sorted in time. Its still early

Rolex is telling AD's what to do and then AD's are not all on the same page. Sort of like this:

Old 13 November 2017, 03:19 AM   #103
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKDaytona View Post
I just bought The Hulk recently and was told by AD that Rolex requires all plastic stickers taken out before leaving the shop to avoid potential resales.

Is it true or is it just BS from AD?
Does it make a[ny] difference in your Rolex ownership......?
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 03:37 AM   #104
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
1. If I have a trusted seller with a watch that is BNIB without stickers and is significantly less money than the same watch from an AD, guess where my money is going. So for me, sticker removal is not a deterrent at all.

2. Every AD I visit has a showcase full of watches without stickers. Are those watches not sold without stickers? Of course they are. Every day.

3. If Rolex wants to put a dent in the grey market, require new watches to be registered for warranty purposes at the AD point of sale by the original purchaser and make the warranty non-transferable. Then no grey market dealer can sell a watch with a true factory warranty. This of course hurts the person who decides he's no longer in love with his watch and wants to sell it privately, or in gift scenarios, unless some method were devised to allow transfers of warranty by bona fide original AD purchasers. This is the only method I can think of to make grey market sales less desirable.

Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 03:45 AM   #105
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Every AD has a different story.
Probably true insofar as deciding whether to enforce the policy and under what circumstances. I don't think she was lying to me, if that's what you mean.
Old 13 November 2017, 03:50 AM   #106
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch This View Post
1. If I have a trusted seller with a watch that is BNIB without stickers and is significantly less money than the same watch from an AD, guess where my money is going. So for me, sticker removal is not a deterrent at all.

2. Every AD I visit has a showcase full of watches without stickers. Are those watches not sold without stickers? Of course they are. Every day.

3. If Rolex wants to put a dent in the grey market, require new watches to be registered for warranty purposes at the AD point of sale by the original purchaser and make the warranty non-transferable. Then no grey market dealer can sell a watch with a true factory warranty. This of course hurts the person who decides he's no longer in love with his watch and wants to sell it privately, or in gift scenarios, unless some method were devised to allow transfers of warranty by bona fide original AD purchasers. This is the only method I can think of to make grey market sales less desirable.

#3 was what I was going to also say. They could increase the length of warranty time a bit to make up for it.

Rickenbacker guitars not only honor their warranty solely for the original purchaser, but they also do not allow returns, regardless of the dealer!
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 03:57 AM   #107
SevenWays
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Is there any way to figure out what percentage of the market the gray dealers represent? I went to my AD because I wanted to be sure I got a 100% brand new Rolex so for me, that represents the "typical buyer" experience but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe the AD route is the road less traveled? I might be generalizing inappropriately from my own experience.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:20 AM   #108
CaveDweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Timex
I doubt that Rolex can stop this from happening completely, although the AD is well within his rights to insist on the name to whom it is sold, and to put that name on the guarantee card

Many on here buy Rolex as an investment, and given rights of ownership that entitles them to flip it whenever they wish to. It is perfectly reasonable for a few to put them straight in the safe, “unworn” from day one, and to maximise the investment potential, stickers on are preferred

In such a case, the dealer is within his rights to keep the coffin and bezel protector from leaving the shop, and unless the card is filled out, he is likely to get into trouble not being able to “account” for who actually bought the watch

This is the only reasonable (IMO) way to go forward for Rolex

The accountability would allow Rolex HQ to cross reference sales against names, and clamp down on those who sell to the “greys”

And while we’re on the subject, let’s take a look at the Elephant in the room here …..

We all keep referring to the “trusted sellers” on here, and while quite a few of them are not involved in the practice of snapping up every BNIB SS Rolex they can lay their hands on, there are still a few who do

I fully realise (and largely accept) that it’s not the position of this boards Admin to judge who does what, but the fact remains that Rolex themselves are starting to look very closely at the grey market, and at the key players in that market - and with the greatest respect (just before I get banned), maybe we should too

Of course, that would blow the notion of “free enterprise” clean out of the water, and as long as someone is willing to pay over the odds for something they cannot find at an AD (simply because the greys are holding it to ransom), then the situation continues unabated

Your buck – your choice – but like it or not, we are feeding the situation ……
CaveDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:24 AM   #109
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum-Dweller View Post
I like to have stickers on my new watches (that's what separates New from Pre-owned in my eyes), but at the same time, I agree with this policy because the gray market is getting out of hand.
The gray market for everything, not just watches, is out of hand in the U.S. People look to make a quick buck from anything and everything that is in short supply. It's definitely gotten worse in the past couple of years.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:24 AM   #110
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is there any way to figure out what percentage of the market the gray dealers represent? I went to my AD because I wanted to be sure I got a 100% brand new Rolex so for me, that represents the "typical buyer" experience but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe the AD route is the road less traveled? I might be generalizing inappropriately from my own experience.
i have no idea but if Rolex reduced production of low selling models that would help stop the issue. Basically grey dealers take unwanted stock from AD's because they can't move them and as volume buyers they get discounts. Since they are already the AD's best clients they get the hard to get watches first too.

