The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 October 2019, 12:07 AM   #121
jvb.nc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228206meteorite
no.
Old 24 October 2019, 12:14 AM   #122
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Watch: Monaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
When rolex made the SD43 they should have increased the depth rating along side the larger case !!!! Its a fashion watch pure and simple. Just like the subc. The DS is the only purposely proportioned Rolex dive watch left.
What makes either of those watches a fashion watch?
Old 24 October 2019, 12:21 AM   #123
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagalassos View Post
I think Rolex is preparing a totally new Submariner line and uses SD43 to predict market response for a bigger one.
Right now, they have 40, 43, and 44. Those sizes seem to cover just about everyone. I wear a 114060 almost daily, it’s a great size for me. I also have some bigger watches, a couple 41mm watches and a 42mm Speedmaster. But it’s all in the same neighborhood. I have a 43mm watch I keep meaning to sell, but haven’t gotten around to it yet. So 42mm is basically my limit. I feel like Rolex would benefit from keeping the Submariner at 40mm, and then up selling to the more expensive Seadweller models if people want a bigger watch.
Old 24 October 2019, 12:25 AM   #124
Raza_actual
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
Hate I never used it ! Just my opinion on a Rolex model. Fashion is good sometimes. Ive got a serti sub love it . Some hate what they did to the sub, made a fashion piece out of a tool watch. Just like Rolex super sizing a lot of their models. But making a dive watch case larger without increasing the WR makes no scene to me. Just opinion on a great forum !! No one should get upset just because you own a watch that is criticized.
This is a common refrain. How can the Submariner be a fashion watch when it is literally better and more durable in every way than any Submariner that came before it? It’s better at being a tool watch than any previous Submariner, but because it wears a little bit bigger than the old models it’s a fashion watch?
Old 24 October 2019, 12:48 AM   #125
twowheels
"TRF" Member

The SD is a more specialized than a sub in that its got a helium escape valve. That's meaningless for rec divers but meaningful for saturation divers.

I've got a sub c and its a great watch. I'm also a rec scuba diver bit I haven't worn it on a dive. Like all other modern day divers, I dive with a computer. A dive watch is an unnecessary piece of gear. I did have a sunto computer fail once diving fairly deep offshore from niihau but I was carrying a backup computer, which is a much better piece of extra kit to carry than a dive watch.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 12:59 AM   #126
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Your right again Devildog. I tried on a 16600 and a JC. I have a 7" flat wrist and the JC didn't really swallow my wrist like I thought but I'm not sure about it on me all the time. I do like the idea of no cyclops and thinking the proportions will be perfect going by my Blnr which I love the fit and thinking it will wear a little better than my Subc. I'm going to make an effort to try one on the SD4K first after i recover from two recent purchases.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 04:29 AM   #127
subdateII
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdateII View Post
The professional line has always evolved driven by innovation. Here is my grip with this version:

1. The increase in size from 40mm did not come with any increase in performance. The watch is still rated for 4,000 feet.

2. I don't understand the addition of the two tone version in 2019 for such a technically capable watch.
I'll answer my own with a factual response. On point 2:

Rolex Deepsea Special Number 1 :
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...-ali-rashidian

Rolex Deepsea Special Number 3 :

http://rolexpassionreport.com/5950/t...r-dss-display/
subdateII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 05:21 AM   #128
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ta...-ali-rashidian

Looking this wonderful episode and where you can see the TT Deep Sea Special From 1953 maybe Rolex lost his soul at the beginning? Because the first extreme Rolex DS was TT (STEEL AND GOLD).

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 08:06 AM   #129
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Er..no. If your reason to have 400 hp plus is "bragging rights" perhaps you need to attend a trackday or performance driving course

Its easily possible to use all 400 plus of those horses (and more). You can't say the same about the watch.
True.
One can't access the the extreme depth ratings on these things.
Having said that, I note the DSSD has been brought into the conversation. It's obvious the DSSD(In it's original configuration) was really intended to be a showcase of what Rolex can do in a wearable format. A hero piece as it were.

With regard to higher powered cars.
One can certainly access that power more often(potentially everyday), otherwise what's the point.
But keeping a driver's license is going to be problematic

Certainly 400+ up is nice.
I like it closer to 500 in a naturally aspirated configuration
That way one gains a lot without losing anything of note.
North of 500, one starts to run into the law of diminishing returns overall
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 08:32 AM   #130
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post

We all know what the point is, otherwise we wouldn't be here on TRF (well, most of us).

I fully appreciate why, for example, a 16600 is a much more special watch than a 16610 (I had both) I also appreciate how much more special a 126600 is than a 116610 (I have/have had both). But one is not "better" than the other in any practically usable way.

What I was attempting to convey is that "better" can only be subjective. Objectively, its a moot point and other posters' comments such as "the DS is the only purposely proportioned Rolex dive watch left" are factually flawed.

