The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 19 October 2017, 12:53 AM   #31
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I can't believe you would seriously consider purchasing an item of that expense from ebay in the UK. It is full of scammers and fakes items.

You (like me) obviously don't know enough about spotting fakes to be taking the chance - let alone the massive possibility of it being stolen.

Pay the extra and purchase from a reputable dealer.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:16 AM   #32
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by malb85 View Post
If you're not sure that it's worth spending 7k on the watch, my guess is you don't love it enough to want to pull the trigger....

Don't forget, having a Rolex is pretty close to having money in the bank. Can you chop it in the next day at a small loss back to WF.
Pretty sure it won't be a small loss. For wf to buy back I'd suggest they'd offer between 5,500-6,000 on a watch they'd have up for 7k (and I speak from experience).

That said, you should be able to get a ton off easily and having bought a number of watches from them have never had any issues.

In fact the best way to buy might be over the website. They deliver to you and you get a 14 day no quibble refund in case you change your mind.....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:19 AM   #33
malb85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Pretty sure it won't be a small loss. For wf to buy back I'd suggest they'd offer between 5,500-6,000 on a watch they'd have up for 7k (and I speak from experience).

That said, you should be able to get a ton off easily and having bought a number of watches from them have never had any issues.

In fact the best way to buy might be over the website. They deliver to you and you get a 14 day no quibble refund in case you change your mind.....

I lost 500 on a TT Daytona and 1000 on a AP panda (I got both from them and
Had them around a year)

Personally, I don’t think that’s TOO bad, but I’m sure others may disagree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
malb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:20 AM   #34
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanInLeeds View Post
I've a watch that I need to sell relatively quickly to help cover the cost of my new purchase. I'd saved up nearly enough money to buy my 116500 but was hoping the shortfall would be covered by trading in my old one at the AD, but they simply didn't want or need it.

Watchfinder have offered me what I consider to be well below what it's worth - and I'm not being greedy, I do appreciate WF et al have overheads and need to make a profit - but what are you supposed to do? I've not been on here really long enough and I doubt my watch is exclusive enough to sell on here anyway, so the only real option for me and I suspect many others is Fleabay...
Try Blowers, Mark Worthington and Chronext to get an idea of the market rate, doubt WF would be much below all these, usually higher in my experience esp on Rolex.

Stolen is definitely a concern, so buying from a dealer who will be culpable rather than an individual is important.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:21 AM   #35
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Had them around a year)

Indeed not. That's not bad at all. I guess the model you are looking to sell obvs make a difference.....
Old 19 October 2017, 03:25 AM   #36
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Had them around a year)

Considering the retails of both you've done very well, and as it has got you to the RGRC you've had a right result.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:28 AM   #37
malb85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Considering the retails of both you've done very well, and as it has got you to the RGRC you've had a right result.

I think I got them both at a fairly good price in the first place, and between family and recommendations to friends , I’ve put quite a bit of business their way this year which always helps.

My guess would be if I ever flipped the RG ROO, I’d have to take a bit of a loss on that however (not that it’s ever going!)

Old 19 October 2017, 03:34 AM   #38
Quailhunter
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
Possibilities are a watch is stolen, 100% fake, has non-Rolex parts, or is totally authentic. Buying from an AD eliminate the first three possibilities. To me that's worth the extra cost.
Quailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 03:51 AM   #39
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Ive got one word when it comes to grey market rolex...or any other watch for that matter...xupes....1st class ask for Josh hes fantastic.
Macnavara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 05:55 AM   #40
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Hi!

1) If you buy on eBay and follow the steps of the eBay money back guarantee you'll be fully covered for your purchase price and associated postage cost.
2) Private sellers will be offered 20-30% below RRP if they were to walk-in to sell to the brick and mortar watch traders. Why not, it never hurts to ask.

In any case it would be wise to always have the watch inspected by a reliable third party when not buying from an authorised dealer. And always ask questions before you buy, not after.

You're welcome.
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 09:24 AM   #41
errol0_7
"TRF" Member

Watch: them come and go
The way things are going with pre owned prices I would go to the ad - david m Robinson is my ad of choice only good dealings with them

Stay away from large grey market vendors pushing the prices of pre owned up and over polishing the pieces often comprising the case shape

Just my experiences
YM 40 126622 Rhodium
IWC Portugieser Automatic 40.4mm - Pink dial
errol0_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 09:45 AM   #42
bobby81
"TRF" Member

I think there are enough Grey Dealer's in the UK to get the Watch you want instead of taking a chance on eBay. I personally would not buy on eBay too many risks. With Grey Dealer's you have peace of mind that your getting the real deal. You hear too many horror stories about purchasing on eBay. I myself have travelled to the UK to purchase the two Rolexes I have once last year & once this year & even taking into account the price of the flight & conversion rate I saved in excess of 4,000 Euros & I will be taking another trip over across the pond next year for another Rolex. If you do your research properly there's bargains to be had in the UK. I have used the same Grey Dealer on both occasions I was in the market for a new Rolex & I am very happy with both the service I received & the Watches & will be going back to them next year. Do yourself a favour & use trusted dealer's & stay away from eBay
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 10:07 AM   #43
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
I think there are enough Grey Dealer's in the UK to get the Watch you want instead of taking a chance on eBay. I personally would not buy on eBay too many risks. With Grey Dealer's you have peace of mind that your getting the real deal. You hear too many horror stories about purchasing on eBay. I myself have travelled to the UK to purchase the two Rolexes I have once last year & once this year & even taking into account the price of the flight & conversion rate I saved in excess of 4,000 Euros & I will be taking another trip over across the pond next year for another Rolex. If you do your research properly there's bargains to be had in the UK. I have used the same Grey Dealer on both occasions I was in the market for a new Rolex & I am very happy with both the service I received & the Watches & will be going back to them next year. Do yourself a favour & use trusted dealer's & stay away from eBay
A lot of people are talking about Watchfinder & other Grey Dealer's, the Grey Dealer I have used was Iconicwatches in Blackburn & anything I say about them is all good from their personal service to price
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 10:23 AM   #44
WEST HAM ROLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT LN/SD43/D Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex37 View Post
Hello All,

I'm in the market for a datejust 41mm. I've seen a few for prices between £7,200 - 7,800 for a Wimbledon dial.

I've noticed that there are some private sellers on eBay. Now here are my concerns:

1. What if the item isn't genuine? If I pay via PayPal am I covered?
2. I assume the private seller would have tried to sell to dealers, what sort of price would he/ she get? Are we talking 60-70% of he RRP? And can I use this to negotiate?

I hope that these questions are not breaking any forum rules and thanks in advance for help.

Rolex37
But, It's just what you pay,,,is it?
What about after sales service...?

I bought a GMT LN from Watchfinder which had the one year warrenty.
After 15 months it started to lose a few minutes a week. I took it to Royal Exchange where I purchased it. The guy in the shop sent it to their Service dept and they serviced it and now it's perfect

And,,,,at NO CHARGE

So, if I got off Ebay - would I get this service?
WEST HAM ROLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2017, 12:05 PM   #45
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i tend to agree, but still do your research first. Perfect example is there is a well known store in Burlington arcade who deals in grey market Rolex and i was there yesterday looking at a BNIB sea dweller 43. It didn't have a glide lock clasp. I questioned this and the response is "that is the latest clasp".

It was not WF, btw
What clasp did it have? That’s odd as only the SD43 and the SS sky Dweller have the new wider clasp and I doubt they’d have swapped it for a sky Dweller easylink clasp?

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:22 PM   #46
rolex37
"TRF" Member

116333 black

Hi All,

Bought the watch from WF, they also sold it to me at the price I wanted :).

Very happy with the watch, just need to get a Rolex box for it now.
rolex37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:26 PM   #47
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Excellent. Let's see some pics
Old 21 October 2017, 06:58 PM   #48
bp1000
"TRF" Member

How much in the end?

I trust these guys, really good to deal with too. But seems about a k more than what you were after

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...er-126333.html
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 06:59 PM   #49
malb85
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1000 View Post
How much in the end?

I trust these guys, really good to deal with too. But seems about a k more than what you were after

http://www.iconicwatches.co.uk/rolex...er-126333.html

I’ve bought from iconic watches before, came from an AD in Italy

Old 21 October 2017, 07:29 PM   #50
Boothy84
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR, DJ
I purchased a 36mm DJ from iconic watches some years ago, mine was originally from an AD in Bulgaria which shocked me!
Boothy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:38 PM   #51
rolex37
"TRF" Member

I paid 7k. That's what I wanted to pay and the manager of the store honoured it.
rolex37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2017, 09:39 PM   #52
malb85
"TRF" Member

We need pics

Old 21 October 2017, 10:49 PM   #53
ciderman
"TRF" Member

Another + for Richard Brockman at Watchfinder, Purchased an Exp 11 Polar from him last year and he couldnt have been more helpful.
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 11:13 PM   #54
matthewbell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 + 16600
Yet another plus for Richard Brockman. Bought two and sold (part-ex) one through him and all couldn't have been more straight forward.
matthewbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay , united kingdom