The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 January 2019, 08:27 PM   #31
Adambrown
"TRF" Member

Your poor wife ha ha. 36 to me is the perfect & classic size for the DJ. It seems that here in the U.K. anyway that the smaller watch is making a comeback. Good choice & enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adambrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 09:12 PM   #32
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
Sounds like you got there in the end.

Wear what you want ... not what everyone else wants.

Well I’m almost there. Just need to do the trade haha.

True words.
R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 09:14 PM   #33
R G
Banned

DJ Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adambrown View Post
Your poor wife ha ha. 36 to me is the perfect & classic size for the DJ. It seems that here in the U.K. anyway that the smaller watch is making a comeback. Good choice & enjoy

I know haha. My wife is truly amazing and supports me with everything.

It’s true. I happen to see far more smaller watches around currently.
Old 29 January 2019, 10:16 PM   #34
tle156
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing a great story. I just purchased my DJ36 (116234) recently but thing was much easier to me. My wrist size is about yours (between 6.5-6.75inch) and both the salesperson and my wife sad that the DJ36 is small while the new DJ41 suits me better. However I've always thought that if I go for a DJ or DD, it'd definitely be 36mm. So, it's a easy choice for me when I purchased. Also, my comfort zone is between 36-40mm. Anything smaller or larger seems off to me
tle156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 10:40 PM   #35
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tle156 View Post
Thank you for sharing a great story. I just purchased my DJ36 (116234) recently but thing was much easier to me. My wrist size is about yours (between 6.5-6.75inch) and both the salesperson and my wife sad that the DJ36 is small while the new DJ41 suits me better. However I've always thought that if I go for a DJ or DD, it'd definitely be 36mm. So, it's a easy choice for me when I purchased. Also, my comfort zone is between 36-40mm. Anything smaller or larger seems off to me

Yes same sentiments here - my sweet spot is definitely 36-40mm!

Enjoy.
Old 29 January 2019, 10:50 PM   #36
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
Yes same sentiments here - my sweet spot is definitely 36-40mm!

Enjoy.

I agree with your choice of 36mm. I think for DJ and day date you can’t beat classic 36mm portions.
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 10:58 PM   #37
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsubnodate View Post
I agree with your choice of 36mm. I think for DJ and day date you can’t beat classic 36mm portions.

Absolutely.

Cheers!
Old 29 January 2019, 11:26 PM   #38
logix1229
"TRF" Member

i recently bought my 1st rolex and it was a datejust 36. I LOVE IT! I was wearing 2 different tags before, one being 43mm and other being 41mm. the 43 was definitely way too big for me, the 41 felt just slightly too big but manageable.

when i initially put on the dj 36, i felt it was way too small since i was accustomed to the bigger watches...but after wearing it for some time...it's the perfect size (for me). It slips under my dress shirt cuffs perfectly and after looking at it more and more...the proportions are just perfect.
logix1229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:33 PM   #39
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Sounds like all's well that ends well. Good for you.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:39 PM   #40
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi, haha, you know, I did think about you as I was wrapping up the post before submitting it.

I thought I bet Brew will say told you so, or something like that.

I remember my post, knocking the smaller size and promoting the larger 41mm against your sentiments of the 36mm.

If I’m totally honest, I think i was trying to tell myself that, rather than trying to get anyone else to see my view point.

Haha thanks for going easy as you could of had a field day with this one.
Hey RG, I am thrilled to read that you've finally come to your senses! , of course.

I think that the pendulum is about to swing back to smaller pieces. You and I are just a bit ahead of the curve.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2019, 11:52 PM   #41
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Hey RG, I am thrilled to read that you've finally come to your senses! , of course.

I think that the pendulum is about to swing back to smaller pieces. You and I are just a bit ahead of the curve.

Hahaha cheers!
Old 29 January 2019, 11:53 PM   #42
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Sounds like all's well that ends well. Good for you.

Thank you!
Old 30 January 2019, 12:50 AM   #43
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Hahahaha we are both really laughing!! I just showed her your post. She just said that at least someone has thought about her in all this.

I would actually do exactly what you’ve just suggested but she’d go mad as we are expecting our first baby - found out at the end of October and she wants all focus and spend on that from here.

Great post OP

To be honest, as I read through the whole thing, I felt that you’re lucky your AD helped you out, but you’re even luckier to have found your wife!

She seems very understand and patient.

Congratulations on the incoming baby!

As mentioned somewhere above, I would try to use the store credit to buy something for your wife.

Or maybe even engrave the watch with your baby’s birthday or something
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:24 AM   #44
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Nice post op,,
Pretty much like yourself ,
,it’s takem me over two years and a number of models to come full circle to another 36mm (116200) like my first ttt 16013,,,
Glad you got there in the end,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 01:40 AM   #45
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolboy View Post
Great post OP

To be honest, as I read through the whole thing, I felt that you’re lucky your AD helped you out, but you’re even luckier to have found your wife!

She seems very understand and patient.

Congratulations on the incoming baby!

Thanks very much. We can’t wait for our first born.

Haha my wife is amazing and she is fully aware of how much I love her. Believe me, her patience during my whole watch fiasco is nothing in comparison to some of the stuff she’s endured with me over the 14 years we’ve been together.

Hoping that this won’t make this thread a lot cheesier than it needs to be, here’s a pic of us from a while back.

Cheers

Last edited by padi56; 5 March 2019 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: Picture removed by request of poster
Old 30 January 2019, 01:42 AM   #46
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Nice post op,,
Pretty much like yourself ,
,it’s takem me over two years and a number of models to come full circle to another 36mm (116200) like my first ttt 16013,,,
Glad you got there in the end,,,
Thank you!