I guess we can agree to disagree. I quoted another poster, then you quoted me, saying there is no “better”. I don’t think I used the word better, but I also think that it is factually accurate to say that Rolex markets the deepsea as their ultimate dive watch. It has a greater depth rating, can withstand more abuse based on thickness of case and sapphire crystal, and cost more money. Do you somehow disagree with this.
I will never never argue which one and individual should like more, but no doubt Rolex holds the Deepsea at the top of the heap.
Old 24 October 2019, 08:55 AM   #131
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
...deepsea as their ultimate dive watch. It has a greater depth rating, can withstand more abuse based on thickness of case and sapphire crystal, and cost more money.
So Rolex says Ds > Sd > sub...
I can agree with this, since we r not talking about lack of souls (eye roll)

Obviously, which is better for u is subjective and based on preference.

But I find it funny u call the sea dweller “gimmicky” and u even agree with a post that says the sea dweller and subC are “fashion” watches... but somehow the deep sea is not?
Since we r sharing opinions now, I personally feel Jc deep sea is the most “gimmicky” Rolex diver.

And HP mean nothing if the driver doesn’t know how to drive properly.
Old 24 October 2019, 09:17 AM   #132
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

^^they are all gimmicky fashion watches for sure , just felt like Rolex really stretched when they threw red writing in the new SD along with a cyclops. The DSSD was them pushing the limits....the SD43 just seems cobbled together.
And I didn’t make any hp analogies...
Old 24 October 2019, 09:53 AM   #133
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^^they are all gimmicky fashion watches for sure , just felt like Rolex really stretched when they threw red writing in the new SD along with a cyclops. The DSSD was them pushing the limits....the SD43 just seems cobbled together.
And I didn’t make any hp analogies...
U said Range Rover owners like to have the big hp to boost about even tho they don’t use it
I just pointed out that big hp is useless in hands of inept drivers

Hahaha how is the iconic red-lettering used for a 50th anniversary edition considered a gimmick?

Yet, the green letters and the blue/black gradient dial of JC is not??

How convenient

I find the whole James Cameron dive commemoration ridiculous.
https://www.rolex.com/every-rolex-te...lex-watch.html
Now that’s a gimmick

And if u belong to a group that think sea dweller heritage is all about no-cyclops, go read more and type less.

PS if anything, it’s the sd4k that was “cobbled together” imo
Old 24 October 2019, 10:33 AM   #134
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
You will know that Rolex has lost its soul if they ever start cranking out watches solely to meet the fickle demands of the market.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:34 AM   #135
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
There following the trend that bigger is better. I personally don’t like anything bigger than 40mm. I say Rolex lost their mind with the ridiculous price increases on SS sport models over the years. I was thinking. All this hype regarding the Pepsi and Batman doesn’t make sense to me. I love my SS Submariner Date. Owning the Submariner, I’ve come to the conclusion that both the Pepsi and Batman, is basically a Sub with a different color bezel, and second hand.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:44 AM   #136
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
There following the trend that bigger is better. I personally don’t like anything bigger than 40mm. I was thinking. All this hype regarding the Pepsi and Batman doesn’t make sense to me.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 12:18 PM   #137
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
U said Range Rover owners like to have the big hp to boost about even tho they don’t use it
I just pointed out that big hp is useless in hands of inept drivers

Hahaha how is the iconic red-lettering used for a 50th anniversary edition considered a gimmick?

Yet, the green letters and the blue/black gradient dial of JC is not??

How convenient

I find the whole James Cameron dive commemoration ridiculous.
https://www.rolex.com/every-rolex-te...lex-watch.html
Now that’s a gimmick

And if u belong to a group that think sea dweller heritage is all about no-cyclops, go read more and type less.

PS if anything, it’s the sd4k that was “cobbled together” imo
Do you know what a Range Rover is? I was referring to off road capability that suburban soccer moms don’t use. Has nothing to do with horsepower. And I never said HP...someone needs to read more and type less!
And I agree completely that the James Cameron thing is a gimmick. Funny how you consider the SD43 a “commemorative” edition. They have already been making it for 3 years...it’s the regular production Sea Dweller.
Old 24 October 2019, 01:01 PM   #138
The1019
Banned

Making a watch 10% bigger than it needed to be is just never a good idea
A 10% bigger anything is usually to charge 50% more - simple maths to dupe those not in the commercial know
Bigger is better - yes but not for your wallet no certainly for the manufacturer
The1019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 01:33 PM   #139
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Updated movement.
Larger dial
Larger hands
Larger, and more tactile bezel
Cyclops window.
22 mm bracelet for better proportions and comfort.
And that bad ass little red line❗️

I would say there are quite a few enhancements, and eccentricities to the SD43.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 01:46 PM   #140
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roli4life View Post

Updated movement.
Larger dial
Larger hands
Larger, and more tactile bezel
Cyclops window.
22 mm bracelet for better proportions and comfort.
And that bad ass little red line❗️

I would say there are quite a few enhancements, and eccentricities to the SD43.

Isn’t it that the size of the dial of SD50 same as that of DS/Sub?
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2019, 11:14 PM   #141
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Did Rolex lose it's soul with the 43mm Sea Dweller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
Isn’t it that the size of the dial of SD50 same as that of DS/Sub?

Yes. It was increased by a millimeter, and it has larger hands. Not sure compared to the DS.
Old 25 October 2019, 12:02 AM   #142
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
With a size increase I do think Rolex could’ve at least added more depth rating.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 12:54 AM   #143
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdateII View Post
The professional line has always evolved driven by innovation. Here is my grip with this version:

1. The increase in size from 40mm did not come with any increase in performance. The watch is still rated for 4,000 feet.

2. I don't understand the addition of the two tone version in 2019 for such a technically capable watch.
Yes it did....i feel that it was made specifically with the american market as they seem to have larger wrists and a preference for bigger watches....all that aside its still a rolex.....i just never really gelled with mine for some reason
Old 25 October 2019, 12:57 AM   #144
LDN
"TRF" Member

No!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 01:14 AM   #145
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
The SD was once smaller than 43mm? That was terrible. I am so glad we have the choices of differing sizes today.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 02:10 AM   #146
crazycarlitos
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Do you know what a Range Rover is? I was referring to off road capability that suburban soccer moms don’t use. Has nothing to do with horsepower. And I never said HP...someone needs to read more and type less!
And I agree completely that the James Cameron thing is a gimmick. Funny how you consider the SD43 a “commemorative” edition. They have already been making it for 3 years...it’s the regular production Sea Dweller.
Haha u never mentioned Range Rover in a soccer mom / 4x4 capability way until now. Previously, U only mentioned Range Rover after hp analogy was used by others. Don’t back paddle.

And if u deny sd43 as the 50th edition sd, there is nothing else to discuss with u. (It’s not about which year Sd43 was “true” 50th.. that’s another discussion.)

FYI
Platona was the 50th anniversary Daytona... which they still make.
Gold gmt with green dial was the 50th anniversary gmt (still available)
Daydate with green dial was to celebrate 50 years of daydate (still available)
Kermit was the 50th anniversary sub, which they made for about 8(?) years.

Rolex doesn’t make a huge deal out of the 50 years, unlike omega who celebrates every 5 years. But we all know Rolex brings out a new model to mark the occasion.
Old 25 October 2019, 04:01 AM   #147
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Did Rolex lose it's soul with the 43mm Sea Dweller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos View Post
Haha u never mentioned Range Rover in a soccer mom / 4x4 capability way until now. Previously, U only mentioned Range Rover after hp analogy was used by others. Don’t back paddle.

And if u deny sd43 as the 50th edition sd, there is nothing else to discuss with u. (It’s not about which year Sd43 was “true” 50th.. that’s another discussion.)

FYI
Platona was the 50th anniversary Daytona... which they still make.
Gold gmt with green dial was the 50th anniversary gmt (still available)
Daydate with green dial was to celebrate 50 years of daydate (still available)
Kermit was the 50th anniversary sub, which they made for about 8(?) years.

Rolex doesn’t make a huge deal out of the 50 years, unlike omega who celebrates every 5 years. But we all know Rolex brings out a new model to mark the occasion.

Proof: Rolex Literally labeled it ‘’50th anniversary❗️’’ on display at Baselworld 2017.
Old 25 October 2019, 04:14 AM   #148
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Yes. It was increased by a millimeter, and it has larger hands. Not sure compared to the DS.
I believe it is also a millimeter larger than the DSSD dial due to the "Ring lock system" strip around the outside.

Love the dial size and the larger hands of the SD43. It is damn near perfect in every regard.

Love the SD4K but never understood why you make a thicker Submariner and don't increase the diameter proportionally.

SD43 also fixed the two flaws of the SD4K (to me anyway) which were the misaligned end links and the inset (cyclopsless) date window which never looked right to me. If not cyclops the window should be on the right edge of the dial. Now I can't unsee it...
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2019, 04:34 AM   #149
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
I believe it is also a millimeter larger than the DSSD dial due to the "Ring lock system" strip around the outside.

Love the dial size and the larger hands of the SD43. It is damn near perfect in every regard.

Love the SD4K but never understood why you make a thicker Submariner and don't increase the diameter proportionally.

SD43 also fixed the two flaws of the SD4K (to me anyway) which were the misaligned end links and the inset (cyclopsless) date window which never looked right to me. If not cyclops the window should be on the right edge of the dial. Now I can't unsee it...

Agreed.
Due to the placement of the date wheel, The dial would be very unbalanced with the date so close to the center of the dial. Like it or not the cyclops actually makes the date appear closer to the edge where it belongs. So I guess the cyclops has a dual role.
Old 25 October 2019, 05:10 AM   #150
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Agreed.
Due to the placement of the date wheel, The dial would be very unbalanced with the date so close to the center of the dial. Like it or not the cyclops actually makes the date appear closer to the edge where it belongs. So I guess the cyclops has a dual role.
I think it's the other way around. The date wheel is smaller and places the window closer to the center of the dial BECAUSE of the cyclops. So the SD4K date window is placed where a cyclops should be - a cyclops IOU is what I call it. If they put out a watch without a cyclops they should produce a larger date wheel, to push the date outward where it should be located. The inset date window is the perfect placement to accommodate a cyclops
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote