The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2019, 08:51 PM   #31
58junior
"TRF" Member

Black Bay 41 is a great substitute for an Explorer I
58junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 08:57 PM   #32
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I am a huge Tudor fan and have owned them all over time. If I was to do a one and only it would be the GMT. Unique enough and can be worn on the bracelet, strap or NATO. It will not break the bank and it is different enough from the Explorer. I get the advice of save up and buy another Rolex but you have that covered. You can also play around with less expensive watches such as a standard Seiko and cover a lot of ground for not much money once you have your two watches. Good luck.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:08 PM   #33
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
My Tudor Submariner 79090 is the sports watch that gets most wrist time in my collection.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:31 PM   #34
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I like my Tudor Heritage very much. Nice substantial watch. Runs very accurately. Almost right on. Maybe plus 2 secs a week. Always fun to read the posts by the Tudor bashers.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 09:38 PM   #35
andy66db
"TRF" Member

I have three Rolexes, an Omega Speedmaster and two Tudors—a Black Back Red ETA and a Black Bay GMT. I wear the Rolexes all the time, my Speedmaster regularly (it's the 60th Anniversary 2915 re-issue and it's a beauty). The Black Bay Red gets no wrist time and the GMT is on my wrist as I type. It's a great watch, only marred by the four months it spent at the RSC having the date change issue fixed.
andy66db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:05 PM   #36
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I really like Tudor. I have had two of them and my Pelagos Is my truly favorite beater watch. It has Rolex quality without the negative connotation of Rolex. Along time ago i used to think it said I can’t afford a Rolex but that was just ignorance in my early collector mind. Now I don’t care. Progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:14 PM   #37
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Tudor makes fantastic watches. No question. I’d get the GMT on bracelet if I were picking
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 10:53 PM   #38
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
First, all the watches you are considering are excellent watches. Whether it is a Speedmaster, Seamaster or Tudor, you are getting a classic. I own all three. My guess is that you will get more watches. You already have a nice sporty watch that doubles as a dresss watch in the Explorer 1. That watch on a nice leather strap will just be perfect with dress attire. As for followup watch, you have to decide on the style first. Do you want a diver style or a chrono. If you go Chrono, Speedmaster is a classic and worth every penny.

As for diver syle, both choices are worth it. Black Bay or smp. If you do the black bay GMT, you are getting a cool function as well. Your in a position that none of these choices are regrettable. Having said all that, and knowing that you started off with the brosnan 007 movies, I am going to say to go with an SMP. It is a classic. I love mine. I purchased mine right around the time the first movie came out with that watch. I still have it even though it does not get much wrist time these days due to my way to big collection.
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:16 PM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
The BB GMT is one of my favorite watches in my collection, regardless of brand. So, yeah, I would give Tudor a look.

With another kid on the way, saving a buck or two won't hurt, either.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2019, 11:47 PM   #40
mmaggi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
There really isn't a bad decision. Both Omega & Tudor make great watches. Go to an AD, try them on, buy one that really gets you. Personally I prefer Omega (based soley on physical appeal). Both make incredible movements. But what should only matter is what you think.
mmaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 12:12 AM   #41
rcclarkie
"TRF" Member

Watch: SMP 300m
First of all congrats on the forthcoming second addition to the family!

I always find it fascinating just how similar stories can be on this forum. I too am looking at an Exp1 to celebrate a kid in 2020. I also own a BB41 Blue (ETA rose dial) and am tempted by the current Omega line up (new SMC).

I would echo the advice of trying on before you move forward with your decision. Any BB (41, 58, GMT) is going to wear very different than your Exp1 due to their case thickness. The oversized crown is also something I have struggled with if you plan to wear it on the bracelet (less so on the surperb Tudor NATO). But the Tudors have fantastic build quality and excellent value for what you’re getting. Plus the colours are fun and would mix up your collection.

As for the Omega, I saw the recent 2019 Basel releases at my local AD this last weekend and the new SMP with the ceramic dial is so good on wrist, the white one in particular. Ceramic bezel, sapphire caseback and a 42mm case that wears very comfortably and more like 40mm, they’ve got a hit on their hands. Price wise it sits between a Tudor and a Rolex so still good value for what you’re getting.

Either way you can’t go wrong, just remember regardless of what you get it will be the connection to YOU that will matter most to your kids when you pass it along to them eventually, not the brand on the dial.

rcclarkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:06 AM   #42
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
From members on a watch forum I would expect more insight

Fortunately, there are many who are helpful or try to be. Sadly, there are just as many who make unsubstantial claims due to fierce brand “loyalty”.

It’s a shame because outside of the brand and logos, most watches we horologists enjoy have their pedigree and merits. If only people could see past their crown emblazoned lenses
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:15 AM   #43
eteokles
"TRF" Member

I had a Rolex and Tudor. I found myself wearing the Tudor all the time, so I sold the Rolex. No regrets at all.
eteokles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 01:30 AM   #44
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think they make nice enough watches, I owned one, it's just that for me it didn't stick.

Something about them for me, is that they're close but never seem to tick all the boxes enough to keep or buy another one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8566e148-9b4b-46ef-a1e1-f418c98fe126_zpsab86e0cc-M.jpg (66.8 KB, 137 views)
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 03:07 AM   #45
In-Cog-Neeto
"TRF" Member

Love Tudor

Can’t stop buying them
Old 22 October 2019, 03:11 AM   #46
dxbtousa
"TRF" Member

pelagos absolute legend watch. big fan and nearly daily wear it for the past month.
dxbtousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:13 AM   #47
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think they make nice enough watches, I owned one, it's just that for me it didn't stick.

Something about them for me, is that they're close but never seem to tick all the boxes enough to keep or buy another one.

That Grantour date is super clean! You don’t have it anymore?
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:39 AM   #48
erick-GP
"TRF" Member

I was in the same situation as you and everyone tells me the same thing, save a bit more and buy a Rolex ..... I'm waiting to buy my Rolex, but Tudor is great, after mi first Rolex going for it.
Good Luck !!!
erick-GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:47 AM   #49
fiddyg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and Panerai
I currently own couple watches. I don’t have a Tudor but I do own a Speedy (Moonwatch - Acryllic) and I love it. I’ve heard good things about Tudor. Can’t go wrong with either imo

fiddyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 04:49 AM   #50
VegasMilgauss
"TRF" Member

“Is that a Rolex?”
VegasMilgauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:07 AM   #51
RC999
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD blue
Recently picked up a BB chrono 'dark', quite impressed tbh! Feels very good in on the wrist and the PVD all black coating is quite attractive and stands out in the collection. I generally only buy Rolex, but it's undeniable Tudor does represent good value (especially with the BO1 movement)!
RC999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:12 AM   #52
Stellite
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMilgauss View Post
“Is that a Rolex?”
"Why yes, Tudor is owned by Rolex"
Stellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:22 AM   #53
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
That Grantour date is super clean! You don’t have it anymore?
No, I thinned the herd last year and sold maybe 8 watches.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 05:43 AM   #54
Butchh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
Fortunately, there are many who are helpful or try to be. Sadly, there are just as many who make unsubstantial claims due to fierce brand “loyalty”.

It’s a shame because outside of the brand and logos, most watches we horologists enjoy have their pedigree and merits. If only people could see past their crown emblazoned lenses
I’m with you! The kid is going to remember the connection to you, not the name on the watch. I have a Bulova quartz watch that was my grandfather’s that I wouldn’t take anything for! And all you have to worry about is being a good dad...and that’s not an easy row to hoe!!! Congratulations and good luck!!!

Last edited by Butchh; 22 October 2019 at 05:44 AM.. Reason: Misspell
Butchh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 06:33 AM   #55
ThatExplorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Personally own 3 Tudors:
GMT
Pelagos (MT5612)
Ranger

Also own Rolex along with other brands. One thing about Tudor is they are fantastic watches for 1/2 the price of a Rolex and they are fantastic quality!

ThatExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 06:48 AM   #56
Chope Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue dial 16618
Congratulations!

Will it be a boy, or a girl?

It may not be a silly question, as far as the choice for a watch may be concerned ...
Chope Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 07:42 AM   #57
JSB544
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Oyster Royal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chope Man View Post
Congratulations!

Will it be a boy, or a girl?

It may not be a silly question, as far as the choice for a watch may be concerned ...
Don't know yet. Already have a girl, so I'm hoping for a boy this time around, but I don't really get a say in the matter.

It's nice to hear everybodies thoughts. I'm reading what people are saying about the in house movement for Tudor. How much thicker than the Explorer does that make the case? I'm not really a fan of thick cases; it's part of the reason I could never 100% get behind the Planet Oceans (other than that it's a great watch.)
JSB544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 09:43 AM   #58
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
I picked up a BB 41 blue (on leather) this summer. My first Tudor, and am so impressed with the watch. The dial is a very subtle shade of blue, and looks great in contrast with the tan leather strap. Easily becoming one of my favorite watches.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:25 AM   #59
Brny11
"TRF" Member

SubC date is my “luxury” watch. My BB58 is special to me in ways the Sub will never be. It is such a warm watch with so much character. Easily the deepest connection I have had with a watch (including a few Subs, explorer, aqua terra, and 2 grand seikos).

100% endorse Tudor.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2019, 11:28 AM   #60
nick800
"TRF" Member

I had the chance to buy their pepsi GMT twice in the same day. It was in the case at two AD’s. I couldn’t get over the bracelet.
nick800 is offline   Reply With Quote