We got there in the end...

Old 30 January 2019, 02:29 AM   #47
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Lovely pic ,,
All the very best to you and your wife for the impending arrival of the “ little one”,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 02:32 AM   #48
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaySL350 View Post
Lovely pic ,,
All the very best to you and your wife for the impending arrival of the “ little one”,

Thank you very much!

Cheers.
Old 30 January 2019, 02:40 AM   #49
ReclinerTimer
"TRF" Member

Yup my 36mm datejust is literally the best. period. I personally would never get the 41, so congratulations on your incoming 36! ALWAYS go for what you want
ReclinerTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 January 2019, 03:26 AM   #50
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Thanks very much. We can’t wait for our first born.

Haha my wife is amazing and she is fully aware of how much I love her. Believe me, her patience during my whole watch fiasco is nothing in comparison to some of the stuff she’s endured with me over the 14 years we’ve been together.

Hoping that this won’t make this thread a lot cheesier than it needs to be, here’s a pic of us from a while back.

Cheers

Lovely :)

Last edited by padi56; 5 March 2019 at 07:04 PM..
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:58 AM   #51
R G
Banned

***UPDATE***

Hello people of TRF.

So I posted this a year ago. My AD ended up getting the 116200 in with the wrong configuration and due to it being so close to bezel last year, he wasn’t able to order anything else in from Rolex of the older DJ36 range due to the 12*** range coming out.

I just ended up keeping the DJ41

Frustratingly, every time I wear it, I cannot help thinking it looks too big. It isn’t, but I think I just yearn for the 36mm version. 5 years now since getting my DJ2, chopping it in for a DJ41, and still thinking about the DJ36.

I’m at my largest right now with a 6.75” wrist. Typically, I go down to 6.65” even 6.5” when I’m at my normal weight. When I look at photos of me wearing it, it just looks too big. I think because I’m only 5ft8 and have short arms, it looks different on me, than someone with similar size wrists, but say 6ft and longer arms, if that makes sense. I think that based on the questions that are asked here, build, is left out constantly, and I think this has a significant part of how a watch looks on you..

So, having now looked and felt the newer DJ36 models, they are definitely a little more refined, and as a result appear just ever so slightly smaller so I’d prefer the older 116200 model.

None of the larger chains will hold any of these still - long gone. So I decided to make a list of all the independents in the UK as I suspected they may still have these in stock.

I rang around and got repeated no’s. However, I eventually called through to one about 95 miles away and got lucky. They have the 116200 in the exact configuration I wanted, in their safe. I go to ‘hopefully’ buy it next Saturday.

Every time a try a 36mm on, it’s small, but the DJ just looks so much better proportionally in a 36mm than a 41mm.

I’m just going to take the plunge and buy it. Already have an offer in place for my DJ41 so will let it go the week following.

Will post my incoming when it’s here.
Old 19 January 2020, 05:10 AM   #52
Nav01L
"TRF" Member

So long as your wife’s feelings haven’t been hurt, happy you found what you like. I couldn’t part with a watch my girl would have offered me for our wedding, no matter the size/color/material/whatever... the moment and the story would only ever be attached to that original object and no stand-in could replace that for me...

Remember, the dignity you surrender at your AD‘s doorstep will never be recovered by wearing the watch he may get you.
Nav01L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 05:23 AM   #53
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav01L View Post
So long as your wife’s feelings haven’t been hurt, happy you found what you like. I couldn’t part with a watch my girl would have offered me for our wedding, no matter the size/color/material/whatever... the moment and the story would only ever be attached to that original object and no stand-in could replace that for me...
Understood, but nope. She would prefer me to change and get a watch I’ll actually prefer more.

She’s actually bored of listening to me for 5 years questioning the size every time I wear the DJ.
Old 19 January 2020, 05:43 AM   #54
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
If you buy the DJ 36 and find that it wears too small, I'm pretty sure your wife will kill you.
Old 19 January 2020, 05:48 AM   #55
Tangier11
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
As the owner of a 36MM DJ and DD, I fully understand. I recently bought an Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra in a 41MM and I am starting to regret it because of the size. Thinking of going to a 40mm Yachtmaster. Even thought its only 1MM difference the dial size is smaller on the YM. Do for me, it likes like 40MM is going to be my max
Tangier11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 07:33 AM   #56
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
If you buy the DJ 36 and find that it wears too small, I'm pretty sure your wife will kill you.

Hahahaha... she’s on the verge now.

She just wants the ‘watch saga’ as she calls it, to be over, bless her.

Cheers
Old 19 January 2020, 01:49 PM   #57
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoNeal View Post
Yes.
I reckon I'll hold him while she plunges the knife in the first time, then stand back and let her thoroughly finish the job in an orderly and proficient manner.
I might even put a nice razor sharp edge on the blade for her.
Just to help her out a little
Or maybe it's possible she would prefer a serated edged tool for the job to help with hacking through sinuey bits
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 10:14 PM   #58
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes.

I reckon I'll hold him while she plunges the knife in the first time, then stand back and let her thoroughly finish the job in an orderly and proficient manner.

Or maybe it's possible she would prefer a serated edged tool for the job to help with hacking through sinuey bits

You know that therapy can help you, right?
Old 20 January 2020, 07:32 AM   #59
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
Yes.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2020, 07:45 AM   #60
mandm2525
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Batman
Sorry for your watch saga, but sounds like it is coming to an end. Good luck
mandm2525 is offline   Reply With Quote