The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 30 November 2020, 01:43 AM   #1
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
36mm Breitling v. Rolex Men vs Women

Curious as to why Breitling markets their new Chronomat Automatic 36 as a woman's watch but we all know that the Rolex Datejust 36 has forever been the standard size for gents?

I am really digging the looks of the mint green Chronomat 36 on SS. Haven't yet tried one on so not sure how it wears but it just got me thinking from a marketing perspective why it's considered a ladies watch. Is it because Breitling has always been known for its larger watch sizes?

Thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grab1.jpg (140.5 KB, 257 views)

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 04:48 AM   #2
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
https://www.thewatchhand.com/news/br...-automatic-36/
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 09:17 AM   #3
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
Very good question. I am also a fan of this watch. I have several DJ 36's that I often wear on my 7" wrist. I think they are missing the boat on their marketing.

Hopefully Breitling is realizing now to some extent that bringing the size down a bit and making the dials a little less cluttered attracts an entire new audience.

No reason why they can't branch out in this direction while maintaining their classic line of larger tool watches.
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 05:18 PM   #4
minky
"TRF" Member

36mm is very unisex. I think it's pretty silly to market this size to one gender or the other unless design dictates so (ie thin strap or blinged out; not in this case).
minky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 07:00 PM   #5
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I wear 36mm all the time, it’s a great size. I love the blue version, I’ll try it on next time I go to the boutique.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 09:30 PM   #6
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

36mm is small watch. No offense but its more appropriate for women. I had a dj 36 for a few weeks. Tried to comvice my self of the classic history...yada yada yada. Heres a pic below. Its just way to small
For even a decent sized man.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BD09E6E2-E86E-419B-9EEE-AED40EB16C63.jpeg (32.8 KB, 186 views)
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2020, 10:10 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I like the 36 mm Breitling's but they are too small for me. The 36 mm is a classic size discussion that is brought forth in numerous threads each week is really about personal preference and should be presented as such.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 03:00 AM   #8
Dave455
"TRF" Member

It’s just the way Breitling think at present.

I think 36mm is probably about the perfect size for an everyday watch. I have several in that approximate size, ranging from a CWC G10, through my Dad’s old Smiths and IWC Mk 11, to my own Oyster Perpetual. All get a good amount of wrist time. It depends on the owner though. I agree it’s too small for BigBoy17 above. Depends on what you wear too. Some of the Breitling stuff is outrageously large, and starting to look as out of date as flared trousers.

Personally, I don’t think any three hand “time of day” watch is a Chronomat, any more than a similar watch is a Navitimer. It’s just marketing. I actually think that 36mm Chronomat is a very good looking watch. Unique colour, and understated in a way Rolex used to be, but the latest OP’s are not.

I’d probably be happier if they had introduced an updated “Wings” (always an underrated watch) but they obviously want to emphasise the Chronomat bracelet. Like a lot of Breitlings, there are quite a lot of options. While the “gold and diamonds” option is more of a ladies watch, the stainless and green dial is not. If you like it I’d go for it.

I have a blue Chrono Cockpit, which is generally regarded as a unisex watch, if not a ladies, and it looks great on me. Probably my favourite watch of all time, and I never see anybody else wearing one!

Wings and Chrono Cockpit shown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F1ADFD01-E880-4474-A438-4F55A688B45E.jpeg (94.3 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpeg 4B34103C-87E2-471F-B93E-23CC6CC5D4E6.jpeg (97.0 KB, 158 views)
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 04:45 AM   #9
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Breitlings wear a bit smaller than similar rolex. A 38mm breitling would wear similar to a 36 mm.

Pictured is a 38mm colt. Let me see if i can find some old chronomat pictures which wears notably smaller than the daytona
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FBFD58E4-8F25-45B3-8F7F-7598AA5EF2F6.jpeg (77.2 KB, 153 views)
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2021, 04:57 AM   #10
rolexless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
36mm is small watch. No offense but its more appropriate for women. I had a dj 36 for a few weeks. Tried to comvice my self of the classic history...yada yada yada. Heres a pic below. Its just way to small
For even a decent sized man.
Looks perfectly fine to me, classic size with a classic fit. Not everyone wants a dress watch that fills up their wrist like a rotating bezel diver.
rolexless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2021, 05:27 PM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I like the 36 mm Breitling's but they are too small for me. The 36 mm is a classic size discussion that is brought forth in numerous threads each week is really about personal preference and should be presented as such.
Right-on. For me 36 works because of my skinny little wrist, but it surely can’t be called the classic size for everyone, nor should any size. It’s all 100% down to personal preference.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 06:58 AM   #12
JTL31
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

OMG ... I really shouldn’t have clicked on this link. LOL. Stunning dial.
I just reached out to an AD to check it out!! Too much quarantine time on my hands these days.
JTL31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 09:44 AM   #13
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
What post #4 said.
If it fits, it fits. Regardless of how it's marketed. I wore a 36 DJ, it was nice and comfortable. It just didn't have the presence of a larger watch for me. As long as the person who wears it, likes it - That's really all that matters.
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote