The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 23 January 2021, 02:59 AM   #31
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Is Cellini the only dealer of Zenith in Manhattan?
raclaims is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 01:19 PM   #32
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post

I believe that’s the case, yea
___

instagram: @brooklynwatchguy
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2021, 07:09 PM   #33
unknown
"TRF" Member

I have the Daytona’s and will buy the white zenith
Would be great if people stop comparing these
They are different watches in every possible way.

The movement is 10000000% different
The case is totally different and 1 mm larger
The date function
The slightly overlapping subdials
The coloured subdials
The pushers

The only think that looks similar is the colour and form of the bezel
Than again the numbers and text on the bezel are different

Sad to read this over and over again that’s it’s made for those that can’t get the Daytona
I hoped this forum was better informed

On the other hand.... not very much surprised cause it’s the same bullshit as those that keep saying a Tudor is for those that can’t afford a Rolex ...
Old 26 January 2021, 01:02 AM   #34
Talbel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

The date function
The coloured subdials
The pushers

Sad to read this over and over again that’s it’s made for those that can’t get the Daytona

On the other hand.... not very much surprised cause it’s the same bullshit as those that keep saying a Tudor is for those that can’t afford a Rolex ...
Well said. As I stated on another thread, there is a lot of Zenith DNA in this watch and I would argue the overall quality is better. Of course this is my opinion. It certainly has a better movement and personally for me, a better size. I passed on a Daytona twice, but immediately bought this when I saw it. Should be here in two weeks and I haven't been this excited about a new watch in a long time. I get that we are on a Rolex form, but this is a high quality watch and I really don't see it as a copy/homage to anything. Zenith has a well earned place in high end horology.
Talbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:13 AM   #35
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalmz View Post
I believe that’s the case, yea
I recall seeing Zenith at Tourneau Bryant Park, as well.
vh2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 01:54 AM   #36
RolexBHR
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO
Well at least there is one thing going for Zenith in this release, is that people are certainly talking and getting to know more about Zenith.
RolexBHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:29 AM   #37
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
I would be interested for opposite dial color....
yep

I currently own a Daytona (and an El Primero) and 100% will be getting this Zenith as long as they're readily available and I dont have to play any stupid games with the AD.
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2021, 11:31 AM   #38
kumar75203
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charger_vital View Post
I have a Daytona. And I would still get this. It might even look better than my Daytona. Hell given a choice, I might opt for this one. How do you explain that?
you're not insecure
kumar75203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 11:35 AM   #39
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

I like the look of this new El Primero. Plenty of Zenith DNA in it...I particularly am drawn to the colored subdials and beautiful, hi-beat movement. All in a sportier (to my eyes) package than usual.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 12:48 PM   #40
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The date function
The coloured subdials
The pushers

You wrote this out very nicely. I agree.

These watches are similar. But different. It’s a matter of perspective on which you see. Same way a speedmaster and a Daytona are also similar but different. And a 116500 and 116520 are similar but different. Some folks find so much similarity that they choose one. Some folks appreciate the differences and enjoy both.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 10:34 PM   #41
scottwmitch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The date function
The coloured subdials
The pushers

Couldn't have said it better myself.
scottwmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 11:25 PM   #42
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The date function
The coloured subdials
The pushers

amen
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 12:02 AM   #43
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Those design decisions didn’t happen in a vacuum - they’re deliberate.

Those watches were made to look very much like a Daytona.

Those who accept that, and still buy will probably have happier ownership experiences, than those who don’t want to acknowledge, and will wake up to realize once the honeymoons over.

No wrong or right here, saying it like I see it.
Old 28 January 2021, 01:26 PM   #44
ralpie

I got the black, it's really nice looking. I was debating black or white, and the white sold out- then I ordered black and a little while later, that was sold out too. Ordered on Monday and received today (Wednesday)- pretty great service.

I'm sure they'll make and sell a ton of these. Some companies need to sell watches and can't afford to play the hype game-lest they be defunded by their corporate overlords...

FWIW it definitely looks like a Daytona- except for a few important wins. The Daytona movement is less cool to me; the Zenith takes advantage of the 36,600 VPH by making the chrono operate at 1/10/sec intervals. I also love the dial matched datewheel, the multicolored chrono subdials, and the sapphire caseback. Also the fact that it is not a Rolex will be attractive to some (myself included).

The Daytona wins on size (1.5MM smaller), screw down pushers, probably real world water resistance and the fact that it is a Rolex will be attractive to some.

In the end, whichever watch you pick and love is a win. I hope Zenith does not limit these, as they are really cool and I would love if Zenith was more appreciated, they are an awesome company!

When I take a few pics, I'll try to share them here for anyone interested or maybe repost this with more details as a review.
ralpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 01:54 PM   #45
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralpie View Post
I got the black, it's really nice looking. I was debating black or white, and the white sold out- then I ordered black and a little while later, that was sold out too. Ordered on Monday and received today (Wednesday)- pretty great service.

I'm sure they'll make and sell a ton of these. Some companies need to sell watches and can't afford to play the hype game-lest they be defunded by their corporate overlords...

FWIW it definitely looks like a Daytona- except for a few important wins. The Daytona movement is less cool to me; the Zenith takes advantage of the 36,600 VPH by making the chrono operate at 1/10/sec intervals. I also love the dial matched datewheel, the multicolored chrono subdials, and the sapphire caseback. Also the fact that it is not a Rolex will be attractive to some (myself included).

The Daytona wins on size (1.5MM smaller), screw down pushers, probably real world water resistance and the fact that it is a Rolex will be attractive to some.

In the end, whichever watch you pick and love is a win. I hope Zenith does not limit these, as they are really cool and I would love if Zenith was more appreciated, they are an awesome company!

When I take a few pics, I'll try to share them here for anyone interested or maybe repost this with more details as a review.

Nice! What about some pictures? What is the length (Lug to Lug size, L2L)? Read it is 46.2 mm which seems short based on pictures besides the Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2021, 05:41 PM   #46
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

It never even occurred to me that this would be a Daytona homage. When I first saw it I thought it was an obvious Stührling rip-off. Shameful, really.

I seriously don’t see it as an homage to anything. I love it. I’ve had two Daytonas and sold them both, just felt too small for my taste. Great watches though. This Zenith might be perfect for me, I’ll try it on as soon as I get the chance. Well done, Zenith!
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 12:08 AM   #47
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
The market opportunity is those who want a Daytona but can’t get one. Imagine, if you will, the following situation:

A prospective customer walks into a Tourneau.

T: Hi, how may I help you?

C: I don't suppose you have any stainless steel Rolex Daytonas? (half joking)

T: Black or white dial?

C: Really? Either one you have.

T: Hmmm. OK. I'll be right back.

A few minutes later...

T: Well, we don't have any Daytonas (Rolex barely makes them anymore)... but we have two of these in the back. It's the new Zenith 1/10th of a Second Chronomaster Sport. It's really amazing.

C: Wow, that's stunning. Looks very similar to a Daytona.

T: Yes, well... are you familiar with Zenith? It's a very well respected Swiss brand. They invented the automatic chronograph in the 1960s. (Flips it over and shows off the exhibition case back and movement.). In fact, the movement powering the Rolex Daytona is actually made by Zenith. Most people don't know that. Did you see the guy who jumped to Earth from space - Felix Baumgartner? He was wearing a Zenith in space. These are selling very well... but I have one black and one white one left. Let me put this on your wrist. Wow, that looks terrific on you.

C: Very cool. I didn't know all that. It does pop. Really sharp looking. How much is it?

T: It's only $10,000! Less than the Daytona, and I think more special. The subdials are much cooler. The dial has better legibility. And it even has the date, which the Daytona doesn't.

C: Fantastic. I'll take the white one.

T: Sure thing. Have a seat... and we'll size this perfectly for you.
That's very cute, but the OP did ask what is the appeal of the Zenith to current Daytona owners.

The new Zenith does not appeal to me in any way. Neither does the Daytona, but I'd take the Daytona over the Zenith any day of the week.

I do like the previous El Primero very much (at 38mm) with the exception of the date placement.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 01:08 AM   #48
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
That's very cute, but the OP did ask what is the appeal of the Zenith to current Daytona owners.

The new Zenith does not appeal to me in any way. Neither does the Daytona, but I'd take the Daytona over the Zenith any day of the week.

I do like the previous El Primero very much (at 38mm) with the exception of the date placement.
Fair point... but variety is the spice of life, my friend.

Plenty of "collectors" who have a few Rolex and Omega (and maybe JLC, VC, Breitling, or whatever, etc.) AND they've always wanted to have a Zenith but haven't gotten around to it. This may tick all the boxes for them.

But, clearly, the larger market for the Zenith are people who love chronographs, don't have a Daytona, and see an opportunity to add a phenomenal reference (that is arguably better than a Daytona) to their collection with a hassle-free buying experience (like the good ol' days).

Of course, many collectors would choose a Daytona over this -- IF THEY HAD THE CHOICE. But, they don't. They can't get the Daytona... and they feel they NEVER will. So, it's a false choice. It's this or nothing. Plenty of people will choose and love this.
Old 29 January 2021, 01:32 AM   #49
ralpie

SS 116500 vs Zenith Chronomaster Sport

Quote:

After putting the watch on this morning, it looks a lot less like a Daytona on the wrist than I initially thought. It actually reminds me more of my old Striking 10th.

I still can't decide if I want to keep it, so I have not sized the bracelet- they offer bracelet sizing on their site- heads up to any prospective buyers out there...wish I went for that so that I could really try it on without voiding my returnability. Anyway here are some photos for y'all.

