The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 October 2019, 09:48 AM   #1
JSB544
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oyster Royal
Thoughts on Tudor?

I guess I'mma start off with a quick story (cause that's part of the reason some of us get into this hobby, right?). I've talked before my past interest in watches (fell in love with the Seamaster watching the Pierce Brosnan Bond movies, grandpa passed away and I inherited his Oyster Royal, was impressed it was still ticking semi-good even though it had some wear and tear, fell in love with Rolex, was turning 30 and was finally having my first child via IVF after multiple attempts). I got an Explorer I because I fell in love with that one, and still love it over a year later (it might be my favorite watch ever), knowing I will pass it on to her eventually. After our first child, my wife and I figured that would be it because of certain problems that made it difficult for us to get pregnant. That being said, the other night my wife came in and threw a pregnancy test on my desk and said, "What is this?!?" (In a good way). Turns out we are expecting our second now, which is crazy for us. Anyways, I've decided to purchase another watch to continue the tradition.

So back to the point of the thread, I've decided to branch out and get another brand. I'm seriously considering the new Seamaster, or perhaps the Speedmaster (Sapphire or Acrylic?). I've also decided to give Tudor a chance. For those who own some, what do you think of it? I was thinking about the Black Bay 41, blue dial, but I figure that might be a little close to the Explorer design-wise. I was also thinking about a Black Bay 58 or a Black Bay GMT (the Pepsi one). Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on these (including the Omega's if you own them). Obviously , I'm going to try them on before I buy them, but I was just trying to get general opinions on the quality and stuff.
JSB544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:56 AM   #2
Iloreyix
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060 Sub-C
Unfortunately I do not own one, but I will tell you that the Tudor GMT - probably the pepsi one will be my next watch.
My understanding from this forum is that they are held in the best of regards.
Oh - by the way - Congratulations!!
Iloreyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I have many Rolex watches including a Platona, an AP, and other brands including a Tudor. I like them. Great watches. If one sings to you, buy it.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
I've never owned a speedy or any chrono. I bought a new Omega Seamaster SM300MC and sold it right away. I have and love two Tudors, one a Ranger which is a good tool watch but I'm sure you wouldn't want one as it's too much like the Explorer. My fav is my BB41 blue bezel. I had an inhouse but felt it was too top heavy. Mine now is an eta version which is thinner but still thicker than a 114060, weighs about the same but wears nice with a slightly smaller case and lugs. Never saw a BB58 but that could be a good option as well. Congrats on your new family and happy choosing!!...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:22 AM   #5
Spoonage
2024 Pledge Member

I would strongly consider picking up an acrylic Speedmaster. That said I own a BBN ETA, Tudor Sub, and the wife has a Ranger. All great watches, I rotate my BBN and Sub in as often as my DaytonaC, SubC, BLNR, and Explorer.
Spoonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:32 AM   #6
SeanE
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
I recently traded-in a BB Blue (ETA) on an Explorer 2 (216570.) I can't say I regret trading it to be able to by the Rolex, but I must admit I miss it. I loved that watch. I don't like the in-house nearly as much. It sits too high on the wrist and I prefer the ETA version's dial.

You can't go wrong with a Speedy, either. If you go in that direction, definitely get the hesalite.
SeanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:35 AM   #7
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Plastic Speedy is certainly much more classic, and at this point, timeless. But the Tudor GMT is fantastic, and I don’t think I’ll ever sell mine.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:47 AM   #8
djgallo
Banned

Congrats on your good news!

I don’t have a Tudor GMT but I have a few other Tudors....I like all of them, but my Black Bay Bronze watches are currently top choices.....Brown, Black,Blue962CC302-AA23-47BF-81B1-08AFCAF0B882.jpeg
djgallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:49 AM   #9
faaaaaaaasterrrrr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Another One?
If you’re going to go Tudor (a great choice), I would pick up a Pelagos, a GMT, or a BB58. Happy hunting.
faaaaaaaasterrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Burgman
Banned

Tudor GMT is best....
Burgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:11 AM   #11
Pattymac
Banned

Watch: BLNR
I love my Tudor Pelagos LHD - it probably gets more wrist time than my Daytona or BLNR. Fantastic watch. I will consider Tudor for my purchases in the future. Congrats on your upcoming arrival!!
Pattymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:26 AM   #12
Biginboca
"TRF" Member

Tudor makes a great watch, especially considering the pricing. The Blue Pelagos is my favorite, followed by the black bay with the blue bezel.

