The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 30 March 2019, 11:37 PM   #1
Esfromny
"TRF" Member

Sea Dweller - Service provider recomendations

Greetings Rolex forum:

I have a SD, 10-12 Year old, and realize it may be time for its first service.

RSC may be an option, although I have mixed feelings about them (based on forum feedback & price).

Was told yesterday by a rolex re-seller (and known for great skills technician) that sea-dwellers need to go to RSC due to the side release valve and lack of equipment to support the test needed for that watch.

could you recommend any reputable independent providers that can do the work on a sea dweller ?

thank you.

ES from NY
Esfromny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2019, 11:57 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

Independent watchmakers don't have a fathometre that can test the watch to 1220m, or 3900m if you have a deepsea.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 12:27 AM   #3
2sInHot
"TRF" Member

Hi,
Possibly now a stupid question. Can an independent former rolex guy service a Deepsea but just can’t pressure test it to its max ?

Thanks in advance.

PJ
2sInHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 12:57 AM   #4
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sInHot View Post
Hi,
Possibly now a stupid question. Can an independent former rolex guy service a Deepsea but just can’t pressure test it to its max ?

Thanks in advance.

PJ
If he is a former Rolex watchmaker he probably won't be able to get any parts at all, so I would not send it to him.

A fathometre II pressure tester costs about €20k and not every Rolex trained watchmaker has access to them except larger service centers. I would want to know that my Deepsea passed the 3900m test after a service.
Old 1 April 2019, 01:03 AM   #5
2sInHot
"TRF" Member

Hi SearChat,

Many thanks for your reply and your informed knowledge.

I did wonder but great to know, currently my Deepsea is giving me no concerns, but I’ve had it from new for 8 years so just aiming off.

Thank you again and loved the 3135 photography and talk through.

Best regards,
PJ
Old 1 April 2019, 01:03 AM   #6
2sInHot
"TRF" Member

SearChart.... sorry auto corrected
Old 1 April 2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
I would say this information is a little black and white, and in some spots misleading. An independent watchmaker can have a tester that can test to 1200 meters. They are readily available, and for considerably less money than stated. Yes, testing to 3900 is nearly impossible for an independent. Also, a former Dolex watchmaker certainly should have the skills necessary to service a simple, 3135 movement. If they are no longer accredited, say, due to country specific Rolex requirements they could still use genuine parts.

Rolex parts are so readily avaialble on the open market that it is laughable. I would suggest you speak to the watchmaker, ask the right questions and go from there.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 11:46 PM   #8
Esfromny
"TRF" Member

Thank you Ashton.
Old 2 April 2019, 12:26 AM   #9
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
In reality though, would testing to lower depths not suffice for the vast majority of people?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 12:40 AM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esfromny View Post
Greetings Rolex forum:

I have a SD, 10-12 Year old, and realize it may be time for its first service.

RSC may be an option, although I have mixed feelings about them (based on forum feedback & price).

Was told yesterday by a rolex re-seller (and known for great skills technician) that sea-dwellers need to go to RSC due to the side release valve and lack of equipment to support the test needed for that watch.

could you recommend any reputable independent providers that can do the work on a sea dweller ?

thank you.

ES from NY
To test to the full W/R only Rolex RSC can do that but in the real world a test to 200m -300m if passed would be safe for most all water activities including scuba.Man or superman will never go to these depths in water with all these high rated dive watches its basically mine is bigger than yours.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 12:49 AM   #11
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
To test to the full W/R only Rolex RSC can do that but in the real world a test to 200m -300m if passed would be safe for most all water activities including scuba.Man or superman will never go to these depths in water with all these high rated dive watches its basically mine is bigger than yours.
Whilst I agree with you about real-world conditions, I don't agree about RSC being the only people that can test to that depth. You can buy a 125 bar pressure tester from Lititz Precision Products for $3500. That will take your Sea-Dweller to the required 4000-foot rating. I am not aware of any currently commercially available machine that can test the Deep-Sea.
Old 2 April 2019, 02:25 AM   #12
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashton_Horologist View Post
Whilst I agree with you about real-world conditions, I don't agree about RSC being the only people that can test to that depth. You can buy a 125 bar pressure tester from Lititz Precision Products for $3500. That will take your Sea-Dweller to the required 4000-foot rating. I am not aware of any currently commercially available machine that can test the Deep-Sea.
Real world is irrelevant, a simple Datejust that can resist 10bar is enough for 99.9% of people, active lifestyle or not.
But you buy the Deepsea as a novelty, and I would like to know if it could actually go that deep if I were to buy one, even if it is utterly useless.

As for parts (3135, etc) you are entirely correct that they can be found online and without any issue (just not the official way), I should have said that in my previous comment.
But compared to what the parts actually cost the market asks insane prices. 2-3 times the price of what it would normally cost.
If one has worn their watch for 8-10 years you'll definitely need a few parts replaced, complete geartrain, pallet fork, barrel + spring are not uncommon after a few years, why I would like to spend the extra buck and have it done at RSC and get your 2 years warranty with it.

Not necessarily a right or wrong here, I see your point and understand if one doesn't care about it being tested to ×× rating and wants to save a few dollars.
Old 2 April 2019, 04:20 AM   #13
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

I think you are missing my point. My point is that you can test the watch to the required depth, as the equiptment is available. I also agree that going to RSC makes sense in a lot of cases. I’m not going to get into the rest of the comment, as I don’t want to go too far off topic but I have some deftinite disagreements there.
Old 5 April 2019, 06:16 AM   #14
Esfromny
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for the feedback and insights on the options.

I read the feedback to suggest that while a special piece of equipment is typically used to test the Sea Dweller to great depths, equipment used to test a submariner for example may also do the job, and to me, a 300M test may be more than adequate.

Does anyone know of an independent that can work on the sea dwellers ?
Old 5 April 2019, 09:33 AM   #15
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esfromny View Post
Thank you all for the feedback and insights on the options.

I read the feedback to suggest that while a special piece of equipment is typically used to test the Sea Dweller to great depths, equipment used to test a submariner for example may also do the job, and to me, a 300M test may be more than adequate.

Does anyone know of an independent that can work on the sea dwellers ?
Out of interest what is the reason for you wishing to go independent as opposed to RSC or Rolex accredited? There is no reason to equate independent as being cheaper than Rolex accredited/RSC. Quite the contrary actually.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 12:49 PM   #16
Nelson6
"TRF" Member

What few people realize about dive watches (which is most people on watch forums) is that the deeper a watch is rated for, the better it does if you bang something with it at a shallower depth. It's the same with submarines as they are built to take more pressure than their rated depth would indicate, should they hit something, like an undersea structure or obstacle. It's a safety factor as much as anything else. The weight capacity of the tires on your car is probably much higher than any load they will likely carry.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many seek out "independent' watchmakers as if they are somehow just as good as the RSC watchmakers. They'r not, they are usually only cheaper. Only the RSC people have the latest training, the latest upgrades, the authentic parts and lubricants, and the most experience at working on Rolex movements. But of course, some people just have to cut corners to save money, like buying a "new" watch online. If you care at all about your watch (and you only have to get it services every 5-7 years if you dive with it, longer if you don't) go with the best.
Nelson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:39 PM   #17
OysterBracelet
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson6 View Post
What few people realize about dive watches (which is most people on watch forums) is that the deeper a watch is rated for, the better it does if you bang something with it at a shallower depth. It's the same with submarines as they are built to take more pressure than their rated depth would indicate, should they hit something, like an undersea structure or obstacle. It's a safety factor as much as anything else. The weight capacity of the tires on your car is probably much higher than any load they will likely carry.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many seek out "independent' watchmakers as if they are somehow just as good as the RSC watchmakers. They'r not, they are usually only cheaper. Only the RSC people have the latest training, the latest upgrades, the authentic parts and lubricants, and the most experience at working on Rolex movements. But of course, some people just have to cut corners to save money, like buying a "new" watch online. If you care at all about your watch (and you only have to get it services every 5-7 years if you dive with it, longer if you don't) go with the best.
OysterBracelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 10:57 AM   #18
jaroush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
Out of interest what is the reason for you wishing to go independent as opposed to RSC or Rolex accredited? There is no reason to equate independent as being cheaper than Rolex accredited/RSC. Quite the contrary actually.
I can also tell you cost and turnaround time are often the same. The independents are pretty backed up these days. I recently had a 7 week wait for a simple service.
jaroush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 11:13 AM   #19
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What few people realize about dive watches (which is most people on watch forums) is that the deeper a watch is rated for, the better it does if you bang something with it at a shallower depth.
I would love a deeper explanation of this...
Old 1 May 2019, 11:16 AM   #20
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me that so many seek out "independent' watchmakers as if they are somehow just as good as the RSC watchmakers. They'r not, they are usually only cheaper. Only the RSC people have the latest training, the latest upgrades, the authentic parts and lubricants, and the most experience at working on Rolex movements
There are so many reasons people seek out independent watchmakers, price is certainly one of them, but it is not all of it. Clearly, you own modern Rolex.
Old 1 May 2019, 11:42 AM   #21
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:

What??? You need to get out some and do some research.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 11:43 AM   #22
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaroush View Post
I can also tell you cost and turnaround time are often the same. The independents are pretty backed up these days. I recently had a 7 week wait for a simple service.
Cost is not always the same from an indy compared to an AD.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 12:35 PM   #23
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Sea Dweller - Service provider recomendations

I’ve had success with both indie and RSC overhauls.

The cost is invariably less with an indie for a modern Rolex - and one with a Rolex parts account has access to OEM parts. Things vary if you go vintage but that isn’t the case here.

The RSC generally offers a longer warranty than an indie. And you can utilize that globally.

Either route can yield great results or an unwanted poor result. The difference is the customer service you get if the latter occurs.

Lastly, a local indie watchmaker can become a great resource who listens to your specific requests regarding no polishing, etc. - and mine has become a true friend. Hard to duplicate that with the RSC unless you are a high volume dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote