The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 11 April 2019, 10:34 PM   #1
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Wondering what is going on with this...

A couple of years ago I sold a Submariner to a guy in CA. He paid promptly and we spoke on the phone a few times. On February 28 he sent me the following email:
Hope all is well.I ran into some awesome deals on a few watches today was wondering if you would be interested in a black dial Daytona 116520 SS V series in MINT condition w/box and complete papers. My brother in law shipped me the watches for me to sell for him after running into some financial problems. He is only looking to get $9,000 which is a great deal for this watch. The watch is practically brand new. Also has a Omega Aqua Terra 150m/ Stainless steel case with a rose gold bezel on a brown alligator leather strap for $4,500, AP Royal Oak Volcano for $14k.
Then last month I sold my BLNR to a guy in D.C. He was very easy to deal with (unlike the first guy) and paid me within hours, and was satisfied with the watch (he's now listed it for $16,995 on his web site, FWIW). This morning he sent me the following email:
Michael,

Hope all is well, I ran into some awesome deals on a few watches and was wondering if you would be interested at all. I have a Stainless steel Daytona 116520 black face V serial in mint condition for only $9,000. It's a great price on a great watch, I'm helping my brother in law find a buyer for it after running into some financial problems of his own. It has a complete set of box and papers and includes extra links. I would buy it myself but I'm trying to sell the 2 I have right now.

Also selling for him is a AP Volcano like new and complete for $12,000 and a Rolex Submariner 116610LN like new and complete for $6,500 If your interested let me know. I'm emailing a few past customers of mine to see if there interested before listing these watches.
I replied to the D.C. guy asking what's going on and he has not yet replied. I don't think they are the same guy (different names, different email addresses) but it seems a little suspicious. Plus, I see now that the email address is different than the one that he used when he bought the watch from me.

I noticed too that none of the watches mentioned in the email are on his web site.

So, I guess this is a fraud alert, until I hear otherwise from the sender.

I wonder though how the scammer got my email address, as it is not the one that is associated with TRF and Paypal, unless someone hacked into the PM repository, and I never list in the "for sale" thread. Now I'm even more confused.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 10:36 PM   #2
m j b
"TRF" Member

OK, just heard from the legitimate seller that it is indeed a fraud attempt.

Beware.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
Old 11 April 2019, 10:45 PM   #3
stratlanta
"TRF" Member

Yeah I got the exact same thing a couple of months ago and alerted the actual person that the scammer was impersonating because it was a scam. They seem to be mining the feedback posts in the "who's who" section. I got it right after I had posted there and I think a few others have as well.
stratlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 10:51 PM   #4
m j b
"TRF" Member

Scammers are so annoying! Thanks, @stratlanta!

Old 11 April 2019, 10:56 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I get this same scam letter about once a month
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 11:03 PM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Scammers are so annoying! Thanks, @stratlanta!

It would appear (from a casual glance at the dialog) that the email of each of those genuine people has been compromised by the same malware.

Apparently it is an email botnet, and while they could be different scammers, the botnet uses a library of canned phishing spiels.

Could you check and see if the full headers on those emails are from the same domain or IP addy?

That might be worth posting (not the actual genuine email addy but the domain of the sending system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2019, 11:08 PM   #7
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratlanta View Post
. They seem to be mining the feedback posts in the "who's who" section. I got it right after I had posted there and I think a few others have as well.

Very possible. That is why I suggest people never post their actual email addy as a link.

Better to use a phrased approach. Not naming you - only sharing for all in the spirit of communication.

Example:

Instead of paul@pg.com (not me)

Use this: “my email is pg and you must add the @ sign with pg (dot) com”.

Ultimately AI bots will figure this out, but not for a while longer...

Old 11 April 2019, 11:36 PM   #8
m j b
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
That is why I suggest people never post their actual email addy as a link.
Good advice, however in these cases I never had my email address in any posting, nor was it in the feedback. Only via PM.

Old 11 April 2019, 11:40 PM   #9
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Good advice, however in these cases I never had my email address in any posting, nor was it in the feedback. Only via PM.

In your case it could be the other guys’ email that has been compromised.