The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 25 April 2018, 04:43 PM   #1
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

ALS-1815 Chrono or Homage to Walter Lange

Happy Wednesday! I'm thinking that an ALS maybe my next purchase, and I'm trying to decide the 1815 Chrono and Homage to WL jumping seconds. When I was in HK last month, I was able to try on the 1815 Chrono. At first I was unsure about the relatively large size (my wrist is 16.5cm and the lugs appears to overhang my wrist) and also 'hockey puck' look. But it's hard to overlook that movement.

When i was there, they said only the WG 'Homage' model remained but now they contacted me to say both RG and WG models are available. With the recent price increase, there's little difference between the two. The WG is 1/145 and RG is 1/90. The main negative I've is that it's even larger (40.5mm) and the white dial appears a bit plain. The black dial is the stand-out IMO but that's reserved for the SS model.

For the 1815 Chrono, my choice would be WG and for the Homage, the RG due to the relatively smaller production (although I prefer the look of WG). Given it's a LE model, what's the likely value retention?

An alternative to the ALSs is a Patek 3940G perp.

Between these *2 ALS (plus the PP), which model would you choose?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ALS-297-032-F.jpg (31.9 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg ALS-297-026-F.jpg (27.3 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2689.jpg (37.0 KB, 229 views)
MrBenF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:11 PM   #2
PJ S
Banned

Forget the rear view, it’s secondary to a watch that actually fits and is suited to your wrist shape/size.
If the Patek is the only one of the three which does that, then there’s your answer.
Roughly guessing what budget you’re working to, one option is the 36mm AL&S Homage to Emil Lange, assuming you want a recognised brand name.

If budget permits/can be increased, and you’re not afraid to venture into the independent sphere, then perhaps the Rexhep Rexhepi may be of interest — http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....open_bLoB_s-0/
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:13 PM   #3
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i like the ALS chrono a lot. From the front and the back so i would go with that.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Patek Philippe
"TRF" Member

IMHO, For collecting purpose Walter Lange. For your own pleasure, 1815 chrono. To me 3940 is quite small and a bit old school look.

Last edited by Patek Philippe; 25 April 2018 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Typo
Patek Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 07:13 PM   #5
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

FWIW, the Homage to WL models contain a unique 'stoppable jumping seconds' complication that's not used by any other mainstream watchmakers. More information here: http://m.alange-soehne.com/en/homage-to-walter-lange/.

View from the back is not bad either (although a shade below the Chrono).

Main reason why I passed over the 1815 chronograph last month was because of the expected depreciation. I'd pretty much overcome my initial reservations with the case size and aesthetic (which is polarising).

Have been looking at watches for just over a year and this'll be my second good watch, the first being a Patek Calavatra.

At this stage, I'm indifferent to either a Chronograph or the Patek perp as I plan to get both eventually. Initially I was drawn to the 3940 but haven't been able to source one in WG or Pl. I do prefer the smaller size since IMO it's more classic and fits my wrist better. But the ALS's Chronograph (flyback, jumping seconds) is IMV best in class, superior to the PP 5170.

The other difference is that with the ALS I can buy new, whereas with the PP it'd be pre-owned since the model was discontinued in 2005.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg walterlange_1.jpg (19.1 KB, 217 views)
Old 25 April 2018, 07:24 PM   #6
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patek Philippe View Post
IMHO, For collecting purpose Walter Lange. For your own pleasure, 1815 chrono. To me 3940 is quite small and a bit old school look.
Here's the 3040J and 3970J (WG models n/a) on my wrist. Next to a 39-40mm Lange, it does look rather small although it's a better match for my skinny wrist.

For a perp and above I'd like to stick to Patek as i think this's what they do best. But the 5140 (37.2mm) doesn't appeal because of the dial and the 5327 because of the Breguet numbers and that it's the same movement as used in the 3940s.

