The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 April 2018, 12:34 PM   #1
ar5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ
Making my own dial

I work in the semiconductor industry. I can make parts more accurately than any jeweler or watch maker since we deal in nanometers, not just microns or millimeters. My intention is to make my own dial for a DJ 16013 circa 1985. It would be a very unique material and be one of kind. I don't really care about the resale value, so no need to lecture me about that.

I'm short several things to make this happen. I'm hoping the braintrust in this forum can come through for me-

1) I need an accurate technical diagram of the a dial. I'd like to know the diameter, exact size/location of the date window, and diameter of the hole in the center. I also need to know how thick it should be.

2) I'm looking for someone qualified to add a Rolex logo, hour markers, (maybe) some diamonds to my dial and install it. I have several outstanding questions about how a jeweler can get the hour markers/logo to adhere to the surface of the dial. I could laser etch those areas if it would promote better adhesion.

I'm going to make a small run of the blank dials since it's just about the same price to make one. When it's finished I'll post some pictures. If anyone else thinks this is as cool as I do, I'll have a few extras.

Thanks!
Old 25 April 2018, 02:09 PM   #2
Jerodp716
"TRF" Member

Sounds pretty cool! Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 25 April 2018, 02:44 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar5000 View Post
I work in the semiconductor industry. I can make parts more accurately than any jeweler or watch maker since we deal in nanometers, not just microns or millimeters. My intention is to make my own dial for a DJ 16013 circa 1985. It would be a very unique material and be one of kind. I don't really care about the resale value, so no need to lecture me about that.

I'm short several things to make this happen. I'm hoping the braintrust in this forum can come through for me-

1) I need an accurate technical diagram of the a dial. I'd like to know the diameter, exact size/location of the date window, and diameter of the hole in the center. I also need to know how thick it should be.

2) I'm looking for someone qualified to add a Rolex logo, hour markers, (maybe) some diamonds to my dial and install it. I have several outstanding questions about how a jeweler can get the hour markers/logo to adhere to the surface of the dial. I could laser etch those areas if it would promote better adhesion.

I'm going to make a small run of the blank dials since it's just about the same price to make one. When it's finished I'll post some pictures. If anyone else thinks this is as cool as I do, I'll have a few extras.

Thanks!
Adding a Rolex logo would make it a fake dial, and offering them to members of this forum would not be allowed. You're kind of crossing a line here even discussing this project, really.
Old 25 April 2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

Agreed! Cool idea until you talk about putting a Rolex logo on it.
I've no problem with it if you didn't do that and kept it purely (and clearly) an aftermarket dial. Why not create your own logo to go on it, there may even be a little side business there if you make a great product
Old 25 April 2018, 04:17 PM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

You have access to such machinery but you cannot find a dial to measure?

Old 25 April 2018, 04:25 PM   #6
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Adding a Rolex logo would make it a fake dial, and offering them to members of this forum would not be allowed. You're kind of crossing a line here even discussing this project, really.

Im all for modifying your watch. Wouldn't do one myself but i appreciate the personal touch people add to their watches. Just don't add branding that doesn't belong there if you are the one who made it.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 25 April 2018, 04:38 PM   #7
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I agree that it wouldn't be right to add the Rolex logo on the dial, since it wasn't made by Rolex . But that apart from that it seems like a great idea ,and would really like to see the finished item .
Old 25 April 2018, 05:15 PM   #8
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar5000 View Post
so no need to lecture me about that I'm looking for someone qualified to add a Rolex logo
Oh! I'm going to lecture you Mister. If this was a reality TV programme show "The Apprentice" , I would have given you an A+ for Dedication , A+ Engineering know-how , A+ for Organization skills but F for mentioning the word Rolex Logo. F means You're Fired !
Old 25 April 2018, 05:21 PM   #9
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
I agree; the forum greatly frowns on help forgers.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 25 April 2018, 05:25 PM   #10
seadweller43
Banned

use your initial instead of the rolex logo, should be much cooler.
Old 25 April 2018, 06:57 PM   #11
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadweller43 View Post
use your initial instead of the rolex logo, should be much cooler.
Just what I was going to say, it would be cool and unique to you to have initials.

Great idea making a custom dial.
Closed Thread