The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 January 2020, 12:29 AM   #1
gordotre
"TRF" Member

AP26331ST Finish question

I just purchased a new 26331ST Panda a few weeks ago and notice from a certain angle there is a shiny spot at the top of the bezel. You can only see from a certain angle but it looks as if the top is a bit shinier on the edge but only in the one spot. Is this normal? I assume this is due to the hand finishing as that can certainly cause slight anomalies like this. In direct light etc.. it cannot really be seen. Is this me being way overly anal. :-)
Interested in peoples thoughts and opinions on this.

26331.jpg

26331 Direct light.jpg
gordotre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:53 AM   #2
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
I think the finish on mine is pretty even. Dont notice any anomalies.

Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:55 AM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The royal oak bezel is finely brushed, so probably a very small ding or scratch while wearing, most likely against a sharp object. But if you have it when received it brand new, then it's not normal.
Old 19 January 2020, 01:29 AM   #4
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The royal oak bezel is finely brushed, so probably a very small ding or scratch while wearing, most likely against a sharp object. But if you have it when received it brand new, then it's not normal.
Thanks for the information. It it definitely not a ding or scratch. The brushing is still perfectly in tact but the area is just more shiny (like it could have been polished and this caused the more shiny edge. My thought is that the place I purchased had the polished edge touched up and the jeweler ended up making the edge a bit shiny. I was hoping this is something that was normal but had a feeling it was not.
Old 19 January 2020, 01:44 AM   #5
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If the finish is uneven then I would get AP to correct it, won't take long and APSC are good to deal with, worth doing as AP's usual immaculate finishing is one of the main reasons to buy.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:48 AM   #6
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
If the finish is uneven then I would get AP to correct it, won't take long and APSC are good to deal with, worth doing as AP's usual immaculate finishing is one of the main reasons to buy.
Thanks, you think they would do this under warranty?
Old 19 January 2020, 01:51 AM   #7
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
It definitely didn’t leave the AP factory like that. It’s not difficult for AP to rectify but the bezel needs to be removed to refinish it. The chances are that you’ll scratch the bezel some time soon so maybe wait until you put a few scratches on it before refinishing it as the bezel can only be refinished 3-5 times before it needs replacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:55 AM   #8
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordotre View Post
Thanks, you think they would do this under warranty?

No, the warranty is for mechanical problems not incorrect scratch repair techniques.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:11 AM   #9
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Is the issue you're talking about the bright area on the edge near the bezel screw at 11? If so it's been knocked / scratched. I have similar on my RG chrono - it doesn't take much of a rub against something hard to produce that kind of mark on the sharp angle change.

If it is that I'd leave it for now, because it will happen again.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:38 AM   #10
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Is the issue you're talking about the bright area on the edge near the bezel screw at 11? If so it's been knocked / scratched. I have similar on my RG chrono - it doesn't take much of a rub against something hard to produce that kind of mark on the sharp angle change.

If it is that I'd leave it for now, because it will happen again.
No, its actually the rather large shiny area @ the 1 oclock screw. I circled it in this photo. The stop you are speaking of is a speck of dust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26331.jpg (254.8 KB, 464 views)
Old 19 January 2020, 02:40 AM   #11
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
No, the warranty is for mechanical problems not incorrect scratch repair techniques.

Agreed, I was more referring to an issue with finish that came from the factory. Clearly we are all in agreement that this was due to a poorly done scratch repair.
Old 19 January 2020, 02:46 AM   #12
Pantheon
Banned

When you got your watch was it still in the hard plastic casing? You can tell if it was removed. My AD always leave the stickers and hard plastics on.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Old 19 January 2020, 02:56 AM   #13
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

FWIW, even with the circle, I can't tell exactly what you mean. Look just like a normal light reflection when you focused it in.

My main take away from the thread here is that I definitely need to get a 26331ST in white! Such a good looking time piece.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:22 AM   #14
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Then I'd say it's been repolished (not by AP) and the 'mop' used has touched over onto the brushed area, wearing off the brushing. It would only take a second on a high speed polishing mop to do that.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:27 AM   #15
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
FWIW, even with the circle, I can't tell exactly what you mean. Look just like a normal light reflection when you focused it in.

My main take away from the thread here is that I definitely need to get a 26331ST in white! Such a good looking time piece.
While I agree that it looks like light reflecting, in person, you can see this has a different shine than the rest of the bezel. Looks like that area was lightly polished while the rest of the bezel does not have this. It is minor but it frustrates me when dealers are unscrupulous and sell items as new and they know it was touched up.

Yes, the watch is truly awesome and even nicer in person.
Old 19 January 2020, 03:27 AM   #16
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
Pretty simple...if you bought the watch brand new then it should NOT be like this and I would certainly be asking AP to rectify the issue

IF you purchased the watched pre-owned then it was poorly polished by someone who is not familiar with the way AP finished their watches , once again something that I would have rectified.
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 03:32 AM   #17
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantheon View Post
When you got your watch was it still in the hard plastic casing? You can tell if it was removed. My AD always leave the stickers and hard plastics on.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Yes, it was still in the plastic case, yes it was definitely removed as the plastic shell had no stickers on it etc.. Also, the outside green sticker was on but the blue inside bracelet stickers were not. Finally, the screw for the bracelet some were very loose and not tight which tells me it was most likely sized. None of it would bother me but the shiny area shows some was done to it.
Old 19 January 2020, 03:38 AM   #18
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzpam View Post
Pretty simple...if you bought the watch brand new then it should NOT be like this and I would certainly be asking AP to rectify the issue

IF you purchased the watched pre-owned then it was poorly polished by someone who is not familiar with the way AP finished their watches , once again something that I would have rectified.
Agreed, I am working on it with the jeweler. At least I sent them an email informing them I of this issue. We will see what happens. I am not stating the name of the place I purchased at this time to give them a chance to rectify. The fix for me would be to take it back or pay to have AP swap the bezel. I do not think I should have a bezel serviced on a new watch. That would mean I already used one of the refinishing times and just got the watch. I guess they could also compensate me some money as it was not new.
Old 19 January 2020, 06:22 AM   #19
mojomomo
"TRF" Member

Apologies in advance if this seems like a silly thing to say, but have you tried washing that bit with soap and warm water using a q-tip? I had something similar on my 15400 and it bothered me, I couldn't rub it off with a cleaning cloth no matter what. Then I thought of washing it and it viola, it went away.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
mojomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 07:09 AM   #20
Pantheon
Banned

Quote:
Yes, it was still in the plastic case, yes it was definitely removed as the plastic shell had no stickers on it etc.. Also, the outside green sticker was on but the blue inside bracelet stickers were not. Finally, the screw for the bracelet some were very loose and not tight which tells me it was most likely sized. None of it would bother me but the shiny area shows some was done to it.

Geez maybe an employee "borrowed" it for a night out and knocked the bezel against something. I highly doubt that can happen if a customer was just trying it on the wrist.

Old 19 January 2020, 07:44 AM   #21
Burlington
"TRF" Member

AP26331ST Finish question

Quote:
Agreed, I am working on it with the jeweler. At least I sent them an email informing them I of this issue. We will see what happens. I am not stating the name of the place I purchased at this time to give them a chance to rectify. The fix for me would be to take it back or pay to have AP swap the bezel. I do not think I should have a bezel serviced on a new watch. That would mean I already used one of the refinishing times and just got the watch. I guess they could also compensate me some money as it was not new.

It looks like someone might have had a go at buffing the polished edge and there was some unintended lateral polishing effect against the brushed finish grain.

The brushing is done in such a way that it’s impossible to leave looking like that when factory finished.

As mentioned above it would need re brushing, but bezel needs to come off for that so only AP should do that.

If you had bought new from AP then yes flaws in finishing (when it’s brand new) would be covered under warranty, but obviously not cosmetic damage caused by the owner.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 08:08 AM   #22
gordotre
"TRF" Member

So I had been dealing with the place I bought it "new" at and they have provided me credit for a full watch refinish, which was quoted by AP at 370.00 for the refinishing and 420.00 for the disassembly, re-assembly and testing. So 790.00 plus tax. The gave my that to cover it. I will not have it re-finished until a get a collection of marks and scratches. I think that is fare on their part so all is good.
Old 23 January 2020, 08:24 AM   #23
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
Quote:
So I had been dealing with the place I bought it "new" at and they have provided me credit for a full watch refinish, which was quoted by AP at 370.00 for the refinishing and 420.00 for the disassembly, re-assembly and testing. So 790.00 plus tax. The gave my that to cover it. I will not have it re-finished until a get a collection of marks and scratches. I think that is fare on their part so all is good.

If you are happy....WE are happy
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 10:18 AM   #24
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I did that to my roc by using a cape cod cloth on the polished part without tape. Had to send to Clearwater to refinish. That’s what that shiny spot is.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 11:32 AM   #25
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Sounds like a solid end result !

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2020, 07:36 AM   #26
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I did that to my roc by using a cape cod cloth on the polished part without tape. Had to send to Clearwater to refinish. That’s what that shiny spot is.
I agree and will do the same once I wear for a bit and maybe a couple other tiny marks. I wear my watches with a fairly high awareness so I probably will not get many scratches just tiny hairlines etc..
The reality is its not that bad as it can only be seen under non direct lighting and at a certain angle.
Old 24 January 2020, 07:38 AM   #27
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Sounds like a solid end result !
I think its reasonable of the dealer to cover it. I am happy overall just need to get used to not looking at the spot all the time :-)
Old 24 January 2020, 08:31 AM   #28
gordotre
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
When you had it refinished did the bezel look different? Could you tell at all it was refinished?