The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 January 2021, 06:45 AM   #1
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
20 Days with the Apple Watch 6

So....... Two things happened recently that I thought just couldn't possibly be true. First I bought a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I had a TJ with two doors when I was much younger in 1997. When the unlimited's came out I vowed never to own one. Well, turns out I love the darn thing. Top down is great and 4X4 in the snow is excellent.

One of the other things I said I'd never buy was an Apple watch. I have been into watches, mostly mechanical like most here for as long as I can remember. Over the Holidays I bought my wife an Apple watch. She loves the thing and uses it for all kinds of info and apps. I figured I would give in and give it a shot.

I wound up buying a gps model just after the new year. Since then I have not taken it off except to charge (usually at night even though that takes away the benefit of sleep tracking.) From opening doors, and other various smart devices in the house like music and lights to being able to check my daughter's blood glucose levels at a glance. This thing packs so much tech in it, I'm pretty blown away. My favorite feature may be the Dick Tracy style walkie talkies. My wife may not agree that it is as fun as I think, but she's wrong here...

Just to be clear, I am definitely somewhat of an Apple fanboy. I have the phone, the air pods, the mac etc. I was just missing this one component. There is something very cool about being able to control songs, volume and more just from your wrist while out walking the dog. So far I have closed my fitness "rings" every day, and I am averaging about 6 miles walked.

Anyone else cheating on their nicer watches with no intentions of going back anytime soon, or just me on this one?

TLDR: I got an Apple Watch, it's cool and does lots of things well. Not sure when I'll go back to the Rolex, Omega etc.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 06:56 AM   #2
bryan13
"TRF" Member

Between the pandemic, wfh, and lifestyle changes, I have sold one of my two watches. I had the Apple Watch before, but only wore it to the gym or to workout. Now I find myself wearing it everyday. My GMT has been “dead” for a week now, and I just don’t find myself wearing it anymore. Hopefully that changes as we transition back, but I haven’t missed my Sub at all.
bryan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 07:13 AM   #3
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Nice write up OP, and I can relate to the convenience and info benefits.

I’ve been wearing my AW5 daily since last March and it’s a love hate.

Hate because I have little desire to wear my other watches and love because it does so much for me daily.

True, it’s not a watch watch in the traditional, but I’m passed that now. It’s now the best ‘tool’ watch you can buy. And it’s a bargain - all things considered.

I can see a yard sale in the future for several of my watches as a result.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 07:15 AM   #4
Johngalt1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco View Post
So....... Two things happened recently that I thought just couldn't possibly be true. First I bought a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. I had a TJ with two doors when I was much younger in 1997. When the unlimited's came out I vowed never to own one. Well, turns out I love the darn thing. Top down is great and 4X4 in the snow is excellent.

One of the other things I said I'd never buy was an Apple watch. I have been into watches, mostly mechanical like most here for as long as I can remember. Over the Holidays I bought my wife an Apple watch. She loves the thing and uses it for all kinds of info and apps. I figured I would give in and give it a shot.

I wound up buying a gps model just after the new year. Since then I have not taken it off except to charge (usually at night even though that takes away the benefit of sleep tracking.) From opening doors, and other various smart devices in the house like music and lights to being able to check my daughter's blood glucose levels at a glance. This thing packs so much tech in it, I'm pretty blown away. My favorite feature may be the Dick Tracy style walkie talkies. My wife may not agree that it is as fun as I think, but she's wrong here...

Just to be clear, I am definitely somewhat of an Apple fanboy. I have the phone, the air pods, the mac etc. I was just missing this one component. There is something very cool about being able to control songs, volume and more just from your wrist while out walking the dog. So far I have closed my fitness "rings" every day, and I am averaging about 6 miles walked.

Anyone else cheating on their nicer watches with no intentions of going back anytime soon, or just me on this one?

TLDR: I got an Apple Watch, it's cool and does lots of things well. Not sure when I'll go back to the Rolex, Omega etc.
wife and I both picked up the watch 6 at launch (our first apple watches) primarily due to peloton and tonal integration. also put Hermes bands on each (hers with the double tour) for additional flexibility.

I tend to wear mine at home/out and about and still wear a mechanical watch to the office when I'm in.
Johngalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 09:52 AM   #5
Time4aRolex
"TRF" Member

I have an IWatch 6 too. Really like it. IPhone integration is seamless.

I can get it charged in the morning while having breakfast and getting a shower. That allows me to wear it at night.

I still enjoy wearing my Rolex watches so during the day, I wear my Rolex on my left hand and the iWatch on my right.

I too am impressed and will continue to have an I Watch.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take
Time4aRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 10:31 AM   #6
JasoninDenver
2024 Pledge Member

AW 5 is my goto training watch for HRM and GOS functions.

It is extremely versatile and accurate for workout metrics and doesn't have any heart rate accuracy issues when doing arm intensive activities such as xc skiing.

Plus, I can take or decline calls on the fly without having to pull my oho e out of a jacket pocket or pack!

116610 LN
DateJust
Pelagos FXD
JasoninDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #7
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Bought one for my son at Christmas and went ahead and bought myself one too. Wore it for a few days and it's ok...but I wasn't blown away. I'm in good shape (if I do say so myself ;) and thought I would like it more to help track my workouts. BUT there is no category for Assault Bike, and I use a ton of kettlebells and have to take it off due to where the bell rests on my wrist at times. To be upfront I think all the move and step counting is BS. Maybe if you are overweight this might help to get you motivated and anything that can help you get in better shape is great, but it's all about the calories that you stick in your mouth to lose weight...

Best feature is the ability to download music and play to bluetooth earphones while running....

overall....meh

It's been sitting on the charger next to my laptop for days now...
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote