The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 14 April 2019, 04:27 PM   #1
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Bad quality control or after market dial...?

Hey guys, borrowed this Two Tone sub from my uncle to review and I noticed something very odd

the dial has some... defects? bad quality? I don't know what to call it so I'll add a picture Ns hopefully you guys can tell me what's going with this dial

(he told me the watch is 100% real and made a deal with jeweler recently to trade it in + a few grand towards a Yellow Gold Rolex so the watch was definitely looked at recently which I think makes it less likely to be a fake)

(the crown is a little odd shaped and some of the text)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
RolexReviews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:34 PM   #2
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Looks very bad to me. The serti dial was flat blue. This one isn’t. Bad enough I’d consider it Franken at best. I own a 5 digit serti silver dial.
Old 14 April 2019, 04:37 PM   #3
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

more pics

Old 14 April 2019, 04:38 PM   #4
KenKun
"TRF" Member

Dial is fake. And look at the date. The 2 and the 6 is not even aligned. Ha
KenKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:41 PM   #5
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKun View Post
Dial is fake. And look at the date. The 2 and the 6 is not even aligned. Ha
maybe it was the angle? here's another pic I definitely can't tell

Edit: did a quick test with my phones crop tool to align and I seriously cant tell if there aren't aligned or not. Maybe I'm just sleepy

Old 14 April 2019, 04:51 PM   #6
KenKun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexReviews View Post
maybe it was the angle? here's another pic I definitely can't tell

Edit: did a quick test with my phones crop tool to align and I seriously cant tell if there aren't aligned or not. Maybe I'm just sleepy

Compare with other date wheels. It looks repainted. The numbers should be sharp
KenKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:05 PM   #7
bluered
Banned

Its a BAD after dial !!!
bluered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:51 PM   #8
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
The diamond settings look wrong to me. The date as pointed out doesn't look in line. Although your phone photos it seems to be.

Been a bit of a Grail watch for me since i was a young shaver. Of course i am a right proper novice. But have slavered over pictures of this piece for years.

All Serti's i have seen have been Sapphire on the 12, 6 and 9 positions on the Sub. Think it was Ruby for the GMT on the 12,6 and 9.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:57 PM   #9
peterpl
Banned

Sorry man but that dial is hideous.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:14 PM   #10
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Not poor quality control....that is definitely not a factory dial. It would make me suspicious of the rest of the watch as well.
Old 14 April 2019, 06:18 PM   #11
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
Looks very bad to me. The serti dial was flat blue.
No, wrong information. Serti dial on that model was silver or gold and with sapphire (blue) baguettes at 6,9 and 12.

The watch posted has an embarrassing hideous aftermarket dial that should be scrapped.
thesharkfactor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:35 PM   #12
kog
"TRF" Member

The lack of quality in all the text is enough, but the B in Submariner top is nearly filled in.

100% fake or the guy working on this dial at Rolex was on strong recreational drugs.
kog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:41 PM   #13
ppalasthira
Banned

Watch: SubC.5711.D500
Franken dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ppalasthira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 07:06 PM   #14
Brew
"TRF" Member

Are you sure that's not your uncle's brother's watch?
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 09:21 PM   #15
TimingIsEverything
Banned

That is by far one of the worst looking dials I have ever seen. 100% fake undoubtedly.
TimingIsEverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 10:24 PM   #16
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Looks bad.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 12:22 AM   #17
haven_seeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 19018N OQ
FAKE dial for sure. But the date wheel doesn't have any red flags. Anyone care to comment on the insert?

Maybe it's a genuine watch with a fake dial?
haven_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2019, 12:40 AM   #18
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, fell asleep shortly after my post.

He purchased this watch from a grey market dealer in Aventura Florida, the watch is real according to him I'm guessing he didn't have a sharp enough eye to notice the dial upon purchase (I haven't told him about the dial, he purchased the watch a few years ago I dont wanna be the bearer of bad news. He told me he's trading it in anyways so no reason for me to say anything to him about it)

So as of now I'm not gonna be reviewing the watch because it has a fake dial

For the person who said "uncle's brothers watch" I think I'm a reputable member of these forums. I've showed watches in my immediate family (Father, Mother, sisters etc) and never have purchased a fake watch or anything of the sort. My account doesn't have 1 post and I wasn't trying to sell this watch. Check my previous posts about finding watches too review that's all I was doing was borrowing my uncles watch (not my uncles brother... which is also my uncle) to review to keep my YouTube account active. Now that I've seen the dial is in bad shape I'm gonna have to skip on it.

Sure I've started crazy threads, but I think I've been posting long enough to not be a "con" on these forums. Again, wasn't selling. Was reviewing.

Thanks everyone for the replies again very helpful

RR

Old 15 April 2019, 12:43 AM   #19
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kog View Post
100% fake or the guy working on this dial at Rolex was on strong recreational drugs.

Old 15 April 2019, 02:08 AM   #20
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

I think if your going to do reviews on Rolexes, then you at least need to know what it is your trying to review.

I wouldn't dream of doing Rolex reviews as i have far too little knowledge on the subject and even i know that that watch is wrong.

Not being nasty at all, but if you want to be a reviewer and "followed" then i suggest you become an SME on the subject at hand.

Also i saw your post asking asking about borrowing watches from to review. No dealer in their right mind will let you have watches if you thought about reviewing the watch in the photos.

Touch of the real world there kidder.
Old 15 April 2019, 02:20 AM   #21
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BisonHead View Post
i saw your post asking asking about borrowing watches from to review. No dealer in their right mind will let you have watches if you thought about reviewing the watch in the photos.

Touch of the real world there kidder.
thought about? I agree that I should know more about the watches and Rolex brand in general but I caught on to the problem after looking at macro shots I took and posted them, clearly said above I'm skipping this watch. Could not see them from a far distance for example on my wrist.

If you said I reviewed it and didn't know then I could understand people not wanting to lend watches out, but just thinking about it? c'mon man

https://youtu.be/mDyFyynEe4U

This huge oversight left Rolex grasp, I don't think any dealers in their right mind would stop carrying Rolex watches now because this got out of a Rolex Factory

Old 15 April 2019, 02:32 AM   #22
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Quote:
thought about? I agree that I should know more about the watches and Rolex brand in general but I caught on to the problem after looking at macro shots I took and posted them, clearly said above I'm skipping this watch. Could not see them from a far distance for example on my wrist.

If you said I reviewed it and didn't know then I could understand people not wanting to lend watches out, but just thinking about it? c'mon man

https://youtu.be/mDyFyynEe4U

This huge oversight left Rolex grasp, I don't think any dealers in their right mind would stop carrying Rolex watches now because this got out of a Rolex Factory

Excellent video - I had not seen that one - thanks
PS
We know dial is fake (aftermarket?) are you sure watch is genuine?
A
Old 15 April 2019, 02:35 AM   #23
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Excellent video - I had not seen that one - thanks

PS

We know dial is fake (aftermarket?) are you sure watch is genuine?

A
I don't know if the watch is genuine, I've held it and set the time and worn it for the review I was supposed to make and it felt like a normal Rolex, only after looking at the macro footage I took I seen the problem with the dial.

He said the watch is real and was purchased from a grey market dealer in Aventura Florida a few years back. He also said that he was trading in the watch plus a few grand on top for a solid gold Rolex so I have no idea what to think of the situation

Old 15 April 2019, 02:39 AM   #24
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

There is no way on Gods green earth that this watch (Serti Dial) left the factory looking like that.

Maybe from Dr Frankensteins Lab. Most likely because he was rushed, as the villagers with pitchforks were chapping the timber wanting to be in.

A blind man, on a galloping horse, at the stroke of midnight, on the banks of the Tyne in a full fog. Would have spotted that, never mind macro shots.

Just being real world, to call yourself Rolex Reviews, suggests some level of comprehension of what the brand is, what it produces, what they look like.

I think your doing your Uncle and the watch world TBH a massive injustice not telling him about his watch. The dealer must be daft to take that in, unless its for peanuts. Then again he (Dealer) might be happy to pass it on as is to some poor unfortunate.
Old 15 April 2019, 02:40 AM   #25
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I don't know if the watch is genuine, I've held it and set the time and worn it for the review I was supposed to make and it felt like a normal Rolex, only after looking at the macro footage I took I seen the problem with the dial.

He said the watch is real and was purchased from a grey market dealer in Aventura Florida a few years back. He also said that he was trading in the watch plus a few grand on top for a solid gold Rolex so I have no idea what to think of the situation

Understand
IF you PM me, I can give you some way without opening it to check, but you need the watch available
Regards
Old 15 April 2019, 02:44 AM   #26
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is no way on Gods green earth that this watch (Serti Dial) left the factory looking like that.

All I can say, is that WATCHFINDER is a very honorable and well trained company.
They would not make up a story like that.
Their service manager is Rolex trained.

Strange things happen.
Adam
Old 15 April 2019, 02:47 AM   #27
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think your doing your Uncle and the watch world TBH a massive injustice not telling him about his watch. The dealer must be daft to take that in, unless its for peanuts. Then again he (Dealer) might be happy to pass it on as is to some poor unfortunate.
Am I wrong by not telling him? Maybe. You dont know how my uncle would act if I told him something he spent thousands of dollars on is fake (or to a very minimum the dial) he said he's trading it in so I see no reason to do that (if he just purchased the watch it would be a different story, I would not only tell him I would warn the forums of place of purchase and go with him there and demand a refund with him. But the watch has been worn for years and years and now its gonna get traded in. I think I'm gonna stay out of this one)

As for the dealer, I can't speak on their (wicked) behaves

Old 15 April 2019, 02:48 AM   #28
RolexReviews
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
Understand

IF you PM me, I can give you some way without opening it to check, but you need the watch available

Regards
Whenever I see my uncle again (I live about 40 minutes from him) I will definitely shoot you a PM and hopefully find out for sure.

Thanks

Old 15 April 2019, 02:49 AM   #29
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Adam, As stated in my post, the clue is in the "(Serti Dial)" hence i was referring to the watch that started this post. Which you even quoted!

I was not talking about the link to the double 9 video. I have no doubt WATCHFINDER is an honorable and well trained company. But since i was not referring to that in my post. It is some what irrelevant.

Last edited by BisonHead; 15 April 2019 at 02:52 AM.. Reason: Sorry Caps was on for your name, which is rude
Old 15 April 2019, 02:51 AM   #30
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Am I wrong by not telling him? Maybe. You dont know how my uncle would act if I told him something he spent thousands of dollars on is fake (or to a very minimum the dial) he said he's trading it in so I see no reason to do that (if he just purchased the watch it would be a different story, I would not only tell him I would warn the forums of place of purchase and go with him there and demand a refund with him. But the watch has been worn for years and years and now its gonna get traded in. I think I'm gonna stay out of this one)

As for the dealer, I can't speak on their (wicked) behaves

Thats entirely your call, but just be aware you helping pass a pony watch onto some unfortunate. You being a reviewer and all that, just saying.