The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 March 2019, 10:58 PM   #61
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
Well DavidSW removed all the BLNR's and LN's from the website , and he had a few last night, that might give you an idea.
Tells me he's figuring out the best way to jack up prices. Problem is at times like this a secondary seller can just slap whatever price on they want and the market assumes it's valued correctly. Wish i could do that in my business
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:00 PM   #62
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
LOL Of course they are going to do that. All gray dealers are experts at twisting every single thing to make the most money off people.

To me its stupid to pick the old one. Its like choosing a car with a old dated engine rather than having one with the latest and greatest with bigger power output. The physical car is the same, and the wheels are different (in this case the bracelet). LOL
not exactly the same comparison. its more like a new ferrari coming out, and the existing one was a limited production, but has a worse gas mileage. Both look the same except for the rims and the new model is selling for double its price. Wonder what happens with the current one.
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:01 PM   #63
Mr_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116710BLNR
The current Batman?

Quote:
LOL Of course they are going to do that. All gray dealers are experts at twisting every single thing to make the most money off people.

To me its stupid to pick the old one. Its like choosing a car with a old dated engine rather than having one with the latest and greatest with bigger power output. The physical car is the same, and the wheels are different (in this case the bracelet). LOL

I think I will have to disagree. To you it may be stupid but everyone has there own preference. I much prefer the oyster strap. I’ve never been a fan of the jubilee and I will definently not buy a watch just because it has a newer movement. I go for what I like the look of. And why are you comparing time peices with cars?? Never understood that concept lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:02 PM   #64
danny1305
"TRF" Member

Quote:
IMHO you'd be a fool to pay more money for the same watch aesthetically and not get the new Jubilee and new updated movement.

The movement alone is worth ALOT. And I honestly prefer the Jubilee its 100x more comfy since the BLNR doesnt have micro adjuster anyway.
You are in every single one of these threads calling people fools for not having the same opinion as you lol. Almost as if you are trying to convince yourself of something...
danny1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:02 PM   #65
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercoach32 View Post
I’m as laid back as they come and a “to each his own” guy, but I just don’t understand why Rolex puts a jubilee on a sport watch. The jubilee is the quintessential dress bracelet, if there is such a thing, and slapped it on another sports model. To me, it’s like wearing sneakers with a suit. It might be trendy right now but in 10 years people are going to look back and think, “What were they thinking? That looks ridiculous.”
Agree here its very odd to me.
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:04 PM   #66
Banks
"TRF" Member

Local grey just bumped prices up to 14.5k pound sterling!
Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:08 PM   #67
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rolex View Post
I think I will have to disagree. To you it may be stupid but everyone has there own preference. I much prefer the oyster strap. I’ve never been a fan of the jubilee and I will definently not buy a watch just because it has a newer movement. I go for what I like the look of. And why are you comparing time peices with cars?? Never understood that concept lol

Maybe the Oyster LN will come next year. Would be smart by Rolex because demand imo would be equal to the BLRO and BLNR Jubilees if the LN is Oyster
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:11 PM   #68
Mr_Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Maybe the Oyster LN will come next year. Would be smart by Rolex because demand imo would be equal to the BLRO and BLNR Jubilees if the LN is Oyster

True. If they do then I will be making sure I get my hands on that lol

Mr_Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:11 PM   #69
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely down. Not discontinued, just comes with better movement and different bracelet, could also just find an oyster and have the exact same watch

Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:12 PM   #70
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Values will drop from here. End the madness!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:16 PM   #71
Ropa131
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I can still buy a 2017 Batman full set for $11,500...decisions decisions

Ropa131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #72
Steel28
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrii_ View Post
Up for sure.

Ppl like sports watches on oyster.

Og Batman is now a short run classic.
That’s exactly right.
Old 20 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #73
arcentaur
"TRF" Member

arcentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:24 PM   #74
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Luis View Post
The "Batman" will probably (IMO), stay at current prices while the 2019 "Dark Knight" will pull a 2018 "Pepsi"! LOL...
Won't take credit "Dark Knight" name, cause I read it HERE awhile ago. But I sure hope that nickname sticks!
Dork Knight
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:33 PM   #75
feb29
Banned

The "old" BLNR become classic and always be the first/original model with the first produced bi-color ceramic bezel. That said, the "old" BLNR is a collectible piece and will only go up in value.
feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:36 PM   #76
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i’m as laid back as they come and a “to each his own” guy, but i just don’t understand why rolex puts a jubilee on a sport watch. The jubilee is the quintessential dress bracelet, if there is such a thing, and slapped it on another sports model. To me, it’s like wearing sneakers with a suit. It might be trendy right now but in 10 years people are going to look back and think, “what were they thinking? That looks ridiculous.”
+1
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:37 PM   #77
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
i got lucky, i bought my 116520 right at this time for $11,500.... i've seen prices $15,000 to $17,000 and with mine having the "APH error", even higher. The grey i bought it from told me it was a mistake all resellers regret.
I got my 116520 in NOS condition for $9,000 when the new one was released. Super buy
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:45 PM   #78
pkrussel
"TRF" Member

I personally like the option of the oyster and the super jubilee not just the super jubilee, if indeed the new Batman is like the Pepsi.
pkrussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:45 PM   #79
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
The "Pepsi" is here to stay. So that's the one that just might show the greatest grey market price difference in the coming months. Down.
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:46 PM   #80
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Notice the all white text lettering on the dial on the new one?
Previous “GMT Master” was in blue.
No it wasn't.