If a Tudor sings to you then buy it, I doubt you would regret it at all.
Biginboca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:30 AM   #13
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Pelagos got me into Tudor, but it is Black Bay 58 (BB58) that got me to love Tudor.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:32 AM   #14
tacotaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C - Black
Blackbay 58 tbh is the best
buttttttttttt addd a little more and get a vintage sub
tacotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:35 AM   #15
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB544 View Post
I've decided to branch out and get another brand. I'm seriously considering the new Seamaster, or perhaps the Speedmaster (Sapphire or Acrylic?). I've also decided to give Tudor a chance. For those who own some, what do you think of it? I was thinking about the Black Bay 41, blue dial, but I figure that might be a little close to the Explorer design-wise. I was also thinking about a Black Bay 58 or a Black Bay GMT (the Pepsi one). Anybody have any thoughts or opinions on these (including the Omega's if you own them). Obviously , I'm going to try them on before I buy them, but I was just trying to get general opinions on the quality and stuff.
I have two Tudors, a Glamour Big Date and an Advisor. Love them both. Thy're more accurate than my Rolexes.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:42 AM   #16
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Great watches and you get a lot for your money.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:59 AM   #17
Craigdwh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Breguet Type XXI
you can't go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned.

However the speedy is somewhat annoying. Manual wind, not water resistant and hesalite crystal.

my opinion, based on your current collection. The new Seamaster would be an amazing addition.

"Where's the nearest bridge"?
Craigdwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 12:19 PM   #18
SeikoBake
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15500
tudor chronos are looking sweet these days !!
SeikoBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 12:25 PM   #19
JSB544
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oyster Royal
Thanks everybody! It's nice to get a little more info about these watches. Fortunately, I have a few months to figure out which one makes the cut.
JSB544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 02:57 PM   #20
Cheap_Shot
"TRF" Member

I own (and love) both the acrylic Speedy and BB58. I doubt I will ever give them up.

Size: The BB58 wears much smaller than the Speedy. That's not to say the BB58 is small, but it's a 39mm width vs 42mm, and also it's much slimmer, 11mm vs 14mm. If you plan on wearing your new watch with dress shirts often, the BB58 will slide under the cuff much easier than the Speedy.

Presence: I think the Speedy stands out more than the BB58, but others may disagree. With it's pushers, domed acrylic crystal, and I believe extra weight, you'll notice it on your wrist more than the BB58, IMHO.

Water Resistance: I'm not sure how much of a factor this is for you, but you'd never want to take a Speedy into the pool or ocean. The BB58 however, no problems at all.

Heritage: Clearly, very few watches are going to beat the Speedy here. It's an iconic watch and universally respected among watch enthusiasts.

Accuracy: Extremely small sample size, but the BB58 is by far the most accurate watch I own. +1 second a day, if that. My Speedy is pretty fast, and I think you'd hear similar things from other Speedy owners.

Power Reserve: Speedy 48ish hours, BB58 72ish hours.

Availability: This might be the kicker for you. Super easy to get the Speedy from AD or grey. Extremely difficult to get the BB58 from an AD, and you might be paying a decent markup if you go grey.

I'm not sure that helps at all. I like the Tudor GMT, but I wish it was thinner. It's a touch thicker than the Speedy even, which is already pushing it for me.

The wear it and forget it watch is definitely the BB58. But if you like the quirks and heritage of horology, the Speedy might be more you're style.

