The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 5 June 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
MCox

Need opinions on Pam 351

I was at my local AD today and I am close to pulling the trigger on my next watch, thought it was gonna be a sub but I have decided on a PAM. They had a PAM 351 that I fell in love with but I am so new to this that all the numbers kinda blur together and sometimes it's even hard to tell the difference. So what it comes down to is I know that some models are more collectable and sought after. I have never been a fan of titanium watches before but the 351 with the 18k hands is amazing. MSRP $8,900 I would really appreciate opinions and I know some will say if you love it buy it, I'm looking for real pros and cons Thanks in advance! Michael
MCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 05:54 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

titanium + brown dial + YG hands + 1950s case + P.9000 movement = great watch indeed!

one thing to consider is that with the brown dial, your choices of straps will be a bit limited color-wise compared to a black dial, but, there are more than enough choices to keep you busy.

the 312 is the same watch, but in SS with a black dial and non-YG hands.

Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 07:33 PM   #3
joskovic
"TRF" Member

I went thru this few months ago before I pulled my trigger on the PAM351. No regrets as both is a really nice watch. the 351 is lighter n sits nicely on my wrist. since the 351 is a titanium, fine scratches is hardly visible.

agree with jones. matching the strap is alot harder but there are still plenty for you to choose from. you'll be surprise when match with diff strap color, that the tobacco dial changes it's tone!
joskovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 07:59 PM   #4
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

All good choices. Personally I prefer the 320>312>351. Can't go wrong.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 09:27 PM   #5
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I have the 351 along with a 112. I prefer the 112 for daily use due to the thickness of the case vs the 351. I keep the 351 on the OEM black rubber strap mainly because I find the OEM gator to be less comfortable. My 112 & 351 weight about the same from what I can tell. I prefer the strap change devise on the 351. I think what others say about strap options is correct with the brown / tobacco dial; although the added weight for the SS on a 312 might have been a show stopper for me. I am overal happy with my 351 & plan on keeping it for a long time.

R/
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

I strongly considered the 351, but decided to go with the titanium Luminor cased 177 instead. Just felt a little better on my wrist and I thought the black dial might be a little more versatile than the brown.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2012, 01:13 AM   #7
eric23
"TRF" Member

I use to have a 351, nice watch a bit thick;

eric23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2012, 01:40 AM   #8
MCox

Thank you for all the responses it has really helped!
MCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2012, 04:50 AM   #9
dranhle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710
I used to have the 351. I love the look of the dial and gold hands, but overall it was too thick on my wrist. Also the p.9000 auto movement rotor is a little too loud and wobbly for me.
dranhle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
FWK
"TRF" Member

I tried the 351 several times, and really tried to like it. On paper its a great option and way better than the 312. But in reality it never really wowed me. The dial colour is more a borring faded grey than a nice tobacco brown. It's not the same brown as the 232. It just looked to odd on my wrist. Got me a nice 177 instead, it still has the nice TI case, but a much more versatile dialcolour and much more DNA. Also, I love the 1950 case, but only on the 127 and 233 and the likes. The automatic versions (with the often flawed p9000) is simply out of proportion and sits too high. Automatic and dato is actually as far away from the original Panerai DNA you can get. The 312 is a nice beginners watch though for anyone comming from a Rolex watch.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2012, 01:54 PM   #11
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Love the looks of the 351 and the gold hands. In the end I went with the 312 and there has been no looking back for me
Old 13 June 2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Wristmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching U
The tobacco dial is the only element to consider, otherwise, great watch, one of a kind auto in panerai.
Wristmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 08:05 PM   #13
FWK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wristmaster View Post
The tobacco dial is the only element to consider, otherwise, great watch, one of a kind auto in panerai.
And then please consider that the dial is not tobacco like the 232. But more a dull grey color. Please try the watch before you buy. On the paper it's a winner over the 312 in every way. But there is a reason why the still sell way more 312's. It's not a total miss, but it could have been so much better.
If this is your first Pam, please get the real feeling and go with a historic base.
FWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Wristmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching U
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWK View Post
And then please consider that the dial is not tobacco like the 232. But more a dull grey color. Please try the watch before you buy. On the paper it's a winner over the 312 in every way. But there is a reason why the still sell way more 312's. It's not a total miss, but it could have been so much better.
If this is your first Pam, please get the real feeling and go with a historic base.
Cant agree more.. Historic manuals are the real deal. Will really hit the spot for your first Panerai.
Wristmaster is offline   Reply With Quote