The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 20 June 2012, 01:35 AM   #1
The Archer

Watch: G-Shock!
The Invicta 8928- After 6 months

A while back, I was looking for a decent, inexpensive automatic, and had pretty much narrowed it down to a Seiko 5 and an Invicta Pro Diver. Honestly, I was leaning towards the Seiko due to Invicta's less than stellar reputation. Fast forward a week, and I was in a JC Penny, looking at watches... They had Seikos alright, but not the 5 I was looking for... Stumped, I went to leave the store, when I passed the Invicta display. The Invicta that was my original alternative to the 5, the 8926 (same exact model Drockadam has) was not in stock...

Then I saw the 8928. It's a homage to the ref. 16613 Submariner, the one with the blue dial... I'd lusted after that Sub for a while, and I thought I could get a nice beater while seeing if I liked the Sub style on my wrist. So it went home with me.

What I immediately liked was the dial. I wouldn't quite call it the same shade of blue as the 16613, it's more of a deep purple, which is different. Several features of this watch made it stand out above other Sub homages in its price range, such as the solid link bracelet (albeit hollow end links), 200m water resistance, a reliable Miyota 8215 movement.

It features an exhibition caseback, which for a dive watch is a bit unusual. The Miyota isn't going to win any beauty contests, but I think it's nice to see how an automatic works. It has a 45 hour power reserve, which is adequate enough for me, and when I bought it it was a steady 15 seconds fast per day.
Six months later, it's 8 seconds fast, which for a non-COSC watch in this price range I find more than acceptable.

This watch doesn't just take its styling cues from the 16613 Bluesy. The bezel (a 120 click unidirectional) is scalloped, much like Omega's Seamaster Pro. The markings on said bezel are almost identical to the SMP. The Invicta logo is present on the seconds hand, and vaguely resembles a Breitling in this respect. The clasp, on the other hand, is more of a TAG Heuer inspired part.

The bracelet is nice, brushed stainless outer links with yellow gold plated center links. It feels solid due to its solid center links, yet a bit rattly due to its hollow end links. While the steel is brushed, the sides of the links are polished to an excessive degree- I've blinded myself looking at the side of the bracelet more than once in bright sunlight. The clasp is pretty basic. The blades of said clasp are potato chip thin, but I guess it holds true to the older Subs. The clasp is signed with the Invicta logo, and on the underside of the bracelet, every link is stamped with "Invicta". I'm not really a fan of this, but I'm the only one who's going to see it anyways.

The case, like the bracelet, is brushed steel on top, on the lugs, yet polished on the sides. It has the characteristic engraved "Invicta" on the left side of the case, again, not a big fan. Caseback, as said before, is of the exhibition type and is a screw-down back.

The crown is plated in yellow gold, much like the 16613, and is quite nice. It's a screw-down crown signed with the Invicta logo. Winding is smooth, albeit a tad noisy...

Which brings me back to the movement. Yes, it's ugly as sin, sure, it doesn't hack, but the 21 jewel Miyota 8215, like Rolex's revered Cal. 3135, is a rock solid workhorse. It hasn't given a hiccup of trouble since I bought it.

A note on the bracelet. A few months ago, I was playing with my dog, slipped and fell, and the bracelet is no longer completely flush with the case. All my fault, but it still works.

The lume is in a word, terrible. It has Invicta's "Tritnite" lume, which looks like luminova but lasts nowhere near as long. It'll glow brightly the first five minutes, then it's about 3-4 hours before the dial has gone completely dark.
Needs work.

The crystal is touted as "flame fusion" which Invicta claims is a mineral crystal, coated with sapphire. I'm not too sure, I've put one decent scratch on it already, but it is very hard to see.

Overall, this watch has its faults, but for $150, I picked up a Sub 16613 homage that has a tried and true auto movement, and it feels like a quality timepiece for the price. Pics are below, and thanks for reading!

Not the best quality pics, they were taken with my phone

The Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 01:54 AM   #2
Davey Boy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2006 Submariner LV
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/5306/img0640tt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My Invicta 50mm Master Of The Ocean With My LV.
Davey Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2012, 05:18 AM   #3
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Icon10 16 months in...

Glad to hear your still liking your Invicta after 6 months of owner ship! I'm 16 months in on owning my 8926OB. Still running strong! I seriously do love this watch. Mine doesn't get a whole lotta' time on the bracelet anymore. I wear it quite a bit, with the nato straps. Grey/Black or a Bond most of the time!

Everyone has different opinions on Invicta watches, and that's okay. I personally only like the Pro Diver series, cause it was the first watch that I bought myself. I just hope this thread doesn't turn into a Invicta bashing one.

Here's mine.

Old 28 June 2012, 01:45 AM   #4
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Adam enjoy your Invicta. There are people on here that hate Tag Heuer but it doesn't matter to me. I love my watches & enjoy wearing them. Keep saving & you'll one day get that 16610. I'm socking away the cash for one also..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2012, 12:44 PM   #5
IIIJFRIII

Some Invictas are really very nice. Alot of really famus people where the hign end Invictas like Sylvester Stallone and I think Arnold to. I mean I always get compliments on my $46 Invicta lol. http://www.shopnbc.com/OFFER/?track=...h-_-family-_-N The black one.
IIIJFRIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Ticking Away
"TRF" Member

Some of their older copies are pretty nice but geez some of their newer offerings are atrocious. That company has slipped from being generally accepted to a joke.
Ticking Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 August 2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Silvio Mosiello
"TRF" Member

Watch: the shoes.
Nice!
Silvio Mosiello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 August 2012, 01:10 PM   #8
cl63531
"TRF" Member

invicta

For the price.you can't beat it. I have an Invicta Lupah w/ a 7750 eta automatic keeps time great. The only thing w/ Invicta is that their watches are getting too big for my wrist size.
cl63531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2014, 04:57 AM   #9
bedex
"TRF" Member

What is better the pro diver invicta 9937 or invicta 8926? I think I want to go with the 9937 as it just seems overall much better quality yet it is much more expensive. Has anyone here owned an Invicta 9937, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they think it was worth the price first hand. Thanks.
bedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2014, 10:51 AM   #10
The Archer

Watch: G-Shock!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bedex View Post
What is better the pro diver invicta 9937 or invicta 8926? I think I want to go with the 9937 as it just seems overall much better quality yet it is much more expensive. Has anyone here owned an Invicta 9937, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they think it was worth the price first hand. Thanks.
Don't own the 9937 but have handled it before. Compared to my 8928 (essentially a two tone 8926) it has a much better bracelet and I believe an Eta 2824 Swiss movement. Whether it's worth the premium is up to you, value is subjective~ If possible try before you buy and get what sings to you

Small update: I still have the 8928 and it continues to run flawlessly :)
The Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 01:45 PM   #11
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
The newer non-Swiss Made Invictas are risky. As a backup 3rd world watch, to be stolen from your hotel room:perfect. Mine died within the first week. Refund.

Try a Steinhart diver or Ginault diver . Now-to backup a 1680- 16610, I have a holed lug 14460M.
Rolex watches are made to last and retain their value-especially the SS sports watches.
Life is too short to settle for a copy.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 08:45 AM   #12
hawg
"TRF" Member

Have owned the coin bezel for 12 years and it runs like a charm..Bluesy as well.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2019, 04:52 AM   #13
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOG DIVER View Post
The newer non-Swiss Made Invictas are risky. As a backup 3rd world watch, to be stolen from your hotel room:perfect. Mine died within the first week. Refund.

Try a Steinhart diver or Ginault diver . Now-to backup a 1680- 16610, I have a holed lug 14460M.
Rolex watches are made to last and retain their value-especially the SS sports watches.
Life is too short to settle for a copy.
Steinharts retain their value also, at a fraction of the cost.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 05:42 AM   #14
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

The Pro-Diver series are attractive. Looks are not performance. The real key is to buy from
Amazon-or another similar larger source with a REAL return privilege.
Even buy a source warranty. You are going to need it eventually.
Old 10 August 2019, 12:24 AM   #15
plepak
"TRF" Member

Owned an 8926OB for about seven years, and it was an incredibly positive experience. Not the nicest watch out there by a mile, but a reliable and tasteful daily companion. Sold it fairly recently, but been considering one of their new 30098 models, blue dial and bezel with two-tone rose gold jubilee. Bit larger than I usually wear at 42mm, but the colors look quite nice.
plepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 09:19 AM   #16
crab2008
"TRF" Member

nice!
crab2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2019, 12:17 PM   #17
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Own a new Steinhart vintage Ocean 39 Explorer. It is a dead ringer
for the gilt dialed 5513 Submariner that Rolex offered in the 1960s.
Domed crystal and drilled lugs.
The movement is the reliably tough ETA 2824-2 Elabore. A little bit
more buys a great deal more.
Old 4 March 2020, 04:14 AM   #18
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Got married in a Lupah in 06

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 02:36 AM   #19
hawg
"TRF" Member

I have the 8926 with coin edge bezel as well as the 8928 with coin edge. Both are 12 years old and running strong. Excellent value and i love the deep purple/blue dial.
hawg is offline   Reply With Quote