The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 1 June 2012, 01:21 PM   #1
rohardi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN, 216570
First Panerai in the next few months

In the next 3-6 months I plan to pick up my first Panerai. I am between the 312 and 372. I know the 372 is the HOT Panerai with people on lists to get one right now. I have never seen it except in pics on line and it looks amazing. I know the 312 is a great watch but is a fairly common watch. It is also the first Panerai I had my eye on.

So my question is, How hard will it be to come across a 372 when I'm ready, and how much will it cost me? I know MSRP is $10,400. Will I find it with any discounts? Will I have to pay above MSRP? Where will I most likely be able to get one, AD, Boutique, Trusted seller on TRF? I know I will have no problem finding a 312 and it will cost me a little less. What to do What to do...
rohardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 01:26 PM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
to be honest, go with the one you really really want a sthat is teh one that will make you happier

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 01:27 PM   #3
eric23
"TRF" Member

You are not going to save much on the 372.
eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 02:20 PM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
312 can be had for a good bargain. 372 is still very hot. Ultimately get what you like, both are sufficiently different that you can make a choice.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 08:35 PM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

pretty significant difference in price and signficantly different watches (not just looks, but, movement, size, thickness, and crystal, too). good luck with the choice!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 09:21 PM   #6
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Apples & oranges. Go for the one that makes you smile.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 11:16 PM   #7
rohardi
"TRF" Member

When I’m ready to buy one, how difficult will it be to find a 372? Will it be like finding a SS Daytona? Are they easy to come across?
Old 1 June 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
chris nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi View Post
When I’m ready to buy one, how difficult will it be to find a 372? Will it be like finding a SS Daytona? Are they easy to come across?
I see 372's for sale pretty frequently. New from an AD...that's a different story.

Gone but not forgotten: PAM 233, PAM 1389, PAM 690, PAM 654, PAM 176, PAM 000, PAM 312, PAM 305, PAM 422, Rolex DSSD, Rolex TT Sub Bluesy
chris nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 11:54 PM   #9
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
372's can be had more easily now at ADs. I know where one is now if someone is interested.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2012, 11:55 PM   #10
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

start with the TRF trusted sellers, then see if any local ADs might have it and then contact a boutique, who should be able to source one for you.

good luck!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2012, 06:23 AM   #11
FNFZ4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: None
There are lots of 372 around... just contact the right people :)

Watches:
Patek 5205G | Patek 5167A | 16613 Serti | 116718 Green | 216570 Black | 16700 Pepsi

Wish list:
Patek 5726/1 | AP RG Ceramic | Patek 5712 | Patek 5130
FNFZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2012, 02:55 PM   #12
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
A lot of differences here between these two. I would definitely try the 372 on prior to purchasing or at least something similar in size. For the me the 312 would be the winner but I cannot wear anything over 44mm
Old 3 June 2012, 01:02 AM   #13
rohardi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuy View Post
A lot of differences here between these two. I would definitely try the 372 on prior to purchasing or at least something similar in size. For the me the 312 would be the winner but I cannot wear anything over 44mm
Size won't be an issue. One of my watches in my current rotation is a 48mm Breitling. Bigger is better
Old 3 June 2012, 01:28 AM   #14
Mlpugh
"TRF" Member

372!!! Vintage style with a new in-house heartbeat...
Mlpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 02:16 AM   #15
rohardi
"TRF" Member

On the 372 I'm still kind of worried about the plexi glass on the front vs.a sapphire crystal... I'm not from the school of thought that scratches make a watch look as if it has more character. Will the plexi scratch? Should this be a concern for me?
Old 5 June 2012, 04:38 AM   #16
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohardi View Post
On the 372 I'm still kind of worried about the plexi glass on the front vs.a sapphire crystal... I'm not from the school of thought that scratches make a watch look as if it has more character. Will the plexi scratch? Should this be a concern for me?
How hard to you wear your watches? Inevitably , you'll get some scratches on the watches.. Even though some of us are very careful , you just never know..

The plexi buffs out the swirls and scratches easily, when you scratch a sapphire crystal (yes it can happen) you cannot... Obviously it's not very likely however!

372 is so special, i'm wearing it more than any of my pieces (that's between 6 PAM's, AP ROO, Hublots, Rolex's, UN, etc)... If I could have only one PAM, it'd be it! These are going to be a one production run, none after, a limited production piece... Ask me how I know? My friend owns a boutique and just returned back from Italy, and I just met the NA sales rep Chris
Prices are going up, and they are becoming hard to find... On the contrary, there have been a few on the forums.. In dealers? Hard to come by right now pending where you are of course
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 04:51 AM   #17
masterkiller
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & PAM...
Have you considered the PAM390 that would be the 44mm alternative to the PAM372,

The PAM312 is a whole different watch IMHO

/masterkiller
Omega - Speedy PRO
masterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 05:29 AM   #18
toulouse

Watch: 210, GMT2C
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
How hard to you wear your watches? Inevitably , you'll get some scratches on the watches.. Even though some of us are very careful , you just never know..

The plexi buffs out the swirls and scratches easily, when you scratch a sapphire crystal (yes it can happen) you cannot... Obviously it's not very likely however!

372 is so special, i'm wearing it more than any of my pieces (that's between 6 PAM's, AP ROO, Hublots, Rolex's, UN, etc)... If I could have only one PAM, it'd be it! These are going to be a one production run, none after, a limited production piece... Ask me how I know? My friend owns a boutique and just returned back from Italy, and I just met the NA sales rep Chris
Prices are going up, and they are becoming hard to find... On the contrary, there have been a few on the forums.. In dealers? Hard to come by right now pending where you are of course
I've heard twice from different ADs myself. This will be the only run and no more. I'm sure once its known for sure, they'll be harder to attain and the prices will be over MSRP. In any event, we'll know sometime soon. (not sure if they'd announce that after the production of 3500 ends and there's an absence of the 'o' series, or if its something not noticed until next SIHH). I got mine so limited or not, I consider myself lucky to own it.
However, they are popping up more frequently at ADs lately. Last I remember they were almost at 3000 out of the 3500 a couple months ago. Anyway, good luck. The hunt is a fun process in itself.
toulouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 05:34 AM   #19
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
Originally Posted by toulouse View Post
I've heard twice from different ADs myself. This will be the only run and no more. I'm sure once its known for sure, they'll be harder to attain and the prices will be over MSRP. In any event, we'll know sometime soon. (not sure if they'd announce that after the production of 3500 ends and there's an absence of the 'o' series, or if its something not noticed until next SIHH). I got mine so limited or not, I consider myself lucky to own it.
However, they are popping up more frequently at ADs lately. Last I remember they were almost at 3000 out of the 3500 a couple months ago. Anyway, good luck. The hunt is a fun process in itself.
Very true... Mine is actually a 3100 piece if memory serves me correctly.. I'll have to look when I get home!

They are already going over MSRP, look at ebay, and other watch stores online.. In the forum markets they are prices accordingly and fair, however, not so much in other market areas

They are selling almost equally to the 390 , from what I was told, even despite the extra 1500 pieces!
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote