The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 23 May 2019, 02:12 AM   #1
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Watch: The next one
First Rolex purchase- Kind of nervous about it...

After learning quite a bit from reading on this forum, speaking to some kind forum members via PM and phone, I've collected a good amount of information on my pending first Rolex purchase. I've decided that my first will be a Datejust as 1) I like them; 2) More "affordable" (relative term) than most other models; 3) Plentifully available.

I've opted to buy from a reseller and have identified several folks with excellent feedback and who have corresponded with me. To prepare for my purchase, I decided to not use out-of-pocket expenses, but rather to sell off musical gear (my other hobby) to fund the purchase. This way, there's zero impact on family funds, bank accounts, etc. and basically, I'm swapping one hobby for another.

So here's where I'm at currently: I've found a Datejust that ticks all the boxes for me. I love the dial, numerals, band, etc. It comes with box, booklet, and hangtag (no other papers) and is priced in the mid $4K range. The seller is local and I can meet in-person to see the watch and close the deal. I've also found on this forum, a checklist of all the questions I should ask (original parts, service history, etc.).

I think, given the above, I've done all the right prep work: Saving funds, not involving any family finances, reading/researching, talking to forum members and sellers, finding a local sale, etc. My nervousness stems from this being my first and largest watch purchase (I know many of you will laugh, as I see forum members buying three at a time from AD's and spending 6 figures. I'm but a mere lowly non-wealthy guy).

Any first-purchase feedback, reflections, suggestions, reassurance, etc. is most appreciated.
skhan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:24 AM   #2
zjd168
"TRF" Member

all I can say is you need to take the 1st step to experience everything with this hobby, and be able to tell good or bad, right or wrong in the future by yourself
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:25 AM   #3
playford
"TRF" Member

Don't do the " its relatively affordable" justification.

Either it, its REALLY what you want or it isn't.

If it isn't keep saving and get what you want.

Other wise you either end up with someone your not that excited about and end up reselling to get what you want!

If its a date just you really want I'd also consider what price you can get one for new with a bit of haggling.
playford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:32 AM   #4
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

I agree with the above. don't settle because of price. I've been through enough watches to know. good luck in any case and congrats if you do close the deal.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:33 AM   #5
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Definitely not settling on price. The Datejust is indeed the one I want. A new one is $6800. The fact that a preowned one is over $2K less sits very well with me.
Old 23 May 2019, 02:35 AM   #6
Benjamin Choi
"TRF" Member

grow a set :D enjoy the journey
Benjamin Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:37 AM   #7
playford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan007 View Post
Definitely not settling on price. The Datejust is indeed the one I want. A new one is $6800. The fact that a preowned one is over $2K less sits very well with me.
This isn't a hot model that is walking out of a case, with cash and ready to buy, 15% I don't think is undo-able. Say around 5800, plus no service for quite a while.

If the first AD says no, go to the next one.

Just a thought, If you are getting a great deal pre-owned and your happy, great!
Old 23 May 2019, 02:40 AM   #8
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I would go pre-owned unless you can get a smoking discount.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #9
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
buy it!!!! and enjoy one of the most beautiful piece of jewlery made for mens.
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 02:41 AM   #10
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
This isn't a hot model that is walking out of a case, with cash and ready to buy, 15% I don't think is undo-able. Say around 5800, plus no service for quite a while.

If the first AD says no, go to the next one.

Just a thought, If you are getting a great deal pre-owned and your happy, great!
Thanks mate, I had no idea one could conceivably get 15% off at an AD. That certainly is noteworthy. The current pre-owned one can be had in the low $4K range, but perhaps saving up a bit more for new at 15% off is wise.
Old 23 May 2019, 02:47 AM   #11
playford
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks mate, I had no idea one could conceivably get 15% off at an AD. That certainly is noteworthy. The current pre-owned one can be had in the low $4K range, but perhaps saving up a bit more for new at 15% off is wise.
Steel sports models walk out the door, steel datejusts don't. AD's have to take both in order to get the good stuff.

Most AD's have a cabinet full that are slow inventory, ready to buy, politely ask for discount and throw them a realistic number. Never mind the fancy showroom, its no different to buying a car.
Old 23 May 2019, 02:54 AM   #12
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playford View Post
Steel sports models walk out the door, steel datejusts don't. AD's have to take both in order to get the good stuff.

Most AD's have a cabinet full that are slow inventory, ready to buy, politely ask for discount and throw them a realistic number. Never mind the fancy showroom, its no different to buying a car.
Thanks- Just called my AD and asked about the SS Datejust and offering a price at 15% off MSRP, and he said "Those days are long gone." So, my local AD has no interest in discounting. I can keep looking/asking elsewhere, however!

The AD also said the new vs. a 10-year old one, would be the movement is newer today- 70 hour power reserve, etc. So I suppose it's not apples-to-apples when comparing an older to a newer. By the way, I'm looking at ref. 116200.
Old 23 May 2019, 03:00 AM   #13
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I would recommend buying new from AD for your first Rolex. I'm sure you'll find the price difference is worth the peace of mind. Specially if you find an AD that's going to discount the Datejust.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:06 AM   #14
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Thanks- Just called my AD and asked about the SS Datejust and offering a price at 15% off MSRP, and he said "Those days are long gone." So, my local AD has no interest in discounting. I can keep looking/asking elsewhere, however!

The AD also said the new vs. a 10-year old one, would be the movement is newer today- 70 hour power reserve, etc. So I suppose it's not apples-to-apples when comparing an older to a newer. By the way, I'm looking at ref. 116200.
Calling them is a lot different than walking in, chatting them up, trying them on, saying you like it then haggling on price... The AD wants to establish a relationship too. And literally having CASH can make a difference as well. Saying no to a stack of hundreds is a lot different than saying no a CC.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:10 AM   #15
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Want advice? RUN far away from this place!! Soon, you'll be boring your family to death on the dinner table, spouting off terms like amplitudes, escapements and rattrapante chronos, while funding your 11th piece and wondered how you got there.

Seriously though, you've done your research, you've responsively lined up your funds and prepped yourself for the purchase. Take a deep breath, and buy the DJ with no remorse! My experience with this hobby has been euphoric, and yours, I'm sure, will not be so different.

captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:14 AM   #16
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Since you are only mentioning price and not the year of this model (I see you have now) it's hard to give the best advice.

I will take a stab at it in another direction since you mentioned this will be your first large watch purchase. I traded hobbies to complete my first large watch purchase, a Tudor BB that was around $3K. At the same time I was offered a BLNR at MSRP but could not wrap my head around wearing a $9K watch (even though the funds were there).

All this being said after about a year of wearing the Tudor BB I found out that I didn't even think about the cost of the watch and it really wasn't that big of a deal. This Tudor is long gone but did serve a purpose to testing my comfort level. If you truly want a Datejust then by all means go for it but if you have other watches in mind and it's only a cost reservation I would go for what you really want and can afford.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:17 AM   #17
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Saying no to a stack of hundreds is a lot different than saying no a CC.
This 100% has worked for me in the past, although recently it is a changed ballgame for most of us.
Old 23 May 2019, 03:17 AM   #18
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Welcome to the forums. Please don’t take this the wrong way, but a $4,000 datejust doesnt sound like a great buy. It must be quite a bit older with some miles on it.

I’d recommend saving a bit more and going with something that will have more staying power as you learn more about this hobby.

Good luck and be sure to post the incoming with photos of whatever you decide.

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:21 AM   #19
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you want a DJ 36 I would wait and get the new model just out with the new movement and bracelet. You should be able to obtain a discount except on the blue dial. Much better to me than an older used version if this is a special watch you will wear and keep for years. If you wanted sports, many used models would make more sense given the brutal new Rolex market now.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:22 AM   #20
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
DJ ...buy new from an AD.
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:23 AM   #21
scooter1307
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
First Purchase

I too bought a DJ for my first purchase and did it because it was affordable. After 6 months of not really liking the watch it stopped running and I needed to send it in for service. ($1100) Wore it for another year and never really felt it was the watch! I traded it for my Sub, which I really love. Never settle, I lost 2k settling and looking back would have waited for the piece that I wanted.
scooter1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 03:32 AM   #22
playford
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If those days are gone, so is his sale. Call into some other ad’s
Old 23 May 2019, 04:28 AM   #23
REDiesel
"TRF" Member

Watch: GV 18038 DJ Smurf
Quote:

You need to go in to negotiate. I imagine NoVa has several ADs. A non chain AD is your best bet.

There may be some 116200 left over at ADs. Are you wanting one with an oyster or jubilee bracelet? If jubilee I like the 116200 with hidden clasp better. What color dial?
REDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 04:50 AM   #24
skhan007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDiesel View Post
You need to go in to negotiate. I imagine NoVa has several ADs. A non chain AD is your best bet.

There may be some 116200 left over at ADs. Are you wanting one with an oyster or jubilee bracelet? If jubilee I like the 116200 with hidden clasp better. What color dial?
Thanks- Yes, I'm happy to go in-person and negotiate. I'm after the oyster band, Rhodium dial, Romans, and smooth bezel. I can certainly be flexible on specs, but those would be my top choice:

In simply looking at numbers, I'm currently looking at a used one (Z serial, which puts it at 2006-2007) with exactly the above specs, at roughly $4.5K; maybe less, as I have not met with the seller and made an offer yet. **If there are any words of caution about buying a used one from this time period, feel free to comment**

The new one would be $6800 without any discounting. At 15% off, a new one could be $5800 or so.

If my local AD's don't have what I'm looking for or don't want to negotiate, I'll have to phone up other AD's, which takes the in-person element out. I certainly do not mind investigating and seeing what comes of it.
Old 23 May 2019, 04:54 AM   #25
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
Suggest you get serial number of Datejust you are interested in and compare it to a list of ready available Rolex serial numbers published on the internet. With this information you can determine when the watch was made and see if the price is a good price. For example, a seven year datejust would be close to needing Rolex service that would cost $800+ depending on service estimate, plus shipping and insurance.

It would be good if the seller had the watch Rolex certified as being 100% Rolex — and not having after market parts.

Buying new from a Rolex AD would give you peace of mind knowing that the Rolex Datejust is genuine and warrantied for five years. Also, buying from an AD would give you service that you would not get buying second hand.

Initially, buying a second hand Rolex will save you money but the expense may come after you’ve worn the watch for six months and notice that the watch is not keeping time or staying charged long enough when worn infrequently.

It’s your decision and you have done the right thing in asking advice from Rolex enthusiasts. Good luck with whatever way you go in obtaining your first Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 04:59 AM   #26
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

A Z Serial of 2006-2007 would be close to if not needing a service already. While some say they haven't serviced in 30 years you still need to take that into consideration when looking at purchase price. If you figure $4,500 for the watch plus maybe $800 for service (this is a guess), you are already at $5300. Even putting in the extra $1500 for brand new at this point would be my choice. You get the added bonus of making a day out of it and getting the "AD" experience for your first purchase too.
Old 23 May 2019, 05:08 AM   #27
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if I can help with specifics on your purchase as those are details that must be handled in person. Finding a trustworthy seller, buying what your heart truly desires, and being responsible with your personal finances are the only pieces of wisdom I can offer.

Buying a Rolex watch isn't always a rational decision. Most people would think spending more than $250 on a wristwatch is silly. Emotion has to play into it. If you stay true to the three points a brought up above, allow yourself to enjoy the purchase process and come away with a wristwatch that will be able to last you a lifetime.
Old 23 May 2019, 05:11 AM   #28
Mr Kram
"TRF" Member

or just get a "new" model from a trusted seller. can't imagine a DJ selling for full retail on the grey market.
Mr Kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 05:14 AM   #29
iheartrolexx
Banned

date just is a great option
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2019, 05:17 AM   #30
OTWT
"TRF" Member

Another advantage of purchasing through an AD if you get the price where you want is that you start to establish a relationship which maybe helpful if you get the sickness that many of us here have caught and desire more and more watches.
OTWT is offline   Reply With Quote