Cutting supply of low selling watches is the best solution not restricting stock of popular models as the dogs are the grey's bread and butter and really a lot of those go to grey dealers.
Old 13 November 2017, 04:26 AM   #111
NLYogi
"TRF" Member

The stickers are for me and only me to peel off whenever I want to.

1 Watch guy
NLYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:29 AM   #112
outtatime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deepsea
I passed on a BLNR this past week at an AD for this exact reason. They insisted they had to remove stickers, I politely declined purchasing from them. They said it was Rolex policy to remove, I told them it was my policy not to buy under those circumstances.

For me it’s not the “principle” or anything, it’s simply that I know (from one too many personal experindes) how careless ADs are with watches, and there’s a high degree of probability that in th the process of removing the stickers they’d also “add” some not-so-nice scratches and dings.

Scratches ≠ "Character"
outtatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:46 AM   #113
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller View Post
I doubt that Rolex can stop this from happening completely, although the AD is well within his rights to insist on the name to whom it is sold, and to put that name on the guarantee card

Many on here buy Rolex as an investment, and given rights of ownership that entitles them to flip it whenever they wish to. It is perfectly reasonable for a few to put them straight in the safe, “unworn” from day one, and to maximise the investment potential, stickers on are preferred

In such a case, the dealer is within his rights to keep the coffin and bezel protector from leaving the shop, and unless the card is filled out, he is likely to get into trouble not being able to “account” for who actually bought the watch

This is the only reasonable (IMO) way to go forward for Rolex

The accountability would allow Rolex HQ to cross reference sales against names, and clamp down on those who sell to the “greys”

And while we’re on the subject, let’s take a look at the Elephant in the room here …..

We all keep referring to the “trusted sellers” on here, and while quite a few of them are not involved in the practice of snapping up every BNIB SS Rolex they can lay their hands on, there are still a few who do

I fully realise (and largely accept) that it’s not the position of this boards Admin to judge who does what, but the fact remains that Rolex themselves are starting to look very closely at the grey market, and at the key players in that market - and with the greatest respect (just before I get banned), maybe we should too

Of course, that would blow the notion of “free enterprise” clean out of the water, and as long as someone is willing to pay over the odds for something they cannot find at an AD (simply because the greys are holding it to ransom), then the situation continues unabated

Your buck – your choice – but like it or not, we are feeding the situation ……
There is no elephant, resellers here and greys everywhere serve a great purpose and have for years. What has changed is Rolex, they have completely choked off supply so ofc resale prices have risen. So Rolex need to either increase supply of popular models back to the old equilibrium we had for years, or raise prices to meet this new over-demand. Until then this is how the free market works, and it is not to the benefit of the customer, so if Rolex value loyalty they better get their act together.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 04:49 AM   #114
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
I passed on a BLNR this past week at an AD for this exact reason. They insisted they had to remove stickers, I politely declined purchasing from them. They said it was Rolex policy to remove, I told them it was my policy not to buy under those circumstances.

For me it’s not the “principle” or anything, it’s simply that I know (from one too many personal experindes) how careless ADs are with watches, and there’s a high degree of probability that in th the process of removing the stickers they’d also “add” some not-so-nice scratches and dings.
Once I would've been annoyed if the AD did not let me take off the stickers myself in front of them, but knowing how under pressure and bullied ADs are now in the UK I would cut them some slack as they now live and die by the letter of Rolex's law.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 05:02 AM   #115
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Once I would've been annoyed if the AD did not let me take off the stickers myself in front of them, but knowing how under pressure and bullied ADs are now in the UK I would cut them some slack as they now live and die by the letter of Rolex's law.
Spot on and I agree 100%
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 05:44 AM   #116
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’m not thrilled with the policy. But it’s not a deal killer for me. If I’m going to wear the watch even for a short period stickers are coming off anyways so really besides principle what’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 November 2017, 05:46 AM   #117
keschete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500
Quote:
I posted this earlier in this thread:

My AD said exactly the same thing and he put the hulk in his safe. Took it out of his display on advice of their Rolex rep. I thought that was nuts. But he was thrilled that I put a deposit on it because out of state callers were wanting him to sell the watch to them and he said he can’t.

Also I started getting emails for yachting magazine two days after I bought a yacht master? Coincidence?
Old 13 November 2017, 08:38 AM   #118
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtatime View Post
I passed on a BLNR this past week at an AD for this exact reason.

So....you passed on a Rolex you wanted for fear that they would scratch (or ding) your watch in the process of removing the stickers?!

Sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous I read for passing on a watch. Ever.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 08:52 AM   #119
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
So....you passed on a Rolex you wanted for fear that they would scratch (or ding) your watch in the process of removing the stickers?!

Sorry, but that is one of the most ridiculous I read for passing on a watch. Ever.
myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2017, 08:57 AM   #120
KenU
"TRF" Member

Watch: u gonna do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post

C'mon, Mike. You never scratched or more likely *dinged* your watch using your fingernails?
KenU is offline   Reply With Quote