Old 29 January 2021, 01:33 AM   #50
calatravato
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5711/1a-011
I am a new Daytona owner after having wanted one for 20 years. I love the watch-116519LN, the WG oysterflex. Because I don’t own the steel Daytona, this Zenith might fit in nicely.
Old 29 January 2021, 02:17 AM   #51
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyis View Post
For current Daytona owners, what’s the appeal of adding a new Zenith Chronomaster Sport to there collection?
well as a former daytona owner i can say i want this zenith pretty bad. it was a brand that i always liked but was just one brand too many for me, along with other great ones like breguet. but this has just shot up to 1st or 2nd on my list along with an overseas.

Quote:
The market opportunity is those who want a Daytona but can’t get one. Imagine, if you will, the following situation:

A prospective customer walks into a Tourneau.

T: Hi, how may I help you?

C: I don't suppose you have any stainless steel Rolex Daytonas? (half joking)

T: Black or white dial?

C: Really? Either one you have.

T: Hmmm. OK. I'll be right back.

A few minutes later...

T: Well, we don't have any Daytonas (Rolex barely makes them anymore)... but we have two of these in the back. It's the new Zenith 1/10th of a Second Chronomaster Sport. It's really amazing.

C: Wow, that's stunning. Looks very similar to a Daytona.

T: Yes, well... are you familiar with Zenith? It's a very well respected Swiss brand. They invented the automatic chronograph in the 1960s. (Flips it over and shows off the exhibition case back and movement.). In fact, the movement powering the Rolex Daytona is actually made by Zenith. Most people don't know that. Did you see the guy who jumped to Earth from space - Felix Baumgartner? He was wearing a Zenith in space. These are selling very well... but I have one black and one white one left. Let me put this on your wrist. Wow, that looks terrific on you.

C: Very cool. I didn't know all that. It does pop. Really sharp looking. How much is it?

T: It's only $10,000! Less than the Daytona, and I think more special. The subdials are much cooler. The dial has better legibility. And it even has the date, which the Daytona doesn't.

C: Fantastic. I'll take the white one.

T: Sure thing. Have a seat... and we'll size this perfectly for you.
i love this !!!
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 02:17 AM   #52
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
After putting the watch on this morning, it looks a lot less like a Daytona on the wrist than I initially thought. It actually reminds me more of my old Striking 10th.

I still can't decide if I want to keep it, so I have not sized the bracelet- they offer bracelet sizing on their site- heads up to any prospective buyers out there...wish I went for that so that I could really try it on without voiding my returnability. Anyway here are some photos for y'all.

you got great taste my friend
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 02:34 AM   #53
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This post and these photos are going to be responsible for selling quite a few black dial Zeniths. The black is a stunner!
Old 29 January 2021, 06:48 AM   #54
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

What's the hesitation? Please share
Old 29 January 2021, 09:05 AM   #55
ralpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
you got great taste my friend
Quote:
This post and these photos are going to be responsible for selling quite a few black dial Zeniths. The black is a stunner!

Thanks, it really is quite nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
What's the hesitation? Please share

Embarrassing honesty time- I end up not keeping things for more than 2 years, so I like getting a good deal on Zenith so that I lose less when I sell. These are hard to get at the moment, so no deal. I had to push myself to pull the trigger on it.

That's pretty much it- the tolerances are tight unlike some of the lazy photoshop (I think) press images.

I'm leaning toward keeping it now FYI- but I'm sure I'll question my decision over and over before I decide!
Old 29 January 2021, 09:15 AM   #56
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
SS 116500 vs Zenith Chronomaster Sport

Quote:
Thanks, it really is quite nice!

Embarrassing honesty time- I end up not keeping things for more than 2 years, so I like getting a good deal on Zenith so that I lose less when I sell. These are hard to get at the moment, so no deal. I had to push myself to pull the trigger on it.

That's pretty much it- the tolerances are tight unlike some of the lazy photoshop (I think) press images.

I'm leaning toward keeping it now FYI- but I'm sure I'll question my decision over and over before I decide!

Me too. Totally understandable. I've owned and moved the following. All in all I've only lost about $4K so cheers to Rolex resale value.
Old 29 January 2021, 09:34 AM   #57
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Is it just the photos, or is the detailing a bit ragged? Everything just seems crisper, more finely sculpted, on the GS...
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2021, 11:48 PM   #58
ralpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Is it just the photos, or is the detailing a bit ragged? Everything just seems crisper, more finely sculpted, on the GS...
The Zenith still has plastic everywhere since I can't make up my mind... It's definitely not ragged BUT Grand Seiko has crazy crisp finishing, so I can't say they are equal without unwrapping three Zenith first.
Old 30 January 2021, 01:12 AM   #59
donald83
"TRF" Member

Zenth has stopped taking orders for the Chronomaster Sport already. They simply can't meet the overwhelming demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
donald83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2021, 02:15 AM   #60
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald83 View Post
Zenth has stopped taking orders for the Chronomaster Sport already. They simply can't meet the overwhelming demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's awesome! Good for them!
raclaims is online now   Reply With Quote