Let me know if you have any specific questions between the two.
Cheap_Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 03:41 PM   #21
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
I love my tudors and have started collecting few, really enjoy wearing them now. I like that they are just fun a fun watch that you can pick up and go. Really enjoying the Pelagaos and GMT. As satedI love the BB58, it is the one that you forget is on your wrist as it comfortable to wear and I really enjoy it.

Hard to decide but I find the GMT, Pelagos and BB58 get worn a lot.

I also own the omega Seamster and after having. black one sold it as it was the same as most of my other watches. Now have a silver dial SM300 and I love it.
As I have got older, I am begging to appreciate more clouur in my collection rather than my usual black dials.

My Seamaster
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 03:43 PM   #22
Joeguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
If you’re planning to give the kids the watches you bought in their birth years, get another Rolex.

Don’t consider another brand.

They will appreciate differently. You wouldn’t buy one a Ferrari and the other one a Pinto yet that might be what happens if you go with different brands. Kids, even adult ones are sensitive to their relative status. Don’t buy yourself a future problem when you don’t have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 03:53 PM   #23
J-E
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeguy View Post
If you’re planning to give the kids the watches you bought in their birth years, get another Rolex.

Don’t consider another brand.

They will appreciate differently. You wouldn’t buy one a Ferrari and the other one a Pinto yet that might be what happens if you go with different brands. Kids, even adult ones are sensitive to their relative status. Don’t buy yourself a future problem when you don’t have to.

such bullshit, a Tudor is also great to pass on to your kids. if you expect them to be unhappy with something else than Rolex, you will have different future problems.
J-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 03:54 PM   #24
Joergen
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the good news!
I am a big fan of Tudor. I can't say much negative about the watches. Just really high quality and well-finished watches, well above many of the competitors in that price segment.
Plus, they have an interesting history as well as you probably know.
Joergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 04:18 PM   #25
Joeguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-E View Post
such bullshit, a Tudor is also great to pass on to your kids. if you expect them to be unhappy with something else than Rolex, you will have different future problems.

Sorry for the confusion little buddy. I meant to convey that future hard feelings might be avoided if the gifts were of similar value. He started with Rolex ...

Joeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 04:44 PM   #26
J-E
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeguy View Post
Sorry for the confusion little buddy. I meant to convey that future hard feelings might be avoided if the gifts were of similar value. He started with Rolex ...

alright, i misunderstood. My apologies :)

Still, if one gets a Tudor and the other a Rolex...these kids must be happy. I think getting such a watch from your parents is way more valuable than the actual retail price so even comparing them would be stupid imho.
J-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 05:13 PM   #27
unknown
"TRF" Member

I own a lot of Tudors and absolutely love them but I do love My speedmasters too. And you can't go wrong with the hesalite speedy.

Which one you buy first doesn't really matter, if you buy a tudor first you can buy the omega later or the other way around.
Old 21 October 2019, 05:17 PM   #28
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigdwh View Post
you can't go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned.

However the speedy is somewhat annoying. Manual wind, not water resistant and hesalite crystal.

my opinion, based on your current collection. The new Seamaster would be an amazing addition.

this is what makes out hobby so different and good to know these different preferences

What you call annoying is what I call a must have
The speedy must be the manual wind, I would never consider an automatic in this case same about the hesalite .. must have it.
Would never buy the one with sapphire.
I agree the water resistance could have been better :-)
Old 21 October 2019, 07:48 PM   #29
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Save for a rolex you have the time. Rolex is so much more special to hand down.
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 08:24 PM   #30
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunhose View Post
Save for a rolex you have the time. Rolex is so much more special to hand down.
No it is NOT so much more special
It’s just a watch like another one

If Rolex would be Tudor and Tudor would be Rolex I’m sure
Most would say “buy a Tudor”

Unbelievable what marketing can do. It’s more about brand recognition then knowledge about watches

Not saying that Rolex isn’t t good but it’s getting so exhausting that people are only looking at brand popularity
From members on a watch forum I would expect more insight

And not buy a Rolex or if you have more money go for a Patek