The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 September 2019, 11:32 PM   #121
robalderman
"TRF" Member

The Blue Bronze Tudor has so much personality. As much as any Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2 September 2019, 11:39 PM   #122
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
I don't need to explain to anyone that it's made by Rolex. The defense rests:

Old 3 September 2019, 12:08 AM   #123
ericinexile
"TRF" Member

The Tudor blue Submariner on the previous page is just about the prettiest watch I’ve seen this year. I dig that shade of blue.

For me, I started the watch search when I learned about the BB GMT. The date issue frightened me away to be honest. So I spent 2.5 times as much for essentially the same watch but without a rotating bezel. No regrets. But you have to buy what 1) looks good on your wrist and 2) what you can comfortably afford.

12 years ago I rewarded myself for a promotion by buying a Tutima UTC Chrono. It was a nice looking watch but I had to be very careful setting it so that I could avoid advancing the date between 10pm and 2am. Doing so breaks the date. But accidentally engaging the date function with the crown was easy to do—and a couple of times I did. What a frustrating feature of that particular ETA 7700 movement! At the time I wanted something non- pilot-cliché so I avoided Omega, Breitling and Rolex. That was a mistake that has taken 12 years to remedy.
Old 3 September 2019, 02:14 AM   #124
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
On the topic of movements, ETA is, the largest movement manufacturer in the world. They have base models as well as finely finished. As a number of people point out, ETA being owned by Swatch group makes them an in house brand for models owned by Swatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 3 September 2019, 02:17 AM   #125
Realtor
Banned

if I bought one it would be a compromise because they are too bulky and I don’t like the vintage look
Old 3 September 2019, 02:21 AM   #126
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
On the topic of movements, ETA is, the largest movement manufacturer in the world. They have base models as well as finely finished. As a number of people point out, ETA being owned by Swatch group makes them an in house brand for models owned by Swatch.

It's strange reading over the years posters putting down ETA movements, and the 7750 and so forth. It shows they just don't know any better.
Old 3 September 2019, 02:46 AM   #127
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
I think Tudor fans are actual watch fans. Rolex people are more often than not the same types that buy BMWs when they fall on some money. Rolex is to watches what Patron is to tequila.
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Old 3 September 2019, 02:59 AM   #128
Greedy
"TRF" Member

Poor choice of ambassadors by the brand.
Old 3 September 2019, 03:07 AM   #129
Timenor3c
"TRF" Member

Tudor is like high school style, similar to buying Tiffany for your date in HS.. when you grow up you move on to Rolex/Cartier, etc.

/s,

Sincerely,
Old 3 September 2019, 03:20 AM   #130
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
Love my bb bronze
I just picked up a brand new Tudor, Black Bay Bronze last month and it is fantastic. Its already starting to develop a beautiful patina and the brown dial is mesmerizing. My first Tudor . . . I always stayed away because I didn't particularly like the snowflake hands. Now, I find them very appealing. Go figure.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
Old 3 September 2019, 03:33 AM   #131
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Tudor overpriced? Can you buy an Oris, Omega, or Tag dive watch with in-house mechanical movement for the same price as a Tudor Black Bay?
That's a rather strange sole measurement... you can buy a Seagull or a Swatch Sistem 51 automatic with in-house automatic movements for under $200. A nice Seiko diver with in-house automatic for far less than these also. A Christopher Ward diver with a rather novel in-house movement, rather than the Tudor super-clone, for far less.
Old 3 September 2019, 03:41 AM   #132
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
Words cannot describe the satisfying feeling of my Tudor Submariner. It’s become my perfect everyday watch.
Your blue 79090 is stunning.
Old 3 September 2019, 03:51 AM   #133
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Wearing one today. My most accurate watch. It runs spot on.
You should try a Casio 158A... super-accurate. Great value. In-house "movement" too! ;)

(Excuse the grime... took the shot just now... obviously. )
Old 3 September 2019, 05:32 AM   #134
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timenor3c View Post
Tudor is like high school style, similar to buying Tiffany for your date in HS.. when you grow up you move on to Rolex/Cartier, etc.

/s,

Sincerely,
Not if you're a tool to begin with. A monkey in a silk suit is still a monkey.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Old 3 September 2019, 05:50 AM   #135
uddind
Banned

Don't really like tudor.. The gmt is too bulky and hate the rivets on bracelet ends. The pelagos is the only one that looks decent. With that sort of money I'll throw in more to get a omega
Old 3 September 2019, 06:10 AM   #136
WatchThinker
"TRF" Member

Tell me if I'm over-reacting. On a style basis, I love the BB GMT and several other Tudor watches. But the stories of mis-aligned wheels on this and other boards has me hitting the pause button ( not that I've found one anyway...). I fully understand that this seems rare and the overall quality reputation is excellent. Am I reading too much into it?
Old 3 September 2019, 06:32 AM   #137
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxbtousa View Post
Wish there was a Rolex equivalent with this color or if this was still available.

Need a blue watch in my life.

