The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 31 October 2019, 12:46 AM   #91
Collector2019
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm2 View Post
I wonder if they really have it. Always easy to post up a stock pic and claim it is available for traffic to your site but when you call magically it just "sold"...

well there is a chance of that, I dropped him a message if it's readily available, let's see what response I get back
Collector2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 12:47 AM   #92
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I wonder if they really have it. Always easy to post up a stock pic and claim it is available for traffic to your site but when you call magically it just "sold"...
Considering it's popping up in Hong Kong, I can assure you they have a line on one and it'll be available.
maciej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 01:13 AM   #93
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They don't, had a friend check.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 01:17 AM   #94
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

They'll pop up soon.
For a delicious grey price no doubt. Curious to see what the markup will be (ad with real images I guess).
PPFANBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2019, 03:51 AM   #95
Reign
"TRF" Member

$210k seems really low for this anyway. I’d have expected a 3 handle at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 07:06 AM   #96
dauster
"TRF" Member

after chasing AD's all over the world for the SS pateks of this world with zero chance unless I spend so much that I can't afford the actual watch I want anymore... it seems that AP's pricing at retail is somewhat "affordable". Not that i can afford it but how is this absolute masterpiece/ grail retailing lower than a 5270? Anyway I guess my point being that AP has more than a few watches that i can actually get excited about sub $30k (and that are available) vs PP.

Anybody here got allocated one yet btw?
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 01:15 PM   #97
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

I ended up going grey on this one. Didn't have the patience to wait and an allocation was unlikely in the first place as I'm not about to buy a few codes and womens watches lol.
Old 8 January 2020, 01:41 PM   #98
trfChris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116719BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
I ended up going grey on this one. Didn't have the patience to wait and an allocation was unlikely in the first place as I'm not about to buy a few codes and womens watches lol.
You bought it? Congrats! Do post some wrist shots!
trfChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 06:09 PM   #99
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign View Post
$210k seems really low for this anyway. I’d have expected a 3 handle at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Market has come down quite a bit from that summer of insanity. I would like to see them roll out a few limited boutique editions of the ceramic PC with different color faces but with that one of one blue face auctioning for mind boggling $800k, doing so would be a tough one to do.
Old 8 January 2020, 10:50 PM   #100
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Anybody here got allocated one yet btw?
I was supposed to get mine in December, but it didn't make the shipment prior to the holiday closing on the 20th of Dec. Hopefully, it's in the first shipment of the new year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where were you able to source one?
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 03:02 AM   #101
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post
I was supposed to get mine in December, but it didn't make the shipment prior to the holiday closing on the 20th of Dec. Hopefully, it's in the first shipment of the new year.

That's awesome, do share pics when you receive it. hopefully soon. Would love to know your ballpark purchase history (ideally in $) but I understand that's pretty private info (maybe via PM?).
Old 9 January 2020, 10:15 AM   #102
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfChris View Post
You bought it? Congrats! Do post some wrist shots!
Thanks. Sure I'll post an incoming thread.

Quote:

Firstly congrats on the allocation.

Secondly, my regular grey dealer in Dubai was able to source one for me.

Cheers.
Old 9 January 2020, 04:07 PM   #103
APAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:

When do they come back to work? I was told January 20 but that's excessive.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2020, 04:09 PM   #104
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Must be nice.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 03:38 AM   #105
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's awesome, do share pics when you receive it. hopefully soon. Would love to know your ballpark purchase history (ideally in $) but I understand that's pretty private info (maybe via PM?).
I will have my friend take pictures and I'll make a thread when it arrives.

Purchase history is in the six figure range. I have referred four friends who purchased watches, though. They do know that I am a genuine enthusiast and have a genuine passion. They are trying their best to make sure that pieces end up on actual client's wrist and won't be flipped. It's not an easy task for them.

I was legitimately surprised by the oppurtunity, wasn't expecting it at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
When do they come back to work? I was told January 20 but that's excessive.
From my understanding, the manufacture opened again on Jan 5th.
Old 11 January 2020, 04:01 AM   #106
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I will have my friend take pictures and I'll make a thread when it arrives.

Purchase history is in the $100-200k range. I have referred four friends who purchased watches, though. They do know that I am a genuine enthusiast and have a genuine passion. They are trying their best to make sure that pieces end up on actual client's wrist and won't be flipped. It's not an easy task for them.

I was legitimately surprised by the oppurtunity, wasn't expecting it all.

From my understanding, the manufacture opened again on Jan 5th.
Was a CODE included in that purchase history? Sincere question on my part. Thanks!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 05:07 AM   #107
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Was a CODE included in that purchase history? Sincere question on my part. Thanks!
It was not. I was actually told that if I bought a CODE just to get access to other pieces, it would not be looked at in a positive way.

What many people fail to conceptualize is that it's just not about purchase history, it's the overall relationship. They want to make sure that you're genuine and not just a flipper. I know of someone that purchased a ROO as his first and only watch. He made his wishes known, supported the brand by attending events, visited Le Brassus, etc. Two years later, he was offered a CE QP.
Old 11 January 2020, 05:34 AM   #108
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
It was not. I was actually told that if I bought a CODE just to get access to other pieces, it would not be looked at in a positive way.

What many people fail to conceptualize is that it's just not about purchase history, it's the overall relationship. They want to make sure that you're genuine and not just a flipper. I know of someone that purchased a ROO as his first and only watch. He made his wishes known, supported the brand by attending events, visited Le Brassus, etc. Two years later, he was offered a CE QP.
Lucky guy.
Old 11 January 2020, 06:12 AM   #109
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is so true. Whilst spending money opens a few doors that doesn't mean that you have free run of the shop. The relationship is far more important. AP are people, ideally they have to like and trust you. There are still far too many in demand pieces flowing straight to the grey market and AP are doing their best to stop that. The way they are trying to do it is by 'knowing' their customers.

I had ZERO relationship with AP London but had spent my fair share on AP's overseas when I lived there. AP London went out of their way to help me and they now know me and they've already been more than generous with me, and I've only spent 'entry level' money with them. They know that I'm a customer for life and if I buy something then it's going on my wrist, not on ebay.

I think in today's market AP values customers that they KNOW far more than big spenders that are somewhat 'sketchy'.

Build the relationship, know the people, be a true AP ambassador and you'll be treated exactly as you want to be treated.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 06:37 AM   #110
maciej
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
This is so true. Whilst spending money opens a few doors that doesn't mean that you have free run of the shop. The relationship is far more important. AP are people, ideally they have to like and trust you. There are still far too many in demand pieces flowing straight to the grey market and AP are doing their best to stop that. The way they are trying to do it is by 'knowing' their customers.

I had ZERO relationship with AP London but had spent my fair share on AP's overseas when I lived there. AP London went out of their way to help me and they now know me and they've already been more than generous with me, and I've only spent 'entry level' money with them. They know that I'm a customer for life and if I buy something then it's going on my wrist, not on ebay.

I think in today's market AP values customers that they KNOW far more than big spenders that are somewhat 'sketchy'.

Build the relationship, know the people, be a true AP ambassador and you'll be treated exactly as you want to be treated.
Spot on, 110%!
Old 11 January 2020, 07:13 AM   #111
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:

For some pieces this may be true but with a piece like the ceramic openworked, I have been told directly from several boutiques that they are lucky if they receive one a year, some won't receive any or possibly every 18+ months, which puts them in a position where they can only sell /award it to their very top customers. Spending amounts are relative but this basically puts these pieces out of reach of even the top middle, up to the middle top customers who may already be spending mid to high six figures annually.

I also found something out a few years ago that many may not know but there are several of these "top level buyers" got to this level and stay there from having a solid connection to usually one grey market dealer who takes the pieces immediately at a modest premium. This makes the customer a top level VIP because of the volume and also nets him a pretty penny from the grey premium he shares. Pretty much every ceramic, ceramic openworked or any ultra rare piece you see for sale now is because of this "system".
Old 11 January 2020, 07:32 AM   #112
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
For some pieces this may be true but with a piece like the ceramic openworked, I have been told directly from several boutiques that they are lucky if they receive one a year, some won't receive any or possibly every 18+ months, which puts them in a position where they can only sell /award it to their very top customers. Spending amounts are relative but this basically puts these pieces out of reach of even the top middle, up to the middle top customers who may already be spending mid to high six figures annually.

I also found something out a few years ago that many may not know but there are several of these "top level buyers" got to this level and stay there from having a solid connection to usually one grey market dealer who takes the pieces immediately at a modest premium. This makes the customer a top level VIP because of the volume and also nets him a pretty penny from the grey premium he shares. Pretty much every ceramic, ceramic openworked or any ultra rare piece you see for sale now is because of this "system".
You are of course correct, there's always going to be a pecking order for items that come is shipments of 1 a year, and spend will be a factor in that, but not the only or even the predominant factor.

I do know that AP are cracking down on those types of clients that you mention and I expect to see fewer and fewer of those really exclusive pieces making it to grey so soon.

Also, I know that 'some' of those VVVVVVIP's that you mention have entered into an agreement to not sell the items they've been allocated for x period of time. I've no idea whether that's a formal or informal agreement, but that commitment along with a track record and spend history no doubt goes a long way and thus, in my mind, they have earned their spot at the top of the list.

Nevertheless you are right, there are still too many ultra rare items being leaked to the greys from those very VVVVVVIP's.
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2020, 07:56 AM   #113
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You sir, get it.
Old 11 January 2020, 10:24 AM   #114
T3F
"TRF" Member

To be fair, though some have been lucky to build a really good relationship with AP, it's much easier said than done. I have fantastic relationships with several non-AP dealers because I always keep up with them, treat them as friends, and they know that I really care about the hobby and won't flip what they sell me. I've been allocated watches I "shouldn't" have been allocated given what I've spent, and at my main AD, the combination of a really strong relationship and a big account (that was built as a result of that really strong relationship) means that I can pretty much get whatever I want.

AP, though, has been insanely tough to break into for me. I had a great initial salesperson at one boutique who did go to bat for me and took care of me -- I got a 15202ST just 6 months after my only purchase with them, which was a 15400 blue dial that they happened to have in the case. However, after that, I was given a new salesperson and can hardly get him to respond. I asked about a few watches, was told they were all unavailable, then he told me to send a full list of watches I'd be interested in. I sent it over, and it didn't only have hot watches on it, and have yet to be allocated anything, and I know that people with zero purchase history from that boutique have gotten some of the watches I've asked for and I'm pretty confident some have even hit the case. It was hinted to me that I was being considered for a 15407OR, but I never heard anything further about that.

I think it would be easier if I lived near the boutique and dealt with them in person, but since there's only a handful in the U.S. and none are near me, that's not really an option. I am going to make a point of making a trip to go see them and see if that helps, but if not, I guess I'll just enjoy the three I have, continue to try my best, and maybe go grey market if things don't improve. One positive is that I did get the grey dial 26315ST about a month ago from a different boutique which I have no spending history with (though I was told accounts are shared between the it and the one I bought my other two APs from), so maybe that'll help. After this acquisition, though, there's not much I want in the "lower" part of the AP range and I'm kind of at a roadblock with AP -- I'm ready to make the jump up to a PC or Tourbillon but so far, no one has been willing to sell one to me.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I did want to jump in and clarify that, though some of you have obviously been able to build great relationships with AP, others like me (and I know I'm far from being alone) have had a more difficult time doing so. Yes, some of it does come down to building a relationship, treating them well, etc., but some also comes down to geography, the specific boutique/salesperson, and just plain luck.
Old 13 January 2020, 01:38 PM   #115
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3F View Post
To be fair, though some have been lucky to build a really good relationship with AP, it's much easier said than done. I have fantastic relationships with several non-AP dealers because I always keep up with them, treat them as friends, and they know that I really care about the hobby and won't flip what they sell me. I've been allocated watches I "shouldn't" have been allocated given what I've spent, and at my main AD, the combination of a really strong relationship and a big account (that was built as a result of that really strong relationship) means that I can pretty much get whatever I want.

AP, though, has been insanely tough to break into for me. I had a great initial salesperson at one boutique who did go to bat for me and took care of me -- I got a 15202ST just 6 months after my only purchase with them, which was a 15400 blue dial that they happened to have in the case. However, after that, I was given a new salesperson and can hardly get him to respond. I asked about a few watches, was told they were all unavailable, then he told me to send a full list of watches I'd be interested in. I sent it over, and it didn't only have hot watches on it, and have yet to be allocated anything, and I know that people with zero purchase history from that boutique have gotten some of the watches I've asked for and I'm pretty confident some have even hit the case. It was hinted to me that I was being considered for a 15407OR, but I never heard anything further about that.

I think it would be easier if I lived near the boutique and dealt with them in person, but since there's only a handful in the U.S. and none are near me, that's not really an option. I am going to make a point of making a trip to go see them and see if that helps, but if not, I guess I'll just enjoy the three I have, continue to try my best, and maybe go grey market if things don't improve. One positive is that I did get the grey dial 26315ST about a month ago from a different boutique which I have no spending history with (though I was told accounts are shared between the it and the one I bought my other two APs from), so maybe that'll help. After this acquisition, though, there's not much I want in the "lower" part of the AP range and I'm kind of at a roadblock with AP -- I'm ready to make the jump up to a PC or Tourbillon but so far, no one has been willing to sell one to me.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I did want to jump in and clarify that, though some of you have obviously been able to build great relationships with AP, others like me (and I know I'm far from being alone) have had a more difficult time doing so. Yes, some of it does come down to building a relationship, treating them well, etc., but some also comes down to geography, the specific boutique/salesperson, and just plain luck.
Thanks for the inside very interesting (even if it was a rant for you).
At some point it seems crazy to me to what length people are required to strategize over their watch purchases.
Why doesn’t AP and Patek and maybe even Rolex just keep a global database of all watches purchased legitimately through an AD/boutique and then allocates hard to get pieces purely by purchase history and maybe as a bit of a soft criteria a recommendation by the boutique manager?
Old 13 January 2020, 02:34 PM   #116
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why doesn’t AP and Patek and maybe even Rolex just keep a global database of all watches purchased legitimately through an AD/boutique and then allocates hard to get pieces purely by purchase history and maybe as a bit of a soft criteria a recommendation by the boutique manager?
Because it's an antiquated industry that is destined to fail unless someone wises up. Sadly most of the people in power have been in the industry for far too long, and struggle with the advancements in other parts of retail, luxury, etc.

And they don't listen to those with good ideas for them to move forward.

Wait, do I sound bitter? :) Am I possibly too close to the problem? Perhaps. I apologize. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2020, 03:16 PM   #117
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Because it's an antiquated industry that is destined to fail unless someone wises up. Sadly most of the people in power have been in the industry for far too long, and struggle with the advancements in other parts of retail, luxury, etc.

And they don't listen to those with good ideas for them to move forward.

Wait, do I sound bitter? :) Am I possibly too close to the problem? Perhaps. I apologize. :)
You are right of course and you hit the nail on the head. As much as I love strategizing about watch purchases and reading about it from fellow watch enthusiasts sometimes you still wonder what the hell is going on though.
Old 13 January 2020, 06:47 PM   #118
Sulituan
"TRF" Member

The watch industry is indeed antiquated industry. The idea of having an CRM where the OEM owns customer data is completely new and which - now under these circumstances considered - make AP's strategy to own the customer contact points through own boutiques more sense. OEMs like Rolex who do very few own point of sales, have little knowledge about their customer base.
Sulituan is offline   Reply With Quote