The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 July 2018, 01:06 AM   #1
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Understanding Panerai

I'm really on the fence about buying my first Panerai. I've always been intrigued, but never interested enough to purchase given their large size and the disproportional look it would display on my wrist.

My perceived PROS:

-- Daily-use factor, Affordability, Choice of bands

My perceived CONS & Questions:

-- Generic movement (Do they now make only inhouse, or must one still buy a certain model or pay a certain price for exclusively in house?). I'm hesitant to pay $5k+ for a modified ETA anything.

-- Many write that "44mm"" is a do-no-wrong size for value. Are the 42mm models really such an inferior choice?

-- What are the typical service intervals and cost?

-- Can anyone provide a link to easily understanding the classifications of the models and what means what?? I am thoroughly confused about the numbers. XXX number, and XXX number, etc.... I've read that the models are only in limited quantities (like 1,000 or 2,000)? Is this true? How could they then produce so many thousands of watches per year and what differentiates them - especially for base models?
dunajska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 01:52 AM   #2
DahMan
Banned

I too am confused regarding the brands offering, and nomenclature. That’s hy I stayed away, also don’t want a 44mm, monster. Now that I wrote this, I’m happy with my decision.
DahMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 02:33 AM   #3
webprotege
"TRF" Member

PAMs wear big by design. Nothing wrong with the slightly oversized look of the 44mm on a smaller wrist however try to refrain from the lugs hanging over the wrist. Some have a thicker/taller presence due to the domed crystal so check that too if you are trying to wear under sleeves of a shirt/jacket. The 42mm variants look the same but do wear a tad smaller even being just 2mm smaller as they are nit as thick. I had a 524 that I adored however never wore it, like you are concerned, due to the overall size since the lugs were at the point of overhang. I have a 537 (42mm) and wear this one proudly. Strap choices are limitless!
webprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 02:46 AM   #4
WJGESQ
Banned

With an ETA movement-your just buying a fashion piece. No bragging rights or cool factor. It’s akin to buying a Ferrari with a Chevy v8.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 03:43 AM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
With an ETA movement-your just buying a fashion piece. No bragging rights or cool factor. It’s akin to buying a Ferrari with a Chevy v8.

This is really the opposite of “understanding Panerai”.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 04:44 AM   #6
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

i would say clueless....the 232/249 to name a few are not just chevy's

although i did get a chuckle out of that uninformed comment.

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 03:57 AM   #7
nick c
Banned

Quote:

No Eta goes like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2018, 09:47 AM   #8
sunnyd
"TRF" Member

Watch: me watch you
Quote:
So by your logic, newer Aston Martins and Paganis aren't cool? They both run AMG engines under the hood...
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2018, 10:13 AM   #9
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyd View Post
So by your logic, newer Aston Martins and Paganis aren't cool? They both run AMG engines under the hood...

Outsourcing major components always raise concerns, particularly when "heritage" is part of the purchasing motivation.

In the case of Aston, it also impacts resell value. The OP can and should buy whatever he wants, but many would be hesitant to pay big money for an ETA movement.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2018, 04:56 PM   #10
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not a flipper, I keep my watches, so eventually they all need servicing. When possible, I specifically buy models with ETA movements because I know they can be easily and affordably serviced by any independent watchmaker, and that parts will always be available. In addition, they are tough, reliable movements.

Keep your bragging rights and cool factor, I have no use for them.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 02:59 AM   #11
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

If you like the fit and feel of a 42mm Panerai, then by all means get one. The reason the 42mm (and white dial) Panerai watches are looked down upon is because their resell value is lower. They are less emblematic of the classic Panerai watches.

I own three Panerai ranging from 44mm-47mm. Typically the Luminor cases are preferred in 44mm size. This was the standard case size from the "pre-Vendome" models of the 90s and early 00s. The Luminor 1950 case tends to be preferred in the 47mm size (though the PAM 233 is 44mm and is a fan favorite as well). Radiomirs are preferred to be between 45-47mm as well. The Luminor 1950 and Radiomir cases are from their respective decades and had very oversized cases for the time as they were practical diving tools.

I initially fell in love with Panerai, then fell out of love, sold off two pieces, then came back to the brand last year purchasing three Panerai. They are robust; their cases and craftsmanship are on par with Rolex, IWC, etc. I don't think a 44mm+ watch is practical for everyone. If I had a smaller collection I am not as sure I would have as many, if any, Panerai. I like the three I have as part of a 10 watch collection that is Rolex heavy, but includes an Omega and IWC. My Panerai tend to be my statement pieces with my 47mm Radiomir 1940 being the most massive. If I am being honest, my GMT-Master II and my Speedmaster probably get the most daily wear of all my brands and references.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 05:19 AM   #12
Cryten
"TRF" Member

There are some limited production Panerai watches, but most are numbered by production year. So when you see M0244/1000 on the back it means it is number 244 of 1000 watches produced in 2010 (the M code). What you need to realise is there are likely J K L M N and O years in that model and 1000 were made each year, so it is anything but limited.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 01:20 PM   #13
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
i would say clueless....the 232/249 to name a few are not just chevy's

although i did get a chuckle out of that uninformed comment.
Not surprising, really. He has a habit of making such statements and they're not limited to Panerai

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2018, 09:52 PM   #14
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Not surprising, really. He has a habit of making such statements and they're not limited to Panerai
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2018, 03:44 PM   #15
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

As a recent convert, all I would say is go and try them out.

Then try to resist. I have a 390 and 233.
Old 3 July 2018, 12:45 AM   #16
Frankie13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbeer7 View Post

I couldn't resist the 233
Frankie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 01:19 AM   #17
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
Quote:

This.

Once you get bitten by the Panerai bug, forget about it...........they are more addictive as a brand than any other I've encountered so far.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a blue dial 44m titanium (or BMG big tech) sub in the coming couple of years
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2018, 03:00 PM   #18
Saoirse32
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
This.

Once you get bitten by the Panerai bug, forget about it...........they are more addictive as a brand than any other I've encountered so far.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a blue dial 44m titanium (or BMG big tech) sub in the coming couple of years
Yup^^
ROLEX Sea-Dweller Mk1 (126600)
ROLEX DeepSea D-Blue (136660)
OMEGA Speedmaster “Silver Snoopy Award” (310.32.42.50.02.001)
OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M 75th Anniversary (210.30.42.20.03.003)
IWC Chronograph Top Gun Edition “Woodland” (IW389106)
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2018, 12:59 PM   #19
blacke90
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP||Panerai||Rolex
I couldn’t agree with you more on catching the “Panerai bug”. With Panerai, the fun part is trying to fine one that has all your needs and wants (Sausage vs sandwich dial, second hand, gmt, and etc.). I never recommend Panerai to anyone as their first “nice” watch. “Nice” meaning anything over $5K. To anyone who dislike Panerai, I suggest they try it on again or at least try it on once before dismissing it. Try the Luminor Dur too while at it. I initially dislike Panerai until I tried it on. Somehow Panerai grows on you without you realizing it. You either get it or you don’t. Trust me, I was that guy who would roll my eyes dismissively when I see someone wearing it. I thought it was obnoxious to wear such a big watch; I just don’t get it. It bothered me enough to where I started studying Panerai history and reviewed their product line. And now I really appreciate the design and uniqueness. Is it going to retain its value like Rolex DD, DJ, GMT, I don’t think so at this time. Does it have the refinement as a PP and Lange, I don’t think so either. But hey collecting watches should be fun. And looking at my Panerai (shall I say everytime) brings smiles to my face. - Who would have thought as someone who loves and collects vintage DJ and bubblebacks ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
This.

blacke90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2018, 02:29 AM   #20
aperna
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
I couldn’t agree with you more on catching the “Panerai bug”. With Panerai, the fun part is trying to fine one that has all your needs and wants (Sausage vs sandwich dial, second hand, gmt, and etc.). I never recommend Panerai to anyone as their first “nice” watch. “Nice” meaning anything over $5K. To anyone who dislike Panerai, I suggest they try it on again or at least try it on once before dismissing it. Try the Luminor Dur too while at it. I initially dislike Panerai until I tried it on. Somehow Panerai grows on you without you realizing it. You either get it or you don’t. Trust me, I was that guy who would roll my eyes dismissively when I see someone wearing it. I thought it was obnoxious to wear such a big watch; I just don’t get it. It bothered me enough to where I started studying Panerai history and reviewed their product line. And now I really appreciate the design and uniqueness. Is it going to retain its value like Rolex DD, DJ, GMT, I don’t think so at this time. Does it have the refinement as a PP and Lange, I don’t think so either. But hey collecting watches should be fun. And looking at my Panerai (shall I say everytime) brings smiles to my face. - Who would have thought as someone who loves and collects vintage DJ and bubblebacks ;)

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aperna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2018, 06:20 AM   #21
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacke90 View Post
This, this, this and this.
Old 3 July 2018, 07:01 AM   #22
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is one of my points. Will the brand come out with effectively the same model/number the following year but just "renumber" it?
Old 3 July 2018, 07:29 AM   #23
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunajska View Post
This is one of my points. Will the brand come out with effectively the same model/number the following year but just "renumber" it?
No, they are all slightly different. The 390 is stand-alone by virtue of gold hands, tobacco base dial and manual wind.
Old 3 July 2018, 05:34 AM   #24
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Just saying ;)
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 285081A9-A274-459F-B86A-90B9880D357E.jpeg (193.0 KB, 918 views)
File Type: jpeg C9A7B619-1EDC-455B-A0EF-2DE55CFAAE0C.jpeg (200.3 KB, 915 views)
Old 3 July 2018, 07:03 AM   #25
dunajska
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just saying ;)

Regarding their GMT models, I've seen one like yours - whereby there is only the second hour hand, and one that also has an am/pm indicator.

For the one in this photo (without the indicator), does the second hour hand make a rotation every 12 hours or 24?
Old 3 July 2018, 07:32 AM   #26
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunajska View Post
Regarding their GMT models, I've seen one like yours - whereby there is only the second hour hand, and one that also has an am/pm indicator.

For the one in this photo (without the indicator), does the second hour hand make a rotation every 12 hours or 24?
12 hours, but it has a dot dial which indicates day (white dot) as shown in my image above under seconds hand and at night the dot is black. My version is the first version before the am/pm dial.
Old 3 July 2018, 03:24 PM   #27
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

Understanding Panerai

I owned a 512 (42mm Radiomir) and a 510 (44mm Luminor). Sold both - too small.

Was afraid a 47mm would be too large but that’s part of the Panerai charm. Bought a 557 on plexi and that’ll likely be my last Panerai, ticks all the right boxes.
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 01:30 PM   #28
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

Nothing wrong with a 42mm Panerai-- 682, 392 & 512 are all very nice
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 02:23 PM   #29
Soleless Shoes
"TRF" Member

I wear both a 47mm (423) and a 42mm (684)
Soleless Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2018, 09:34 PM   #30
rockmastermike
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1982 16750
I have owned and enjoyed Luminors, Submersibles and Radiomirs over the years ranging from 44 to 47. My current daily is the 42mm Ref 682 and I am in love with the proportions.

As mentioned earlier - of you have access to retailers I very much recommend trying on different cases and sizes - there is a large variety and I think you will find the right one for you.
rockmastermike is offline   Reply With Quote