The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 4 January 2018, 05:21 PM   #1
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Rolex Date Change Inconsistency

Good morning y'all!

I have read on here that it is normal that a watch change the date at a time that is not exactly midnight. I've read that there may even by a +/- 5min leeway from midnight so that a watch is within Rolex "specifications" (I am not sure if "specifications" is the right word to use here).

I have also read on here, that some watches don't change the date at the exact same time either.

For example, a watch may change the date at:

12:01:15 one day

12:05:49 the next day

11:58:37 the next day

My question is...

Why is it that the same watch changes the date at different times?

I am not worried that this is a problem or anything of that sort, I am just curious as to what the reason is.

I am not a watchmaker, so I don't understand how a watch works thoroughly enough to sit down and ponder about why this may happen.

If I had to guess, I would assume that maybe it depends how wound up the watch is?

If the watch is fully wound, the date will change earlier (within a limit, not hours earlier of course) than if it isn't wound?

Is this true?

I tried finding the answer online, but haven't had any luck.

Thanks in advance guys and gals
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 01:48 AM   #2
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Broad Arrow
Watch power reserve has no impact on the calendar. If anything a watch near end of power reserve might stop during date change, but thats about it.

To answer your other question, such inconsistencies might be hints that your watch is due for service as some calendar teeth might be dry, others could have dirt, etc.
Vicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 January 2018, 07:28 AM   #3
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicc View Post
Watch power reserve has no impact on the calendar. If anything a watch near end of power reserve might stop during date change, but thats about it.

To answer your other question, such inconsistencies might be hints that your watch is due for service as some calendar teeth might be dry, others could have dirt, etc.
Hey Viktor, thanks for your response.

I was hoping to get feedback from several members, I guess this won't be the case haha

Thanks again
Old 5 January 2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Vicc
"TRF" Member

No problem. This is only my theory and I bet there could be other reasons I didn't think of. I'm also curious as to what other watchmakers might say about this.

There could also be some calendar teeth that are more worn down than others. Are you asking for curiosity's sake or are you experiencing this problem?
Old 5 January 2018, 09:53 AM   #5
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
No problem. This is only my theory and I bet there could be other reasons I didn't think of. I'm also curious as to what other watchmakers might say about this.

There could also be some calendar teeth that are more worn down than others. Are you asking for curiosity's sake or are you experiencing this problem?
I noticed my watch is doing this.

I called my AD and talked to the Rolex certified watchmaker there. He said that he is pretty sure that it is okay for a watch to not change the date at the exact same time every day. He says that mostly every watch he has dealt with does this. However, he suggested that I call a Rolex Service Center and ask either customer service or a technician.

I called the Rolex Service Center in Beverly Hills CA.

I explained my question to the customer service representative, and she said she wasn't sure so she put me on hold so that she could ask a technician.

She came back and told me that this is NORMAL

Thanks for your input.

Like I mentioned, I am no watchmaker, so idk how or why this is so.
Old 5 January 2018, 10:29 AM   #6
Vicc
"TRF" Member

I have a cal 3135 being cleaned in the other room right now. It's about to finish. I'll see if I can introduce a problem into it.
Old 5 January 2018, 11:42 AM   #7
schoolboy
Banned

Quote:
I have a cal 3135 being cleaned in the other room right now. It's about to finish. I'll see if I can introduce a problem into it.
Awesome.

Please let me know.
Old 5 January 2018, 01:25 PM   #8
Vicc
"TRF" Member

Before oiling the calendar and calendar driving wheel there was 1 minute difference. Keep in mind that this is an already cleaned watch.

https://youtu.be/bFsCCNp8PgY

After oiling there was no difference.

https://youtu.be/4a9wJC6kjSg
Old 6 January 2018, 01:43 AM   #9
schoolboy
Banned

Good morning Viktor!

I saw the videos.

Very interesting, indeed.

Yesterday when I called the RSC in CA, they mentioned that the date changing time shouldn't vary if you are changing through dates using the hands by turning the crown.

They said that it is considered normal though, if the date changing time varies while the watch changes the date on its own (second hand ticking, no use of crown at all).

I called a RSC in Dallas, Texas today to ask the same question, and they explained that it is normal.

My conclusion, is that I am confused lol

I do want to thank you for all of the effort that you put into our conversation.

I really appreciate it.

Maybe with time I will learn more about how these beautiful pieces of art and mechanics work and come back to this question.

Thanks again.
Old 6 January 2018, 02:29 AM   #10
Vicc
"TRF" Member

No problem. I should've taken a video with the dial off to give a better insight about whats going under the dial.
Old 16 January 2018, 02:57 AM   #11
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

My SD43 was wind up the day I got it home, been fours months now and I wear it everyday and never had to wind up the watch. My date changes at 12:04am everyday on the dot. I hear the click and its date change time and time to go to bed.
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2018, 03:13 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
. . .
They said that it is considered normal though, if the date changing time varies while the watch changes the date on its own (second hand ticking, no use of crown at all).

I called a RSC in Dallas, Texas today to ask the same question, and they explained that it is normal.

. . .
The date change on a Rolex is not directly connected to the hands. There is a plate with a detent (cam) that arrives at one position every 24 hours. This detent allows a roller to move into the detent, then, when it is completely clear, a spring lever slaps the date over.

There is some variability in this arrangement since there are several moving parts, all independent from the watch hand gears.

This arrangement is why you can change the date manually at any time - no gears are engaged as in other movements. It is also why it is said to be "instantaneous" as the spring lever actually slaps it, in a blink, to the next day.
Old 18 January 2018, 03:01 PM   #13
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Many things can possibly change this. Like "Tools" said above, it's a spring clicking against a cam. There's also another spring that helps it click smoothly and to keep it aligned. Also, position and gravity can have an effect on it as well.

It's also possible that some excess oil might be in one or more specific spots in the calendar works that cause it to change at different times.

If the watch has been worked on, it's possible someone might have slightly damaged, or bent a part. I've seen plenty of bent calendar wheels, gear teeth, springs, etc. This will yield a certain behavior on certain dates.

Normally though, if everything is correct, I haven't noticed this deviation, especially in a Rolex. When I set the hands I like to have the date click at EXACTLY midnight, and then I turn the hands around a few days, just to see if it clicks at midnight more than once.

Another random thing about this. I've had customers request to have the date change at a different time. For example 3AM, instead of midnight. Can't quite remember why they asked for that.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:54 AM   #14
Csu87
"TRF" Member

you typically see this with dirty or under/over lubed date wheels. sometimes a simple cleaning and relubing can remedy, or like Valencia said, sometime there is an issue with the wheels or gear teeth that can cause this.

Surprised RSC said it was normal.
Csu87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2018, 11:57 AM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Thanks for sharing your wisdom guys.

I truly appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 4 April 2018, 05:00 AM   #16
Hot Carl
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Working tolerance is a couple of minutes either way.
Hot Carl is offline   Reply With Quote