Well didn't take long.. bought a Pelagos today Black .. cant wait to get a day in and see how it feel to justify it vs rolex, ha.
Old 3 September 2019, 07:42 AM   #138
steeevvvooo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Words cannot describe the satisfying feeling of my Tudor Submariner. It’s become my perfect everyday watch.
That is sensational!! Got me looking on chrono24 right now...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 3 September 2019, 08:07 AM   #139
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-Cog-Neeto View Post
If you are buying Rolex then you have yet to attain the best in terms of luxury

Are you concerned about what others think if they see you wearing a tudor or is the physiological barrier self imposed?
Neither!
A watch over $1000 is not a necessity and starts moving into the luxury dept.!
If you are buying luxury you want the best a company can offer! (I’m not talking Patek or Lange as they are not part of rolex)!
Old 3 September 2019, 08:41 AM   #140
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I’m looking forward to the Tudor news on September 4th 2019 although not getting my hopes up in case it’s some kind of rugby limited edition Black Bay.
Old 3 September 2019, 11:24 AM   #141
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
I’m looking forward to the Tudor news on September 4th 2019 although not getting my hopes up in case it’s some kind of rugby limited edition Black Bay.

Sadly, it is... a blacked out black Bay chrono. There’s a thread on it already.

AOW
Old 8 September 2019, 12:26 AM   #142
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jona View Post
I don't need to explain to anyone that it's made by Rolex. The defense rests:

I think you just did! And hey, why so defensive?

Ps. Nice GMT, by the way.
Old 8 September 2019, 12:35 AM   #143
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
Vintage Tudors offer a Rolex Oyster case w/ more options [dial colors, bezels, sizes] than found on Rolex of the same era.

Modern Tudors have stepped out on their own in terms of design and branding, utilizing vintage styling, new in house movements, and updated modern construction.

I've owned and enjoyed both vintage and new releases. Having owned Patek, Rolex, as well as many of other brands, including the ones listed by the OP, I find Tudor to be the best value in terms of design, build quality, and features. Tudor is a great alternative if status is not the primary motivation for what is worn on your wrist.
dP
Well said Dan. I have not owned a Tudor yet, but the Ranger is calling loudly to me.
Old 8 September 2019, 12:39 AM   #144
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post

Not quite true the Chinese firm Tianjin Seagull Watch Group are the largest manufacture of mechanical movements in the world.Yes ETA make 5 grades in most all of there movements, the two top grade are chronometer grade, that can equal the the movements from all the high end mass produced brands.But today those of little knowledge once they hear the world ETA they automatically think cheap movement which is not the case.And yes ETA makes everything in-house which is something even Rolex does not do.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 8 September 2019, 02:14 AM   #145
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Not quite true the Chinese firm Tianjin Seagull Watch Group are the largest manufacture of mechanical movements in the world.Yes ETA make 5 grades in most all of there movements, the two top grade are chronometer grade, that can equal the the movements from all the high end mass produced brands.But today those of little knowledge once they hear the world ETA they automatically think cheap movement which is not the case.And yes ETA makes everything in-house which is something even Rolex does not do.
Well given that a Rolex movement costs something like 10 times an ETA movement, is there something about a Rolex movement that is 10 times better? Five times better? I know they are very good but other than bragging claims to in-house manufacture, what really sets them apart? If anything?
Old 8 September 2019, 02:27 AM   #146
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I liked my Tudor Black Bay black rose. It was a great watch but like all the Tudors I've owned it was a bit large for my wrist. I do admit that it felt better on my wrist than the Sub 114060 but never the less it didn't make the cut.

As far as defending the sub brand. People, wear what you like and get over yourselves!!! I guess I can see someone who can only afford one watch defending their Rolex purchase but I can't imagine anyone who really collects watches putting down the brand. I like the fact that Tudor can take risks that Rolex can't.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 8 September 2019, 02:36 AM   #147
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
Well given that a Rolex movement costs something like 10 times an ETA movement, is there something about a Rolex movement that is 10 times better? Five times better? I know they are very good but other than bragging claims to in-house manufacture, what really sets them apart? If anything?
You mean the Rolex watch might cost more a lot more than the Tudor,but all movements are made basically from the same materials.And in the real world ETA are more total in-house built than Rolex.Lets not forget before Rolex was basically forced to manufacture there own escapement parts,in every Rolex there was a escapement hairspring made by ETA Nivarox Far .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 8 September 2019, 03:10 AM   #148
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
To me its a dull looking cheap pseudo Rolex, I would go with Rolex or Omega
Old 8 September 2019, 03:17 AM   #149
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I'm on the fence on Tudor. There are some models I like.
Old 8 September 2019, 03:28 AM   #150
minute_man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BoctokKomandirskie
Some are a great value. Some are indeed like watered down versions of rolex.
Of their models I buy what I genuinely like, for what they are and for ticking appearance and utility vs cost boxes.
Any other approach especially in comparison with their Rolex "counterparts" is guaranteed to end up in frustration. In other words if Rolex was what I wanted, I'd never settle for a Tudor.
Closed Thread