The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 April 2019, 11:52 AM   #1
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
Richard Mille 35-02 Nadal review

I got into RM a few years ago with the 35-01. What attracted me to it was the light weight, durability, simplicity, and exotic materials. And I just thought it was damn cool

For those that haven't seen one in person, the watch has a ton of depth and pop. It is not captured in these photos. No issues with legibility as the skeletonized movement behind the hands is partially black DLC.

The NTPT carbon case itself has depth and shimmers in the light like graphite pencil lead. The notches in the case surrounding the bezel screws are a new RM design language that has permeated to the 11-03 and really gives the watch more personality. Dare I say that I think the RMs without it look boring in comparison. The case itself is also extremely durable and far superior to any other makers version of carbon. It seems impervious to normal wear and damage that would destroy a metal case.

On the wrist, I have never worn a more comfortable watch. At 50 grams you will forget that its there. Changing straps dramatically changes the look of the watch like a Panerai. I think its the perfect daily and my fav out of RMs current lineup.

For the watch nerds

Despite being a time only piece, there is a ton of eye candy when its on your wrist. You can see the gear train ticking, the balance wheel oscillating, the seconds hand constantly sweeping. Although the back is sapphire and you can see through the watch, when its actually on your wrist, you don't see much of your own skin behind it like the 55s. It just looks like the movement is floating.

But the best is the rotor winding behind the movement, kind of like a peripheral rotor. I find myself flinging my wrist all to often to wind it. The odd looks from strangers may hurt your feelings. Your friends will sigh. From other watch nerds, maybe a nod.

You can also estimate the power reserve by looking at how wound the double barrel hair springs are through the cut-outs of the gears.

35-01 vs 35-02

The 35-02 has an automatic movement, display case back, different movement, and slightly different case.

At first glance they appear very similar, but upon closer inspection, the hands and case are different, one of the gears of the 35-01 is bronze while the 35-02 is silver.

With regards to the movement and finishing, RM definitely stepped up their game from a few years ago. Even under a loupe, everything is flawless.
Winding the 35-01 always felt a bit like a toy. The 35-02 is smooth and feels like a precision instrument.

35-01 49.94 x 42.00 x 14.05 mm
35-02 49.94 x 44.50 x 13.15 mm

The 35-01 case is more narrow, thicker and less tapered

The 35-02 a wider, thinner and warps around the wrist more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rm7.jpg (214.9 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg rm5.jpg (181.8 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg rm6.jpg (215.9 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg rm4.jpg (169.1 KB, 394 views)
File Type: jpg rm1.jpg (131.8 KB, 395 views)
File Type: jpg home-image-4724018.jpg (22.1 KB, 392 views)
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 11:59 AM   #2
ggencerr
"TRF" Member

It is definetely the best RM by far. Almost impossible to buy with the retail price...
ggencerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:59 PM   #3
icok
"TRF" Member

Watch: Richard Mille
thanks for sharing. owing the RM035-01, I thought it is already the most comfortable watch ever, but it seems 02 is a step up from 01.
icok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 02:12 AM   #4
le-temps
"TRF" Member

Watch: 004
Nice review. Thanks for sharing
le-temps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2019, 02:44 AM   #5
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Personally, I still prefer the -01.......sold my -02s.
Old 25 April 2019, 04:40 AM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Best looking RM for sure! Very nice
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote