The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 December 2018, 02:52 PM   #31
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Ok Chilly Coconut I stand to be corrected for throwing those into the "super hot mix" but if your the guy around me when you truly can't find any SS models at six + ADs lit's just as hot as anything. There are literally wait lists going for Explls. Zero SS to be found.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2018, 02:55 PM   #32
rominvicta
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: DSSD, BLNR, SM, GM
Wait until news from Basel 2019 spread around. Most likey 116710LN will get out of sight and new 126710LN will be introduced. Curious price wise where will it head up to?
rominvicta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 02:45 AM   #33
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
The LN is equally as nice as the BLNR. I tried on a BLNR for the first time on Wednesday and realized it was indistinguishable form the LN at 3ft away. Nice? Absolutely. Worth the mark up? Not for me.
There’s definitely something in store with the LN next year starting with the new movement. I was going to pick up my third LN (always flipped for a different toy) a couple of weeks ago but paying premium for a “previous gen movement” didn’t seem right, so I’m holding tight for Basel. A 126710 LN on Jubilee would be a perfect set for me.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2018, 01:52 PM   #34
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Having seen all three versions of SS GMTIICs I prefer the LN to the BLNR and the BLRO, though the BLRO is catching up. I don’t think there’s no love for the LN, just a lot more LNs out there for people to love.

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:19 AM   #35
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

If I wanted all black bezel I'd get a sub or SD (actually I have SD4K) instead of GMT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:47 AM   #36
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras47 View Post
Individual tastes aside, the Pepsi version has all the cachet. Two-tone bezels are novel whereas all black bezels are common. I'm guessing that if somebody wants a black bezel with he gets a Submariner. There are not that many people who buy GMTs anyway, and far fewer that eschew the colored bezels for plain black. For those folks who want a bit of both, there is the BLRN.
We are not always talking about the bezel colors for GMT models. The material of bezel insert (either aluminum for the vintage or ceramic for the modern) is also an important factor to choose GMT watches.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 04:56 AM   #37
JRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominvicta View Post
Wait until news from Basel 2019 spread around. Most likey 116710LN will get out of sight and new 126710LN will be introduced. Curious price wise where will it head up to?
It is quite impossible to raise its price a lot compared with 126710BLRO and 126710BLNR, if any.
Old 17 December 2018, 05:07 AM   #38
JRT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHISTORY View Post
The LN is equally as nice as the BLNR. I tried on a BLNR for the first time on Wednesday and realized it was indistinguishable form the LN at 3ft away. Nice? Absolutely. Worth the mark up? Not for me.
There’s definitely something in store with the LN next year starting with the new movement. I was going to pick up my third LN (always flipped for a different toy) a couple of weeks ago but paying premium for a “previous gen movement” didn’t seem right, so I’m holding tight for Basel. A 126710 LN on Jubilee would be a perfect set for me.
Why do you need your watch to be distinguishable at 3ft away? The best distance to love or enjoy your watch is from one foot (or less) away, isn't it?

How do you know the LN with a new movement is available in the coming year?
Old 17 December 2018, 06:06 AM   #39
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

TBH i probably wouldn't have the BLRO if i didn't already have the LN. I love the BLRO but the LN is classic and more versatile to me than any of the colored bezels. It is a go anywhere, do anything watch and its much more understated.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:26 AM   #40
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

2 reasons, BLNR & Black Sub. Not saying it’s not a popular model but most people will either go for the BLNR if shopping for a GMT, and the others will go for the Sub if shopping for a black SS sports model. They are going up in price though, before the shortage you could pick one up pre owned for low 6’s.
Old 17 December 2018, 08:48 AM   #41
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by kegan View Post
This is a good thing, the LN has for the most part been the least effected by the current
Rolex madness. The fact that 16710s are trading for a premium over them is simple.
Rolex will never make a reference that great ever again.
Yep. Aluminium awesomeness will never be repeated. Funny because they weren't considered that great in early 2011 when I got mine. 16610s were about £5-600 more. It was when bi-colour ceramic came out that they went nuts. Unfortunately LN has taken a back seat now as a result.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 12:30 PM   #42
DHISTORY
"TRF" Member

Watch: enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRT View Post
Why do you need your watch to be distinguishable at 3ft away? The best distance to love or enjoy your watch is from one foot (or less) away, isn't it?

How do you know the LN with a new movement is available in the coming year?

It was an observation, plus, I like matching my watches to my outfits.
If the BLRO has a new movement, it is only logical for them to put them on all their GMT models.
DHISTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:29 PM   #43
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
TBH i probably wouldn't have the BLRO if i didn't already have the LN. I love the BLRO but the LN is classic and more versatile to me than any of the colored bezels. It is a go anywhere, do anything watch and its much more understated.
Agreed 100%
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:37 PM   #44
watchamatic
"TRF" Member

The LN does look too close to a sub to the untrained eye. I prefer the BNLR myself.
watchamatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:40 PM   #45
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Coconut View Post
My personal opinion, if I’m going to get a black bezeled Rolex sports watch, it’s going to be a Sub. The colored bezels are what set the GMT apart from the Sub aesthetically....in addition to the 24 hour hand, functionally.

I have an all-black insert for my 16710, but invariably, it’s wearing either the BLRO or red/black insert.
Now I’m the opposite. I have four 16710’s in all bezel variations and the LN is the most versatile of the bunch to my eyes, and I spent many years wearing them all and still do.
When I bought a ceramic GMT it was a choice between the BLNR and the LN and I went LN for the same reason that I wore the 5 digit LN the most. One tires of coloured bezels quicker than you may think and a LN bezel is timeless.
I do not own and likely never will own a sub because the LN is the more versatile of the two references.
I wear my ceramic LN on a brushed sub bracelet I bought in addition to the watch at time of purchase.

I don’t agree with the OP there is no love for the LN. As has already been stated, there is just hype around the bi-colour bezels which certainly wasn’t around 10+ years ago in the 5 digit days. It’s a passing fad, nothing more. In 10 years from now, BLNR, Pepsi, CHNR or even ceramic coke if they ever release it won’t matter. The LN is still the most versatile and classic looking GMT money can buy without the hype, and is the better watch for it. In my experience, LN Gmt’s Are just more ‘wearable’ in every day life without a coloured bezel in your wrist which screams ‘look at me’!

When you’ve worn bi-colour bezel GMT’s as much as I have, you don’t get sucked in by the hype. I do like the TT CHNR but wouldn’t trade my LN for one nor ever pay over MSRP for any of them. I can’t see Rolex ever discontinuing the Black bezel GMT, but as in the past, I can with the others.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2018, 08:41 PM   #46
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchamatic View Post
The LN does look too close to a sub to the untrained eye. I prefer the BNLR myself.
i agree and because hardly anyone uses a sub for actual diving it always confuses me based on function why a sub is the more popular choice. Most people actually travel at least occasionally
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 01:24 AM   #47
Speed
"TRF" Member

Why no love for 116710 GMT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opawlows View Post
Out of curiosity where are you seeing it being sold at a discount?

Exactly!

All retailers I known are out. Months before the LN may come in.

I sent a good friend wanting one for her husband to my favorite TS. The price was slightly above retail, but better over all as she didn’t have to pay sales tax.

Further, it’s the most versatile GMTIIC out there.

And why are the Pepsi and Blue/ Black popular? They’re the latest. Simple as that.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:05 AM   #48
Chilly Coconut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
And why are the Pepsi and Blue/ Black popular? They’re the latest. Simple as that.
I disagree with that logic. The black insert came later to the 16710, yet the Coke and Pepsi variants remained far more popular. Latest does not automatically equate to most popular. The all-black GMT has always taken a back seat to the Sub. It’s the colored bezels that really distinguish the GMT and set it apart from the Sub, aesthetically. They’ve always been more popular than all-black GMT inserts. Simple as that.
Chilly Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 02:58 AM   #49
exador
Banned

Out of the 147 BNIB LNs selling on Chrono24, only one is under MSRP so there must still be some love out there...
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #50
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I got my Ceramic GMT from Bobs, practically brand new, with box and papers for 8k around August.
When I saw that price, I had to jump on it.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2018, 03:54 AM   #51
NorthCoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 2 116710LN
Love mine - prefer it to BLNR and BLRO, but I'm an under the radar guy.
NorthCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote