The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 22 August 2016, 10:24 AM   #31
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Trying to keep with your same mug theme Larry...Independence coffee Co. 'Jet Fuel'

Texex91, was that beautiful watch really just sitting there on the table when the picture of your coffee was taken?
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 11:02 AM   #32
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Life is too short to drink bad coffee.
Old 22 August 2016, 12:25 PM   #33
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Larry, glad you've decided to journey down the road to a better cup. I'm sure Rolex Addict and other will be able to help you. I've been roasting green beans for about 25 years. Once you find the right combination you won't be disappointed. There's a shot of my equipment below.

★ what Coffee are you trying and how do you like it?
Have tried a lot of different beans. My taste buds seen to prefer Ethiopian Yirgacheffe the most so that's what I use.

★ Favorite brand?
I don't use any brand. Strictly my own roast.

★ What equipment are you using?
The pic below is a Jura F50. over 25,000 cups on the counter without the need for any service so far (touch wood). It uses an internal adjustable burr grinder. I picked up the iRoast 2 counter top roaster before they went out of business. Best scoop I've made in a while. It has a programmable temp and time roast profile feature. This feature alone is worth it's weight ...

★ Any tricks or special things you do to get that perfect cup of coffee?
I was going to tell you the best tip is to roast your own bean in small batches but now that you're going there I'll throw in a couple of roasting suggestions.

1.) Remember when your roasting beans you should treat the process very much like roasting any food with an internal oil component (nuts, seeds etc). Slowly bring them up to temp especially up to just before the first crack. Too hot, too fast and the results will be disappointing. Then you can crank them a little more at a time until the results are what you want. Experiment with different (temp/time) profiles.

2.) Look at them regularly during the roasting. Your eyes will be the most important tool you have.

3.) Notice in my pic the beans aren't shiny. When you see shiny you're seeing oil. Oil carries flavour. When brought to the surface it starts to evaporate and flavor is lost. There will be many who will argue this point so it's up to you to determine.

As Rolex Addict has said I'm willing to share any of my experiences with anyone if they want to ask. Just send me a PM.
Yes, bring the temp up slowly to the first crack. I don't change the heat setting. This purely so I can consistently time the level of roast without looking at the beans. Opening the roaster releases heat and it's very smoky. Hard to see anything. As long as you don't let the beans go past the second crack, they shouldn't oil until several days later (for dark- Italian roasts). That's why it's important to drink it within two weeks of roasting so you get all the flavors. You did forget one of the most important tips. Don't roast inside your house unless you want all the fire alarms going off!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 03:23 PM   #34
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Watch: Not enough ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Life if too short to have bad anything 😂

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Kingair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 10:03 PM   #35
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
Texex91, was that beautiful watch really just sitting there on the table when the picture of your coffee was taken?
OF course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Life if too short to have bad anything 😂
Amen
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 10:49 PM   #36
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Now there's a quote to live life by
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 August 2016, 11:10 PM   #37
mannyv11
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD,Sub,GMT,Daytona
well after reading this thread I am seriously considering roasting my own coffee and seeing how it comes out =)
mannyv11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 05:55 AM   #38
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
well after reading this thread I am seriously considering roasting my own coffee and seeing how it comes out =)
Send me some when your done !

Always love to try new things

Old 23 August 2016, 10:05 AM   #39
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Yes, bring the temp up slowly to the first crack. I don't change the heat setting. This purely so I can consistently time the level of roast without looking at the beans. Opening the roaster releases heat and it's very smoky. Hard to see anything. As long as you don't let the beans go past the second crack, they shouldn't oil until several days later (for dark- Italian roasts). That's why it's important to drink it within two weeks of roasting so you get all the flavors. You did forget one of the most important tips. Don't roast inside your house unless you want all the fire alarms going off!!!
All good Chad. Easier when using a programmable roaster. The profile starts low and slowly increases temp just before the first crack. Took me 2 full pages of recording settings to get it right. It's also glass so I can keep an eye on the roasting stages without opening. If you're using the whirligig then your right you don't want to open it. I'm also able to roast inside because my roaster is a hot air system that vents through the top while roasting. I put on the stove below the vent hood and it sucks out all the smoke. Perfect! Every time I see someone empty a bag of beans that are greasy I cringe thinking of all the lost flavour. It's either been over roasted or way past it's prime. I use up each batch within 2 to 4 days max.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 10:10 AM   #40
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyv11 View Post
Manny, you won't regret it. Once you get set up and establish a process you'll love the flavour boost and save at least 50% on your coffee bill.

Old 23 August 2016, 10:55 AM   #41
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
Quality bean, whether green or roasted is the key to great coffee regardless of what method you use to make the coffee.
You can still make bad coffee from good bean but you can't make good coffee from bad bean.
I do not roast (surely will one day) because I have access to so much great brown bean at the right price. It is just a matter of looking around and trying what is available until you find the best.
My supplier occasionally obtains a shipment of Jamacian Blue Mountain bean but I have not bought any yet due to the high price. I get such a good result from many other single origins from premium coffee growing areas that it seems hard to justify twice the cost.
It has taken me years to perfect my technique on my Espresso machine which is a manual, but well worth the effort to consistently drink great coffee.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 11:58 AM   #42
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Quality bean, whether green or roasted is the key to great coffee regardless of what method you use to make the coffee.
You can still make bad coffee from good bean but you can't make good coffee from bad bean.
I do not roast (surely will one day) because I have access to so much great brown bean at the right price. It is just a matter of looking around and trying what is available until you find the best.
My supplier occasionally obtains a shipment of Jamacian Blue Mountain bean but I have not bought any yet due to the high price. I get such a good result from many other single origins from premium coffee growing areas that it seems hard to justify twice the cost.
It has taken me years to perfect my technique on my Espresso machine which is a manual, but well worth the effort to consistently drink great coffee.
It's nice that you have a fresh batch roaster close to you as long as they record the roast date. One way to make bad coffee with a good bean and good process is to use quality beans that are weeks old. The nice thing about green beans is a very long shelf life. Also if you buy in bulk (8-10 kilos) your cost per pound drops significantly. You may be able to get a price you like on that Jamaican (unless it's peaberry, even green it's about $35.00/lb around here).

Old 23 August 2016, 04:38 PM   #43
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Cheers Rick,
My roaster usually has my bean to me within a few days but I have found over many years that anything within a fortnight of roast is fine just as long as it has been vacuum sealed and kept cool. Some varieties are only at their best a week or so after roast anyhow.
I take several weeks to use a kilo and the bean lives in a couple of layers of clip-seal foil bags in the bottom of the fridge. Heat and moisture are the main enemies of roasted bean and as long as the bean is well sealed it is just fine in the fridge for several weeks.
I learned years ago to avoid any bean from supermarkets as they usually show a "use by" date instead of a "roast date" and can be many months old. Supermarket beans are rarely top quality beans in any case and are generally to be avoided.
When available, the Jamacian Blue Mountain come in 2kilo lots for $100. I need to find another enthusiast to share the quantity.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Old 23 August 2016, 04:46 PM   #44
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Cheers Rick,
My roaster usually has my bean to me within a few days but I have found over many years that anything within a fortnight of roast is fine just as long as it has been vacuum sealed and kept cool. Some varieties are only at their best a week or so after roast anyhow.
I take several weeks to use a kilo and the bean lives in a couple of layers of clip-seal foil bags in the bottom of the fridge. Heat and moisture are the main enemies of roasted bean and as long as the bean is well sealed it is just fine in the fridge for several weeks.
I learned years ago to avoid any bean from supermarkets as they usually show a "use by" date instead of a "roast date" and can be many months old. Supermarket beans are rarely top quality beans in any case and are generally to be avoided.
When available, the Jamacian Blue Mountain come in 2kilo lots for $100. I need to find another enthusiast to share the quantity.
I've had freshly roasted JBM. It is very good, but I wouldn't buy it again. Compared to other freshly roasted varieties, it's just not that much better to justify the expense.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 05:06 PM   #45
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Yeah Abdullah, that is what has been in the back of my mind.
My regular varieties are so good that I really couldn't justify a bean that is twice the price.
I will try it one day however, just for my own edification.

Old 23 August 2016, 08:42 PM   #46
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Yeah Abdullah, that is what has been in the back of my mind.
My regular varieties are so good that I really couldn't justify a bean that is twice the price.
I will try it one day however, just for my own edification.
I feel the same way about Kona beans. Not worth the extra cost to me.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 09:46 PM   #47
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I feel the same way about Kona beans. Not worth the extra cost to me.
I'll add Kopi Luwak to the list as well. It's a nice once in a lifetime novelty, but wasn't at all worth the expense.
Old 23 August 2016, 11:00 PM   #48
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

I think the coffee you should buy will depend on the preparation method and tour personal preferences.

I personally have trouble digesting french press/aeropress coffee due to the full oil and particle content. Therfore I have preferred using a manual pour over method. A beehouse dripper, high quality paper filters (oxygen bleached), a very good burr grinder and a Hario carafe is all I use. Some like to use a coffee scale for consistency but since I change coffees all the time, there is little value because each coffee requires slightly different amounts for the perfect extraction.

Next up, I find the best roasters and then order what I like from them. My faves are Counter Culture, Heart, Chromatic, Sweet Bloom, and Ritual. I have tried many others but by and large these roasters use Probat roasters and they get just the right roast profile for each coffee. Devicion in NYC is also good, but don't order their stuff unless you really understand that each of their coffees has a different roast profile and benefits from different prep methods.

Next big thing...freeze your beans when you get them. It is science. They stay fresher longer and they grind into more uniform particle size.

If any of you want to see tasting notes for coffees, shoot me a pm...I keep a wine/coffee/food blog where I chronicle all this, but I don't want to post the link here because I think it is crass to self promote like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2016, 11:35 PM   #49
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

I'm working on getting my techniques up to speed before splurging on high-end beans. Fortunately we have a couple of local roasters to source fresh beans with a roasted on date.

Regarding equipment, I've gotten fed up with our Bunn drip machine and grinder, while my wife remains content with them. So I've decided to go more manual with a hand grinder and french press. The grinder is a basic conical burr Hario Skerton, and the french press is a Bodum I believe. I finally picked up a Hario scale with a timer so I can pre-measure my bean and water weights to aim for more consistency. I've got a syphon filter as well I need to dust off this weekend and take for a spin, always makes me feel like Walter White when I'm brewing
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 12:49 AM   #50
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

I love Starbucks, usually the dark roasts. But, my favorite espresso based drinks are:
flat white, or latte.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 01:05 AM   #51
Kingair
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I'll add Kopi Luwak to the list as well. It's a nice once in a lifetime novelty, but wasn't at all worth the expense.
I just have the same idea as you !

I tried the Kopi Luwak already a few times

And it's good but I guess more an hype . . .

Old 24 August 2016, 02:07 AM   #52
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
I just have the same idea as you !

I tried the Kopi Luwak already a few times

And it's good but I guess more an hype . . .

Agree with both of you. It was good, but nothing special. Also agree with the Kona and JBM hype. They are both good coffees when you are in a resort in Hawaii or Jamaica. At home, my local roaster's beans can't be beat!
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:13 AM   #53
Jfullm42
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
My in laws have a high end Jura and love it. I prefer French press and I've been on anything from Nicaragua lately. Visited the Starbucks Reserve Shop yesterday in my home town and had some of their Nicaraguan that they brewed that day. Tasty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (154.6 KB, 248 views)
Jfullm42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 06:16 AM   #54
James K
"TRF" Member

Here's my main machine with the coffee we drink 95% of the time. I've been getting it directly from the roaster in Jamaica for 15 years now. It works for me, they haven't raised the price in 12 years now and they roast it they day before they ship it out. Over the entire 15 years I've been buying it the taste has been 100% the same/accurate. I haven't had that much luck with other coffees like the single plantation Konas, the one exception being Hula Daddy.

James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 10:18 AM   #55
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

I've got an Incomming!!!! for this thread

Just love this delivery. Another 20lbs of Yirgacheffe green beans @ $5.25/lb. Into the Tupperware bin. Should last for about 3 months. Will be roasting a new batch in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beans 1.jpg (73.6 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg beans 2.jpg (64.6 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg beans 3.jpg (68.8 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg beans 4.jpg (60.2 KB, 233 views)

Old 24 August 2016, 01:58 PM   #56
520Matt
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD, LV,GMT II Pep
Wow some serious good coffee info here. My wife and I brew every day. This is our set up, OXO coffee machine and the grinder is Braun and seems to work well, but I'm no expert. We buy beans at Trader Joes. After reading this thread I will have to try some other beans. i started drinking coffee for the caffeine and have grown to really enjoy it. My wife says the OXO is a fairly decent machine anyone know it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.1 KB, 219 views)
520Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 02:43 PM   #57
teqp
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 520Matt View Post
the grinder is Braun and seems to work well, but I'm no expert.
I have a Braun grinder that I use for grinding spices. For coffee I would recommend a conical burr grinder to get a more even grind on your beans. The blade grinder can heat up your beans and are not very good at getting a even grind. They cost more but are worth it, IMO.

Try to find a local coffee shop that roasts their own beans and try until you find one you like.
teqp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 04:05 PM   #58
BNA/LION
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX
TRF ~ Coffee Lovers Thread!

Below after may years of trial and error of a lot of different coffee related paraphernalia is our current set-up.

Coffee Maker: Moccamaster
http://www.technivorm.com/

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Commercial-Grade Conical Burr Grinder
http://www.capresso.com/coffee-grind...ical-burr.html

French Press: Bodum CHAMBORD
http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/d...-16/?navid=276
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080865.jpg (115.9 KB, 215 views)

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2016, 07:33 PM   #59
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNALION View Post
Below after may years of trial and error of a lot of different coffee related paraphernalia is our current set-up.

Coffee Maker: Moccamaster
http://www.technivorm.com/

Grinder: Capresso Infinity Commercial-Grade Conical Burr Grinder
http://www.capresso.com/coffee-grind...ical-burr.html

French Press: Bodum CHAMBORD
http://www.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/d...-16/?navid=276
I was looking at the Moccamaster KBTS 741 online yesterday. It looks cool and I'm a sucker for coffee gadgetry, but is it worth ten times more money than a Mr. Coffee?
Old 25 August 2016, 12:11 AM   #60
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
I was looking at the Moccamaster KBTS 741 online yesterday. It looks cool and I'm a sucker for coffee gadgetry, but is it worth ten times more money than a Mr. Coffee?
If you stick to the list on this site, you'll be alright.

http://www.scaa.org/?page=cert2

If you like gadgetry, check out the Brazen coffee makers. The bluetooth one is a bit much, but the regular one has caught my eye.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kona