I do prefer the jubilee to the oyster for the BLNR, but I wear mine on a leather strap regardless. I'm curious if I'll be able to casually "trade up" in a year or two if this thing hits market saturation.

That actually is the more interesting question. With the "base" LN model gone for the moment, will we see a lot more BLROs and BLNRs hit retail this year, or will the steel GMT just be completely invisible for a year until the updated LN arrives?
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:47 PM   #81
Juan Luis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcentaur View Post
Ha!
Juan Luis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2019, 11:55 PM   #82
feb29
Banned

Quote:
I’m as laid back as they come and a “to each his own” guy, but I just don’t understand why Rolex puts a jubilee on a sport watch. The jubilee is the quintessential dress bracelet, if there is such a thing, and slapped it on another sports model. To me, it’s like wearing sneakers with a suit. It might be trendy right now but in 10 years people are going to look back and think, “What were they thinking? That looks ridiculous.”
I have to agree. Well said and good analogy
feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:03 AM   #83
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
Quote:

Product differentiation strategy. So that submariner is different with the oyster links.

avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:09 AM   #84
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Product differentiation strategy. So that submariner is different with the oyster links.
Yep, and I'm surprised something like this didn't happen sooner. However, I always expected the change to be in the case -- thinner lugs for the GMT, or maybe even the crown guard going away. Just something to make the sub a little more "rugged" looking in comparison. Simply moving the springbar holes and throwing a new bracelet on feels like taking the easy way out.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:14 AM   #85
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feb29 View Post
The "old" BLNR become classic and always be the first/original model with the first produced bi-color ceramic bezel. That said, the "old" BLNR is a collectible piece and will only go up in value.
Wishful thinking, sorry...and I have an "old" BLNR.
The oyster might be preferable for some, but it has polished center links. The old movement, frankly is just sub par. Tudor at less than 50% of the price has 70-hour power reserve.
I'll be selling my mint BLNR from 2017. The first person to pay $12K gets it. PM me...
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:17 AM   #86
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by key View Post
Down. The new BLNR has the newer/better movement and even before it was updated with a jubilee bracelet, people paid premium to source jubilee bracelets for their BLNRs.
Yes they did because it was a different look just like people put them on rubber. It’s nice to change things up but make no mistake for sports Rolex Oyster > jubilee.
Old 21 March 2019, 12:21 AM   #87
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBC View Post
Wishful thinking, sorry...and I have an "old" BLNR.
The oyster might be preferable for some, but it has polished center links. The old movement, frankly is just sub par. Tudor at less than 50% of the price has 70-hour power reserve.
I'll be selling my mint BLNR from 2017. The first person to pay $12K gets it. PM me...
Then some 90% of Rolex are all “subpar” since the 70hr movements started in 2015. The Daytona has had a 70 hr movement since 2000 but that’s a different story.
Old 21 March 2019, 12:23 AM   #88
Switch
"TRF" Member

Everyone bashing the previous movement, wasn't there a post not too long ago comparing the old to new movement in terms of maintenance, and it was found the previous movement was easier for maintenance, and that the established movement was just as good as the new untested one sans the power reserve in technical performance?
Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:27 AM   #89
GSBC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
Yes they did because it was a different look just like people put them on rubber. It’s nice to change things up but make no mistake for sports Rolex Oyster > jubilee.
I would agree but for the fact that it has polished center links. I much prefer the polished centers oyster on my Daytona.
I've always thought that element was incongruous to the overall GMT design and have seriously thought about brushing the centers.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2019, 12:37 AM   #90
rtalk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710T
Why buy a 4 digit, 5 digit Pepsi when you can get a new six digit one? The details. I think over time people who want this reference will want the maxi case. Effectively this case is on its way out.
116519 Grey dial Oysterflex Daytona. 116500 Black. 116710BLNR. 16710T. Rolex Explorer I 39MM. 4 digit DateJust. JLC Master Control with Sector Dial. Omega FOIS. Grand Seiko Four Seasons (Spring Version). Tudor Royal. IWC Cal 83 (~1940s). 41MM sub. Omega CK859.
rtalk is offline   Reply With Quote