The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 November 2017, 03:29 PM   #1
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Fond memories of your first Rolex aquisition

My memory of my first goes like this...in a non AD jewelry store selling old gold jewelry . They store has been around for many years and has two locations. Anyway as they handed me the check for the gold, I wisecracked that I would put that towards my first Rolex. Even though I was the family watch lover, my wife, her sister and brother in law all got Rolex SS models before I had any Rolex . So the salesman says, hey, I have a few Rolex models in the back. Would you like to see them? I had been buying watches such as invicta, renato, citizen, seiko and a breitling but no rolex. I had een asking my wife but the timing always seemed off with other bills due. So, I deferred to my wife cause I knew if I said yes and then begged her to let me buy it, the doghouse would have my name on it. So he comes out with two, both 16613 subs. One was a bluesy but looked pretty beat up and the other was the one in my avatar, a two yone serti sub. It looked to be in realy good shape, but missing the fisheye, only 4 years old, complete set, inner and outer box, anchor, all booklets and original Rolex paperwork to the first owner. They said the owners wife brought in to the store to sell it after he passed away. Well, my wife said she liked it and that was encouraging. My brother in law ( who already owned a kermit) said he loved it. Then my wifes twin sister ( who bought her ss rolex at the same time my wife did) told me wife, if you dont buy that, I am going to buy it for Tim. (My brother in law). The jeweler said he would give us some aditional savings since we sold them gold and were a customer. Low and behold, we left the store, me incomplete shock and a proud Rolex owner with the watch on my wrist. That was a very exciting day for me! I still have the watch and enjoy it. You dont see these very often and people frequently comment on what a nice watch it is.

Lee
ingoodtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 04:20 PM   #2
tamiya
"TRF" Member

Nice score, lucky!

And the wife has a twin, eh?
tamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 05:11 PM   #3
ronald1980
"TRF" Member

Nice story, the watch carries on its journey when we don’t. If they could speak hey.
My first was about 10 years ago , preowned. Rose gold diamond dial daydate 36mm 118235 I think the model. Was about £9k all box papers 1 owner from reputable seller in London, don’t know if it’s worth anything. I never wear it now , I’ve gone larger but my missus ends up wearing it. Had a minor hiccup when the missus tried closing the clasp the wrong way and bent the gold out of shape.... fuming. Took direct to rolex back then in BEXLEY in Kent. Few weeks it was good as new. No service just repair little polish and threw in 3 pouches. Better service than I’ve had at the new premises in Kent. I’d get more info out the mafia
ronald1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 07:40 PM   #4
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
My immediate memory of my first Rolex was OMG I can't believe I just spent that kind of money on a watch from 1978. It was pretty traumatic but worth every penny. Since moved on to 2 other Rolex's at well over 3x the cost but that first one.......man did that sting!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:24 PM   #5
MonBK
Banned

Fond memories of your first Rolex aquisition

I was two years old and I remember I had to wait a whole year before I could buy it.

You've seen it before but like so many others I keep repeating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jag2r-2.jpg (52.0 KB, 297 views)
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 08:26 PM   #6
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I was two years old and I remember I had to wait a whole year before I could buy it.

You've seen it before but like so many others I keep repeating.

Repost!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 09:27 PM   #7
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

My first memory was great; however, I am more concerned about my next purchase where I will have to wait in a long line at Costco!
Old 19 November 2017, 09:49 PM   #8
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
My first memory was great; however, I am more concerned about my next purchase where I will have to wait in a long line at Costco!
Are you aware that they are not authorized grey dealers?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 10:03 PM   #9
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

...I wasn't no; however, the Washington Post thinks they are. Assuming this applies to Rolex as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d2bb43ded1ce
Old 20 November 2017, 01:01 AM   #10
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
...I wasn't no; however, the Washington Post thinks they are. Assuming this applies to Rolex as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d2bb43ded1ce
A great read. Thank you!

Lee
Old 20 November 2017, 01:28 AM   #11
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
This is my first.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 01:40 AM   #12
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Cool story and I do love that watch. Pics definitely do not do it justice...I remember my wife's surgeon had one of these on several years back and it literally made my heart skip a beat when he showed it to me. (we had established earlier we were both watch freaks )

One of my few knocks on the ceramic models is that when we went to the six digit subs we left this configuration behind. Oh well...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 02:01 AM   #13
dcash0615
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es
My first was a little over 11 years ago. Not a real exciting story. Was golfing with a few buddies. One had on a 16610LV. I fell in love with the green bezel. He referred me to his dealer and I had a BNIB 16610LV on my wrist the next day. Still have that 16610LV in my collection.
dcash0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 02:21 AM   #14
SDRider
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116613LB
I started looking at Rolex watches almost 2 years ago. I visited my local AD 3 or 4 times and tried on a few different models. The first one was a Date Just II in steel with rhodium dial and diamond number markers. I liked the watch and it looked good on me but didn't have the stones to pony up the money at that time. I then moved on to the Daytona, which as we all know, you can't find anywhere. I asked about it at my local AD and they only had one that was gold with MOP dial for around $22k. I tried it on but thought it looked kind of small on my wrist so passed on that one. I kept looking and then found this site and started admiring the iconic stainless/gold Submariner. Then one day in early June my son and I walked in to the AD and I tried one on. I bought it on the spot. It is my every day watch and I wear it almost constantly.

A few weeks later, my wife and I were in Maui on vacation and we bought her a Date Just 31 gold and stainless with jubilee bracelet, MOP dial and diamond bezel from Baron & Leeds in Kaanapali.
SDRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 08:05 AM   #15
dberman3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodtime View Post
My memory of my first goes like this...in a non AD jewelry store selling old gold jewelry . They store has been around for many years and has two locations. Anyway as they handed me the check for the gold, I wisecracked that I would put that towards my first Rolex. Even though I was the family watch lover, my wife, her sister and brother in law all got Rolex SS models before I had any Rolex . So the salesman says, hey, I have a few Rolex models in the back. Would you like to see them? I had been buying watches such as invicta, renato, citizen, seiko and a breitling but no rolex. I had een asking my wife but the timing always seemed off with other bills due. So, I deferred to my wife cause I knew if I said yes and then begged her to let me buy it, the doghouse would have my name on it. So he comes out with two, both 16613 subs. One was a bluesy but looked pretty beat up and the other was the one in my avatar, a two yone serti sub. It looked to be in realy good shape, but missing the fisheye, only 4 years old, complete set, inner and outer box, anchor, all booklets and original Rolex paperwork to the first owner. They said the owners wife brought in to the store to sell it after he passed away. Well, my wife said she liked it and that was encouraging. My brother in law ( who already owned a kermit) said he loved it. Then my wifes twin sister ( who bought her ss rolex at the same time my wife did) told me wife, if you dont buy that, I am going to buy it for Tim. (My brother in law). The jeweler said he would give us some aditional savings since we sold them gold and were a customer. Low and behold, we left the store, me incomplete shock and a proud Rolex owner with the watch on my wrist. That was a very exciting day for me! I still have the watch and enjoy it. You dont see these very often and people frequently comment on what a nice watch it is.

It’s a beautiful watch. A client of mine has one and I saw this version for the first time only about a year ago and fell in love with it. Just a beautiful watch. Great story too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dberman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2017, 09:02 AM   #16
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Thanks everone for reading and posting in this thread. I am enjoying your posts and pictures. Hopefully more members will chime in. For many of us, plunking down multiple thousands of dollars for a Rolex is exciting yet daunting and in many cases requires years of planning, sacrificing and saving to make your dream come true. I hope my next dream includes an 18kt tellow gold Rolex. While I live the green dial GMT, I think I would be happy with any model at least 40mm in size. That said, i am not sure it will ever come to fruition due to the cost of entry. If I sold my 166710LN and my serti sub, I could buy an older 18kt preowned sub or gmt. That said, I love those two watches and have much history with them, they are part of my life. Plus I dont know that an 18kt yelow gold model could be a daily wearer for me.

As they say, all ingoodtime!

Lee
Old 20 November 2017, 09:21 AM   #17
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah...the green 116718 would be a hot addition to what you've got. That would be killer!

But, I agree. I wouldn't give up the watches you own now for one. Just stay the course and good things will come to you.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2017, 08:02 AM   #18
ingoodtime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRider View Post
I started looking at Rolex watches almost 2 years ago. I visited my local AD 3 or 4 times and tried on a few different models. The first one was a Date Just II in steel with rhodium dial and diamond number markers. I liked the watch and it looked good on me but didn't have the stones to pony up the money at that time. I then moved on to the Daytona, which as we all know, you can't find anywhere. I asked about it at my local AD and they only had one that was gold with MOP dial for around $22k. I tried it on but thought it looked kind of small on my wrist so passed on that one. I kept looking and then found this site and started admiring the iconic stainless/gold Submariner. Then one day in early June my son and I walked in to the AD and I tried one on. I bought it on the spot. It is my every day watch and I wear it almost constantly.

A few weeks later, my wife and I were in Maui on vacation and we bought her a Date Just 31 gold and stainless with jubilee bracelet, MOP dial and diamond bezel from Baron & Leeds in Kaanapali.
Very nice indeed. I love the blue dial. I would love an 18kt sub with the blue sunburst dial.

Lee
Old 27 November 2017, 09:51 AM   #19
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I was graduating from HS. Long admirer of Rolex. Father has 1803 and mother has lady president. On graduation night opened a wrapped box of new adidas. Right shoe had green Rolex pillow inside with datejust 16233 with blue jubileee Arabic dial. Wore daily until about 10 years ago but still wear 5-10 days monthly.
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote