The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 6 April 2020, 01:32 AM   #1
vinlesposito
"TRF" Member

Possible eBay scammer

Hi all, just wanted to give everyone a heads up I believe that eBay seller dianajones2013 is a scammer.

I speak, unfortunately, from experience here as I recently made a transaction for a 1978 5513 that they had listed. The description mentioned a BIN option so I messaged with an offer, which they accepted. Seller was very good with providing pictures beyond what was in the listing and all seemed legit, was even able to tell me the serial #, which fell within the range of "pre-comex" dial watches. Of course, wire was made 4 days ago and they have only provided me with info like this:

"I just called them and told me that the confirmation has been sent but i have not received anything. Now i'm waiting to receive it. When i will have it, i will send it here. Sorry for that. Is a complete madness because of this virus. Anyway, don't worry because the watch has been sent."

At this point my heart pretty much sank and I realized I had been taken for a ride. I got a little too ahead of myself thinking I had negotiated a pretty good deal for a clean looking piece. Unfortunately, I also found photos of said piece on VRF and after messaging the OP he informed me that the watch had NOT been on eBay in the last two weeks. Fingers crossed somehow this works out but the pessimist in me is saying I'm out a few bucks this week.
vinlesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:55 AM   #2
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlesposito View Post
Hi all, just wanted to give everyone a heads up I believe that eBay seller dianajones2013 is a scammer.

I speak, unfortunately, from experience here as I recently made a transaction for a 1978 5513 that they had listed. The description mentioned a BIN option so I messaged with an offer, which they accepted. Seller was very good with providing pictures beyond what was in the listing and all seemed legit, was even able to tell me the serial #, which fell within the range of "pre-comex" dial watches. Of course, wire was made 4 days ago and they have only provided me with info like this:

"I just called them and told me that the confirmation has been sent but i have not received anything. Now i'm waiting to receive it. When i will have it, i will send it here. Sorry for that. Is a complete madness because of this virus. Anyway, don't worry because the watch has been sent."

At this point my heart pretty much sank and I realized I had been taken for a ride. I got a little too ahead of myself thinking I had negotiated a pretty good deal for a clean looking piece. Unfortunately, I also found photos of said piece on VRF and after messaging the OP he informed me that the watch had NOT been on eBay in the last two weeks. Fingers crossed somehow this works out but the pessimist in me is saying I'm out a few bucks this week.

Gonzo, bro. So Sorry to hear this. I deal with no one in watches other than the trusted sellers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 04:40 AM   #3
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Watch: YMII,GMTII,DAYTONA
Did you buy via eBay?
Why did you not use Paypal?
Old 6 April 2020, 04:52 AM   #4
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Not encouraging that his only feedback as a seller is for Castrol Edge 5W-40 Engine Oil.

I hope things work out for you. Did you pay via PayPal? Edit: Nvmd I see you did not
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:28 AM   #5
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Never like seeing these posts, and they don't seem to be getting any less frequent!

Sorry OP, your money is gone (unless you can miraculously stop/reverse the wire).

I really don't want to rub salt in the wound, but it never ceases to amaze me how otherwise intelligent folks can bypass multiple blatant warning signs,
and/or fail to do even the most basic due-diligence before sending large sums of money to strangers over the internet, via wire transfer.

Here we have a relatively new eBay seller with 1 single seller-feedback rating for a low-dollar item, who uses stolen pics, and requests payment by wire.

Here is a current listing from the seller for another Submariner.

Here is a closed auction from a reputable seller using those same pics.

It took me all of about 30 seconds to find.

(Will be zapping the fraudsters listing shortly).

Again, sorry OP. Hopefully others can/will take heed.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:35 AM   #6
CKizzy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tachymeter
ebay...enough said!
CKizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 05:40 AM   #7
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefly View Post
Never like seeing these posts, and they don't seem to be getting any less frequent!

Sorry OP, your money is gone (unless you can miraculously stop/reverse the wire).

I really don't want to rub salt in the wound, but it never ceases to amaze me how otherwise intelligent folks can bypass multiple blatant warning signs,
and/or fail to do even the most basic due-diligence before sending large sums of money to strangers over the internet, via wire transfer.

Here we have a relatively new eBay seller with 1 single seller-feedback rating for a low-dollar item, who uses stolen pics, and requests payment by wire.

Here is a current listing from the seller for another Submariner.

Here is a closed auction from a reputable seller using those same pics.

Reported Good Work
Old 6 April 2020, 06:25 AM   #8
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Auction was ended by eBay
No one duped this time
Good work Eric in researching stolen photos
Old 6 April 2020, 06:35 AM   #9
jurob
"TRF" Member

I feel your pain, but nothing about it seems obvious when they will take substantially less than its worth. I’m guessing you made a transaction outside of eBay and agreed to pay less than half of retail which you wired.

I guess this is his newest ad that he will get someone to wire him money for

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Subma...cAAOSwtZpeiZSH
jurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 06:48 AM   #10
vinlesposito
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You’re totally right on all of this stuff and I did some digging on ebay to try to find the watch that I was dealing with. Seller was able to provide additional pics that I still havent been able to find elsewhere, even after I bugged out and scrubbed all the forums. Fact of the matter is that hindsight is 20/20 and I got screwed. I’ve reported the seller to ebay and been in communications with customer service. The rep has read through all of our messages but essentially can’t do anything as they treat it as a private sale. Last attempt is to talk with the bank tomorrow, but again not very hopeful.

I hate to be one of those “man sucks for that guy” stories, especially after reading so many of them. Just got a little over ambitious and too trusting of information being sent my people online.
Old 6 April 2020, 06:48 AM   #11
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurob View Post
I feel your pain, but nothing about it seems obvious when they will take substantially less than its worth. I’m guessing you made a transaction outside of eBay and agreed to pay less than half of retail which you wired.

I guess this is his newest ad that he will get someone to wire him money for

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-Subma...cAAOSwtZpeiZSH
Although I could not find where he stole these photos from - I strongly suspect they are
So I reported it and the member
Adam
Old 6 April 2020, 08:55 AM   #12
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

And Removed
A
Old 6 April 2020, 09:41 AM   #13
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Too bad you did didn’t protect yourself as a buyer - AMX & pay pal - sorry to hear :-((
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:12 PM   #14
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

OP paid for the watch via wire outside Ebay contrary to their rules. All to save a few $$. No PP or credit card protections. Unfortunately this buyer is SOL.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 12:38 PM   #15
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Never did understand why people allow themselves to be commanded to send cash to a complete stranger knowing full well they will probably never get the merchandise.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 02:48 PM   #16
U5512
"TRF" Member

Greed will always overruled rational thinking 100% of the time.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 04:06 AM   #17
vinlesposito
"TRF" Member

Just to update everyone who have been helpful in soothing my stupidity:

1) this seller still has items up for auction, i have been reporting them as they pop up so be aware of this active scammer

2) my bank (BoA) has opened an investigation on the wire, have issued a fund recall to the sellers bank and the fraud team has copies of all of my messages with the seller. If the sellers bank does not get approval to reverse funds (not hopeful here) they will issue a hold on the sellers account.

So, to anyone who is foolish enough to fall into what is now blatantly a trap, don’t give up as the banks seem better equipped to deal with these items.
Old 7 April 2020, 04:07 AM   #18
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:

1) this seller still has items up for auction, i have been reporting them as they pop up so be aware of this active scammer

2) my bank (BoA) has opened an investigation on the wire, have issued a fund recall to the sellers bank and the fraud team has copies of all of my messages with the seller. If the sellers bank does not get approval to reverse funds (not hopeful here) they will issue a hold on the sellers account.

So, to anyone who is foolish enough to fall into what is now blatantly a trap, don’t give up as the banks seem better equipped to deal with these items.
Good Luck
Old 7 April 2020, 04:41 AM   #19
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
And how does your bank (and the sellers bank) know that you are not scamming the seller? Or for that matter, the both of you could be working together to scam the bank. Emails and texts can be easily faked if both parties are in on it.

This is why the bank has to be extra cautious of people like you who willingly wire money to an unknown and unverifiable destination, intentionally circumvent eBay and all payment protection plans, and avoid using a proper credit card that offers a layer of protection as well and then have the audacity to file a complaint that "you had no clue in the world" that you could be getting scammed.

I also have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Get the wire ready.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 07:51 AM   #20
U5512
"TRF" Member

eBay seller "dianajones2013" is currently has 2 Rolex Submariner watches for sell with a bunch of people bidding on them:

item 184241087365
item 184241120853
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 10:24 AM   #21
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Good luck bro-made!

Old 7 April 2020, 12:09 PM   #22
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
eBay seller "dianajones2013" is currently has 2 Rolex Submariner watches for sell with a bunch of people bidding on them:

item 184241087365
item 184241120853
Both reported/removed.
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2020, 06:30 PM   #23
mr.constantine
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270, 5513
Quote:
Both reported/removed.
The 1978 5513 is up again, item#184242899908
I got a message from dianajones2013, asking for 9000GBP buy it now.
mr.constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 04:17 AM   #24
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.constantine View Post
The 1978 5513 is up again, item#184242899908
I got a message from dianajones2013, asking for 9000GBP buy it now.
I reported the member - with all past history
Lets see
Old 9 April 2020, 09:53 AM   #25
Recondope
"TRF" Member

Now they have a blinged out Franck Muller Vanguard for sale with people actively bidding on it.
Recondope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 April 2020, 01:06 PM   #26
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recondope View Post
Now they have a blinged out Franck Muller Vanguard for sale with people actively bidding on it.

They are relentless and shameless!

Old 9 April 2020, 11:45 PM   #27
vinlesposito
"TRF" Member

Thanks for flagging the 5513 listing, I took dated screengrabs and reported. Funny that they are now saying no shipping to the USA
Old 10 April 2020, 03:19 AM   #28
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

I tried and tried but I could not find where he stole those photos from.
So my evidence is weak, to get him banned as a member.
I even searched the serial number and the photos - no hits!

Maybe Eric can find >>??
Old 10 April 2020, 03:55 AM   #29
vinlesposito
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADIATOR View Post
I tried and tried but I could not find where he stole those photos from.
So my evidence is weak, to get him banned as a member.
I even searched the serial number and the photos - no hits!

Maybe Eric can find >>??
Most of the photos seem to have come from a member's posting on VRF, I can PM you the post if you would like. The rest must have come from a listing elsewhere as the VRF member had not posted the side profile photos.
Old 10 April 2020, 04:38 AM   #30
GLADIATOR
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Most of the photos seem to have come from a member's posting on VRF, I can PM you the post if you would like. The rest must have come from a listing elsewhere as the VRF member had not posted the side profile photos.
Hi if you can find a link to photos of those I will get him closed a MEMBER