What other perp would you suggest?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2394.jpg (29.3 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2691.jpg (34.4 KB, 217 views)
Old 25 April 2018, 07:30 PM   #7
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
Forget the rear view, it’s secondary to a watch that actually fits and is suited to your wrist shape/size.
If the Patek is the only one of the three which does that, then there’s your answer.
Roughly guessing what budget you’re working to, one option is the 36mm AL&S Homage to Emil Lange, assuming you want a recognised brand name.

If budget permits/can be increased, and you’re not afraid to venture into the independent sphere, then perhaps the Rexhep Rexhepi may be of interest — http://www.watchprosite.com/page-wf....open_bLoB_s-0/
I'll look into the Homage for Emil Lange since it's in the same ballpark as my other options. Can you pls expand on what you meant by 'assuming you want a recognised brand name'.

Thanks
Old 25 April 2018, 08:21 PM   #8
PJ S
Banned

^
I’d have thought that was self explanatory, but nonetheless...
Are you aware or ever heard of Rexhep Rexhepi even, if with his brother, in relation to Akrivia?
Presuming not, then the remark was in line with taking a punt on an unknown independent versus sticking with brands that are relatively well known.

Again, based on assumed budget, how about an Urban Jurgensen?
https://www.chrono24.com/urbanjuerge...-id6751041.htm

Or what about a Moritz Grossmann? As you’d be buying direct from them, you might be able to change the dial Arabics for Roman Numerals or something else preferred.
https://www.chrono24.com/moritzgross...-id5737800.htm

Where do you stand on the older & smaller FP Journes?
https://www.chrono24.com/fpjourne/oc...-id7510056.htm
Old 25 April 2018, 08:50 PM   #9
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
The Lange Chrono and then the PP.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 08:58 PM   #10
Patek Philippe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBenF View Post
Here's the 3040J and 3970J (WG models n/a) on my wrist. Next to a 39-40mm Lange, it does look rather small although it's a better match for my skinny wrist.

For a perp and above I'd like to stick to Patek as i think this's what they do best. But the 5140 (37.2mm) doesn't appeal because of the dial and the 5327 because of the Breguet numbers and that it's the same movement as used in the 3940s.

What other perp would you suggest?
Definitely Patek is best at its perpetual. If budget is not your concern, 3970 is grail to many members of this forum and it looks perfect on your wrist. Personally, I would take 5970 or 5270 the third version in any metal.
Patek Philippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2018, 09:49 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

1815 Black wg or new rg. Depreciation part of the game
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:04 AM   #12
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

It does seem those Pateks "fit" your wrist pretty well. As PJ has said, get a watch that fits good first, then worry about what the movement looks like. That said the 1815 doesn't appear to look too big, but if you think it might be then you are probably right and may never be content.

The Emil Lange is a beauty but I think may wear smaller than those Pateks (it may indeed actually be smaller in diameter too, I'm too lazy to check).
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 08:13 AM   #13
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

PJ S, that was indeed self-explanatory-I misread your sentence...duh.

I’ll look into those options although I’m not ready to make the leap into independents just yet (FPJ being a possible exception).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 April 2018, 09:35 AM   #14
PJ S
Banned

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post

The Emil Lange is a beauty but I think may wear smaller than those Pateks (it may indeed actually be smaller in diameter too, I'm too lazy to check).
36mm... you lazy sod!
¾ main plate may not cut the mustard though.
Old 26 April 2018, 12:21 PM   #15
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
36mm... you lazy sod!
¾ main plate may not cut the mustard though.
That would have been my guess! Cheers!
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 01:08 PM   #16
MrBenF
"TRF" Member

There’s little love for the Homage to Walter Lange despite its merits (unusual complication and limited edition model).

Would someone care to expand on the reasons?

Thanks.
Old 27 April 2018, 01:44 PM   #17
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Buy a watch that fits your wrist.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 April 2018, 08:57 PM   #18
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Chrono with the type two dial without the scale on it. 1815 Chrinograph at it's cleanest IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote