The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 24 March 2019, 07:19 AM   #1
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough
Thinking of a new JLC

Been researching some, and though they are known for their dress watches, I think I’m drawn more to the sport models. I don’t like the square reverso, and while I like the ultra thin moon, I have the Cellini Moophase and feel it fills that niche.

So I’ve been looking and kinda like one of these 2. Both different from anything I have. Would like opinions from those who may know more about JLC than I do. Also any other sport watch jlc suggestions in the 5-7k range I may not know about? I’m no JLC expert.

Polaris

Master compressor geographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 March 2019, 09:30 AM   #2
Saaci
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Thinking of a new JLC

David Bredan did an in depth dive into this watch and all things JLC sports a year or so ago. Probably worth a read if you’re interested in JLC sports models

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/jaeger-...-watch-review/

Saaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 09:39 AM   #3
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
love the blue dialed model on it's SS bracelet. the dive watch pictured last by the OP is cool too but i would prefer the bracelet to be stainless color rather than the black anodized. all the JLC compressor sport stuff is nice but a sport style watch on leather just don't work for me.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:23 AM   #4
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
What about the Geophysic 1958 Limited Edition? It's a sports watch (shock resistance, 100m water proof, luminous hands, etc) but also has a dressier feel as well. Plus....limited to only 800 pieces in the world! I think they are selling around $10,000 though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:34 AM   #5
synequano
Banned

The navy seals line are nice (yup,they’re already discontinued),I have the navy seals alarm and my biggest complaint about that watch is the less than stellar lume as I’ve been spoiled by both Seiko and Panerai
synequano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
JLCs are amazing.
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2019, 10:50 AM   #7
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

Great comments all. I’m really torn. I know I want a JLC sport watch to widen my ownership of brands, but not sure which one. Nice problem to have I guess.

Old 24 March 2019, 11:02 AM   #8
DLRIDES
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Known to be one of the best movement makers in the industry. Many of the holy triniy watches have had JLC movements for decades. Their finishing quality, IMO, exceeds Rolex, and is almost on par with PP. They are currently soft, and depreciate considerably, so buy excellent condition pre-owned if possibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsurgBM View Post
Been researching some, and though they are known for their dress watches, I think I’m drawn more to the sport models. I don’t like the square reverso, and while I like the ultra thin moon, I have the Cellini Moophase and feel it fills that niche.

So I’ve been looking and kinda like one of these 2. Both different from anything I have. Would like opinions from those who may know more about JLC than I do. Also any other sport watch jlc suggestions in the 5-7k range I may not know about? I’m no JLC expert.
Old 25 March 2019, 05:00 AM   #9
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
I saw the new Polaris in an AD the other day, looks very plain in real life IMO. The Geophysic true-beat on the other hand is great
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:21 AM   #10
GsurgBM
"TRF" Member

How about this one? Anyone own one of these? I have To admit it’s been growing on me the last couple of days.

Old 26 March 2019, 01:29 PM   #11
ajw45
"TRF" Member

All I know is that I saw the universal time watches at the boutique and they look even better in person than the pictures! Do it!
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 05:10 AM   #12
tonhao
"TRF" Member

If you’re looking at Polaris I’d also consider Master Memovox. (About $7K) The vintage ones are fantastic and this feels like a faithful reissue.
tonhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 07:02 AM   #13
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

I've got 2 JLC's so you could say I'm partial. Both purchased either used or through a gray market dealer with 25% off retail (not going to pay full MSRP for JLC given their poor value retention). A Geophysic True Second (bought primarily for its unique movement and display caseback) and a MC Sector dial chronograph. Both are proportioned perfectly and I have the TS on an upgraded JLC black alligator strap and the Sector dial on a more casual Bulang & Sons Vintage blue leather strap. Workmanship is above Rolex IMO. AFAIK its all made in-house in Switzerland. Movement finishing and accuracy is spectacular. The TS is +/-0 s/d as I know what positions to leave it in overnight to retard or not the timekeeping. You can't go wrong with that Geographic TS if that floats your boat. I think the case is a little larger than the standard TS.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:48 AM   #14
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I just saw Doctor Strange and the SS PC features quite heavily and looks rather good, plus Benedict wore a Breguet in Sherlock, so in keeping with his classy, aristocratic choices.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:33 AM   #15
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Look at the Polaris in person before you buy. The dial may disappoint you in person: JLC obviously took a cost effective approach to making them versus the rest of the watch.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote