The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2017, 10:14 AM   #61
BreezyMan
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX DJ 1603
By the way seems like I may have triggered some Costco loyal team members I was not coming after you but the company Costco is not good for Rolex. You guys love these watches and respect them show it and protest with your wallet buy it right through ads or real grey dealers on here sorry but not sorry
BreezyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:40 AM   #62
Canefan1
Banned

So if a repair is needed do you think that Costco deals with Service centers that have Rolex trained watchmakers and use only genuine Rolex parts?
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:41 AM   #63
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
I once bought a TAG from Costco in 1999. They in fact Did tell me that because they were not an authorized dealer, I would have to bring the watch to them if it ever needed service. Long story short, some years later the bracelet broke. I took the watch to a major chain back then, baily banks and biddle. They were an authorized TAG dealer. They sent it of to Tag with no charge for shipping and Tag determoned the bracelet was defective and repaired it for free. Fast forward a few more years and the bracelet broke again. I again returned to the same jewelry store and same scenario only this time TAG said the bracelet broke in the same place and replaced it for free.

Costco is very reputable. I bought a laptop there and a week later, on the costco site it was about 40 bucks less, went back to the store and they refunded the difference. Then a few weeks later, there was another reduction in price I think due to a manufacturers coupon for that item. I went back and they adjusted he price again.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 12:04 PM   #64
CLTRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Multiple
I need Kirkland protein bars, rather not go but oh Well
♕ Daytona - 116520
♕ Explorer II - 16570
CLTRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 12:05 PM   #65
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by faz View Post
The problem with Costco is lack of selection. When they do have any Rolexes, they only have one or two of varying models so you have to get lucky in finding the one you want at the time you want to buy.
Simple solution. With Costco's massive buying power, they become a Rolex AD. Then Costco can stock a variety of models and ensure factory warranty and RSC service (if required/needed).

And as per their 'consumer-friendly' return policy, within a specified/reasonable timeframe Rolex purchases could be returned, exchanged or refunded. The 'previously-worn' (returned) models would then be passed on to gray market sellers who provided warranties of their own. A win-win for Rolex SA.

While this might have an impact on some ADs, there are plenty of other noteworthy watch brands for them to carry and they wouldn't be burdened with having to stock a required amount of Rolex inventory or be forced to pass off their surplus to the gray-market sellers.

In essence, the GM seller would now become a 'previously-owned' Rolex dealer like Bloomingdales, Real-Real and other high-end retailers.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 02:14 PM   #66
TakeYourTime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Changes daily
Does it come with a warranty card?
TakeYourTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 03:50 PM   #67
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyMan View Post
By the way seems like I may have triggered some Costco loyal team members I was not coming after you but the company Costco is not good for Rolex. You guys love these watches and respect them show it and protest with your wallet buy it right through ads or real grey dealers on here sorry but not sorry
No one is going to force you to buy anything from anywhere, you love your AD, cool, pay whatever they’re asking, build a relationship....Perhaps though, take what they tell you with a pinch of salt....
I don’t “love” Rolex, it’s just another nice watch, and like anything else, my tight walleted self wants to spend the least possible money on it.
I don’t believe buying from Costco hurts the brand, have you heard anyone, (outside of your AD), ever say, ”Well , I was going to buy a Rolex, but now that Costco sell them....”?
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 04:40 PM   #68
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
Simple solution. With Costco's massive buying power, they become a Rolex AD. Then Costco can stock a variety of models and ensure factory warranty and RSC service (if required/needed).
Nah, you don't understand Costco's business model.

They have majority of product lines which are staples and are stocked (in just one large size) constantly. Go in anytime of the year and they'll be there.

Then they bring in occasional special products that can be one offs or seasonal. These keep punters coming in regularly to check for new stuff; different stores might get different stock too.

Makes zero sense for Costco to become an AD, what they're doing now seems to work fine for them. They ain't opening a full service sit down counter just to sell an occasional watch/camera/iPad/spabath/coffin/3ct diamond. They're just there looking nice & if members wish to buy, fine. If not, that's fine too.

Same with other fancy brands like MontBlanc that Costco gets in occasionally. MontBlanc boutique is aware of it but can't do anything about it apart from deny warranty service on Costco-sold units.

I buy products for what usage & enjoyment I get out of them. Where they're sold aren't any concern, doesn't make it more nor less enjoyable as long as it's not too hard for me to buy it when I need to.

@ any ozzies who aren't Costco members... friend just said they're having a Open Day on 28th Nov, non-members will be allowed in to buy anything.

Definitely NOT going anywhere near a Costco that day if I can help it
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 04:44 PM   #69
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
You guys are tripping yes they do have broken watches they do not set time or date at Costco it’s not until the customers get it that they find out hey the date wheel is broken. You guys don’t know me so don’t say I just made it up. I’m very close to someone who works at a ad and not because I buy watches from him I know him in the outside world. He says breitling as well come with broken date wheels. Don’t shoot the messager that’s deplorable #makeTheRolexForumsGreatAgain
Have you ever been to a Costco? As has been more than apparent in the thread, Costco backs what they sell. Do you have data to the opposite? Not certain why anyone buying from Costco would take a problem watch to an AD? Why wouldn't they take it back and get a refund or have it repaired by Costco? It just doesn't add up.

Quote:
How is Costco any worse for Rolex than your "real grey dealers." Elaborate please. In God we trust; all others bring data.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 05:09 PM   #70
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
You get the 90 days with Rolexes was my understanding. Looking at the diamonds there may even be an inspection as well. I would only buy on this basis, anything else and you are taking a punt.
See post 53. He just confirmed with purchase life time ability to return the watch if dissatisfied.

Old 19 November 2017, 06:16 PM   #71
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Have you ever been to a Costco? As has been more than apparent in the thread, Costco backs what they sell. Do you have data to the opposite? Not certain why anyone buying from Costco would take a problem watch to an AD? Why wouldn't they take it back and get a refund or have it repaired by Costco? It just doesn't add up.

How is Costco any worse for Rolex than your "real grey dealers." Elaborate please. In God we trust; all others bring data.
Can't wait to see the data.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 07:15 PM   #72
mynameistaken
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116509 Steel Dial
* Fair price (20% off sticker + No sales tax + 2% executive cash back + 2% credit card cash back).

Question!!!! How did you manage No Sales tax.... I need to know this please. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mynameistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:56 PM   #73
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
you could head one state up to Oregon to purchase... no sales tax ��
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:14 PM   #74
Huliganchik
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 116503
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
Can't wait to see the data.
Dying in anticipation. Lol @"real grey dealers" what's next, authorized grey dealers?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Huliganchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:40 PM   #75
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameistaken View Post
* Fair price (20% off sticker + No sales tax + 2% executive cash back + 2% credit card cash back).

Question!!!! How did you manage No Sales tax.... I need to know this please. Thanks

Some way, somewhere, somehow, at some time, somebody is responsible for paying the tax.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:21 PM   #76
WhiskeyKoffee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdex75 View Post
Tiffany sued them as well, but won.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/568129001

The Tiffany suit was completely different and easily distinguishable. Costco was selling Tiffany knock off jewelry that was not made by Tiffany, and the Costco employees regularly represented the jewelry as being Tiffany. According to the link, many customers believed they were buying Tiffany jewelry when they were actually purchasing knock off jewelry. That's completely different from Costco selling actual Rolex watches.
Old 19 November 2017, 11:34 PM   #77
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
See post 53. He just confirmed with purchase life time ability to return the watch if dissatisfied.
That boilerplate card is not enough. I want something stating both watches sold and this particular watch has a lifetime return guarantee. Otherwise I think you are just hoping the manager will see you right at the time, and if they have a spate of customer abuses, which is inevitable, then the policy will officially change and you will not have this cover either. Like I said to me it is a punt without a definitive guarantee.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:39 PM   #78
JManuel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1975 Explorer II
I dont see the problem here since they are selling with a good discount, what really hurts the consumers IMO is the price increase creep the rest of the gray dealers are making, $500 here, $850 there, $1250 on this model, etc then other greys compare the price of another grey dealer and the chain reaction starts and in the end the AD's are left without a stock for MSRP to us consumers.
JManuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:44 PM   #79
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canefan1 View Post
So if a repair is needed do you think that Costco deals with Service centers that have Rolex trained watchmakers and use only genuine Rolex parts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post

And as per their 'consumer-friendly' return policy, within a specified/reasonable timeframe Rolex purchases could be returned, exchanged or refunded. The 'previously-worn' (returned) models would then be passed on to gray market sellers who provided warranties of their own. A win-win for Rolex SA.

While this might have an impact on some ADs, there are plenty of other noteworthy watch brands for them to carry and they wouldn't be burdened with having to stock a required amount of Rolex inventory or be forced to pass off their surplus to the gray-market sellers.

In essence, the GM seller would now become a 'previously-owned' Rolex dealer like Bloomingdales, Real-Real and other high-end retailers.
Correct me if I'm wrong, if you have a warranty card RSC will service your watch within the warranty period. How would Costco be any different than DavidSW?
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 01:07 AM   #80
rexG
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiya View Post
Nah, you don't understand Costco's business model.

They have majority of product lines which are staples and are stocked (in just one large size) constantly. Go in anytime of the year and they'll be there.

Then they bring in occasional special products that can be one offs or seasonal. These keep punters coming in regularly to check for new stuff; different stores might get different stock too.

Makes zero sense for Costco to become an AD, what they're doing now seems to work fine for them. They ain't opening a full service sit down counter just to sell an occasional watch/camera/iPad/spabath/coffin/3ct diamond. They're just there looking nice & if members wish to buy, fine. If not, that's fine too.

Same with other fancy brands like MontBlanc that Costco gets in occasionally. MontBlanc boutique is aware of it but can't do anything about it apart from deny warranty service on Costco-sold units.

I buy products for what usage & enjoyment I get out of them. Where they're sold aren't any concern, doesn't make it more nor less enjoyable as long as it's not too hard for me to buy it when I need to.

@ any ozzies who aren't Costco members... friend just said they're having a Open Day on 28th Nov, non-members will be allowed in to buy anything.

Definitely NOT going anywhere near a Costco that day if I can help it
l

Exactly! Thus, the photo of the very rare and seasonal “Costco” Rolex and this thread talking about it .....
116619LB SMURF

Last edited by rexG; 20 November 2017 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: Typo, clarification
rexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:07 AM   #81
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, if you have a warranty card RSC will service your watch within the warranty period. How would Costco be any different than DavidSW?
I was under the impression that Costco doesn’t include the Rolex warranty card.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:14 AM   #82
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
That is what I thought, maybe the buyer here could enlighten us?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 03:50 AM   #83
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I believe you are absolutley right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
That boilerplate card is not enough. I want something stating both watches sold and this particular watch has a lifetime return guarantee. Otherwise I think you are just hoping the manager will see you right at the time, and if they have a spate of customer abuses, which is inevitable, then the policy will officially change and you will not have this cover either. Like I said to me it is a punt without a definitive guarantee.
Neil, It's not a manger's word it is Costco policy. It's been consistent for the 22 years I've been a member. Why not go to a Costco yourself and feedback your discussion's summary to the thread. Just saying, "thing will change" or you don't believe doesn't make a thing you assert true. FWIW. I've had amazing responses from Costco on returns. The only one that was ever rejected was due to employee negligence and sloth; it has nothing to do with corporate policy. 10 years later another Costco took care of it for me. Statement of a policy on their corporate website amounts to legal obligation, imho.

Old 20 November 2017, 04:45 AM   #84
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
I had started a thread a few days ago about a watch I saw in Costco. However, the moderators decided to close it down as people started making jokes about walmart, costco, buying by the dozen etc. Not sure why it was closed as it all seemed to be in good fun but....since a costco thread is open , please give some thought to what you post or it may get closed down again. My question is....I wonder how they are able to get these watches and can Rolex somehow stop them?
Did you take this picture at the Costco in Scottsdale on N Hayden? I live in Houston but was in there last week while in town visiting family. Had to help my dad get a new TV. Anyway I saw that Sub there, almost took a picture of it. If you're not in AZ then there is another YG Sub for sale at the same price in AZ.
Wcdhtwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 04:54 AM   #85
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
It isn’t that hard to see Costco’s watch policy. They state their watch and jewelry specific return/warranty policy there. It looks like they have their own repair shop in Washington. If you don’t like that, they’ll refund you the full purchase price.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 05:28 AM   #86
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
It isn’t that hard to see Costco’s watch policy. They state their watch and jewelry specific return/warranty policy there. It looks like they have their own repair shop in Washington. If you don’t like that, they’ll refund you the full purchase price.
I've had a few discussions with a manager at a Costco in Houston. They will refund the watch anytime. But if someone abuses that, meaning they buy a Rolex and return it over and over, they have the right either not to sell you one or not to take one back in return. I'd think if you do this a few times in a year then you'd be at risk.

Also the manager confirmed they would send the watch to their repair shop if anything went wrong. What he could not tell me, and has never been able to confirm, is if that repair shop uses Rolex parts. That to me is the biggest risk buying from them, getting a watch repaired with non-Rolex parts.
Old 20 November 2017, 05:53 AM   #87
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
I've had a few discussions with a manager at a Costco in Houston. They will refund the watch anytime. But if someone abuses that, meaning they buy a Rolex and return it over and over, they have the right either not to sell you one or not to take one back in return. I'd think if you do this a few times in a year then you'd be at risk.

Also the manager confirmed they would send the watch to their repair shop if anything went wrong. What he could not tell me, and has never been able to confirm, is if that repair shop uses Rolex parts. That to me is the biggest risk buying from them, getting a watch repaired with non-Rolex parts.
Again, return it for a refund if you don't like the repair job. Pretty simple to me. I do have an issue with Costco supplied Rolex watches and that is lack of selection. It's all about chance and nothing more.

Old 20 November 2017, 05:59 AM   #88
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Again, return it for a refund if you don't like the repair job. Pretty simple to me. I do have an issue with Costco supplied Rolex watches and that is lack of selection. It's all about chance and nothing more.

Very true. But how would you know after the watch was reassembled there were non Rolex parts used? If you know going in thats one thing but from my conversation there’s no way to find out.

Old 20 November 2017, 06:16 AM   #89
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Well if you really have doubts send it too one of the forum watch makers for verification.

Old 20 November 2017, 06:29 AM   #90
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

I can't speak for Rolex, obviously, but this I do know, I am a Big Green Egg owner. I bought my egg from a dealer. This comes with a lifetime warranty on the ceramics. Occasionally I have seen them at Costco, and many many others have seen them at Costcos in the US.

I can tell you this with no uncertain terms that BGE will not honour any warranty if not bought from a reputable dealer.

Yes, I guess if you have some ceramics fail you can return it to Costco for a refund, but these are not consistently stocked to get a replacement.
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote