The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 22 January 2021, 11:19 AM   #1
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
SS 116500 vs Zenith Chronomaster Sport

For current Daytona owners, what’s the appeal of adding a new Zenith Chronomaster Sport to there collection?
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:26 AM   #2
vh2k
"TRF" Member

The market opportunity is those who want a Daytona but can’t get one. Imagine, if you will, the following situation:

A prospective customer walks into a Tourneau.

T: Hi, how may I help you?

C: I don't suppose you have any stainless steel Rolex Daytonas? (half joking)

T: Black or white dial?

C: Really? Either one you have.

T: Hmmm. OK. I'll be right back.

A few minutes later...

T: Well, we don't have any Daytonas (Rolex barely makes them anymore)... but we have two of these in the back. It's the new Zenith 1/10th of a Second Chronomaster Sport. It's really amazing.

C: Wow, that's stunning. Looks very similar to a Daytona.

T: Yes, well... are you familiar with Zenith? It's a very well respected Swiss brand. They invented the automatic chronograph in the 1960s. (Flips it over and shows off the exhibition case back and movement.). In fact, the movement powering the Rolex Daytona is actually made by Zenith. Most people don't know that. Did you see the guy who jumped to Earth from space - Felix Baumgartner? He was wearing a Zenith in space. These are selling very well... but I have one black and one white one left. Let me put this on your wrist. Wow, that looks terrific on you.

C: Very cool. I didn't know all that. It does pop. Really sharp looking. How much is it?

T: It's only $10,000! Less than the Daytona, and I think more special. The subdials are much cooler. The dial has better legibility. And it even has the date, which the Daytona doesn't.

C: Fantastic. I'll take the white one.

T: Sure thing. Have a seat... and we'll size this perfectly for you.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #3
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I would be interested for opposite dial color....or to cash out the Daytona and still have a white chrono and nearly $20K to enjoy.
Old 22 January 2021, 11:33 AM   #4
holdingon
"TRF" Member

no need to add fillers...its a reminder you cannot get a Rolex Daytona. If you want something to hold you over get a Tudor at least it keeps its value.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:56 AM   #5
geoffreyis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I like the walk through vh2k.
geoffreyis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 02:56 PM   #6
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
The market opportunity is those who want a Daytona but can’t get one. Imagine, if you will, the following situation:

A few minutes later...

T: Well, we don't have any Daytonas (Rolex barely makes them anymore)... but we have two of these in the back. It's the new Zenith 1/10th of a Second Chronomaster Sport. It's really amazing.

T: Yes, well... are you familiar with Zenith? It's a very well respected Swiss brand. They invented the automatic chronograph in the 1960s. (Flips it over and shows off the exhibition case back and movement.). In fact, the movement powering the Rolex Daytona is actually made by Zenith. Most people don't know that. Did you see the guy who jumped to Earth from space - Felix Baumgartner? He was wearing a Zenith in space. These are selling very well... but I have one black and one white one left. Let me put this on your wrist. Wow, that looks terrific on you.

C: Very cool. I didn't know all that. It does pop. Really sharp looking. How much is it?

T: It's only $10,000! Less than the Daytona, and I think more special. The subdials are much cooler. The dial has better legibility. And it even has the date, which the Daytona doesn't.

Things that do not actually happen for $1000, Alex.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:06 PM   #7
peterpl
Banned

The Zenith looks superb!

This is a Rolex forum. Too many Rolex fanboys and yes I am one. But seriously no one can deny that the Zenith does look very good.

I've always wanted a Chrono Rolex but I always need a date. That is the single complication I cant live without. This might be it.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:15 PM   #8
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

I know it may come as a shock to some but not all of us want a Daytona.

I would have already texted my AD for the Zenith if it did not have a date window. I do really like the design though..
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 03:18 PM   #9
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Things that do not actually happen for $1000, Alex.
Believe me, with 40 points of margin with which to work, the large multi-brand ADs will have no problem selling the virtues of this model. It makes a good first impression — like the Omega Seamaster Diver 300M.
Old 22 January 2021, 03:41 PM   #10
Seaswirl
"TRF" Member

Credit to Zenith. They wanted to tap into the Daytona market and didn’t try to hide it with this release.
Seaswirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 05:35 PM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

A Daytona alternative with serious street cred. Plus it offers some things that the Daytona does not - date, larger size, and cool 1/10th chrono. Oh, and availability (probably).
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 06:36 PM   #12
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:

A few minutes later...

In what universe does somebody coming into an AD asking about a Daytona not know exactly what he wants? It's either a status item for that person or he is a watch guy and he knows exactly why he wants a Daytona. Either way he's not walking out with this. Sure if we are talking about a guy walking in asking for a Rolex, just any Rolex, this is possible saying how "Rolex is hard to get now, but this is a watch made by those who made movement for the most popular Rolex", etc. Maybe. But a guy walking in for a Daytona getting this instead? No way. I'll believe that being a point they make to push it, and that it works, just not in this exact context.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 06:44 PM   #13
fooey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few now!
Quote:

A few minutes later...

very good

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
fooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 06:52 PM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

To answer OP question?

There is no appeal in acquiring the Zenith unless they like the Zenith in a vacuum and have no correlation to the Daytona they already own.

As for the sales scenario..

The second this comment is made..

"Yes, well... are you familiar with Zenith?"

It's completely over. The person will either say NOPE. Daytona please. Or Don't they make TV's?

Now I could see maybe somebody going off and googling it and seeing that they sell for 40% off retail and either see it as disgusting because it loses that much value or buy it online on whim @ the discount.

Maybe 1 out of 100 somebody might actually buy the Zenith impulsively in lieu of a Daytona...but I think even that's pushing it.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 07:24 PM   #15
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
The Zenith is larger and have a date. Two things, at least some people has wished for the Daytona. It has the El Primero movement found in the 16520. So why isn’t it a Daytona killer? Because it is not a Daytona. At this point there is no way to separate Daytona from hype.

Edit: I actually prefer the Zenith to the Daytona.
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 07:56 PM   #16
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Zenith is 5 years too late with this watch.
A pity, it looks nice, but I can not get over the fact it is too much a copy of what Rolex introduced in 2016.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 08:14 PM   #17
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
A Daytona alternative with serious street cred. Plus it offers some things that the Daytona does not - date, larger size, and cool 1/10th chrono. Oh, and availability (probably).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 09:01 PM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Now that I have a Monaco and the BLRO is ordered for god knows when, the El Primo is the next on my list, which is logical if you consider the horological significance and history of the Monaco and the El Primo.

The 2021 Chronomaster Sport looks like a dead cert for my collection. The overall asthenic is appealing, the Sub dials are likely to be easier to read than a Daytona, based on past acquaintance (although I haven't seen the 2021 model in the metal yet) and a date function is included. It retains the classic tricolour overlapping sub dial array. It doesn't get much cooler.

If one wants a Daytona, nothing else will do. I love the Rolex brand and many of it's watches. To disparage the innovation on which the Daytona is based, and a maker of Rolex movements past with a longer history than Rolex, just because it doesn't have Rolex written on it, is something it would never occur to me to do.

Maybe I don't love Rolex enough? One has to wonder if anything as faddish as a Daytona has become can possibly last. Maybe it can. The El Primo certainly has. But the Zenith was never a fashion fad, just a really good watch with an enviable history.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 09:15 PM   #19
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

The movement is stunning and a classic. Case size looks perfect. I really dislike the touching subdials and the date window, although you can imagine the meeting where someone says 'it can be sold as Daytona but with a date'!!
Old 22 January 2021, 10:48 PM   #20
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I own two SS Daytona-C's and have always liked Zenith but this new release does not work for me. Some other new release Zenith's do but not this one.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2021, 11:20 PM   #21
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
To answer OP question?

There is no appeal in acquiring the Zenith unless they like the Zenith in a vacuum and have no correlation to the Daytona they already own.

As for the sales scenario..

The second this comment is made..

"Yes, well... are you familiar with Zenith?"

It's completely over. The person will either say NOPE. Daytona please. Or Don't they make TV's?

Now I could see maybe somebody going off and googling it and seeing that they sell for 40% off retail and either see it as disgusting because it loses that much value or buy it online on whim @ the discount.

Maybe 1 out of 100 somebody might actually buy the Zenith impulsively in lieu of a Daytona...but I think even that's pushing it.
Thoughtful reply... but the fact that Zenith (and dozens of other Swiss brands) are relatively unknown, doesn’t stop stores from showing and selling them.

The cases are full of unknown brands — brands which are barely familiar to even most watch people: Moser, Chopard, JLC, IWC, Arnold, Baume, Breguet, Glashutte, and I could go on and on. Yet, watches are tried on, customers like them, and buy them.

At least, Zenith has an interesting Daytona sub-plot in its history... that ties them to Rolex in the sales narrative. And the launch clearly achieved its desired goal: position as a top Rolex Daytona alternative one should consider.

BTW, if 1 out of 100 Daytona prospects actually bought the Zenith... that would be a sales success beyond anyone’s wildest dreams.
Old 22 January 2021, 11:35 PM   #22
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
Were this released in 2013 I probably would have loved it.

Now however I really like a smaller and thinner watch.
The 13.6mm is just a tad bit much.

If I had a Daytona and this right in front of me ready to go at retail, I would take the Daytona. Hype aside, the multicolored sub dials, while completely traditional for Zenith, are not to my taste.

However it is a nice watch! Kudos to Zenith.

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:56 AM   #23
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
no need to add fillers...its a reminder you cannot get a Rolex Daytona. If you want something to hold you over get a Tudor at least it keeps its value.
I have a Daytona. And I would still get this. It might even look better than my Daytona. Hell given a choice, I might opt for this one. How do you explain that?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 12:59 AM   #24
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Now that I have a Monaco and the BLRO is ordered for god knows when, the El Primo is the next on my list, which is logical if you consider the horological significance and history of the Monaco and the El Primo.

The 2021 Chronomaster Sport looks like a dead cert for my collection. The overall asthenic is appealing, the Sub dials are likely to be easier to read than a Daytona, based on past acquaintance (although I haven't seen the 2021 model in the metal yet) and a date function is included. It retains the classic tricolour overlapping sub dial array. It doesn't get much cooler.

If one wants a Daytona, nothing else will do. I love the Rolex brand and many of it's watches. To disparage the innovation on which the Daytona is based, and a maker of Rolex movements past with a longer history than Rolex, just because it doesn't have Rolex written on it, is something it would never occur to me to do.

Maybe I don't love Rolex enough? One has to wonder if anything as faddish as a Daytona has become can possibly last. Maybe it can. The El Primo certainly has. But the Zenith was never a fashion fad, just a really good watch with an enviable history.
Well put
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 01:01 AM   #25
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

I'm not a fan of wanting something, not being able to get it right away, and settling for something else (within reason of course).

If I really wanted a Daytona and bought the Zenith, every time I looked at the watch I would immediately think "Man, I wish you were a Daytona)

That aside, if I had both watches in my hand I would go to the Daytona..no date, and don't like the star on the second hand and another one on the dial
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 01:02 AM   #26
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

This!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 23 January 2021, 01:11 AM   #27
salnuaimi
"TRF" Member

salnuaimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2021, 01:16 AM   #28
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

SS 116500 vs Zenith Chronomaster Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I have a Daytona. And I would still get this. It might even look better than my Daytona. Hell given a choice, I might opt for this one. How do you explain that?

Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
Old 23 January 2021, 02:50 AM   #29
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
The overlap of rolex and zenith buyers is absurdly small. Looks way too much like a Daytona.
Old 23 January 2021, 02:58 AM   #30
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Since buying my first daytona in 1998 with a zenith movement, I've always wanted a zenith but none have appealed to me...until now...I'll def pick one of these up I think it's kinda cool
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote