The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 June 2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

Name this Rolex?

Hi, I've been offered the below Rolex for £300 GPB in the UK. It's obviously currently not working hence the price but I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on this watch?

All I know is it's a 9ct Rolex Shock Resisting.

I'm looking for the name, year, and what would it cost in full working order etc?

Many Thanks
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (39.1 KB, 395 views)
Jonwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 02:49 PM   #2
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
Never seen this one before. Sorry

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 05:26 PM   #3
Mark020
"TRF" Member

I had a similar one which I sold for USD 1.500 (in good working condition). Most likely it is a Dennison case with Rolex dial, hands and movement.

Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

Hi thanks for the info.
So would I be right in thinking this is not a true Rolex with only part of it having the Rolex dials etc?
Old 5 June 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Mark020
"TRF" Member

It is a true Rolex but due to tax reasons the assembly took place in the UK on a local made case. It will have been sold by an authorised dealer back those days.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 01:48 AM   #6
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

Hi, thanks again.

Well, I'm hooked on the vintage type Rolex now. Strange as I'm more into my modern things but the above style does it for me!

Budget is tight for my first Rolex watch but I have seen the attached going for GBP 995. Comes with no documentation but looks clean. Crocodile strap is new and non-Rolex.

Any opinions on this? Blowers are also selling a similar design but for just over GBP 2000, however this comes with full documentation and looks stunning!!

Description for the attached is as follows...

ROLEX: Gentleman's 9ct gold Rolex "Classic" manual wind presentation strap watch, circa 1965. Circular 9ct gold three piece case with polished bezel, sculpted down-turned shoulders, and gold Rolex winding crown, in fine used condition. Snap-on caseback with engraved presentation inscription. Original pearlescent white dial with applied gold Arabic numeral hour markers, outer minute dashes, signed Rolex, Precision. Gold alpha hands and centre seconds hand. Nickel-plated manual wind Rolex seventeen jewel lever mechanism in very good working order. Fitted with a brown crocodile strap. Birmingham hallmark for 1965. Box: supplied in our green presentation case, with card sleeve. The original guarantee is not present. Case no. 150501
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dscn19070.jpg (73.0 KB, 163 views)
Old 7 June 2012, 02:47 AM   #7
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

How annoying my last message deleted itself!!

Thanks again for the info.

Well, I'm really taken to the old vintage Rolex watches designed like the above. Unfortunately I only have a budget of around GPB 1000 for my first (please note: first ).

A shop in the UK is selling a vintage Rolex for GPB 995, see attached picture. This is a 9ct in good working order but has NO documentation, hence price I'm guessing.

Anyone have any views on this watch?

My other option is going through Blowers as they have a mint vintage for GPB 2400 with full documentation and recent service. However this is a little over my budget or is it worth spending the extra?!
Old 7 June 2012, 08:17 AM   #8
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

Keep trying to update this but always redirects me when using my mobile :-/
Old 7 June 2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

Ok working now!
The closest I've found is this working 1965 Rolex with no documentation for GBP 995
http://www.theoldwatchshop.com/rolpics/Dscn19070.jpg

Any views on this as I'm very interested in purchasing it?
Old 7 June 2012, 11:13 AM   #10
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
The dial has also been refinished. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 11:38 AM   #11
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
On one hand...yeah that would be a good name for it.

Its not a very common one anymore. Dowling's, 'The Best of Times,' pp201, shows one like it - 'a 9kt gold, Rolex dress, shock resisting with horned lugs, circa 1958.' The dial pictured is pretty close, but not an exact match (the refinish job?). Sorry, no case number/model was given that I could find. Hope that helps a little.
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 01:06 PM   #12
JohnBoy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - a few!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy View Post

Its not a very common one anymore. Dowling's, 'The Best of Times,' pp201, shows one like it - 'a 9kt gold, Rolex dress, shock resisting with horned lugs, circa 1958.' The dial pictured is pretty close, but not an exact match (the refinish job?). Sorry, no case number/model was given that I could find. Hope that helps a little.
Another reference from the same book - very similar dial, different lugs on the case. '9kt Rolex manual wind dress, made in England by Dennison 10-1/2" Hunter 17 jewel superbalance movement. Model 13874, Circa 1957.' Maybe its a 57/58 Dennison Hornlugged Super Hunter?
JohnBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 01:09 PM   #13
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
I think it's a decent deal, go for it! Not sure what it would take to get it working but for that price it's definitely worth a gamble, even if the dial has been redialed.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 04:54 PM   #14
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

I think purely due to my lack of knowledge I'll stay away from this one. The info has been really useful and appreciated.

The other working Rolex I posted (about a million times lol) has anyone got opionions on this? It's in my price range at 995 and is very similar looking to the first one I posted.

Thanks
Jon
Old 7 June 2012, 05:04 PM   #15
bertberr
"TRF" Member

Well, it's one of Mike Wood's inventory, so at least you know the description will be 100% genuine, piece of mind is worth a fair bit in the vintage market.

I had a 1930's Omega tank watch with a Dennison case, very common I understand with many premium brands during the first half of the 20th C, and not something that would bother me per se.

Or how about a nice 60's Oysterdate (or similar), perhaps a 6694, very elegant and with an Oyster case as well?
bertberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

That's what I was thinking. Would you say the price is about right?

I had a look at your suggestions, not quite what I'm after unfortunately.

Thanks
Old 7 June 2012, 08:53 PM   #17
bertberr
"TRF" Member

I know very little about prices for Rolex dress watches, even less for the Dennison cased examples, but Mike Wood is not known for extortionate prices, so I'd guess as dealer prices go, it's about right. Plus you have the piece of mind that comes with getting a watch from a true vintage guru, who's very well respected on all the forums.
bertberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 03:35 AM   #18
Jonwhite
"TRF" Member

Yes that's very reassuring.

Well I've emailed with another question regarding the size of it and also asked if they'd accept 895. We shall see!

Thanks